Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

20 inch wheel

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

20 inch wheel

Old 12-14-22, 01:00 PM
  #1  
jdogg111
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 25 Posts
20 inch wheel

20 inch wheels, what's the difference between 406 and 491, 591 or whatever it is, I have a zizzo liberte and thinking about the switch e kit and that was asked, I thought 20 inch was all the info I needed. Apparently not. Any help would be appreciated.
jdogg111 is offline  
Old 12-14-22, 01:18 PM
  #2  
icemilkcoffee 
Senior Member
 
icemilkcoffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,812
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1082 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 585 Posts
Start here:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Look for the ISO or ETRTO sizing numbers on your tire sidewall. If it's a 20X1.5, it's most likely ISO 406
icemilkcoffee is online now  
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 12-14-22, 01:26 PM
  #3  
Andrew R Stewart 
Senior Member
 
Andrew R Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 17,127

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3790 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,801 Posts
406 is the tire's bead seat diameter, or the inside of the tire's edge and the location in the rim that the tire bead sits at, and is what the International Standards Org has agreed to be the definitive method. It is a measurement, not a label which is what "20" is. For that same rim (the 406 sized one) tires of different widths will have different rolling diameters (as a wider tire casing will also be a taller one). More and more tire and rim manufactures are using the ISO dimension as it eliminates confusion for those who are suppose to represent the bike industry (like your LBS or on line retailers).

Sheldon Brown's website has a good explanation of the different labeled tire sizes and their actual rim fit (that ISO dimension). The history of tire sizing involved decades of different countries manufacturers making tires for their home markets then as the bike brands became more world wide and used off shore sourced components and exported their bikes the many different bead/rim fits became a hinderance to commerce. In the 1970s (aprox) manufactures began to talk about this and first the tire/rim fits were measured in a specific way (ETRTO) then later under the ISO's umbrella which added bead and rim interface shape specs too.

All this is very important to get right if the bike is using rim brakes. To make sure the replacement wheel/rim still mates with the brake pads. But if one is running a hub brake (or no brake...) than the rim's placement WRT the frame is only a concern if a mounted tire, of the wanted width/height, contacted the frame/fork. The "safest" way to only buy once is to get the same ISO speced tires/rims. If a seller can't provide this data go elsewhere. No need for you to be hassled by your getting wrong parts because the seller didn't want to be forthcoming. Andy
__________________
AndrewRStewart
Andrew R Stewart is offline  
Likes For Andrew R Stewart:
Old 12-14-22, 01:34 PM
  #4  
Moe Zhoost
Half way there
 
Moe Zhoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,878

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 497 Posts
Your tires should be marked with the size. The Swytch kit comes with a complete wheel so it's important that you get the same size as the original. Most of the folders come with 406 wheels but I've seen some 451s.
Moe Zhoost is offline  
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 12-14-22, 02:26 PM
  #5  
momoman
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 225

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 78 Posts
I have a Zizzo Liberte and just bought new wheels so I learned a lot about 20Ē wheels.

The Liberte comes with 20Ē 406 wheels, 74mm wide hubs front and 130mm wide back hub. The frame can fit 451 wheels which have a larger diameter and circumference but then you would need to change your brake calipers or buy adapters.

If you buy a 406 74mm front Swytch wheel itíll be a simple swap and you can reuse your existing front tire and may not even have to adjust your brake pads much. 20Ē 406 tires are also easier to find and have wider sizes than 451tires.
momoman is offline  
Likes For momoman:
Old 12-14-22, 04:30 PM
  #6  
jdogg111
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by momoman View Post
I have a Zizzo Liberte and just bought new wheels so I learned a lot about 20Ē wheels.

The Liberte comes with 20Ē 406 wheels, 74mm wide hubs front and 130mm wide back hub. The frame can fit 451 wheels which have a larger diameter and circumference but then you would need to change your brake calipers or buy adapters.

If you buy a 406 74mm front Swytch wheel itíll be a simple swap and you can reuse your existing front tire and may not even have to adjust your brake pads much. 20Ē 406 tires are also easier to find and have wider sizes than 451tires.
thanks for the info, just curious, what size tire are you using now, I'm thinking of at the very least going to 1.75
jdogg111 is offline  
Old 12-14-22, 04:42 PM
  #7  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,405
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by jdogg111 View Post
... what size tire are you using now, I'm thinking of at the very least going to 1.75
I would bet the farm on 1.5" OEM. A 406 wheel can safely be assumed to work with a 1.5" tire (and 451 with 1.1") with 1.75 (at most) possible without fenders.
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 12-14-22, 04:57 PM
  #8  
momoman
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 225

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by jdogg111 View Post
thanks for the info, just curious, what size tire are you using now, I'm thinking of at the very least going to 1.75
I went the opposite as your plans. I went with Schwalbe One 20 x 1.1Ē tires. Iíll ride the Litepro aero wheels on the bike trails and known city streets. Iíll swap to the stock wheels and 1.5Ē tires when taking the bike on trips. I donít ride on dirt trails but if I did I would get different tires on the stock wheels.



