Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

6061 aluminum is NOT like 7075 aluminum. They're not even ALMOST similar!

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

6061 aluminum is NOT like 7075 aluminum. They're not even ALMOST similar!

Old 07-29-11, 05:44 AM
  #1  
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot
Thread Starter
 
wroomwroomoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,286
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
6061 aluminum is NOT like 7075 aluminum. They're not even ALMOST similar!

Dear you who are reading, please spread the word: aluminum 6061 is much softer than 7075. 6061 is much easier to machine with CNC, because of its softness, but the chainrings made from aluminum 6061 alloy last orders of magnitude less, than those made from 7075 aluminum, due to the significant difference in hardness.

I am posting this, and hoping you will spread the word, because I'm up to here with dishonest sellers who take my money for a 7075 chainring and send me a replacement which is made of 6061, even though I clearly stated that I do NOT WANT a chainring made of aluminum 6061.

This particualr seller ran out the clock on me, so I could not start a complaint through the PayPal resolution center (45 days max after the transaction), but I still sent an e-mail to PayPal.

Sellers thrive on general ignorance. Heck, the in-built obsolescence of chainrings made of aluminum 6061 is a GOOD THING from their point of view, as you will be forced to buy a new chainring much faster than if it were made of aluminum 7075 or better yet, steel.


wroomwroomoops is offline  
Likes For wroomwroomoops:
Old 07-29-11, 05:57 AM
  #2  
jimc101
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,723
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 65 Posts
An what does this have to do with mechanic of a bike; did you buy it from this forum?

If you have an issue with a seller, and use paypal, you have 45 days, your fault for not resolving the issue before that, you obviously knew the product sent was wrong when you recived it, you should have sorted the issue before the 45 day limit was up.
jimc101 is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 06:27 AM
  #3  
kycycler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 469

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.5, Klein Q Pro Elite, Surley LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounds like someone did not do ay research.
kycycler is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 08:10 AM
  #4  
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot
Thread Starter
 
wroomwroomoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,286
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101 View Post
An what does this have to do with mechanic of a bike;
People who visit this subforum are most likely interested in facts related to bicycle mechanics; most of them want to learn new things that pertain to bicycle mechanics, and some may not yet know that not all aluminum chainrings are created equal.
wroomwroomoops is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 08:19 AM
  #5  
HillRider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 33,418

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 876 Times in 620 Posts
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops View Post
People who visit this subforum are most likely interested in facts related to bicycle mechanics; most of them want to learn new things that pertain to bicycle mechanics, and some may not yet know that not all aluminum chainrings are created equal.
I think that fairly well known and most us us know enough to stay with reliable suppliers like Shimano, Campy, Suguino and some others. I know you are in Europe so did you buy from a European supplier or from the US?
HillRider is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 08:19 AM
  #6  
kflorek
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 17

Bikes: Raleigh 3 speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems informative to me, for people that don't realize the aluminum you get does matter. He should have probably put the ebay anecdote elsewhere. He did say the seller ran the clock out on him, so the comments made to him by jimc101 are unjustified IMO.
kflorek is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 08:21 AM
  #7  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,546

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2902 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 535 Posts
Jimc

I guess I think this is a valuable post on this board. Did you or many others know this.
rydabent is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 08:24 AM
  #8  
trek330
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I personally found the post informative.
trek330 is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 08:28 AM
  #9  
jimc101
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,723
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 65 Posts
Why unjustified, the OP was having a rant about nothing related to bike mechanics, but to a bad buying experiance elsewhere, if it has been relevant to fixing a bike, fair enough, but if didn't.

For different types of Aluminium, there is far more to 6061(t6) than being softer that 7075, they have different properties, and are better suited to different applications google search it.
jimc101 is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 08:38 AM
  #10  
CharleyGnarly
Senior Member
 
CharleyGnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bako, PRK
Posts: 99

Bikes: '93(?) Diamondback Traverse, '96 Gary Fisher Mamba, 1981 SE Racing Quadangle.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the info on the differences. If I ever knew it I forgot it.
Replacing parts= bike mechanics to me...
CharleyGnarly is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 08:40 AM
  #11  
HillRider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 33,418

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 876 Times in 620 Posts
Maybe I'm naive but I thought it was well known that there are a wide variety of aluminum alloys just as there are steel and Ti alloys. Steel used in bikes varies from "Hi-Ten" (low cost, low strength plain carbon steel) through several grades of Chrome-Moly up to the exotic high strength alloys like Reynolds 853. Titanium alloys vary in strength and durability from CP (commercially pure) grade up through 6/4 Al/V.

