Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing Dropout

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Replacing Dropout

Old 03-15-23, 11:25 PM
  #1  
iamLefty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Replacing Dropout

Will be replacing the dropout of my bike. A few questions.

1. Do i need to grease the threads of the dropout screws and the rd? And do i need to grease the upper part of the dropout as well?

2. How tight should the screws and the rd be? First time doing this so i am very careful.



iamLefty is offline  
Old 03-15-23, 11:34 PM
  #2  
Russ Roth
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: South Shore of Long Island
Posts: 2,325

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 557 Posts
The screws sometimes have a litle blue loctite on them, I've never bothered greasing them, same with the rear der bolt and have never had a problem with things coming undone at a later date. The screws usually use a 2.5 or 3mm allen wrench, so make them snug but don't use a lot of force. No idea the actual amount but with the 2.5mm wrench especially you can see the wrench on a longer t-handle start to lightly twist, that's more than tight enough.
Russ Roth is offline  
Old 03-15-23, 11:50 PM
  #3  
iamLefty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth View Post
The screws sometimes have a litle blue loctite on them, I've never bothered greasing them, same with the rear der bolt and have never had a problem with things coming undone at a later date. The screws usually use a 2.5 or 3mm allen wrench, so make them snug but don't use a lot of force. No idea the actual amount but with the 2.5mm wrench especially you can see the wrench on a longer t-handle start to lightly twist, that's more than tight enough.
Oh thatís loctite? Yeah, the screws have them. Had a real hard time finding a replacement dropout for my caad8. Almost bought a china made one. Got no t-handle but i got long bondhus hex wrenches. Hey, thanks! I wanna be extra sure before i proceed.

Itís easier to do this with chain removed, right? My shimano chain does not have a quick link. I didnít bother to put one since i just clean the chain while on the bike. Got a couple spare links here.

Last edited by iamLefty; 03-15-23 at 11:57 PM.
iamLefty is offline  
Old 03-16-23, 12:16 AM
  #4  
maddog34
Senior Member
 
maddog34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NW Oregon
Posts: 2,121

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by iamLefty View Post
Oh that’s loctite? Yeah, the screws have them. Had a real hard time finding a replacement dropout for my caad8. Almost bought a china made one. Got no t-handle but i got long bondhus hex wrenches. Hey, thanks! I wanna be extra sure before i proceed.

It’s easier to do this with chain removed, right? My shimano chain does not have a quick link. I didn’t bother to put one since i just clean the chain while on the bike. Got a couple spare links here.
there is no need to remove the chain from the bike... just take the wheel off the bike and take the chain off the chainrings onto the bottom bracket. Place a rag around the bottom bracket if the paint is in great shape to prevent scratches. the Derailleur will now have no tension on it from the chain.
Remember to engage the Derailleur stop/B-screw with the Der. Hanger stop. i mention this because someone was trying to mount an expensive derailleur WITHOUT considering those stop tabs a few days ago A bent B-screw will be the result of NOT paying attention to things.. or even a ruined Derailleur. you may know about the B-screw... the next reader may not.....

https://image.ibb.co/g3kfJQ/IMG_5339.png

Last edited by maddog34; 03-16-23 at 12:26 AM.
maddog34 is offline  
Likes For maddog34:
Old 03-16-23, 02:08 AM
  #5  
iamLefty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34 View Post
there is no need to remove the chain from the bike... just take the wheel off the bike and take the chain off the chainrings onto the bottom bracket. Place a rag around the bottom bracket if the paint is in great shape to prevent scratches. the Derailleur will now have no tension on it from the chain.
Remember to engage the Derailleur stop/B-screw with the Der. Hanger stop. i mention this because someone was trying to mount an expensive derailleur WITHOUT considering those stop tabs a few days ago A bent B-screw will be the result of NOT paying attention to things.. or even a ruined Derailleur. you may know about the B-screw... the next reader may not.....

https://image.ibb.co/g3kfJQ/IMG_5339.png
Iíll remember that. Thanks!
iamLefty is offline  
Old 03-16-23, 05:46 AM
  #6  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 9,858

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2458 Post(s)
Liked 2,839 Times in 1,734 Posts
Originally Posted by iamLefty View Post
. Had a real hard time finding a replacement dropout for my caad8. Almost bought a china made one. Got no t-handle but i got long bondhus hex wrenches. Hey, thanks! I wanna be extra sure before i proceed..
Good reason to buy a couple spares.Might have better luck if you called it a "derailleur hanger" which is what it is called. Best practice is to get it aligned after installation.
dedhed is offline  
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-16-23, 06:23 AM
  #7  
SJX426 
Senior Member
 
SJX426's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
Posts: 9,236

Bikes: '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 1,874 Times in 946 Posts
Yup. The hanger attaches to the drop out.
__________________
Bikes don't stand alone. They are two tired.
SJX426 is offline  
Old 03-16-23, 06:51 AM
  #8  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5,188
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3227 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 451 Posts
Keep in mind that the screws aren't structural - they are there to locate the hanger - your axle and quick release are what really hold it is place. Do all you alignment checks with the wheel in place.
Kontact is offline  
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-16-23, 08:47 AM
  #9  
Barry2 
LRųP=HR
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,851

Bikes: Holdsworth 1979 Special, C-dale 1993 MT3000 Tandem & 1996 F700CAD3, Cervelo 2022 R5 & 2018 R3, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
Best practice is to get it aligned after installation.
Just to add a little detail to the comment above.

