Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Huret Jubilee Maintenance

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Huret Jubilee Maintenance

Old 04-07-23, 10:05 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 8

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh International, 1975 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Huret Jubilee Maintenance

I recently bought a Raleigh Competition and have a few questions on the maintenance of the Huret Jubliee that came with it-specifically:
  • Just how fragile is it?
  • are the decals sensitive to mineral spirits?
  • How do I know if the pulleys are shot? Mine don't spin freely, but I can't tell if thats a sign that they need replacing.
jollingsworth13 is offline  
Old 04-07-23, 10:44 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,998

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26479 Post(s)
Liked 10,444 Times in 7,246 Posts
.
...I have one of those, equipped with Huret Jubilee derailleurs. The front is a little more fragile than the rear, but mine continue to work well.
But even the rear, as you can see f rom looking at it, is a little more easily damaged than some of the Japanese made mechanisms.

I cleaned mine in a solution of purple cleaner from Simple Green, in an ultrasonic cleaner, so I can't speak to your mineral spirits question.

The most likely scenario on why your pulleys won't spin is that the lubricant inside at the bushings is solidified. But regardless of the cause, you need to disassemble the mechanism to determine the problem. Then clean in something ( I use that ultrasonic, but mineral spirits have never lifted any component labeling for me, back when I was still using it.) Then reassemble with fresh grease in the pulley bushings, and re-lube the pivot points of the mechanism.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 04-07-23, 11:15 PM
  #3  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 8

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh International, 1975 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
.
...I have one of those, equipped with Huret Jubilee derailleurs. The front is a little more fragile than the rear, but mine continue to work well.
But even the rear, as you can see f rom looking at it, is a little more easily damaged than some of the Japanese made mechanisms.

I cleaned mine in a solution of purple cleaner from Simple Green, in an ultrasonic cleaner, so I can't speak to your mineral spirits question.

The most likely scenario on why your pulleys won't spin is that the lubricant inside at the bushings is solidified. But regardless of the cause, you need to disassemble the mechanism to determine the problem. Then clean in something ( I use that ultrasonic, but mineral spirits have never lifted any component labeling for me, back when I was still using it.) Then reassemble with fresh grease in the pulley bushings, and re-lube the pivot points of the mechanism.

Thank you! any sage advice for tearing down the pulleys?
jollingsworth13 is offline  
Old 04-08-23, 07:17 AM
  #4  
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 24,842

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,960 Posts
Originally Posted by jollingsworth13
I recently bought a Raleigh Competition and have a few questions on the maintenance of the Huret Jubliee that came with it-specifically:
  • Just how fragile is it?
As long as you don't shift it into the spokes or crash on the drive-side, the rear derailleur will hold up fine. The front derailleurs are more of a concern, with a clamp that can easily break with over-zealous tightening.
  • are the decals sensitive to mineral spirits?
I haven't noticed a problem, but I don't soak them for extended periods.
  • How do I know if the pulleys are shot? Mine don't spin freely, but I can't tell if thats a sign that they need replacing.
Unlike many other derailleurs that use a simple bushing in the pulleys, the Jubilee pulleys use ball bearings and a cup & cone arrangement to adjust preload. Yours could simply be set too tight, or the bearings may be dirty. Remove the pulley, unscrew the cone, and take a look inside.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Old 04-08-23, 10:06 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,998

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26479 Post(s)
Liked 10,444 Times in 7,246 Posts
Originally Posted by jollingsworth13
Thank you! any sage advice for tearing down the pulleys?
...if they are those original ball bearing pulleys, I've never actually taken one of those apart. But your first step is to remove the two bolts that hold the rear pulley cage together, and remove the free side of the cage, along with the pulleys and those bolts they run on, and get them really clean. Then reevaluate your situation. The easiest lubricant to use on those is a heavyweight oil, unless you are compelled to disassemble them. IOW, if they free up with a good soaking, just re-lubricate and don't take them completely apart. If you do take them apart, do it over a table surface, because you will drop some small part.

I think mine have been replaced with bushing pulleys somewhere along the way. Slightly less durable, but more easily serviced.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 04-08-23, 10:14 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,998

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26479 Post(s)
Liked 10,444 Times in 7,246 Posts

Huret Jubilee - instructions

...from Disraeli Gears.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 04-08-23, 10:24 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,998

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26479 Post(s)
Liked 10,444 Times in 7,246 Posts
In French, but with English subtitles.

3alarmer is offline  
Old 04-08-23, 02:12 PM
  #8  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 8

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh International, 1975 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...if they are those original ball bearing pulleys, I've never actually taken one of those apart. But your first step is to remove the two bolts that hold the rear pulley cage together, and remove the free side of the cage, along with the pulleys and those bolts they run on, and get them really clean. Then reevaluate your situation. The easiest lubricant to use on those is a heavyweight oil, unless you are compelled to disassemble them. IOW, if they free up with a good soaking, just re-lubricate and don't take them completely apart. If you do take them apart, do it over a table surface, because you will drop some small part.

I think mine have been replaced with bushing pulleys somewhere along the way. Slightly less durable, but more easily serviced.
Thank you so much!
jollingsworth13 is offline  
Old 04-09-23, 09:05 AM
  #9  
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 24,842

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,960 Posts
Once you remove the pulleys, a 13mm cone wrench can loosen the cone:


Open it up to service the bearings:

Set the pre-load after reinstalling the pulley. Check the pulley for play or binding and adjust accordingly. You'll need to loosen the mounting bolt slightly to adjust the cone. It can be difficult to get a cone wrench in there when the pulley is installed; I usually just use my fingers or a thin screwdriver bade to move the cone when setting the pre-load. Re-tighten the mounting bolt and check play/binding again. Be patient; it can take several attempts to get it right.

N.B. if this seems to be too much bother, you can simply loosen the mounting bolt and adjust the pre-load without removing the pulley and cleaning things out. But if they're really crusty, I'd g through the bother of a full cleaning.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Old 04-09-23, 01:46 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
alcjphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 5,987
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1847 Post(s)
Liked 1,719 Times in 994 Posts
Years ago, I used to use Huret pulleys on a bike that had a Campagnolo Nuovo Record rear derailleur. They ran smoother and quieter than the original pulleys. They required occasional service but if the bearings were properly adjusted they ran great. I still have another later model Campagnolo derailleur with Huret pulleys that are still smooth after about 30 years
alcjphil is offline  
Old 04-28-23, 08:07 PM
  #11  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 8

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh International, 1975 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JohnDThompson Thank you for this-sorry for getting back so late! I did in fact take the pullys completely apart. I think I got it right after a few tries...they turn smoothly enough now!
jollingsworth13 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.