Aluminum alloys are also available in a wide variety of grades varying in strength, hardness, wear resistance and cost.
HillRider is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 08:43 AM
  #12  
Flying Merkel
Senior Member
 
Flying Merkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Costa Mesa CA
Posts: 2,638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for the info, sorry to hear you got burned.


To all of those who thinks the OP was a waste:

Don't read it. Save your electrons for what you are interested in.
Flying Merkel is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 09:55 AM
  #13  
Snydermann
Lotus Monomaniac
 
Snydermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not everybody knows the same things that you know, I thought the post was informative, thanks.
Snydermann is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 10:10 AM
  #14  
LarDasse74
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Grid Reference, SK
Posts: 3,768

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101 View Post
Why unjustified, the OP was having a rant about nothing related to bike mechanics, but to a bad buying experiance elsewhere, if it has been relevant to fixing a bike, fair enough, but if didn't.

For different types of Aluminium, there is far more to 6061(t6) than being softer that 7075, they have different properties, and are better suited to different applications google search it.
So product and material selection related to maintenance and part replacement has no bearing on mechanics, you say? I THINK NOT!

Thanks for the info, wroomwroomoops.
LarDasse74 is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 11:45 AM
  #15  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,455

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M27R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops View Post
I am posting this, and hoping you will spread the word, because I'm up to here with dishonest sellers who take my money for a 7075 chainring and send me a replacement which is made of 6061, even though I clearly stated that I do NOT WANT a chainring made of aluminum 6061.

This particualr seller ran out the clock on me, so I could not start a complaint through the PayPal resolution center (45 days max after the transaction), but I still sent an e-mail to PayPal.
Have you tried negotiating with the seller, in spite of the resolution period expiring? A seller might be clueless like the rest of the public, not appreciating the significance of the difference in alloys.

In the past I bought a webcam from a seller who was a front for another seller and just copied info from some leaflet, never trying out the specifications. As the camera did not meet the specs, the seller refunded me and I even kept the camera. Conversely, I once refunded a buyer 6 months after his purchase, after it became that the problem was with the product and not any misuse.
2_i is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 11:55 AM
  #16  
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Posts: 12,258

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
at times, I've wondered why some parts were made from 60xx while others were made from 70xx aluminum, but now I think I understand better.
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
https://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm
AEO is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 12:06 PM
  #17  
mrrabbit 
Senior Member
 
mrrabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 3,474

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
The OP's post begs a forum titled:

"cat 'post' > /dev/null"

=8-)

...and of course the OP is another in the long line of posters who can't seem to bothered to use the Bike Forums forum for vendor reviews...which is where the original post belongs.
__________________
5000+ wheels built since 1984...

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
mrrabbit is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 12:14 PM
  #18  
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Posts: 30,226

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by trek330 View Post
I personally found the post informative.
Not really because it left out a real important part.

Most parts are made of 6061-T6 aluminum. The T6 is a heat treatment that significantly affects the properties of the metal.
Retro Grouch is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 12:15 PM
  #19  
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot
Thread Starter
 
wroomwroomoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,286
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
The OP's post begs a forum titled:

"cat 'post' > /dev/null"

=8-)

...and of course the OP is another in the long line of posters who can't seem to bothered to use the Bike Forums forum for vendor reviews...which is where the original post belongs.
I didn't make a vendor review, I made a short and hopefully clear explanation on the difference between two aluminum alloys often used for bicycle chainrings. I stated that aluminum 6061 is much easier to machine, but the chainrings made from it last much less. For the maker this is an advantage: the softer Al 6061 will take less time to machine (and will require fewer CNC bit replacements) than the harder Al 7075. Also, the hapless user will be forced to replace the chainring much, much sooner than if the chainring were made from Al 7075, possibly leading to another sale. That is why I said that these people thrive on ignorance, and I would like to, at least a little bit, decrease that ignorance.

