Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/)
-   -   Shimano PD-A520 Wrong Side Up (https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/919045-shimano-pd-a520-wrong-side-up.html)

Goldrush 10-22-13 01:11 PM

Shimano PD-A520 Wrong Side Up
 
I have a new set of Shimano PD-A520. These single sided SPD pedals are supposed to be balanced to hang properly to clip in. Mine do not do so. It's a real pain to get them turned right side up everytime I take off. Is there a way to adjust them or will they wear in to go to the right position?

Thanks

fietsbob 10-22-13 02:23 PM


I have a new set of Shimano PD-A520. These single sided SPD pedals are supposed to be balanced to hang properly to clip in. Mine do not do so. It's a real pain to get them turned right side up everytime I take off. Is there a way to adjust them or will they wear in to go to the right position
Where did the supposed to assumption come from? what source can you reference?


and which Right position is that?


I think you need to either get used to what you got, or get something else.

myself, I have some clip-less pedals and some platform pedals, and a pedal wrench.

ThermionicScott 10-22-13 02:35 PM


Originally Posted by Goldrush (Post 16182079)
I have a new set of Shimano PD-A520. These single sided SPD pedals are supposed to be balanced to hang properly to clip in. Mine do not do so. It's a real pain to get them turned right side up everytime I take off. Is there a way to adjust them or will they wear in to go to the right position?

Thanks

That's why I hate the combo SPD/platform type pedals -- the wrong side always seems to come up. I'd trade them for M540 or M520-L pedals.

shelbyfv 10-22-13 02:46 PM

I've used A520s for years and like them. I couldn't tell you if one or the other side comes up regularly. I generally clip my right foot in before I start, then deal with the left, however it is situated. It's not a concern IMO.

CACycling 10-22-13 02:46 PM

These aren't combo pedals, they are single-sided SPD touring pedals. But the advice is the same. Get used to it or switch to M520s.

shelbyfv 10-22-13 03:02 PM

OK, curiosity got me off the couch and down to the basement. I have 3 bikes with A520s. To my surprise, all 6 pedals were oriented the same way. Spring end down, toe end up and angled slightly to the back of the bike. I spun a few and they all returned to the same position. It must be a design "feature." I can see that it might allow one to give a little kick forward and be clipped in.

ThermionicScott 10-22-13 03:14 PM


Originally Posted by CACycling (Post 16182409)
These aren't combo pedals, they are single-sided SPD touring pedals. But the advice is the same. Get used to it or switch to M520s.

Oh, my bad. That's even worse! :lol:

migrantwing 10-22-13 03:59 PM

Get 540's as opposed to 520's. They are easier to service, better build quality (all metal spindle, not plastic) and the bearings run more smoothly, all for a few more pennies.

gsa103 10-22-13 04:41 PM


Originally Posted by Goldrush (Post 16182079)
I have a new set of Shimano PD-A520. These single sided SPD pedals are supposed to be balanced to hang properly to clip in. Mine do not do so. It's a real pain to get them turned right side up everytime I take off. Is there a way to adjust them or will they wear in to go to the right position?

Thanks

The bearings are usually over-filled with grease and slow. As you ride, the excess grease gets forced out and the pedal orients faster. Ride another ~100 mi and the issue should go away.

DaHaMac 10-22-13 05:09 PM


Originally Posted by gsa103 (Post 16182752)
The bearings are usually over-filled with grease and slow. As you ride, the excess grease gets forced out and the pedal orients faster. Ride another ~100 mi and the issue should go away.

I just switched to these and noticed the grease overload.

Now if I could get the left pedal to stop clicking on each downstroke.

Goldrush 10-22-13 05:30 PM


Originally Posted by gsa103 (Post 16182752)
The bearings are usually over-filled with grease and slow. As you ride, the excess grease gets forced out and the pedal orients faster. Ride another ~100 mi and the issue should go away.

I got a hold of Shimano and they said as much. Also said a bit of Triflow would help things along.

bradtx 10-22-13 06:37 PM


Originally Posted by Goldrush (Post 16182079)
I have a new set of Shimano PD-A520. These single sided SPD pedals are supposed to be balanced to hang properly to clip in. Mine do not do so. It's a real pain to get them turned right side up everytime I take off. Is there a way to adjust them or will they wear in to go to the right position?

Thanks

I bought some recently for a build and I never found anything stating that they'd hang right side up (no need to flip for engagement). They're still pretty stiff so if they're supposed to, it's going to take awhile. ;)

Brad

Goldrush 10-22-13 06:54 PM


Originally Posted by bradtx (Post 16183032)
I bought some recently for a build and I never found anything stating that they'd hang right side up (no need to flip for engagement). They're still pretty stiff so if they're supposed to, it's going to take awhile. ;)

Brad

I got this info from my LBS. If they spin freely the weight of the pedal will cause it hang properly for easy entry.

peterw_diy 10-22-13 07:43 PM


Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 16182452)
I have 3 bikes with A520s. To my surprise, all 6 pedals were oriented the same way. Spring end down, toe end up and angled slightly to the back of the bike. I spun a few and they all returned to the same position. It must be a design "feature." I can see that it might allow one to give a little kick forward and be clipped in.

Nashbar's cheap "Rodeo" pedals are designed the same. I think it's great. For clipless, it's just like my old Look road pedals -- click in from below & behind, lead with the toe. Easy ...especially for anyone who's used Look, Time TBT/RXS/iClic, Shimano SPD-SL, etc. For street shoes, you bring your foot down from above & in front, and you're on the rat trap. Simple.

If they hung clipless side up, you'd have to kick them over with the toes of your street shoes. If you're heading out for a lunchtime errand in polished leather dress shoes, that would be asking for trouble.

It's clearly better that the A520's hang the way they do. Sure, it's unnatural for those of you who grew up with SPD-like mountain clipless pedals that require you to just mash your foot down. But I expect you can learn to use the A520s if you really want that side for street shoes.

Bezalel 10-23-13 11:38 AM


Originally Posted by peterw_diy (Post 16183177)
Nashbar's cheap "Rodeo" pedals are designed the same. I think it's great. For clipless, it's just like my old Look road pedals -- click in from below & behind, lead with the toe. Easy ...especially for anyone who's used Look, Time TBT/RXS/iClic, Shimano SPD-SL, etc. For street shoes, you bring your foot down from above & in front, and you're on the rat trap. Simple.

If they hung clipless side up, you'd have to kick them over with the toes of your street shoes. If you're heading out for a lunchtime errand in polished leather dress shoes, that would be asking for trouble.

It's clearly better that the A520's hang the way they do. Sure, it's unnatural for those of you who grew up with SPD-like mountain clipless pedals that require you to just mash your foot down. But I expect you can learn to use the A520s if you really want that side for street shoes.

Were discussing A520's not A530's (or M324's).

Dan Burkhart 10-23-13 12:31 PM

I use SPD/ platform combos on several bikes, mix of Shimano and Wellgo. I find with any of them, if I lift my foot off the pedal at the bottom of the stroke when pedalllng at a moderate cadence, and put my foot back on the pedal at the top, it will always be oriented the opposite way. so, if I start off on the platforms, it's easy to clip in on the go.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:56 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.