Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thumb Shifters

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Thumb Shifters

Old 12-24-11, 12:07 PM
  #1  
KDC1956
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
KDC1956's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 671

Bikes: Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumb Shifters

Has anyone setup a Velo thumb shifters with velo friction shifters?Any pics on this would help thanks.If you have to ask why don't reply to this.Thanks
KDC1956 is offline  
Old 12-24-11, 12:18 PM
  #2  
LarDasse74
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Grid Reference, SK
Posts: 3,768

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No. No-one has ever tried it. I think. Maybe.

Perhaps if you phrased your question in the form of a properly structured English sentence the answer would be different.
LarDasse74 is offline  
Old 12-27-11, 10:55 AM
  #3  
LarDasse74
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Grid Reference, SK
Posts: 3,768

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KDC1956 View Post
Has anyone setup a Velo thumb shifters with velo friction shifters?Any pics on this would help thanks.If you have to ask why don't reply to this.Thanks
KDC1956-

I apologize for my glib response before. I expected someone to follow up with a more detailed explanation of why your question is difficult to answer and why people might avoid it.

1. There are a few grammatical errors in your question. Not so much as to make the question unreadable, but enough to make it a little annoying to read. And combined with the other problems (see below), it makes your post off-putting.

2. You give little information as to what parts you are referring. What exaclty are 'Velo thumbshifters' and what are 'velo friction shifters?' Are you referring to Velo Orange products? And if some company named 'Velo' makes some type of thumbshifter, they would almost invariably be a 'friction' shifter, so your question reads like "Do you ever wear jeans while you are wearing jeans?" You don't give much info and this fact makes it seem like you have not done much research and it leaves the onus on the responding person to do some research to figure it out. Most people aren't going to go to that trouble to guess at what you mean as they might make the wrong assumption and waste their own time, as well as thinking they might get a negative response from you because you specifically expected no off-topic posting (see below).

3. Your direction that "if you have to ask, don't bother answering," is counter to all that the interwebs represent - the free flow of ideas and a tool to express unwanted opinions to people asking vaguely related questions. Saying something like "don't answer if you are going to suggest X" makes you sound closed minded and gives people the impression you feel like you already know everything and aren't open to discussion. FWIW, just about every thread on every discussion forum on the interwebs includes a few responses that are off topic or simply intended to be argumentative. That is the nature of the internet. If you want a discussion where no-one disagrees with you I suggest asking your mother, or hire yourself a friend.

Any one or two of these faults in a post are likely to be overlooked if the none of the others are present, but you hit the triple crown of bad posting with yours. Best of luck in the future. Merry Christmas!!!!111
LarDasse74 is offline  
Old 12-27-11, 05:52 PM
  #4  
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Posts: 9,519
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 195 Posts
To make matters worse, there is a bicycle parts company called Velo: https://velo.fuzing.com/ , but they only make saddles- and cheap ones at that.

KDC: I'm Lardy on this one. You need to clarify what you're asking about before you'll get any answers.
__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline  
Old 12-27-11, 06:28 PM
  #5  
zukahn1 
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 8,126

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 166 Posts
Velo doesn't make shifters. Velo Orange does market a thumb shifter that is a copy of the old Suntour shifters is this what you are refering to? If so while they seem nice the price is bit high for me you can get a good set of the original Suntour shifters in good or nos condition for less money and they are better quality.

https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...cassettes.html
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 12-27-11, 06:58 PM
  #6  
wrk101
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 22,599

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 239 Posts
+1 I would rather have the original Suntour barcons, than a copy. +1 I picked up a NOS in package set at a local bike shop a month ago for quite a bit less.

+1 $100 thumb shifters, isn't happening here.

Last edited by wrk101; 12-27-11 at 08:34 PM.
wrk101 is offline  
Old 12-27-11, 07:52 PM
  #7  
zukahn1 
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 8,126

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 166 Posts
When I think about it I bet the OP is likely referring to using the thumb shifters VO offers with the mounting blocks to put them various handlebars.

For a $100 for basic set of thumb shifters I doubt anyone here has set them up on a bike or will anytime in the near future.

Last edited by zukahn1; 12-27-11 at 08:11 PM.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 12-27-11, 09:48 PM
  #8  
SweetLou
Senior Member
 
SweetLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
LaDasse, you don't run linux do you? I seem to be in the same mindset as you. If someone isn't willing to explain the problem, what they did to alleviate the problem and ask for specific help, I am not willing to help and waste my time. That seems like an open source response. On the other hand, if someone attempted to find the answer themselves(rtfm), google search, etc. and clearly explained the problem and what they wanted, then I am more than happy to to help if I can.

