Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

how comfortable are plastic seats???

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

how comfortable are plastic seats???

Old 09-13-09, 10:50 AM
  #1  
eight pack
Stay Fit
Thread Starter
 
eight pack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Bend, Wisconsin
Posts: 148

Bikes: Custom Dk Eight pack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how comfortable are plastic seats???

^^^^^^^ how comfortable? who has 1?
eight pack is offline  
Old 09-13-09, 11:39 AM
  #2  
thompsonpost
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
For commuting, they suck. If you are on and off of them regularly, like trail or stunt, no big. The rails tend to be come bent and dislodge.

I used one on an old Diamondback Lakeside. I'll never use or own another one.

FWIW. YMMV. Etc.
 
Old 09-13-09, 11:58 AM
  #3  
minichamp31
Yeah. I Race.
 
minichamp31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northeastern PA
Posts: 2,888

Bikes: Custom Race, 2007 GT Bump, 2007 Gt Powerseries Pro, Dyno VFR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They obviously aren't going to be comfy, as they're hard plastic. But you don't really sit in BMX, so it doesn't matter. Which one are you looking at?
minichamp31 is offline  
Old 09-13-09, 12:20 PM
  #4  
thompsonpost
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by minichamp31 View Post
They obviously aren't going to be comfy, as they're hard plastic. But you don't really sit in BMX, so it doesn't matter. Which one are you looking at?
That was my point. If you live in the saddle, plastic is not the choice.
 
Old 09-13-09, 06:59 PM
  #5  
eight pack
Stay Fit
Thread Starter
 
eight pack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Bend, Wisconsin
Posts: 148

Bikes: Custom Dk Eight pack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fit pivotal
eight pack is offline  
Old 09-13-09, 07:16 PM
  #6  
minichamp31
Yeah. I Race.
 
minichamp31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northeastern PA
Posts: 2,888

Bikes: Custom Race, 2007 GT Bump, 2007 Gt Powerseries Pro, Dyno VFR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get an Eclat. They actually look good.
minichamp31 is offline  
Old 09-13-09, 09:18 PM
  #7  
Kodyo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had an eclat webster pc seat for a while. Honestly, it wasn't bad to sit on at all. More comfy than you would think.

However, when i was learning 180s, it always hit my calve and left orange-sized bruises on my leg.
And sometimes when you tuck on bunny hops it can really hurt your crotch area if it hits you there.
Kodyo is offline  
Old 09-13-09, 09:24 PM
  #8  
xkillemallx16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: im, hungary
Posts: 1,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, think about it another way, how much more is a regular seat?
xkillemallx16 is offline  
Old 09-13-09, 09:40 PM
  #9  
Kodyo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's generally a weight thing, not a money thing.
Kodyo is offline  
Old 09-13-09, 10:11 PM
  #10  
xkillemallx16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: im, hungary
Posts: 1,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kodyo View Post
It's generally a weight thing, not a money thing.
Ah, that makes more sense.

I'm not exactly a BMXer
xkillemallx16 is offline  
Old 09-13-09, 11:05 PM
  #11  
Kodyo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, and by weight thing, i literally mean 5 oz.
Sometimes people get really into saving weight.
I would def choose a comfortable pivotal over my old plastic seat any day.
It was such a waste of money. Luckily, i found someone to sell it to, so I only lost $10.
Kodyo is offline  
Old 09-13-09, 11:08 PM
  #12  
fuzzbox
Your imaginary friend.
 
fuzzbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wandering aimlessly.
Posts: 2,211

Bikes: A sweet Quamen ATL custom, GT Mach 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plastic seats are dumb and pointless.
__________________

Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.
fuzzbox is offline  
Old 09-14-09, 05:31 AM
  #13  
eight pack
Stay Fit
Thread Starter
 
eight pack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Bend, Wisconsin
Posts: 148

Bikes: Custom Dk Eight pack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if they were dumb and useless no one would buy them.
eight pack is offline  
Old 09-14-09, 05:48 AM
  #14  
thompsonpost
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Really? You own a Murray or a Roadmaster?
 
