Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How do I convert SRAM to Shimano hub?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How do I convert SRAM to Shimano hub?

Old 07-24-21, 06:15 AM
  #1  
GBK233
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 211

Bikes: 2020 Giant Defy Advanced 2, Marin Lucas Valley Flat Bar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 26 Posts
How do I convert SRAM to Shimano hub?

Just bought a new set of off takeoff wheels off FB marketplace. (They haven’t even arrived yet).

These are the specs from the FB ad:
Taken off Specialized Aethos Comp. Only riden for . DT Swiss R470 rim, 20mm internal width, tubeless ready, 24h, Specialized full sealed bearing thru axle hub, centerlock disc, DT Swiss Champion 14G stainless steel spokes, DT Swiss brass nipples, XDR driver.


I realized after I bought the the wheels that it has an SRAM XD driver hub…and my Giant Defy Advanced 2 is setup for Shimano 11 speed.

what exactly do I need to to convert it to Shimano ? Am I likely looking at $90 for a Shimano hub body and caps? If so, is there a certain size hub body I need….or are the all the same dimensions?
GBK233 is offline  
Old 07-24-21, 06:30 AM
  #2  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 26,042
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14393 Post(s)
Liked 2,400 Times in 1,788 Posts
SRAM XD cassettes should be mostly compatible with Shimano shifters and derailleurs. Your first thing would be to decide if the SRAM XD cassettes will work for your needs.

Do you want a 10T lowest sprocket?

I'd verify the exact hub model before ordering replacement parts.
CliffordK is online now  
Old 07-24-21, 06:31 AM
  #3  
GBK233
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 211

Bikes: 2020 Giant Defy Advanced 2, Marin Lucas Valley Flat Bar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
SRAM XD cassettes should be mostly compatible with Shimano shifters and derailleurs. Your first thing would be to decide if the SRAM XD cassettes will work for your needs.

Do you want a 10T lowest sprocket?

I'd verify the exact hub model before ordering replacement parts.
my Defy has Shimano 105 drivetrain…if that helps.
GBK233 is offline  
Old 07-24-21, 07:35 AM
  #4  
sweeks
Senior Member
 
sweeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 1,737

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 149 Posts
Unless the (hypothetical) Shimano replacement hub has the *exact* same dimensions as the SRAM hub, you'll probably also need new spokes. Might as well just buy a whole wheel or, as Clifford K suggests, see if the new wheel works as-is.
sweeks is offline  
Old 07-24-21, 09:41 AM
  #5  
cxwrench
Senior Member
 
cxwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 2,016

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,202 Times in 679 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks View Post
Unless the (hypothetical) Shimano replacement hub has the *exact* same dimensions as the SRAM hub, you'll probably also need new spokes. Might as well just buy a whole wheel or, as Clifford K suggests, see if the new wheel works as-is.
You are completely misunderstanding the issue here. No one is talking about rebuilding a wheel. The OP needs to find the Shimano spline freehub or 'driver' for his hub and install it. That is all.
cxwrench is offline  
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-24-21, 12:40 PM
  #6  
DaveSSS 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Loveland, CO
Posts: 6,497

Bikes: TWO Cinelli superstar disc with SRAM Force AXS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 268 Posts
All you need is a shimano freehub body. Might not be cheap. There are no appropriate sram cassettes. Xdr is 12 speed or useable with xd mountain cassettes with a 1.85mm spacer.
DaveSSS is offline  
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 07-24-21, 01:59 PM
  #7  
Camilo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,020
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 139 Posts
Are you sure the hub is Specialized and not DT Swiss like all the other wheel parts? Your'e probably in luck if it is. On many modern hubs (including most, if not all? DT Swiss ... just did it on my wife's DT Swiss hub), changing the driver / freehub body - from Sram XD to Sram XDR to Shimano can be as simple as just popping the old one off and putting the other one on. Might be some spacers involved depending on the thru axle/dropout spacing. Figure out which hub you have is the first step. Check YouTube and the hub manufacturer for info and instructions to see how easy it can be. Do a YouTube search for something like "swap XD for Shimano" or vice versa. You should be easily able to get a few bucks for the XDR driver.