I saw the OP and didn't know what he wanted or the problem, I wasn't about to ask 20 questions to see if I can help, there are others I can help.
SweetLou is offline  
Old 12-27-11, 11:48 PM
  #9  
LarDasse74
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Grid Reference, SK
Posts: 3,768

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SweetLou View Post
LaDasse, you don't run linux do you? I seem to be in the same mindset as you. If someone isn't willing to explain the problem, what they did to alleviate the problem and ask for specific help, I am not willing to help and waste my time. That seems like an open source response. On the other hand, if someone attempted to find the answer themselves(rtfm), google search, etc. and clearly explained the problem and what they wanted, then I am more than happy to to help if I can.

I saw the OP and didn't know what he wanted or the problem, I wasn't about to ask 20 questions to see if I can help, there are others I can help.
I don't run Linux. I am pretty low tech and run whatever the company puts on my computer at work, or what my wife has working on the computer at home. She is my IT dept.

As for the "don't help someone unless they are willing to help themselves" is probably more from my work with kids and experience coaching.
LarDasse74 is offline  
Old 12-28-11, 10:25 AM
  #10  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,310 Times in 823 Posts
There are other thumb shifters , Under $20, they work adequately,
though plastics used, for some parts of them may not last, for as long as metal.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 12-28-11, 11:18 AM
  #11  
canam73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Haunchyville
Posts: 6,394
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a set of these:

https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...-shifters.html

I only used one on a 1x8 utility bike but it works and actually has a nice chunky feel to it, not flimsy at all.
canam73 is offline  
Old 12-29-11, 10:04 PM
  #12  
KDC1956
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
KDC1956's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 671

Bikes: Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help ha -ha - ha

Here is my setup it did not cost as much as you may think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rsz_100_0109.jpg (103.6 KB, 84 views)
KDC1956 is offline  
Old 12-29-11, 10:56 PM
  #13  
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.
 
MileHighMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boulder County, CO
Posts: 1,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run Shimano bar-cons mounted on Paul Thumbies.



Details here.
MileHighMark is offline  
Old 12-29-11, 11:30 PM
  #14  
KDC1956
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
KDC1956's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 671

Bikes: Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MileHighMark View Post
I run Shimano bar-cons mounted on Paul Thumbies.



Details here.
Nice setup you have on your bike.Velo thumb mounts looks a lot like the Paul thumbies they just cost a little more than I wanted.What bike do you have it setup on mine is on my Big Dummy.I almost went with the H-bar but I went with the Surly 1x1 Torsion bar works great for me
KDC1956 is offline  
Old 12-30-11, 12:09 AM
  #15  
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.
 
MileHighMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boulder County, CO
Posts: 1,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KDC1956 View Post
Nice setup you have on your bike.Velo thumb mounts looks a lot like the Paul thumbies they just cost a little more than I wanted.What bike do you have it setup on mine is on my Big Dummy.I almost went with the H-bar but I went with the Surly 1x1 Torsion bar works great for me
SOMA Saga.
MileHighMark is offline  
Old 12-30-11, 08:49 PM
  #16  
KDC1956
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
KDC1956's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 671

Bikes: Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LarDasse74 View Post
KDC1956-

I apologize for my glib response before. I expected someone to follow up with a more detailed explanation of why your question is difficult to answer and why people might avoid it.

1. There are a few grammatical errors in your question. Not so much as to make the question unreadable, but enough to make it a little annoying to read. And combined with the other problems (see below), it makes your post off-putting.

2. You give little information as to what parts you are referring. What exaclty are 'Velo thumbshifters' and what are 'velo friction shifters?' Are you referring to Velo Orange products? And if some company named 'Velo' makes some type of thumbshifter, they would almost invariably be a 'friction' shifter, so your question reads like "Do you ever wear jeans while you are wearing jeans?" You don't give much info and this fact makes it seem like you have not done much research and it leaves the onus on the responding person to do some research to figure it out. Most people aren't going to go to that trouble to guess at what you mean as they might make the wrong assumption and waste their own time, as well as thinking they might get a negative response from you because you specifically expected no off-topic posting (see below).

