Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/)
-   -   Tips for changing a threaded headset please. (https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/849758-tips-changing-threaded-headset-please.html)

RaleighSport 09-30-12 04:18 PM

Tips for changing a threaded headset please.
 
Hi, this isn't my first rodeo but this time the stakes are much higher then before. I have a Shimano 600 arabasque headset I want to put on my bike, the inside was faced etc for the previous generic same size headset I have on the bike currently, but the 600 headset is in another bike. I have previously used the screwdriver (not sharp)/mallet method for removal, I also am capable of removing the fork race without issue. What I'm looking for here, is maybe an outline of how to do this smoothly and any common mistakes I might make? I have only done this a few times now. I have a pipe for setting the fork race, a rubber mallet and some 2x4 or 2x6 or 4x4 etc for setting the headtube cups... I hope I supplied enough info too! Thanks in advance.

Bianchigirll 09-30-12 04:29 PM

Other than the proper tools I think you have things under control.

I have an old crownrace I always use upside down, like a buffer, when installing a new crown race. Even with the proper tools this method helps prevent damage to the new crown.

FBinNY 09-30-12 09:43 PM


Originally Posted by Bianchigirll (Post 14791284)

I have an old crownrace I always use upside down, like a buffer, when installing a new crown race. Even with the proper tools this method helps prevent damage to the new crown.

+1, this or an old washer or whatever to ensure that the crown is pressed from it's inner edge is good practice.

RaleighSport 09-30-12 09:44 PM


Originally Posted by FBinNY (Post 14792425)
+1, this or an old washer or whatever to ensure that the crown is pressed from it's inner edge is good practice.

It's PVC pipe, does that help?

FBinNY 09-30-12 09:53 PM


Originally Posted by RaleighSport (Post 14792429)
It's PVC pipe, does that help?

PVC pipe against a steel crown race, it doesn't really matter since the pipe can't ding the race. OTOH, having a target that doesn't have a sharp lip might protect the pipe's edge.

Jeff Wills 09-30-12 10:33 PM

Since you mention a Shimano 600 Arabesque, I'm thinking this in 1-inch threaded systems.

Make sure both headsets are the same. Headsets of that era came in JIS and ISO standards, and they aren't interchangeable. I once had an Eisentraut frame handed to me that had been built for a JIS headset and had an ISO headset crammed into it. The headset cups didn't fit, had expanded the head tube, and ruined the frame.

http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html

Kimmo 09-30-12 10:56 PM

Just out of interest, does this older headset have a recess or raised lip for the tabbed washer so it can't pop out of the groove like a later 600 headset?

RaleighSport 10-08-12 06:02 PM


Originally Posted by Kimmo (Post 14792582)
Just out of interest, does this older headset have a recess or raised lip for the tabbed washer so it can't pop out of the groove like a later 600 headset?

Well as it is indeed a later 600 headset yes ;)

Wanted to thank you guys, everything went smoothly.


Originally Posted by Jeff Wills (Post 14792537)
Since you mention a Shimano 600 Arabesque, I'm thinking this in 1-inch threaded systems.

Make sure both headsets are the same. Headsets of that era came in JIS and ISO standards, and they aren't interchangeable. I once had an Eisentraut frame handed to me that had been built for a JIS headset and had an ISO headset crammed into it. The headset cups didn't fit, had expanded the head tube, and ruined the frame.

http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html

The only hiccup like that was crown race size, and that was easily fixed with a different one from my pile! Good looking out though.

Kimmo 10-10-12 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought the 'arabesque' stuff was the 70s gear, like so:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=277641

RaleighSport 10-10-12 10:43 AM


Originally Posted by Kimmo (Post 14826332)
I thought the 'arabesque' stuff was the 70s gear, like so:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=277641

It's a star nutted 600 headset for sure, but it seems to be newer then I first suspected (It had come on a backup bike). I can double check the model later if you'd like.

Kimmo 10-10-12 11:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by RaleighSport (Post 14820321)
Well as it is indeed a later 600 headset yes ;)

So I think it isn't a later one; I've had a few from the tricolour gruppos, and they all have the normal flats AFAIK.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=277653 http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=277654

RaleighSport 10-10-12 09:08 PM


Originally Posted by Kimmo (Post 14826731)
So I think it isn't a later one; I've had a few from the tricolour gruppos, and they all have the normal flats AFAIK.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=277653 http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=277654

Very interesting, I was looking at the top nut today for anything identifying but there really wasn't.. however a little research shows it as 600ex/arabasque. So yes my old one has a tabbed washer for the steerer tube notch.

3alarmer 10-11-12 12:07 AM

If you ever get tired of using the hammer and screwdriver for removal
of headset races, you can make a pretty serviceable one out of electrical
conduit in the appropriate diameter and a hacksaw to split it part way
into four prong arms like the commercial tools.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:33 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.