Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Kids started bmx - bike for me too?

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Kids started bmx - bike for me too?

Old 06-05-19, 04:11 PM
  #1  
Viich
Hack
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 788

Bikes: 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), FMF Race BMX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Kids started bmx - bike for me too?

My boys just started doing clinics at the bmx track, now they're trying to get me to get a bike as well. I"m all for not letting them have ALL the fun, but what's the minimum I can get away with on bike? I know I could ride something else in a novice class, but I don't have anything suitable (road bikes and commuters).

Is there enough difference between entry race bikes and street/park bikes that I should be really picky, or what?

Thanks!
Viich is offline  
Old 06-20-19, 07:18 PM
  #2  
osiris419
Senior Member
 
osiris419's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pepperell MA
Posts: 322

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Allez, Trek Roscoe 8, Trek Farley, Surly Long Haul Trucker, BSD TrailOrPark BMX, Deluxe Team dirt jump BMX, SE Draft, Trek 69er single speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A race bike will have have a bigger gear ratio for speed and are usually longer in the rear end and have a slacker head tube angle to make it more stable. f you're going to be riding the track get a race bike just make sure it's the proper top tube length for your height you'll be much more comfortable. Here's a good size chart to help https://www.danscomp.com/sizing/rider-sizing-chart/

Last edited by osiris419; 06-20-19 at 07:22 PM.
osiris419 is offline  
Old 06-26-19, 11:05 AM
  #3  
Viich
Hack
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 788

Bikes: 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), FMF Race BMX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by osiris419 View Post
A race bike will have have a bigger gear ratio for speed and are usually longer in the rear end and have a slacker head tube angle to make it more stable. f you're going to be riding the track get a race bike just make sure it's the proper top tube length for your height you'll be much more comfortable. Here's a good size chart to help https://www.danscomp.com/sizing/rider-sizing-chart/
Thanks - I've been riding my 8yo's 'neighbourhood' bmx - giant Moda. It's pretty cramped. I'm a little over 6', but have long arms & legs - That seems to me to be a reason to go to the long side of that chart - an I right?
Viich is offline  
Old 06-26-19, 12:22 PM
  #4  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,396

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6925 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 206 Posts
And will be built lighter .. may be have 451 rims for lighter , faster tires , rather than the rugged 406 rims..


the course a pretty well groomed track?

Olympic BMX course, seen, was quite well developed, so course was same for last Moto, as the first..


For you? single speed rigid fork mountain bike with 26" wheels?



....
fietsbob is offline  
Old 06-26-19, 04:55 PM
  #5  
Viich
Hack
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 788

Bikes: 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), FMF Race BMX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
And will be built lighter .. may be have 451 rims for lighter , faster tires , rather than the rugged 406 rims..


the course a pretty well groomed track?

Olympic BMX course, seen, was quite well developed, so course was same for last Moto, as the first..


For you? single speed rigid fork mountain bike with 26" wheels?



....
I got the boys used bmx race bikes - yes, with 451 wheels. A DK tracer for the youngest and a gt pro for the 8yo, both in Junior size. I think I just found a 22" FMF race frame for me, actually a full bike less wheelset. We've got 2 BMX Canada affiliated tracks in town (one not operating for this year) and a UCI one across the river, the used market is pretty good here for BMX race bikes.
Viich is offline  
Old 06-28-19, 07:30 AM
  #6  
osiris419
Senior Member
 
osiris419's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pepperell MA
Posts: 322

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Allez, Trek Roscoe 8, Trek Farley, Surly Long Haul Trucker, BSD TrailOrPark BMX, Deluxe Team dirt jump BMX, SE Draft, Trek 69er single speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Viich View Post
Thanks - I've been riding my 8yo's 'neighbourhood' bmx - giant Moda. It's pretty cramped. I'm a little over 6', but have long arms & legs - That seems to me to be a reason to go to the long side of that chart - an I right?
Being over 6' you might want to into a 24" you'll have plenty of room on that.
osiris419 is offline  
Old 06-30-19, 05:56 PM
  #7  
Viich
Hack
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 788

Bikes: 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), FMF Race BMX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by osiris419 View Post
Being over 6' you might want to into a 24" you'll have plenty of room on that.
Not necessarily - they build cruisers in sizes my boys can ride. Really more about the TT length & ST angle than wheel size - same as Bike Friday, Brompton, and mini-velos - locate the bars, cranks, and seat (in BMX case, seat not really important), and everything else can be re-arranged a bit. There are bike-handling that comes from geometry as well, but there are far bigger differences between my Pro-XXXL 20" frame and my boys' Junior 20" frame than are necessarily made by changing the wheels to 24".