Hope it works out.
Camilo is offline  
Old 07-24-21, 02:08 PM
  #8  
GBK233
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 211

Bikes: 2020 Giant Defy Advanced 2, Marin Lucas Valley Flat Bar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 26 Posts
[QUOTE=DaveSSS;22155963]All you need is a shimano freehub body. Might not be cheap. There are no appropriate sram cassettes. Xdr is 12 speed or useable with xd mountain cassettes with a 1.85mm spacer.[

something like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20334471650...sAAOSwWyhgcykq
GBK233 is offline  
Old 07-24-21, 02:38 PM
  #9  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 26,042
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14393 Post(s)
Liked 2,400 Times in 1,788 Posts
Originally Posted by GBK233 View Post
Yes, but that will be very brand, and perhaps even model specific.

So, I'd wait until you have the wheels in hand. Check the brand/model of the hub, and order.

That also lists: "Freehub/Driver Type 11-Speed Shimano MTB" (as well as 11-speed everywhere else). One might note that 11-speed MTB may be the same as 8/9/10 speed road.

I am seeing a few DT freehubs listed specifically as 11-speed ROAD. Generally aluminum ones. Some with end caps.
CliffordK is online now  
Old 07-24-21, 10:43 PM
  #10  
sweeks
Senior Member
 
sweeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 1,737

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
You are completely misunderstanding the issue here.
Well, it wouldn't be the first time!
sweeks is offline  
Old 07-27-21, 07:37 PM
  #11  
GBK233
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 211

Bikes: 2020 Giant Defy Advanced 2, Marin Lucas Valley Flat Bar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 26 Posts
Ok…wheels arrived today.

this is the XDR free hub that I just took off the wheel (sorry for the HUUGE pics). What Shimano 11-speed free hub do I need to order? Do I need to end caps also…or can I use the caps from my P-R2 wheels?



GBK233 is offline  
Old 07-27-21, 08:19 PM
  #12  
ShannonM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Humboldt County, CA
Posts: 590
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 246 Times in 175 Posts
Don't SRAM hubs use the Shimano spline pattern? I've been putting SRAM cassettes on Shimano hubs for two decades, so it should work the other way around, no?

--Shannon
ShannonM is offline  
Old 07-28-21, 12:46 AM
  #13  
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington
 
Badger6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brussels (BE) 🇧🇪
Posts: 950

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by GBK233 View Post
Ok…wheels arrived today.

this is the XDR free hub that I just took off the wheel (sorry for the HUUGE pics). What Shimano 11-speed free hub do I need to order? Do I need to end caps also…or can I use the caps from my P-R2 wheels?
So a little secret about Specialized wheels (Roval and Specialized non-branded), they use DT Swiss internals in most of their higher end hubs, and it appears you just pulled it straight off which is a further sign that this is probably DT Swiss (or compatible). That 3 pawl driver body is most likely the same as the driver body found on DT Swiss 360 rear hubs, and the end caps you have will work with the 11-speed road compatible HG splined free hub. I say most likely, the only way to really be sure is call Specialized Rider Care or a local bike shop. This hub is absolutely not a DT Swiss 180/240/350 type with a ratchet drive.

