Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can you re-round a rim if it's slightly off?

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Can you re-round a rim if it's slightly off?

Reply

Old 06-23-10, 03:35 AM
  #1  
JeffThompson
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you re-round a rim if it's slightly off?

I have a rim i'm about to build and its "true" by the fact that it doesn't move from side to side at all.
BUT, it is A LITTLE ?un-round?(horrible grammar)
Is there any simple way to fix this?
I really like this rim and I dont think i'm gonna find another pair anytime soon.
It's a Mavic g40 Module E 27" 1 and 1/4 rim.
JeffThompson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 04:03 AM
  #2  
Metzinger
Primate
 
Metzinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: gone
Posts: 2,579

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If your rim is D-shaped, it's going to be tough.
If the rim is fine, but it's out-of-round, it can be fixed through spoke adjustment. But you need to know what you're doing here.
Metzinger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 04:29 AM
  #3  
JeffThompson
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's barely off maybe 2-3 mm....
JeffThompson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 04:34 AM
  #4  
WillJL
Eater of Food
 
WillJL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 103

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Follis Concorde Tandem, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds to me like you're talking about radial truing. Its possible that a rim could be bent out of shape though, particularly if you know that it became "un-round" after a crash or a big hit, in which case the solution may not be so easy. Check out this link: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=81
WillJL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 05:04 AM
  #5  
JeffThompson
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by WillJL View Post
It sounds to me like you're talking about radial truing. Its possible that a rim could be bent out of shape though, particularly if you know that it became "un-round" after a crash or a big hit, in which case the solution may not be so easy. Check out this link: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=81
Its not very bad at all. So if i took it to a bike shop after lacing it, they would be able to kinda kink it out?
JeffThompson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 05:09 AM
  #6  
JeffThompson
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Its not from a crash either. its barely noticeable when you look at it spinning....maybe i could tension the spokes hard enough to bend it back before I cut out the hub and lace it again?
JeffThompson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 05:32 AM
  #7  
JeffThompson
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It hasn't affected the ride from what ive noticed so far. I just want to know if its possible.
JeffThompson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 08:22 AM
  #8  
furballi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It is possible to hammer in/out the 2-3 mm flat spot if you unlaced the wheel. Use a rubber mallet. Get it round to within 1 mm in the free state, then re-lace.
furballi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 08:45 AM
  #9  
a77impala
a77impala
 
a77impala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Western South Dakota
Posts: 1,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Originally Posted by furballi View Post
It is possible to hammer in/out the 2-3 mm flat spot if you unlaced the wheel. Use a rubber mallet. Get it round to within 1 mm in the free state, then re-lace.
I fixed a flat spot by taking out about six spokes at the flat site and then used a rubber mallet on it. That worked great, no more hop and can't even find it
any more.
a77impala is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 08:58 AM
  #10  
cny-bikeman 
Mechanic/Tourist
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 7,508

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Originally Posted by JeffThompson View Post
I have a rim i'm about to build and its "true" by the fact that it doesn't move from side to side at all.
BUT, it is A LITTLE ?un-round?(horrible grammar)
Is there any simple way to fix this?
I really like this rim and I dont think i'm gonna find another pair anytime soon.
It's a Mavic g40 Module E 27" 1 and 1/4 rim.
Before we all take off into the yonder with suggestions, I need to clarify some things. "..rim I'm about to build.." sounds like it is not laced currently, but then how would you know "...it doesn't move side to side.."? Do you mean rebuild?

If it's not laced how do you know it's out of round? Did you measure the diameter at multiple points? If so 2-3 mm out of round is only a variation of 1-1.5 mm from center, which I don't like but is not terrible.

If it is laced we know nothing of the actual condition of the bare rim, and thus whether it is worth rebuilding, unless you manage to get all the spokes to equal tension, which is a bit of a challenge.

In either case you did not specify in which direction it is out of round. If a flat spot and not caused by too much spoke tension you would indeed need to physically move it, but you must do so carefully or you may create high spots on either side. If a high spot then odds are extremely high that spoke tension is incorrect. On a laced wheel I would not consider a deviation of 2-3mm in round "minor."

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 06-23-10 at 09:02 AM.
cny-bikeman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 10:16 PM
  #11  
WillJL
Eater of Food
 
WillJL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 103

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Follis Concorde Tandem, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I missed the part about "rim I'm about to build". Sorry, my advice about radial truing is of no help.
WillJL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 02:53 AM
  #12  
JeffThompson
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman View Post
Before we all take off into the yonder with suggestions, I need to clarify some things. "..rim I'm about to build.." sounds like it is not laced currently, but then how would you know "...it doesn't move side to side.."? Do you mean rebuild?

If it's not laced how do you know it's out of round? Did you measure the diameter at multiple points? If so 2-3 mm out of round is only a variation of 1-1.5 mm from center, which I don't like but is not terrible.

If it is laced we know nothing of the actual condition of the bare rim, and thus whether it is worth rebuilding, unless you manage to get all the spokes to equal tension, which is a bit of a challenge.

In either case you did not specify in which direction it is out of round. If a flat spot and not caused by too much spoke tension you would indeed need to physically move it, but you must do so carefully or you may create high spots on either side. If a high spot then odds are extremely high that spoke tension is incorrect. On a laced wheel I would not consider a deviation of 2-3mm in round "minor."

I said about to build because it's still laced to shimano 600 hubs that i had.
JeffThompson is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service