The 22" TT seems like lots of room so far, admittedly just a couple rides in the yard so far, haven't been to the track yet, as they set up the Canada Day midway in the same park the track is located. I bought the FMF bike from a guy 2" taller than me who had been racing on it - his kids are focusing on MTB and cross now as they get older, sold his BMX stuff.
Viich is offline  
Likes For Viich:
Old 06-30-19, 07:24 PM
  #8  
osiris419
Senior Member
 
osiris419's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pepperell MA
Posts: 322

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Allez, Trek Roscoe 8, Trek Farley, Surly Long Haul Trucker, BSD TrailOrPark BMX, Deluxe Team dirt jump BMX, SE Draft, Trek 69er single speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Viich View Post
Not necessarily - they build cruisers in sizes my boys can ride. Really more about the TT length & ST angle than wheel size - same as Bike Friday, Brompton, and mini-velos - locate the bars, cranks, and seat (in BMX case, seat not really important), and everything else can be re-arranged a bit. There are bike-handling that comes from geometry as well, but there are far bigger differences between my Pro-XXXL 20" frame and my boys' Junior 20" frame than are necessarily made by changing the wheels to 24".

The 22" TT seems like lots of room so far, admittedly just a couple rides in the yard so far, haven't been to the track yet, as they set up the Canada Day midway in the same park the track is located. I bought the FMF bike from a guy 2" taller than me who had been racing on it - his kids are focusing on MTB and cross now as they get older, sold his BMX stuff.
A Pro-XXXL should be perfect for you. I'm glad you found something.
osiris419 is offline  
Old 07-04-19, 07:43 AM
  #9  
MAYAM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats you found something good for yourself.
Havubg to find a perfect bike comes with problems most times
MAYAM is offline  
Old 07-04-19, 09:53 AM
  #10  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,909

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich View Post
Not necessarily - they build cruisers in sizes my boys can ride. Really more about the TT length & ST angle than wheel size - same as Bike Friday, Brompton, and mini-velos - locate the bars, cranks, and seat (in BMX case, seat not really important), and everything else can be re-arranged a bit. There are bike-handling that comes from geometry as well, but there are far bigger differences between my Pro-XXXL 20" frame and my boys' Junior 20" frame than are necessarily made by changing the wheels to 24".

The 22" TT seems like lots of room so far, admittedly just a couple rides in the yard so far, haven't been to the track yet, as they set up the Canada Day midway in the same park the track is located. I bought the FMF bike from a guy 2" taller than me who had been racing on it - his kids are focusing on MTB and cross now as they get older, sold his BMX stuff.
Can you please post a few picks comparing your bike to a standard bmx bike. I'd love to see the size difference. It's truly gets me interested.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Old 07-04-19, 10:20 AM
  #11  
Viich
Hack
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 788

Bikes: 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), FMF Race BMX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
Can you please post a few picks comparing your bike to a standard bmx bike. I'd love to see the size difference. It's truly gets me interested.
I'll take some pics of my bike, my boys' race bikes and a cheap 'bmx style' bike we've got. I haven't had a 'standard bmx' in 30 years, so can't really comment.
Viich is offline  
Old 07-04-19, 10:40 AM
  #12  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,909

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich View Post
I'll take some pics of my bike, my boys' race bikes and a cheap 'bmx style' bike we've got. I haven't had a 'standard bmx' in 30 years, so can't really comment.
Thanks. I'm just trying to see the size difference, since I've wanted a bmx bike of my own to get in some rides around the house. I love the simplicity, as well as the strength of the bikes. They're so much fun to ride.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Old 07-06-19, 07:50 PM
  #13  
Viich
Hack
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 788

Bikes: 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), FMF Race BMX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
Can you please post a few picks comparing your bike to a standard bmx bike. I'd love to see the size difference. It's truly gets me interested.
Here are a couple pictures. The Giant Moda is disassembled at the moment, so no comparison to it, but I'm not sure it's much of a baseline for anything.



Blue one in front is my Pro XXXL FMF, with 20x1.75 tires (406 BSD), rear is my 6yo's DK Tracer Junior with 20x1 3/8 (451 BSD). You can see how much longer the bike is, both in the chainstays and the front triangle.


Added in my 8yo's GT (Also a Junior). You can really see how much bigger the 451 20" is than the 406 20".


The two junior frames are very slightly different - the GT is slightly longer, seems to be mostly in the rear triangle. (and quite a bit lighter - I weighed it at 13lbs to the DK at 15.5lbs)
Viich is offline  
Likes For Viich:
Old 07-31-19, 02:23 PM
  #14  
wixmen
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hola,
estan muy bien cuidadas. las vendes?
wixmen is offline  
Old 08-03-19, 03:27 AM
  #15  
Viich
Hack
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 788

Bikes: 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), FMF Race BMX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by wixmen View Post
Hola,
estan muy bien cuidadas. las vendes?
Desole, mais je ne parle que anglais et francais.

Sorry, but I only speak English and French.

If I trust google translate, yes, they're in great shape, and no, not planning on selling any of them soon. Maybe picking up a lighter fork for mine if I see a good deal, and maybe some smaller bars.

Last edited by Viich; 08-03-19 at 03:30 AM.
Viich is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
j.b.715
BMX
1
09-27-16 10:17 PM
Treespeed
BMX
8
04-27-13 07:43 PM
Macasterj
BMX
3
02-15-12 11:46 AM
mark1914
BMX
18
06-27-11 04:02 AM
The Piper
BMX
14
05-29-10 05:11 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.