Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Converting Wheels to Tubeless?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Converting Wheels to Tubeless?

Old 10-25-21, 03:45 PM
  #1  
AMoney
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Converting Wheels to Tubeless?

I have a Nature Boy All City 2015. One of my rear wheels has a Weinnman LP 18 rim. The stock wheels (front and rear) have Alex XC23 rims. I don't think that either rim is advertised as tubeless ready. Could the wheels be converted to tubeless. If so, how would converting a clincher wheel to tubeless be different than converting a tubeless ready wheel to tubeless? I use the bike for cyclocross so it has and will continue to have cyclocross tires. If the wheels can't be converted to tubeless, do you know of any fix/free wheels that are tubeless or tubeless ready and would be suitable for cyclocross? Thanks
AMoney is offline  
Old 10-25-21, 05:10 PM
  #2  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,815

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2933 Post(s)
Liked 3,026 Times in 1,383 Posts
It is possible to convert non-tubeless-ready wheels to tubeless for cyclocross. I've done it a few times and some rim/tire combinations work better than others. You need a tubeless tire for sure. Make sure to tape the rim bed really well. You may need an additional layer or two of gorilla tape to build up the rim bed. Also, Skinny Strippers really help with the seal, although they don't work with all rim/tire combinations.
caloso is offline  
Old 10-25-21, 06:05 PM
  #3  
tyrion
Senior Member
 
tyrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,828

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 808 Posts
Originally Posted by AMoney View Post
I have a Nature Boy All City 2015. One of my rear wheels has a Weinnman LP 18 rim. The stock wheels (front and rear) have Alex XC23 rims. I don't think that either rim is advertised as tubeless ready. Could the wheels be converted to tubeless. If so, how would converting a clincher wheel to tubeless be different than converting a tubeless ready wheel to tubeless? I use the bike for cyclocross so it has and will continue to have cyclocross tires. If the wheels can't be converted to tubeless, do you know of any fix/free wheels that are tubeless or tubeless ready and would be suitable for cyclocross? Thanks
Tubeless rim brake fixie wheels are rare, I think, but you can get them built by prowheelbuilder.com

I got some wheels that I spec'ed out and they built and I think it's pretty good value. Their online wheel builder tool is really nice - as you pick your parts it tells you the price and the weight of the wheels you're spec'ing. Keep an eye on the availability of the parts your selecting if you want the wheels in a timely fashion - I didn't pay attention to that and had to wait months for my wheels (not prowheelbuilder.com fault - they had to wait for the parts I spec'ed - Covid bike supply delays).

For CX rim brake tubeless rims I'd go with Velocity Quills or Velocity A23s. There's also some DT Swiss rims that are tubeless and rim brake.

Last edited by tyrion; 10-25-21 at 06:12 PM.
tyrion is offline  
Old 10-25-21, 10:07 PM
  #4  
cpach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mt Shasta, CA, USA
Posts: 2,062

Bikes: Too many. Cannondale SuperSix, Trek Remedy 8, Trek Crossrip+ get the most ride time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 210 Posts
My experience is that in the era of great tubeless compatible rims, for CX in particular it's not worth messing with conversions of non compatible rims. The one time I tried ages ago my tire dismounted mid race causing me to crash and have to run the rest of the lap to finish DFL.

130mm fix/free rim brake is a pretty rare spec, but any decent wheel builder should be able to build you something reasonable. You can either have your existing wheels unlaced and rebuilt with new rims, or there are some good options in 130 fixed/free including All City Hubs and Surly Ultra New hubs. You can also use a cup/cone track hub if you replace the axle with a longer one and add spacers. Any wider tubeless compatible road rim is reasonable for CX. Still, this would cost in the region of $300 at a minimum.
cpach is offline  
Likes For cpach:
Old 10-27-21, 03:55 AM
  #5  
AMoney
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
Tubeless rim brake fixie wheels are rare, I think, but you can get them built by prowheelbuilder.com

I got some wheels that I spec'ed out and they built and I think it's pretty good value. Their online wheel builder tool is really nice - as you pick your parts it tells you the price and the weight of the wheels you're spec'ing. Keep an eye on the availability of the parts your selecting if you want the wheels in a timely fashion - I didn't pay attention to that and had to wait months for my wheels (not prowheelbuilder.com fault - they had to wait for the parts I spec'ed - Covid bike supply delays).

For CX rim brake tubeless rims I'd go with Velocity Quills or Velocity A23s. There's also some DT Swiss rims that are tubeless and rim brake.
Thanks for the info. I bought this wheelset which is tubeless ready, rim brake compatible, and suitable for cyclocross: https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=4217
AMoney is offline  
Likes For AMoney:
Old 10-28-21, 02:01 PM
  #6  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,815

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2933 Post(s)
Liked 3,026 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by AMoney View Post
Thanks for the info. I bought this wheelset which is tubeless ready, rim brake compatible, and suitable for cyclocross: https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=4217
That looks like the ticket!
caloso is offline  
Old 10-29-21, 08:07 PM
  #7  
cpach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mt Shasta, CA, USA
Posts: 2,062

Bikes: Too many. Cannondale SuperSix, Trek Remedy 8, Trek Crossrip+ get the most ride time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 210 Posts
That looks pretty great, actually, and a pretty reasonable price. My personal wheels on my SS/FG CX bike are on A23s--they've always seated tubeless well and have had great bead retention.
cpach is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.