Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Where can I get Gates Belt Drive components?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Where can I get Gates Belt Drive components?

Old 03-01-10, 11:02 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 211
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where can I get Gates Belt Drive components?

Does anyone know where I can get the required belt-wheels and belt for a Gates drive system? I've seen them on a bunch of bikes, and I think I've figured out how to convert a frame for Gates usage.
Spasticteapot is offline  
Old 03-02-10, 01:09 AM
  #2  
Likes to Ride Far
 
Chris_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,345

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
This company lists them as "coming soon."
Chris_W is offline  
Old 03-02-10, 08:46 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 33,656

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Likes: 0
Liked 1,099 Times in 745 Posts
Be aware that the belt must go through the frame's rear triangle so, either the frame must have a removable section or the belt ends must be joined after it's installed.
HillRider is offline  
Old 03-02-10, 11:44 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
DieselDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
Posts: 8,521

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
Be aware that the belt must go through the frame's rear triangle so, either the frame must have a removable section or the belt ends must be joined after it's installed.
Every belt drive I've seen has either a removable dropout or the right chain stay is higher the normal with the dropout hanging down. A belt with a connector would be a bad idea or economically impractical.
DieselDan is offline  
Old 03-02-10, 11:51 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SFBay
Posts: 2,335

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Likes: 0
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
QBP via your local shop. Harris Cyclery might also mail order them.
jccaclimber is offline  
Old 03-02-10, 06:39 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 33,656

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Likes: 0
Liked 1,099 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
Every belt drive I've seen has either a removable dropout or the right chain stay is higher the normal with the dropout hanging down. A belt with a connector would be a bad idea or economically impractical.
You are certainly right about purpose-built frames and I agree on the impracticallity of joining the belt with a connector.

I was just referring to the OP's comment that he is going to "convert" a frame to belt drive use and I wanted to be sure he understood the requirement that the belt has to go theough the rear triangle. I suppose it might be possible to design a system that has the rear driven pulley outside of the rear dropout but it would certainly be awkward and i've never seen it done.
HillRider is offline  
Old 03-02-10, 10:14 PM
  #7  
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Posts: 9,903
Liked 786 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
You are certainly right about purpose-built frames and I agree on the impracticallity of joining the belt with a connector.

I was just referring to the OP's comment that he is going to "convert" a frame to belt drive use and I wanted to be sure he understood the requirement that the belt has to go theough the rear triangle. I suppose it might be possible to design a system that has the rear driven pulley outside of the rear dropout but it would certainly be awkward and i've never seen it done.
Ever seen the rear of a Windcheetah recumbent trike? Or a Burrows Ratcatcher?



__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline  
Old 03-03-10, 08:43 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 33,656

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Likes: 0
Liked 1,099 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Ever seen the rear of a Windcheetah recumbent trike? Or a Burrows Ratcatcher?



These are new to me so I guess it really has been done.

One thing that comes immediately to mind is that you better have you high and low limit screws adjusted exactly right. This set-up would give "dropping the chain" real meaning.
HillRider is offline  
Old 03-03-10, 09:50 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
kamtsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,821
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
I suppose it might be possible to design a system that has the rear driven pulley outside of the rear dropout but it would certainly be awkward and i've never seen it done.

Here is an example of a bike that was converted to belt drive with no frame modification:




(posted few days ago here https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-this-bike-out!!! )
kamtsa is offline  
Old 03-22-10, 09:03 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...?category=4081
neeonbrowwn is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
99spokes
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
13
11-17-22 10:42 AM
General Geoff
General Cycling Discussion
15
12-01-17 08:37 PM
jawnn
Bicycle Mechanics
4
08-17-13 02:28 PM
Shutter
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
5
01-23-12 09:18 AM
Askel
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
0
04-20-11 08:41 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.