Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Help ID'ing an old Ochsner road bike (early 80's?)

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Help ID'ing an old Ochsner road bike (early 80's?)

Old 08-28-15, 06:48 AM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help ID'ing an old Ochsner road bike (early 80's?)

My wife received this Swiss bike from a family friend, and I am having trouble tracking information on it. I've taken it for quite a few spins, and it is a lot of fun.

I was wondering if anyone knew what year(s) it was produced, and an approximate value. I don't know if the parts are original, so I was hoping someone may be knowledgeable on Ochsner bikes.

I mainly want to make sure I'm not riding and beating up on it if it is a valuable bike. Thanks in advance for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
x5C8ZAJ.jpg (80.1 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg
XraDsT5.jpg (92.2 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg
YFmKhNp.jpg (82.1 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg
z4YNywi.jpg (96.5 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg
K5gKnoL.jpg (96.5 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg
mr7UyAR.jpg (89.0 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg
P04HT72.jpg (80.0 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by Character_Zer0; 08-28-15 at 06:55 AM.
Character_Zer0 is offline  
Old 08-28-15, 11:33 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Chombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,128

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Likes: 0
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
That's a really nice Oschner! You don't see too many of these on the road and you just don't see too many Swiss bikes on the road in general, so right off, there quite a bit of exclusivity with these bikes.
The component gruppo, which seems to be Campagnolo 980, seem to indicate that this might be a mid level model, but the details I can see on the frame seems to indicate better, especially the details on the chisel tapered seat and chain stay ends at the rear dropout, plus the bit of chrome on the dropout faces. things not seen on most mid level bikes. Mid level bikes were usually built with 501, Tretubi or Aelle tubing, but sometime you'll find one with SL or 531 tubing too.
So final assesment for this bike's market value really depends on what tubing was used on the frame. You might be lucky if the 980 gruppo is not original and the frame might have higher spec tubing too (SLX, 753..)
Ae there any tubing decals on the frame??

Last edited by Chombi; 08-28-15 at 11:53 AM.
Chombi is offline  
Old 08-28-15, 11:46 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,315
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Ride and enjoy. The bike is not worth too much, maybe 3-400 at most and it will give you hours of fun, and, turn a few heads for sure.
joe englert is offline  
Old 08-28-15, 07:16 PM
  #4  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
So final assesment for this bike's market value really depends on what tubing was used on the frame. You might be lucky if the 980 gruppo is not original and the frame might have higher spec tubing too (SLX, 753..)
Can you elaborate on how to tell what tubing is used? I am not familiar with the phrase "tubing," as I am new to biking and trying to educate myself. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Chombi
Are there any tubing decals on the frame??
The only decal I see is one that is embedded into the frame. See attached pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Optimized-DSC_1114.jpg (48.1 KB, 270 views)
Character_Zer0 is offline  
Old 08-28-15, 08:46 PM
  #5  
weapons-grade bolognium
 
thinktubes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Across the street from Chicago
Posts: 6,381

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Liked 2,470 Times in 917 Posts
See a lot of the red ones around chicago. The always look cool.
thinktubes is offline  
Old 08-29-15, 09:14 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 9,595

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Liked 1,867 Times in 659 Posts
Really nice mid level bike by lesser known US builder. With the really nicely done frame of unlabeled tubing and mid level campy stuff you have really great vintage rider but not worth a tone of money say $500 on the high side so I would say ride and enjoy.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 10-04-15, 10:46 PM
  #7  
SERAPHIM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 18

Bikes: Rossin, Performance Campione, Ciocc, Colnago, Lejeune, Pinarello, Mizutani, Saavedra, BH

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Character_Zer0
My wife received this Swiss bike from a family friend, and I am having trouble tracking information on it. I've taken it for quite a few spins, and it is a lot of fun.

I was wondering if anyone knew what year(s) it was produced, and an approximate value. I don't know if the parts are original, so I was hoping someone may be knowledgeable on Ochsner bikes.

I mainly want to make sure I'm not riding and beating up on it if it is a valuable bike. Thanks in advance for your help!
I have one just like it, but I've never seen it. A neophyte was selling it on ebay with the description as a 25" rim, 26" with the tire. Coincidentally I was searching for a 26" rim. Weird! Local pick up in Pennsylvania only. I was the only bidder and I was in Arizona. Seller questioned the transaction but I had my son who lives 10 miles away pick it up. Only $80 - I couldn't not buy it. Otto Ochsner (pronounced Oxner - hence the ox figure) imported Swiss made bikes in the early 1980's with his name emblazoned on the tubes. He used Columbus tubing but labeled it special tubing for Ochsner (someone removed your decal or it was rubbed off by the Park Tool repair stand when it went in for repairs). I think he only used one frameset and then outfitted the bikes with different levels of components to reach a price point. I'll just live under the belief that the tubing is Columbus SL. Someone with better knowledge than I will have to verify (T-Mar, you out there?).

