Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Value of this Miele mountain bike?

Old 09-29-15, 06:30 PM
  #1  
Kwert
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 12

Bikes: 1993 Miyata Triple Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Value of this Miele mountain bike?

So I've been on a bit of a tear looking around for an old, rigid steel MTB to convert into a commuter/tourer, especially one that will get me around in the winter. I stumbled across what apparently is a Miele Pegasus, but doesn't really match up to any specs or year of a Pegasus that I can find online.

It's apparently all original minus the seat and seatpost, and used minimally. Everything is Deore XT except the front derailleur which is Deore LX, Tange MTB Infinity frame (seller sent me a picture of the decal on the frame) that looks to be TIG-welded. Unsure about the fork material.

What would you pay for it? Seller is asking $250, but it's been up for a while so I can hopefully talk him down. It's between this or a Bianchi Grizzly II (that I also can't really find much info on)



Attached Images
File Type: jpg
$_27.JPG (60.6 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg
$_27.JPG (54.4 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg
$_27.JPG (47.2 KB, 274 views)
Kwert is offline  
Old 09-30-15, 04:27 AM
  #2  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,160
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwert View Post
So I've been on a bit of a tear looking around for an old, rigid steel MTB to convert into a commuter/tourer, especially one that will get me around in the winter. I stumbled across what apparently is a Miele Pegasus, but doesn't really match up to any specs or year of a Pegasus that I can find online.

It's apparently all original minus the seat and seatpost, and used minimally. Everything is Deore XT except the front derailleur which is Deore LX, Tange MTB Infinity frame (seller sent me a picture of the decal on the frame) that looks to be TIG-welded. Unsure about the fork material.

What would you pay for it? Seller is asking $250, but it's been up for a while so I can hopefully talk him down. It's between this or a Bianchi Grizzly II (that I also can't really find much info on)



XT is really durable gear.

To be honest though, I can find these used mtbs without much effort for $200 or less.

Offer $175 -$200 cash on the spot and you would likely have a bike.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 09-30-15, 07:00 AM
  #3  
FastJake
Constant tinkerer
 
FastJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 7,859
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 43 Posts
Even at $250 I think it's reasonable given all the XT components and a nice frame. The high-end vintage MTB market has been getting more expensive lately and finds like this are more rare at bargain prices.
FastJake is offline  
Old 09-30-15, 05:20 PM
  #4  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,160
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake View Post
Even at $250 I think it's reasonable given all the XT components and a nice frame. The high-end vintage MTB market has been getting more expensive lately and finds like this are more rare at bargain prices.
Even at $250, what's the difference.

You'll have a cheap ride to annihilate this winter.

If you are in a snowy region, there won't be much left of it after a winter or two.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 10-01-15, 09:22 AM
  #5  
FastJake
Constant tinkerer
 
FastJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 7,859
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 43 Posts
True, i wouldn't use this as a winter bike. My winter bikes are always non-special frames built up with cheap but functional components. The components live a short life in the winter so no reason to destroy nice stuff.
FastJake is offline  
Old 10-01-15, 04:46 PM
  #6  
Kwert
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 12

Bikes: 1993 Miyata Triple Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses! I'm not looking as a collector, more for something strong, light and reliable to ride. I'm going to see it on Sunday so I guess we will see what it's like then.
Kwert is offline  
Old 10-06-15, 09:14 PM
  #7  
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Posts: 6,026
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
around here it probably would have a hard time selling for more than 200.. more like 100-150. it's all good quality stuff though
frantik is offline  
Old 01-07-18, 07:41 AM
  #8  
Racinguy01
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miele

I know its a bit old of a thread but did you end up with the bike? I am familiar with these and looking for one
Racinguy01 is offline  
Old 01-29-19, 01:18 PM
  #9  
Binky
Senior Member
 
Binky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 776

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Racinguy01 View Post
I know its a bit old of a thread but did you end up with the bike? I am familiar with these and looking for one

Are you still looking ??
There is some confusion about Miele Pegasus bikes.
Sources on the internet indicate that the bike was only built for two years, 1993 and 1994, but a search for Miele Pegasus images shows a variety of different bikes, some with compact frames and Ritchey components, others with classic ATB frames .... The orange one below is in my basement.
Binky is offline  
Old 01-29-19, 09:31 PM
  #10  
zukahn1 
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 8,084

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 158 Posts
With the XT components no scratches or visible wear nice wheel set and good paint I could see spending $200-250 on this bike as a keeper. The Op likely won't find something nicer in a hard frame MTB.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 01-30-19, 05:19 PM
  #11  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 20,884
Mentioned: 562 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3766 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,180 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by Binky View Post
....There is some confusion about Miele Pegasus bikes.
Sources on the internet indicate that the bike was only built for two years, 1993 and 1994, but a search for Miele Pegasus images shows a variety of different bikes, some with compact frames and Ritchey components, others with classic ATB frames .... The orange one below is in my basement.
FWIW, the confusion is warranted. Miele introduced the Pegaus for 1990, after discontinuing their earlier Aries series of ATBs. The Pegasus was manufactured from 1990 through to at least 1994 and no two years were identical during this period.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 01-31-19, 06:12 AM
  #12  
Binky
Senior Member
 
Binky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 776

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
FWIW, the confusion is warranted. Miele introduced the Pegaus for 1990, after discontinuing their earlier Aries series of ATBs. The Pegasus was manufactured from 1990 through to at least 1994 and no two years were identical during this period.

Thanks !!

Binky
Binky is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
messinbessin
Mountain Biking
2
05-02-16 08:29 AM
mycatsucks
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
2
06-24-14 01:43 PM
Toeslider
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
6
03-14-13 06:09 PM
andyfloyd
Classic & Vintage
13
03-14-13 02:38 PM
pinch1967
Classic & Vintage
1
06-02-11 08:14 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.