Replaceable derailleur hangers are made of aluminum for two reasons.
1. If you hit the rear derailleur (crash or drop bike) the hanger will bend and not the frame.
2. You can bend the hanger using a ďHanger Alignment ToolĒ to adjust and ensure the rear derailleur is aligned with the wheel.

New hangers are not pre-aligned and should be aligned at the time they are installed to the frame.
You canít eyeball this, tolerance is only ~3mm at the wheel rim.
Failure to align the hanger can result in poor shifting that you just canít adjust out.


All the best

Barry
Barry2 is offline  
Likes For Barry2:
Old 03-16-23, 09:09 AM
  #10  
iamLefty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2 View Post
Just to add a little detail to the comment above.

Replaceable derailleur hangers are made of aluminum for two reasons.
1. If you hit the rear derailleur (crash or drop bike) the hanger will bend and not the frame.
2. You can bend the hanger using a ďHanger Alignment ToolĒ to adjust and ensure the rear derailleur is aligned with the wheel.

New hangers are not pre-aligned and should be aligned at the time they are installed to the frame.
You canít eyeball this, tolerance is only ~3mm at the wheel rim.
Failure to align the hanger can result in poor shifting that you just canít adjust out.


All the best

Barry
The hanger on the bike was straightened with an alignment tool 2 yrs ago in a bike shop. Bike fell due to strong wind. Itís always at the back of my mind to replace it when i find one, for peace of mind. I was always worried it might just snap. The bike shifts ok, but the hanger is not perfectly straight. Anyway, i found a replacement a few days ago and bought it.

Not familiar with new hangers. Hopefully this is not one of those new hangers
you mentioned since i donít have an alignment tool. This is a Union GH-192. Iím hoping i just need to install it without any need to align it.
iamLefty is offline  
Old 03-16-23, 09:13 AM
  #11  
iamLefty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Hereís the hanger on my bike and the one i bought.

iamLefty is offline  
Old 03-16-23, 09:16 AM
  #12  
Barry2 
LRųP=HR
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,851

Bikes: Holdsworth 1979 Special, C-dale 1993 MT3000 Tandem & 1996 F700CAD3, Cervelo 2022 R5 & 2018 R3, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 552 Posts
Align it, don’t align it, your choice. (BTW it’s all hangers that should be aligned)
But at least now if you have shifting issues, I hope you won’t buy a new derailleur.

Barry
Barry2 is offline  
Likes For Barry2:
Old 03-16-23, 09:28 AM
  #13  
iamLefty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
Keep in mind that the screws aren't structural - they are there to locate the hanger - your axle and quick release are what really hold it is place. Do all you alignment checks with the wheel in place.
Dang. I thought i just need to put the new hanger, then the rd and wheels, do some tune up and thatís it. Didnít know i need to do alignment check. How do i align this though, would i need an alignment tool? Donít have one. Btw the screws are bolted from the inside of the frame.
iamLefty is offline  
Old 03-16-23, 09:31 AM
  #14  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 9,858

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2458 Post(s)
Liked 2,839 Times in 1,734 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2 View Post
You canít eyeball this, tolerance is only ~3mm at the wheel rim.
Failure to align the hanger can result in poor shifting that you just canít adjust out.

"Eyecromiter" is usually "good enough" up to about 7 speed. Beyond that the tool is pretty much required.
dedhed is offline  
Old 03-16-23, 09:36 AM
  #15  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 9,858

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2458 Post(s)
Liked 2,839 Times in 1,734 Posts
Originally Posted by iamLefty View Post
Dang. I thought i just need to put the new hanger, then the rd and wheels, do some tune up and thatís it. Didnít know i need to do alignment check. How do i align this though, would i need an alignment tool? Donít have one. Btw the screws are bolted from the inside of the frame.
Google derailleur alignment gauge. there are cheaper and homemade solutions as well, like a wheel

​​​​​​https://www.parktool.com/en-us/produ...nt-gauge-dag-3
dedhed is offline  
Old 03-16-23, 09:56 AM
  #16  
Barry2 
LRųP=HR
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,851

Bikes: Holdsworth 1979 Special, C-dale 1993 MT3000 Tandem & 1996 F700CAD3, Cervelo 2022 R5 & 2018 R3, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 552 Posts
If I turned up at my local bike store with the derailleur removed and needing the alignment only, they charged me ($20 cash in the beer fund I suspect) and did it on the spot while I waited.
If you needed the derailleur adjusted as well, then they wanted to keep the bike.