I read somewhere on the internets that the current Ochsner outfit provides no help in identifying these beauties - they just don't know anymore. I see you have replies that the value is between 300 and 500 (about right). That's a decent value for a good (double butted) vintage steel bike despite the bloated asking prices one sees on ebay. Most of the Ochsners were red or blue, though I did see a lovely yellow gold in Pasadena once. Mine has Campagnolo brakes, hubs and crankset. The hubs are laced to the common ordinary Araya 700C rims. The front derailleur is Campy but somewhere along the line the rear der was replaced with a cheap Shimano, probably because the owner complained about the awful shifting of the original Nuovo Record. You look like you have the venerable Mavic MA40 rims. My son still has the bike and one day he pumped up the tires and rode into town. He said he felt like Chris Froome.

As far as I'm concerned you have a (mild) collectable and is in the top tier of what consumers could buy at the time. Top end steel bikes are a gas to ride and prompt comments from many and open up conversations with others who highly regard rare steel bikes. Congratulations on your find/gift and welcome to the unofficial club.
Harbear is offline  
Old 02-29-16, 07:13 PM
  #8  
SERAPHIM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 18

Bikes: Rossin, Performance Campione, Ciocc, Colnago, Lejeune, Pinarello, Mizutani, Saavedra, BH

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update on swiss ochsner

Originally Posted by Harbear
I have one just like it, but I've never seen it. A neophyte was selling it on ebay with the description as a 25" rim, 26" with the tire. Coincidentally I was searching for a 26" rim. Weird! Local pick up in Pennsylvania only. I was the only bidder and I was in Arizona. Seller questioned the transaction but I had my son who lives 10 miles away pick it up. Only $80 - I couldn't not buy it. Otto Ochsner (pronounced Oxner - hence the ox figure) imported Swiss made bikes in the early 1980's with his name emblazoned on the tubes. He used Columbus tubing but labeled it special tubing for Ochsner (someone removed your decal or it was rubbed off by the Park Tool repair stand when it went in for repairs). I think he only used one frameset and then outfitted the bikes with different levels of components to reach a price point. I'll just live under the belief that the tubing is Columbus SL. Someone with better knowledge than I will have to verify (T-Mar, you out there?).

I read somewhere on the internets that the current Ochsner outfit provides no help in identifying these beauties - they just don't know anymore. I see you have replies that the value is between 300 and 500 (about right). That's a decent value for a good (double butted) vintage steel bike despite the bloated asking prices one sees on ebay. Most of the Ochsners were red or blue, though I did see a lovely yellow gold in Pasadena once. Mine has Campagnolo brakes, hubs and crankset. The hubs are laced to the common ordinary Araya 700C rims. The front derailleur is Campy but somewhere along the line the rear der was replaced with a cheap Shimano, probably because the owner complained about the awful shifting of the original Nuovo Record. You look like you have the venerable Mavic MA40 rims. My son still has the bike and one day he pumped up the tires and rode into town. He said he felt like Chris Froome.

As far as I'm concerned you have a (mild) collectable and is in the top tier of what consumers could buy at the time. Top end steel bikes are a gas to ride and prompt comments from many and open up conversations with others who highly regard rare steel bikes. Congratulations on your find/gift and welcome to the unofficial club.
UPDATE: As a Christmas gift my son in Pennsylvania shipped the Ochsner to me. Today, I rode the Swiss beauty. I was able to date it to 1985 using the stamp number on the Campagnolo Triomphe crankset. Tubing turned out to be Columbus' entry level Zeta but rides like a dream. I will spare everyone the details of getting this Frankenbeik roadworthy....except to pay homage to the genius, GENIUS, mechanic who discovered that you could get the flawed, first generation Campagnolo Synchro index shifters to work with a Shimano Alivio derailleur and a Shimano MT-Z06 cassette with a SRAM chain (all gone except for the Synchro shifters - found the thingy inside that make it index and removed it). Sorry photos limited due to problem downloading to web-site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Swiss Bell.jpg (100.0 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg
Campy crank.jpg (98.6 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg
Columbus Zeta tubing.jpg (94.0 KB, 273 views)
Harbear is offline  
Old 03-01-16, 11:05 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,223
Likes: 0
Liked 3,052 Times in 1,885 Posts
According to my 1985 specs, the Triomphe equipped model, which was simply called an Ochsner Triomphe, was full Aelle. So, maybe it's a 1985 model manufactured in late 1985 with 1985 components? Or maybe they changed the specs? The 1985 lineup was heavily Aelle orientated, with four different models (Shimano New 600EX, Campagnolo Triomphe, Campagnolo Victory and Camapagnolo Gran Sport). The 3 Campagnolo models were all within $100 of each other, so it sounds like the line could have used more price range spread and Zeta would have provided that. Just thinking out loud. Sorry, I have nothing for 1986.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 03-01-16, 05:25 PM
  #10  
Banned.
 