New Litepro Aero S42 406 wheels with 13.2mm/19mm rim width 40mm profile wheels and Schwalbe One 406 20Ē x 1.1Ē tires that measure 26mm wide on these rims.

Stock wheel with 1.5Ē tire vs. 1.1Ē tire.

The new tires are lower profile and narrower than the stock. The brake pads didnít need adjusting. The new rims are narrower so I adjusted the brake lever barrel adjuster to remove some slack.
momoman is offline  
Old 12-14-22, 05:02 PM
  #9  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 11,449

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3549 Post(s)
Liked 2,871 Times in 1,922 Posts
Also FYI Tern makes excellent folding bikes that are already equipped with a nice reliable Bosch system with excellent support throughout. The Tern Vektron is the one for folding but the S10 variant would be the ideal one, decent set of Deore 10 speed gears, Bosch Performance Line motor and Magura Brakes with wider tires.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 12-15-22, 05:16 AM
  #10  
jdogg111
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by momoman View Post
I went the opposite as your plans. I went with Schwalbe One 20 x 1.1Ē tires. Iíll ride the Litepro aero wheels on the bike trails and known city streets. Iíll swap to the stock wheels and 1.5Ē tires when taking the bike on trips. I donít ride on dirt trails but if I did I would get different tires on the stock wheels.



New Litepro Aero S42 406 wheels with 13.2mm/19mm rim width 40mm profile wheels and Schwalbe One 406 20Ē x 1.1Ē tires that measure 26mm wide on these rims.

Stock wheel with 1.5Ē tire vs. 1.1Ē tire.

The new tires are lower profile and narrower than the stock. The brake pads didnít need adjusting. The new rims are narrower so I adjusted the brake lever barrel adjuster to remove some slack.
very nice, interesting alternative, can I ask how much this conversion cost, weight savings, and does it make the bike easier to ride ? Where did u get the wheels? I put an 8 speed trigger shifter on mine with moustache bars and really like that setup.
jdogg111 is offline  
Old 12-15-22, 01:56 PM
  #11  
momoman
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 225

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by jdogg111 View Post
very nice, interesting alternative, can I ask how much this conversion cost, weight savings, and does it make the bike easier to ride ? Where did u get the wheels? I put an 8 speed trigger shifter on mine with moustache bars and really like that setup.
I think I saved about 2 lbs from swapping to the new wheels and the Brooks carbon rail C13 saddle. I installed ultra lightweight 25g Ridenow TPU inner tubes which were much lighter than the butyl tubes weighing 100-125g or so.

I bought the wheels from Aliexpress during their 11/11 Singles Day sale. The wheels were $87 shipped, but to get the free shipping I had to spend $200 otherwise the shipping was $100. I actually bought 2 sets of wheels and will sell one.

The bike feels quicker on the acceleration and easier on climbs, but itís a harsher ride with the lower profile and narrower tires pumped up to 100-110 psi. It also feels twitchier.

I plan on riding the Litepro wheels locally on group rides with friends on familiar roads and bike paths. Iíll ride the stock wheels when itís wet, or when riding on unfamiliar roads when I travel.

Do you have a picture of your Moustache bar? Iím thinking of installing that style. Where did you put the brake levers?

The new wheels, tires and tubes were much lighter than the stock. Maybe 1-1/2 lbs lighter for the pair vs. the stock. I weighed everything but lost my notes. Iíll re-weigh everything in the future when I have time.

25g ultralight inner tube.
momoman is offline  
Old 12-15-22, 03:04 PM
  #12  
jdogg111
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by momoman View Post
I think I saved about 2 lbs from swapping to the new wheels and the Brooks carbon rail C13 saddle. I installed ultra lightweight 25g Ridenow TPU inner tubes which were much lighter than the butyl tubes weighing 100-125g or so.

I bought the wheels from Aliexpress during their 11/11 Singles Day sale. The wheels were $87 shipped, but to get the free shipping I had to spend $200 otherwise the shipping was $100. I actually bought 2 sets of wheels and will sell one.

The bike feels quicker on the acceleration and easier on climbs, but itís a harsher ride with the lower profile and narrower tires pumped up to 100-110 psi. It also feels twitchier.

I plan on riding the Litepro wheels locally on group rides with friends on familiar roads and bike paths. Iíll ride the stock wheels when itís wet, or when riding on unfamiliar roads when I travel.

Do you have a picture of your Moustache bar? Iím thinking of installing that style. Where did you put the brake levers?

The new wheels, tires and tubes were much lighter than the stock. Maybe 1-1/2 lbs lighter for the pair vs. the stock. I weighed everything but lost my notes. Iíll re-weigh everything in the future when I have time.

25g ultralight inner tube.
I'll take some pictures and post once it warms up. These bars are really just swept back bars but u did put trekking bars on it, that may be what you're thinking about. They can be flipped so the levers are either top or bottom depending on how you want them.
jdogg111 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.