Originally Posted by ShannonM View Post
Don't SRAM hubs use the Shimano spline pattern? I've been putting SRAM cassettes on Shimano hubs for two decades, so it should work the other way around, no?
11-speed road, yes, SRAM used the same Hyperglide spline interface that Shimano uses. SRAM went to a different free hub interface for 12 speed road (XDR) so they could get a 10t high cog on the cassette. An XDR driver will not accept Shimano or SRAM 11-speed.
Badger6 is offline  
Old 07-28-21, 01:05 AM
  #14  
ShannonM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Humboldt County, CA
Posts: 590
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 246 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6 View Post
]
11-speed road, yes, SRAM used the same Hyperglide spline interface that Shimano uses. SRAM went to a different free hub interface for 12 speed road (XDR) so they could get a 10t high cog on the cassette. An XDR driver will not accept Shimano or SRAM 11-speed.
That makes sense, for a 1x12 drivetrain. Other than that, I can't think of a use case for a 10t cog. 26" wheeled tandem, maybe? Or maybe not even that... I had a Rodriguez AL-26 with a 54x12 top gear... I remember spinning it out one time. On the descent from Vandenburg Air Force Base to Santa Maria on the Solvang Century, with my brother stoking, my shoulders on the bars and him laying on my back, passing cars on the freeway with tears running into our ears. I doubt a 10 would have helped us go faster... no computer, but we had to have been doing 70+. (I'll never forget the look on the face of the kid in the back seat of the Camry as we went past... you could have served pizza on his eyeballs.)

Tandems go really, really fast downhill.

--Shannon
ShannonM is offline  
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 07-28-21, 01:11 AM
  #15  
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington
 
Badger6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brussels (BE) 🇧🇪
Posts: 950

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM View Post
That makes sense, for a 1x12 drivetrain. Other than that, I can't think of a use case for a 10t cog.
One post, to avoid hijacking. A 10t cog is useful on MTBs (XD Driver), 11-speed and now 12-speed for use with the smaller chainrings common to MTBs (32, 30, etc.). SRAM brought it over for the 12-speed road (using XDR drivers for the AXS drivetrain) to match with their smaller 12-speed double chain sets, thus getting the same gear inches as the previous "standard" 50/34, 52/36, 53/39 chainsets with 11t cogs. Effectively, people like me running 52/36 on the road have no use for a 10t cog, but if one was on a SRAM AXS 46/33 or 48/35 the 10t makes all sorts of sense.
Badger6 is offline  
Old 07-28-21, 01:15 AM
  #16  
cpach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mt Shasta, CA, USA
Posts: 1,919

Bikes: Too many. Cannondale SuperSix, Trek Remedy 8, Trek Crossrip+ get the most ride time.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 168 Posts
You best (only?) bet is to try to contact Specialized to see if they sell a hyperglide freehub body for that wheel, as they don't give any specifics to the hub make (everything else on the wheel is DT, but not the hub). It does kinda look like a pawl drive DT swiss, but it also looks a lot like a Novatec or any other number of similar 3 pawl designs. A Specialize dealer might be able to help you, assuming they're speccing a similar hub for a number of bikes.

If you can't find a new freehub body, you probably should just sell the wheels to someone who wants an XDR driver body wheel.

Last edited by cpach; 07-28-21 at 01:23 AM.
cpach is offline  
Old 07-28-21, 03:45 AM
  #17  
GBK233
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 211

Bikes: 2020 Giant Defy Advanced 2, Marin Lucas Valley Flat Bar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach View Post
You best (only?) bet is to try to contact Specialized to see if they sell a hyperglide freehub body for that wheel, as they don't give any specifics to the hub make (everything else on the wheel is DT, but not the hub). It does kinda look like a pawl drive DT swiss, but it also looks a lot like a Novatec or any other number of similar 3 pawl designs. A Specialize dealer might be able to help you, assuming they're speccing a similar hub for a number of bikes.