Drillium Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PAZ
Posts: 12,294
Liked 4,829 Times in 1,709 Posts
I wish I could assign a year to the one I used to own. Columbus SL, Campy 1010B dropouts, under-BB shell gear cable guides and braze-on front derailleur tab. To this day, I don't think the fork is original.

A few pics:











DD
Drillium Dude is offline  
Old 03-01-16, 06:55 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,223
Likes: 0
Liked 3,052 Times in 1,885 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I wish I could assign a year to the one I used to own. Columbus SL, Campy 1010B dropouts, under-BB shell gear cable guides and braze-on front derailleur tab. To this day, I don't think the fork is original.
The Campagnolo front derailleur tab first appeared in the Olympic catalogue released in the fall of 1982, so presuaibly, it is no older than that. The 1985 specs say that the SL model had a pump peg, which I don't see on yours, so presumably it is earlier that that. The 1984 specs for the SL model have a curious statement "full braze-ons except front derailleur". So it should not be 1984 either. That leaves 1983 and I'm wondering they were one of the brands that had some failures with tab, resulting in the specific note in the 1984 specs? Sorry, I don't have 1983 specs for this model. Agreed, the fork, or at least the Columbus decal, would appear to be a replacement.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 03-01-16, 09:26 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 6,890
Liked 751 Times in 358 Posts
If you own an Ochsner it's required that you have a supply of Toblerone chocolates and a cookbook whenever you are out on your bike.

Othon Oschner was a big supporter of cycling in the Chicago area. He was often seen at the Northbrook velodrome and was a reknowned chef. Anyone that ordered bikes and parts from the Ochsner catalog was aware of all the cookbooks available as well as Toblerone chocolates and of course Simichrome polish.
big chainring is offline  
Old 03-02-16, 01:08 PM
  #13  
SERAPHIM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 18

Bikes: Rossin, Performance Campione, Ciocc, Colnago, Lejeune, Pinarello, Mizutani, Saavedra, BH

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for weighing in, and BIGCHAINRING, for clarifying that Mr. Ochsner's first name was Orthon not Otto as I previously wrote. I'll try to post additional photos but the forum gave me an exclamation point and wouldn't allow some of them. Anyway, here are the components of my 1985 (best guess) rescued Ochsner. Columbus Zeta tubing with the longpoint cut-out Cinelli lugs. The dropouts are unbranded chrome. The builder did not crimp the seat stay tubes which gives it a livelier ride than other entry level bicycles. Triomphe crankset mated to a Dura Ace bottom bracket! The intraweb says it works. Campagnolo head set, Campagnolo Synchro levers which I connected to the already installed Shimano 600 front der and the added 1973 Nuovo Record rear der. A previous owner installed a Shimano14-28 MT Z06 cassette which I kept. Gran Compe aero brake levers (not originals) operating Campy Nuovo Record calipers. Cinelli 1R stem with a Cinelli Giro 64-38 handlebar stem. Campagnolo hubs laced to Araya CT rims. Sakae seat post. Sorry,everyone. Can't download photos!?
Harbear is offline  
Old 12-15-16, 09:17 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: south kansas america
Posts: 1,927

Bikes: too many

Liked 250 Times in 146 Posts
I have a blue Oschner, from 1985-86. Full Victory groupo, Aelle tubing, with Mavic rims, Cinelli bars. I built it up myself, with the help of the head mechanic at the bicycle shop I worked at at the time. I purchased it through a supplier that supplied our shop with all things bicycle and bicycle related. Until recently, I had the invoice... I think it cost me +$300, sent as a box of parts. Even built the wheels up.
uncle uncle is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Buellster
Classic & Vintage
71
08-01-18 08:25 AM
vintagerando
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
4
04-10-16 02:26 PM
pauln
Classic & Vintage
0
05-10-12 02:45 AM
bbbbbbb
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
4
09-30-10 08:34 AM
sunalsorises
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
4
05-24-10 02:57 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.