Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Ultegra/Mavic Open Pro wheelset and cassette compatibility?

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano Ultegra/Mavic Open Pro wheelset and cassette compatibility?

Old 06-27-06, 12:15 PM
  #1  
marcmo
marcmo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wheaton,IL
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano Ultegra/Mavic Open Pro wheelset and cassette compatibility?

Hello,

I thinking of purchasing a Mavic Open Pro/Ultegra wheelset from Performance as an upgrade to my bike. I belive that my fron shifters are Shimano Sora's but I'm not 100%. Fron the website the specs on the wheels say that they are 8-9-10 spd Shimano compatible -- what kind of cassette can I use without changing my front shifters? Is this even possible.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Marc
marcmo is offline  
Old 06-27-06, 01:24 PM
  #2  
demoncyclist
Senior Member
 
demoncyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Medway, MA
Posts: 2,728

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any Shimano 8, 9 or 10 speed cassette will fit on that hub.
demoncyclist is offline  
Old 06-27-06, 01:39 PM
  #3  
marcmo
marcmo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wheaton,IL
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by demoncyclist
Any Shimano 8, 9 or 10 speed cassette will fit on that hub.
I figured as much but I guess what I was really asking was this: If I do this upgrade will I still be able to use my front shifters or due I need to upgrade them as well? I understand that my 7-speed front shifter won't handle all the rear cogs but will it work well enough until I upgrade them?

Thanks,

Marc
marcmo is offline  
Old 06-27-06, 01:43 PM
  #4  
Al1943
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 9,438

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marcmo
I figured as much but I guess what I was really asking was this: If I do this upgrade will I still be able to use my front shifters or due I need to upgrade them as well? I understand that my 7-speed front shifter won't handle all the rear cogs but will it work well enough until I upgrade them?

Thanks,

Marc
Your shifters and chain need to be compatible with the cassette, 9 to 9, 10 to 10, etc. If you're going to upgrade you might as well go to 10-speed, shifters, cassette, and chain.

Al
Al1943 is offline  
Old 06-27-06, 05:34 PM
  #5  
TallRider
Senior Member
 
TallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 4,433
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
7-speed shifters won't work with 8, 9 or 10-speed cassette.
Also: 8, 9 and 10-speed cassettes are all the same width, while 7-speed cassettes are a bit narrower and fit on a narrower freehub body. You can use a spacer to take up the extra width when mounting a 7-speed cassette on an 8/9/10-compatible freehub body. I'd recommend eventually upgrading your cassette and shifters (rear der will work fine, no meaningful difference between shimano rear deraillers "designed for 7-speed" and those designed for 8/9/10 speeds).

One other thing: older 7-speed freehub rear hubs had 126mm spacing (distance between the locknuts) whereas 8/9/10-speed freehubs are 130mm spacing (135mm on mountain bikes, which was true for 7-speed mountain bike freehub rear hubs as well; but yours is a road bike so this doesn't apply). Your frame may have the rear dropouts spaced at 126mm, and you'd need to flex the frame a little to fit a 130mm-spaced rear hub in.

I'd recommend that you figure out the rear spacing of your bike's frame and freehub.

If your rear wheel is indeed a 7-speed freehub, and your shifters and cassette are in good shape and don't need replacing anyway, and you don't feel the urgent need for more gearing options, I'd recommend that you buy a rear wheel on eBay with a 7-speed freehub body.
TallRider is offline  
Old 06-28-06, 06:57 AM
  #6  
marcmo
marcmo
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wheaton,IL
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timcupery
7-speed shifters won't work with 8, 9 or 10-speed cassette.
Also: 8, 9 and 10-speed cassettes are all the same width, while 7-speed cassettes are a bit narrower and fit on a narrower freehub body. You can use a spacer to take up the extra width when mounting a 7-speed cassette on an 8/9/10-compatible freehub body. I'd recommend eventually upgrading your cassette and shifters (rear der will work fine, no meaningful difference between shimano rear deraillers "designed for 7-speed" and those designed for 8/9/10 speeds).

One other thing: older 7-speed freehub rear hubs had 126mm spacing (distance between the locknuts) whereas 8/9/10-speed freehubs are 130mm spacing (135mm on mountain bikes, which was true for 7-speed mountain bike freehub rear hubs as well; but yours is a road bike so this doesn't apply). Your frame may have the rear dropouts spaced at 126mm, and you'd need to flex the frame a little to fit a 130mm-spaced rear hub in.

I'd recommend that you figure out the rear spacing of your bike's frame and freehub.

If your rear wheel is indeed a 7-speed freehub, and your shifters and cassette are in good shape and don't need replacing anyway, and you don't feel the urgent need for more gearing options, I'd recommend that you buy a rear wheel on eBay with a 7-speed freehub body.
Thank you very much for clarifying this for me. My current wheelset is pretty darn old and I was hoping to upgrade without too much hassle. I had the shifters and gearing upgraded a few years ago and the local bike shop cobbled together some gears and spacers for my threaded freehub to get me to 7-speeds. I was hoping to move up to a cassette at this time but it maybe that eBay is my best bet here.
marcmo is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Drew Eckhardt
Road Cycling
22
02-18-15 06:06 AM
DougRisk
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
13
03-12-11 06:43 PM
quercus
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
4
02-18-08 06:14 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.