Old 09-14-09, 11:25 AM
  #15  
Kodyo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eight pack View Post
if they were dumb and useless no one would buy them.
That's where you are wrong. Anything that is lighter than what's already on the market will sell in bmx. Just look at those UK bike co frames. Utter ****, yet people still bought them because they were light. And now whoever breaks them is SOL because the company isn't in business.

With the Plastic pivotal you are saving 6oz, but losing adjustability and comfort. Having owned a plastic seat on my trick bike, i do NOT recommend it. It's left huge bruises on my leg from 180s. And if you sit down and coast, if you hit the slightest bump you're not ready for, it really hurts. Hence the reason why i sold it. If you are trying to save weight, i would get this
https://eclatbmx.com/index.php?option...eats&Itemid=64
it's 1.3oz heavier, but at least it is padded.
Kodyo is offline  
Old 09-14-09, 02:47 PM
  #16  
FuzzyRyder
Live To Ride Ride To Live
 
FuzzyRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 2,639

Bikes: Fit flow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plastic seats work better as *****'s. hah
__________________
BMX For Life
FuzzyRyder is offline  
Old 09-14-09, 03:01 PM
  #17  
minichamp31
Yeah. I Race.
 
minichamp31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northeastern PA
Posts: 2,888

Bikes: Custom Race, 2007 GT Bump, 2007 Gt Powerseries Pro, Dyno VFR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzyRyder View Post
Plastic seats work better as *****'s. hah
I think I know what that might have said.
minichamp31 is offline  
Old 09-14-09, 11:16 PM
  #18  
fuzzbox
Your imaginary friend.
 
fuzzbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wandering aimlessly.
Posts: 2,211

Bikes: A sweet Quamen ATL custom, GT Mach 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eight pack View Post
if they were dumb and useless no one would buy them.
Note that I never said useless, I said pointless. Why don't you run seatless, less weight. Nowutimsayinman. People only buy em because they are weight *****s and trendy. There are no pluses towards them. Therefore, said product = dumb. How could you even ask if they are comfy? Srsly? Use logic.
__________________

Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.
fuzzbox is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 12:29 AM
  #19  
Kodyo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are comfy compared to no seat, yes. There only use is pretty much as glorified plug. Not for sitting. A tennis ball also works.
Kodyo is offline  
Old 09-16-09, 12:49 AM
  #20  
CMcMahon
member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 4,751

Bikes: Solid AA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kodyo View Post
It's generally a weight thing, not a money thing.
Because a thin kevlar cover and a few staples weigh so much...
CMcMahon is offline  
Old 09-16-09, 11:21 AM
  #21  
Street rider
We win all charity rides
 
Street rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Michigan University/ GR, MI
Posts: 3,369

Bikes: BMX, fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the only reason i have one is because the padding all ripped off of mine, and i never sit on it anyway, so why even have any padding?
Street rider is offline  
Old 09-16-09, 11:49 AM
  #22  
bmxkidinTexas
my pedals are to big
 
bmxkidinTexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In a house
Posts: 98

Bikes: 20" bmx, and a 75' gitane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eight pack View Post
^^^^^^^ how comfortable? who has 1?


My seat is pretty much plastic, it barely has any foam on it. its alot more comfortable than i thought it would be. but i rarely sit down on my bike when riding.
bmxkidinTexas is offline  
Old 09-23-09, 01:50 PM
  #23  
hopsing08
Senior Member
 
hopsing08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was just thinking about this the other day. i was wondering why on my road bike the seat was killing me, and when i was younger my GT Performer didnt bother me at all. i used to sit all the time on that plastic white seat. what gives.
BTW im pretty stoked cause i found the guy i sold it to and he still has it. im trying to get it from him.
hopsing08 is offline  
Old 09-23-09, 06:24 PM
  #24  
FasterThanCops
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute everyday with a plastic seat. Hurt for the first month or so, but your ass gets used to it.
FasterThanCops is offline  
Old 09-24-09, 10:52 AM
  #25  
CMcMahon
member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 4,751

Bikes: Solid AA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FasterThanCops View Post
I commute everyday with a plastic seat. Hurt for the first month or so, but your ass gets used to it.
Oh, the jokes I could make if this was BMXBoard...
CMcMahon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.