If you can't find a new freehub body, you probably should just sell the wheels to someone who wants an XDR driver body wheel.
Any idea why the XDR has a double row of pawls? All the Shimano-type free hubs I’ve seen only have 3 single pawls. I’m going to call specialized. If I can get this sorted out easily(somewhat cheaply)…I’ll keep the wheels. If not….I’ll just resell them.
GBK233 is offline  
Old 07-28-21, 03:55 AM
  #18  
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington
 
Badger6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brussels (BE) 🇧🇪
Posts: 950

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 234 Posts
Look carefully at the pawls GBK233. There is only one row of pawls, the "split" you see is the groove that the retention spring sits in. I'm nearly certain the driver body is DT Swiss. But as I said, above, and was echoed, call Specialized Rider Care. They can tell you the part number you need, then you can call your LBS to order it (Specialized rarely sells parts directly to consumers).
Badger6 is offline  
Old 07-28-21, 11:39 AM
  #19  
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington
 
Badger6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brussels (BE) 🇧🇪
Posts: 950

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by GBK233 View Post
Any idea why the XDR has a double row of pawls? All the Shimano-type free hubs I’ve seen only have 3 single pawls. I’m going to call specialized. If I can get this sorted out easily(somewhat cheaply)…I’ll keep the wheels. If not….I’ll just resell them.
If indeed that hub is DT Swiss specs, even if branded "Specialized", it would use this free hub body/driver since with those pawls it is a 360 hub. You'd need to source the right end caps, which is easy, LBS or google can help.
Badger6 is offline  
Old 07-29-21, 12:31 PM
  #20  
GBK233
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 211

Bikes: 2020 Giant Defy Advanced 2, Marin Lucas Valley Flat Bar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6 View Post
If indeed that hub is DT Swiss specs, even if branded "Specialized", it would use this free hub body/driver since with those pawls it is a 360 hub. You'd need to source the right end caps, which is easy, LBS or google can help.

Specialized Rider Care gave this as the freehub I need. I don’t know if it’s actually some special freehub size…or just a DT Swiss freehub with a diff name

https://www.amaincycling.com/special...xoCk2UQAvD_BwE
GBK233 is offline  
Likes For GBK233:
Old 07-29-21, 12:38 PM
  #21  
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington
 
Badger6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brussels (BE) 🇧🇪
Posts: 950

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by GBK233 View Post
Specialized Rider Care gave this as the freehub I need. I don’t know if it’s actually some special freehub size…or just a DT Swiss freehub with a diff name

https://www.amaincycling.com/special...xoCk2UQAvD_BwE
That “looks” like the DT Swiss driver. The price is great. If it the DT Swiss driver, it’s definitely able to rebuilt. I’d jump on it.
Badger6 is offline  
Old 07-29-21, 02:32 PM
  #22  
GBK233
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 211

Bikes: 2020 Giant Defy Advanced 2, Marin Lucas Valley Flat Bar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6 View Post
That “looks” like the DT Swiss driver. The price is great. If it the DT Swiss driver, it’s definitely able to rebuilt. I’d jump on it.
Found a guy on FB that wants to swap his new Shimano(from a specialized allez) for my Sram. He actually contacted the seller of the my wheels asking for a trade before I bought the wheels. She had told him No at the time, but gave me his info.
So I might have this worked out. Fingers crossed
GBK233 is offline  
Old 07-29-21, 04:02 PM
  #23  
cxwrench
Senior Member
 
cxwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 2,016

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,202 Times in 679 Posts
I agree it 'looks' like a DT 3 pawl freehub but the pictures are so terrible I can't be sure. Come on OP, check 'em before you post 'em, make sure they're in focus.
cxwrench is offline  
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-29-21, 05:16 PM
  #24  
Camilo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,020
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
I agree it 'looks' like a DT 3 pawl freehub but the pictures are so terrible I can't be sure. Come on OP, check 'em before you post 'em, make sure they're in focus.
The focus is perfect to my eyes. I can see the minute detail of his fingerprints.
Camilo is offline  
Old 07-29-21, 08:39 PM
  #25  
cxwrench
Senior Member
 
cxwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 2,016

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,202 Times in 679 Posts
Originally Posted by camilo View Post
the focus is perfect to my eyes. I can see the minute detail of his fingerprints.
:d
cxwrench is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.