Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Will a conventional headset install on any bicycle?

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Will a conventional headset install on any bicycle?

Old 07-04-06, 01:10 PM
  #1  
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd
Thread Starter
 
georgiaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Morningside - Atlanta
Posts: 1,585

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1949 Riva Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will a conventional headset install on any bicycle?

Looking to buildup a Gunnar Crosshairs frame. Planning out the parts.

I want to install a conventional headset with a quill stem.

Will it work? Just checking before I make purchases.

Thanks,
georgiaboy is offline  
Old 07-04-06, 02:37 PM
  #2  
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by georgiaboy
Looking to buildup a Gunnar Crosshairs frame. Planning out the parts.

I want to install a conventional headset with a quill stem.

Will it work? Just checking before I make purchases.

Thanks,
sure it will work. you'll need a threaded fork tho.

ed rader
erader is offline  
Old 07-04-06, 03:11 PM
  #3  
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd
Thread Starter
 
georgiaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Morningside - Atlanta
Posts: 1,585

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1949 Riva Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erader
sure it will work. you'll need a threaded fork tho.

ed rader
Thanks for responding.

According to the Gunner website the fork is threadless. It is possible to use a quill stem with an threadless headset? Or do I need to find a threaded fork?

Sorry for my ignorance.
georgiaboy is offline  
Old 07-04-06, 03:14 PM
  #4  
barba
Senior Member
 
barba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by georgiaboy
Thanks for responding.

According to the Gunner website the fork is threadless. It is possible to use a quill stem with an threadless headset? Or do I need to find a threaded fork?

Sorry for my ignorance.
No. You need a threaded fork to use a quill stem. I would stick with the threadless, but you could look on Ebay for a properly sized threaded fork.
barba is offline  
Old 07-04-06, 03:26 PM
  #5  
Moochers_Dad
a blend of wit and charm
 
Moochers_Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 885

Bikes: Serotta Fierte and a 1989 Centurian Prestige (plus, various others)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But, to answer the question to the title of your thread - No, you cannot fit a conventional headset on any bike.

Look at the Chris King Devolution headset for your CrossHairs. It allows you to use a 1" threaded fork on a bike with a 1-1/8" headtube.

http://chrisking.com/headsets/hds_devo.html
__________________
Moochers_Dad is offline  
Old 07-04-06, 03:26 PM
  #6  
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd
Thread Starter
 
georgiaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Morningside - Atlanta
Posts: 1,585

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1949 Riva Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, it is best to buy the fork Gunnar sells for the frame.

Just wanted that classic headset, stem, handlebar look.
georgiaboy is offline  
Old 07-04-06, 03:52 PM
  #7  
CHenry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 912

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moochers_Dad
But, to answer the question to the title of your thread - No, you cannot fit a conventional headset on any bike.

Look at the Chris King Devolution headset for your CrossHairs. It allows you to use a 1" threaded fork on a bike with a 1-1/8" headtube.

http://chrisking.com/headsets/hds_devo.html
I don't think that is right. The Devolution headsets are threadless designs will allow you to use a threadless fork one size smaller than the headtube, but I don't think it is meant for mating a 1 in threaded steerer to a frame with a 1 1/8 headtube. CK do make 1 in threaded headsets for frames meant to accommodate them, both 2-nut and 1-nut designs.

Last edited by CHenry; 07-04-06 at 04:43 PM.
CHenry is offline  
Old 07-04-06, 04:04 PM
  #8  
Moochers_Dad
a blend of wit and charm
 
Moochers_Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 885

Bikes: Serotta Fierte and a 1989 Centurian Prestige (plus, various others)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CHenry
I don't think that is right. The Devolution headsets are threadless designs will allow you to use a threadless fork one size smaller than the headtube, but I don't think it is meant for mating a 1 in threaded steerer to a frame with a 1 1/4 headtube. CK do make 1 in threaded headsets for frames meant to accommodate them, both 2-nut and 1-nut designs.
oops.
__________________
Moochers_Dad is offline  
Old 07-05-06, 12:33 AM
  #9  
erader
Senior Member
 
erader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: silicon valley
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by georgiaboy
Thanks, it is best to buy the fork Gunnar sells for the frame.

Just wanted that classic headset, stem, handlebar look.
ask gunnar to thread the fork for you. i'm sure it's no big deal.

ed rader
erader is offline  
Old 07-05-06, 06:53 AM
  #10  
rmfnla
Senior Member
 
rmfnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: La La Land (We love it!)
Posts: 6,330

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erader
ask gunnar to thread the fork for you. i'm sure it's no big deal.

ed rader
That, or I've seen locking collars that create the pre-load on the headset and finish the top, allowing the use of a quill stem.
__________________
Today, I believe my jurisdiction ends here...
rmfnla is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
41roadmaster
Classic & Vintage
2
03-15-16 06:13 PM
Kommisar89
Classic & Vintage
9
12-02-13 11:57 AM
Kommisar89
Classic & Vintage
6
05-25-13 08:09 AM
Kommisar89
Classic & Vintage
0
05-24-13 09:43 PM
Kommisar89
Classic & Vintage
0
05-24-13 09:27 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.