Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Tiagra ST 4700 shifter broken

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano Tiagra ST 4700 shifter broken

Old 09-19-23, 03:43 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Shimano Tiagra ST 4700 shifter broken

Due to big misfortune (I dont want to talk about it) , my rear shifter is now broken:

https://imgur.com/a/R0WVlso

The plastic that holds shifter handle has almost detached, number 7 on the diagram: https://dassets.shimano.com/content/...-4700-3864.pdf

After I went to put it all together, it turns out the shifting and the break all works fine ( and I have now cycled more than 500 km with it since I am travelling).

Except this is now held by 1 zip tie, and it still moving a bit, I cannot zip tie it elsewhere becuase of the moving parts.

I believe its not possible to replace just this part and I will have to buy another shifter?
utoner34 is offline  
Old 09-19-23, 05:05 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 131 Posts
You can definitely get that part on its own, with the gear & brake mechanism and metal fingers which the levers get attached to - I was sent an Ultegra one by a bike manufacturer under warranty, it looks heinously complex to fit so itís still in my toolbox 10 years later - and suspect they might not be available via retail and if they were, getting an entire new shifter would probably be a similar cost.
choddo is online now  
Old 09-19-23, 07:51 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Andrew R Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 17,713

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4042 Post(s)
Liked 3,481 Times in 2,109 Posts
At one time Shimano did try to stock replacement lever bodies separate of the "guts". I don't know if this is still in their program or not these days.

untoner34- If this problem was not caused by you trying to take the assembly apart would you tell us what happened so others can avoid the same problem? Not trying to shame you so I understand if you wish to remain silent. It sounds like the clamping band (or it's "nut and bolt") that pulls the body up tight against the handlebars has somehow failed. If so, not a common problem at all. Andy
__________________
AndrewRStewart
Andrew R Stewart is offline  
Old 09-19-23, 05:12 PM
  #4  
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,301

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2633 Post(s)
Liked 3,173 Times in 1,933 Posts
Available and available locally are two different things. Pretty much have to go overseas, but check with your LBS

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spa...98050/?geoc=US

​​​​​​https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spa...98050/?geoc=US

Or buy complete unit.
​​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&_sacat=177824
dedhed is offline  
Old 09-19-23, 05:35 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Available and available locally are two different things. Pretty much have to go overseas, but check with your LBS

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spa...98050/?geoc=US

​​​​​​https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spa...98050/?geoc=US

Or buy complete unit.
​​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&_sacat=177824
That's not overseas for me Happy to get one and post it over to the OP if they won't ship direct.
choddo is online now  
Old 09-20-23, 08:22 AM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
At one time Shimano did try to stock replacement lever bodies separate of the "guts". I don't know if this is still in their program or not these days.

untoner34- If this problem was not caused by you trying to take the assembly apart would you tell us what happened so others can avoid the same problem? Not trying to shame you so I understand if you wish to remain silent. It sounds like the clamping band (or it's "nut and bolt") that pulls the body up tight against the handlebars has somehow failed. If so, not a common problem at all. Andy
Someone moved my bike and it fell.

Originally Posted by dedhed
Available and available locally are two different things. Pretty much have to go overseas, but check with your LBS

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spa...98050/?geoc=US

​​​​​​https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spa...98050/?geoc=US

Thats definitely not cheap, complete shifter costs:

https://www.bike24.com/p2658336.html
utoner34 is offline  
Old 09-20-23, 08:30 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
suspect they might not be available via retail and if they were, getting an entire new shifter would probably be a similar cost.
Yup
choddo is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.