Bike Forums

Bike Forums (
-   Bicycle Mechanics (
-   -   What is this part called? (

waterside 06-23-09 09:09 AM

What is this part called?
Hi all,
one of my kids MTBs has a protective bracket around the rear mech, obviously to protect the derailleur if the bike is dropped on its side - I'd like to fit one on my other kids bikes, but I have no idea what it's actually called. I've googled extensively using "rear derailleur protection bashguard" etc etc, but to no avail.

The bracket in question is mounted on the drive train side rear axle between the dropout and the axle nut and rises upwards then outwards and downwards to form a protective U-shaped cage on the outside of the mech.

Any help in putting a name to it, which would allow me to locate one online, would be much appreciated.


Retro Grouch 06-23-09 09:11 AM

It's a derailleur guard.

Honestly, it doesn't do much. Any hit that's serious enough to damage your derailleur will bend the derailleur guard inward and affect the derailleur's performance anyway.

Mike T. 06-23-09 09:12 AM

Just a "derailer protector" as far as I know. They were quite common back in the "10-speed" days.

exRunner 06-23-09 09:16 AM

Does it look something like this:

It is called a Rear Derailleur Guard.

Here is one for sale on EBay for $5. I am guessing that any LBS will also have them

neil0502 06-23-09 09:55 AM

If you have that and a dork disc (between your cassette and your spokes), then everybody will know that you mean business.... ;)

waterside 06-23-09 10:32 AM

LOL - like I said for kids bikes - Idon't care how dorky they look as long as I'm avoiding skinning my knuckles.

Thanks for the replies folks.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:46 AM.

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.