Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Simple Green Or Something Else?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Simple Green Or Something Else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-20, 08:03 AM

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Warning

Originally Posted by vespasianus
I also like simple green. When I first used it, I poured the waste into a potted plant to see what it would do to the plant. Surprisingly, nothing happened. So, I have continued to use it and continued to pour the old stuff into a potted plant.
Although Simple Green might be safe, I'm sure that most lubricants and greases are not, and if you dip or rinse your brushes/sponges/rags in it, your're contaminating it. Also, prolonged/repeated exposure increases the concentration of the by-products/chemicals into the soil making it unfit in the long run. Hope it's not into veggies or spices. Just my 2 cents

Last edited by Juan el Boricua; 11-27-20 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-27-20, 10:40 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
My preferred degreaser is also simple green or equivalent. Water solubility is a factor as is lack of flammability. Undiluted it
is excellent for chains/cogs/chainwheels and after most of the crud is removed I use 50% dilution and then rinse with water.
I just use auto soap in water for the rest of the frame. Yes the removed grease is in the discard but in the larger scheme of
things is a miniscule contributor to environmental pollution compared with cars/trucks and larger machinery. Compared with
dealing with contaminated petroleum solvents, simple green is a much better choice.
Old 11-27-20, 12:24 PM

Bikes: Niner Jet 9 • Santa Cruz 5010 • Litespeed Watia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Black Magic Bleche-White in a spray bottle at most automotive stores.

My preferred method: spray it on, let it sit a moment, scrub with a brush, run the chain through a chain cleaner with the Bleche-White, rinse thoroughly, blow off excess water with an electric leaf blower. Put the bike in your garage with a box fan blowing on it, spin the cranks every hour or so then leave it overnight. Get up the next morning and lube the chain.

I know people will pitch fit over this but I've been doing this for well over a decade without issues.