I now own the tool and check/align hangers for me and my buddies. Cost is usually IPA or coffee.
My 11 speed and 12 speed bikes just need to topple over on their righthand side to require a realignment.
The tool has more than paid for itself.

Barry

BTW - As with all tools there are cheaper options than the name brands, for infrequent use these will likely be fine.
Barry2 is offline  
Old 03-16-23, 10:10 AM
  #17  
iamLefty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2 View Post
If I turned up at my local bike store with the derailleur removed and needing the alignment only, they charged me ($20 cash in the beer fund I suspect) and did it on the spot while I waited.
If you needed the derailleur adjusted as well, then they wanted to keep the bike.

I now own the tool and check/align hangers for me and my buddies. Cost is usually IPA or coffee.
My 11 speed and 12 speed bikes just need to topple over on their righthand side to require a realignment.
The tool has more than paid for itself.

Barry

BTW - As with all tools there are cheaper options than the name brands, for infrequent use these will likely be fine.
I paid the bike mechanic around $10 when i had my hanger aligned. Itís cheaper here, most shops just charge $1 for a tune up. Iíll probably end up bringing the bike to him again.

Anyway, iíll go check out some alignment tools first. Is this easy to learn?

Last edited by iamLefty; 03-16-23 at 10:17 AM.
iamLefty is offline  
Likes For iamLefty:
Old 03-16-23, 10:14 AM
  #18  
Barry2 
LRųP=HR
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,851

Bikes: Holdsworth 1979 Special, C-dale 1993 MT3000 Tandem & 1996 F700CAD3, Cervelo 2022 R5 & 2018 R3, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 552 Posts
Yes it's easy to do.
Just go really SLOW and don't over bend the hanger.
Being aluminum they will only take so much bending.

Barry
Barry2 is offline  
Old 03-16-23, 10:17 AM
  #19  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 3,589

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2148 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 1,069 Posts
Originally Posted by iamLefty View Post
Is this sasy to learn?
Assuming you mean "easy," then yes. Watch a couple YouTube videos. You'll thank yourself in the end for learning how to do it yourself.

Don't let specialized tools scare you. That's why they were designed--to make jobs easier, not more complicated.
smd4 is offline  
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-16-23, 10:22 AM
  #20  
iamLefty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2 View Post
Yes it's easy to do.
Just go really SLOW and don't over bend the hanger.
Being aluminum they will only take so much bending.

Barry
If i see a decently priced one, i just might buy it and learn this thing.
iamLefty is offline  
Likes For iamLefty:
Old 03-16-23, 10:29 AM
  #21  
Barry2 
LRųP=HR
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,851

Bikes: Holdsworth 1979 Special, C-dale 1993 MT3000 Tandem & 1996 F700CAD3, Cervelo 2022 R5 & 2018 R3, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by iamLefty View Post
If i see a decently priced one, i just might buy it and learn this thing.
Cheap tools abound


In my posts above there are clickable links (text is pale blue and underlined) did you miss them?

Barry

Last edited by Barry2; 03-16-23 at 10:35 AM.
Barry2 is offline  
Old 03-16-23, 10:33 AM
  #22  
iamLefty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4 View Post
Assuming you mean "easy," then yes. Watch a couple YouTube videos. You'll thank yourself in the end for learning how to do it yourself.

Don't let specialized tools scare you. That's why they were designed--to make jobs easier, not more complicated.
Iím a bit new to this, why iím both excited and a bit scared to cause some damage. I usually just bring the bike to a mechanic. But now i wanted to learn on my own, make this a new hobby. Iíll see if i can find a decently priced alignment tool.
iamLefty is offline  
Likes For iamLefty:
Old 03-16-23, 10:36 AM
  #23  
iamLefty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2 View Post
Cheap tools abound


In my posts above there are clickable links (text is pale blue and underlined) did you miss them?

Barry
Just saw them. Iíll check Ďem out.
iamLefty is offline  
Old 03-16-23, 10:55 AM
  #24  
icemilkcoffee 
Senior Member
 
icemilkcoffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,969
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 655 Posts
Come on. Just how often does a brand new hanger need to be bent and aligned? Just slap it on and go.
icemilkcoffee is offline  
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 03-16-23, 11:03 AM
  #25  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 3,589

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2148 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 1,069 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee View Post
Come on. Just how often does a brand new hanger need to be bent and aligned? Just slap it on and go.
He can probably just re-align the hanger that's currently on the bike.
smd4 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.