3. Your direction that "if you have to ask, don't bother answering," is counter to all that the interwebs represent - the free flow of ideas and a tool to express unwanted opinions to people asking vaguely related questions. Saying something like "don't answer if you are going to suggest X" makes you sound closed minded and gives people the impression you feel like you already know everything and aren't open to discussion. FWIW, just about every thread on every discussion forum on the interwebs includes a few responses that are off topic or simply intended to be argumentative. That is the nature of the internet. If you want a discussion where no-one disagrees with you I suggest asking your mother, or hire yourself a friend.

Any one or two of these faults in a post are likely to be overlooked if the none of the others are present, but you hit the triple crown of bad posting with yours. Best of luck in the future. Merry Christmas!!!!111
Well then Mr Bad Ass learn how to install any of the Linux OS or better yet run FREE BSD then you can be a BAD ASS.Happy New year
KDC1956 is offline  
Old 12-31-11, 12:19 AM
  #17  
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Posts: 9,519
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by KDC1956 View Post
Well then Mr Bad Ass learn how to install any of the Linux OS or better yet run FREE BSD then you can be a BAD ASS.Happy New year

KDC- if you want to get good quality information here, you'll cool it with the attitude. He wrote a thoughtful reply to your original post. You should read it, think about it, and consider carefully what you want to ask the next time you post here.
__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline  
Old 12-31-11, 02:15 AM
  #18  
KDC1956
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
KDC1956's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 671

Bikes: Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills View Post
KDC- if you want to get good quality information here, you'll cool it with the attitude. He wrote a thoughtful reply to your original post. You should read it, think about it, and consider carefully what you want to ask the next time you post here.
get good info here now that is funny you go cool it with the attitude this is the internet you don't don't get on it.No need to reply again I damn sure want be back to this ****ty place again.And think about it a little attitude are like ******* ever one has one get over it.
KDC1956 is offline  
Old 12-31-11, 11:02 AM
  #19  
LarDasse74
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Grid Reference, SK
Posts: 3,768

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KDC1956 View Post
get good info here now that is funny you go cool it with the attitude this is the internet you don't don't get on it.No need to reply again I damn sure want be back to this ****ty place again.And think about it a little attitude are like ******* ever one has one get over it.
I hope English is not your native language. Otherwise U R DUM.
LarDasse74 is offline  
Old 01-02-12, 01:18 AM
  #20  
xenologer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,589
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Well, seeing as how OP seems finished... I may as well hijack this thread.

Does anyone know of low cost alternatives to paul thumbies etc type DT-to-thumbshifter adapters?
Surely there must be some asian manufacturer who has copied the design and has a low cost version; I really don't need mine to be made from a CNC machine that Paul himself operated.

For example, note the mounting for this Sturmy Archer (sunrace) thumbshifter: https://www.sturmey-archer.com/produc...ers/cid/2/id/4 Claims the lever is DT compatible, indicating the mount is as well. This item as a whole can be found for much less than other thubies style adaptors, and that with the shifter on it. Now where can just that mounting be purchased...? Did SA design it? or was it sourced from someplace else and rebranded...
xenologer is offline  
Old 01-02-12, 09:14 AM
  #21  
Gummee
L-time Cat4 & proud of it
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NoVA for now
Posts: 173

Bikes: There's 4... 1 of ea

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MileHighMark View Post
I run Shimano bar-cons mounted on Paul Thumbies.



Details here.
Big +1 to the Paul's Thumbies. I've got my right (rear) shifter set up with one. The left is an old 6sp XT thumb shifter. No they don't match. Do I look like I care?!

I've been contemplating a 'poor man's 2x10' setup. Have an old Specialized crank that I can run different rings on... Get a D/A 10sp barcon and there ya go!

M
Gummee is offline  
Old 01-02-12, 10:17 AM
  #22  
LarDasse74
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Grid Reference, SK
Posts: 3,768

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
THe OP seems to have gone off his meds before he had a chance to clarify, but I think he was referring to:

Velo Orange Thumb Shifter Mounts

Velo ORange (along with other companies) are still selling cheap top mount friction shifters.

ANother option is finding an old garage sale or dumpster bike with bar end or stem mount shifters. You won't be able to mount your own shifters ojn these, but they are almost always friction shifting, and work with just about any derailleur setup.
LarDasse74 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Papa Tom
Bicycle Mechanics
21
07-30-18 12:11 PM
providencebikes
Bicycle Mechanics
7
04-11-17 07:26 AM
Baytree
Classic & Vintage
10
02-18-13 06:17 AM
scale
Classic & Vintage
7
06-22-11 08:39 AM
StupidlyBrave
Road Cycling
166
10-20-10 04:46 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.