Furthermore, if you don't like this thread, just don't read it, let alone post in it.
wroomwroomoops is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 12:39 PM
  #20  
Jed19
Senior Member
 
Jed19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
OP, thanks for the info. I think a post that is about the durability of different and popular aluminum alloys definitely is of interest to me as a reader of the Bicycle Mechanics forum.
Jed19 is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 12:59 PM
  #21  
mrrabbit 
Senior Member
 
mrrabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 3,474

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Not really because it left out a real important part.

Most parts are made of 6061-T6 aluminum. The T6 is a heat treatment that significantly affects the properties of the metal.
Good one Retro Grouch!


=8-)
__________________
5000+ wheels built since 1984...

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
mrrabbit is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 01:04 PM
  #22  
mrrabbit 
Senior Member
 
mrrabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 3,474

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
"I am posting this, and hoping you will spread the word, because I'm up to here with dishonest sellers who take my money for a 7075 chainring and send me a replacement which is made of 6061, even though I clearly stated that I do NOT WANT a chainring made of aluminum 6061.

This particualr seller ran out the clock on me, so I could not start a complaint through the PayPal resolution center (45 days max after the transaction), but I still sent an e-mail to PayPal.

Sellers thrive on general ignorance. Heck, the in-built obsolescence of chainrings made of aluminum 6061 is a GOOD THING from their point of view, as you will be forced to buy a new chainring much faster than if it were made of aluminum 7075 or better yet, steel."


Word and Phrase Count:

sellers = 2
seller = 1
PayPal = 2
thrive on ignorance = 1
complaint resolution center = 1
dishonest = 1
money = 1
buy = 1
NOT WANT = 1

...sounds like a vendor complaint to me.

=8-)
__________________
5000+ wheels built since 1984...

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
mrrabbit is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 01:18 PM
  #23  
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot
Thread Starter
 
wroomwroomoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,286
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Not really because it left out a real important part.

Most parts are made of 6061-T6 aluminum. The T6 is a heat treatment that significantly affects the properties of the metal.
It is true that aluminum alloy components are also characterized by their temper designation, but the fact is that practically all aluminum chainrings, chainring bolts and cranksets have T6 temper, be it 6061-T6 or 7075-T6. A 6061 alloy component, in any case, cannot be hardened to the level a 7075 component can. In other words, a bicycle component made of aluminum 6061 cannot reach the hardness it would have if it were made of aluminum 7075, regardless of the tempering the 6061 component is subjected to.

I didn't mention this in my opening post because the tempering doesn't change the fact that a 6061 alloy component will in all circumstances be softer than if it were made of 7075 alloy, and because I wanted to keep my post simple. I also didn't aim at perfection, because I would never finish writing the post and starting this thread, if I aimed at divine perfection.
wroomwroomoops is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 01:32 PM
  #24  
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is the big deal about this post? It's of or related to bicycle mechanics, and if people are that offended, simply don't post.

6061 is about 30% softer than 7075, assuming a T651 temper, which is very common. However they've both very easy to machine, though 7075 has a tendency to flex a tiny bit, so depending on your surface finish requirements, may require a lighter finish pass. 7075 doesn't have the same corrosion resistance as compared to 6061 though. Hard anodizing parts takes care of the difference in wear characteristics between the two allows though
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline  
Old 07-29-11, 01:36 PM
  #25  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 844 Posts
some parts get cut in a whole, die cut, so that process favors the softer alloy
cost savings, in lower price points.
and in other thicker parts like crank arms is fine.

7075t6, Ergal in some descriptions, is better suited to cutting teeth individually..
CNC/CAM

numbers indicate a specific alloy mix.
7xxx series adds Zinc to the alloy, none in 6xxx
6xxx is trace Si [ .6%], not found in in 7xxx.

[Ref Machinery's handbook 23rd Ed, pg 604, nominal compositions]

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-29-11 at 02:12 PM.
fietsbob is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.