Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Andy Gilmour age before value

Old 10-22-15, 07:40 AM
  #1  
mr_blimp
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
mr_blimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 11

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Andy Gilmour age before value

This guy who used to live on my street, his mom still does, recently dropped off some wheels and tires at my house as he knows I have somewhere around 30 bicycles. While he was over he told me that he just bought a house down the street, the opposite way from where his mom lives, and that when he moves in he will drop off some bicycle frames he has that he was going to be getting rid of.

Yesterday he drops off two. One is a partial frame, which I haven't checked out yet, It seems to be just the seat post and stays, the back triangle only. The other frame was the gem, a Andy Gilmour.

The bike wasn't just a frame, in fact, it was everything but the front wheel and the computer (the mount was on the handlebars). Funny thing was that in the pile of wheels and tires he had earlier dropped off I found that wheel with the tire still mounted.

The bike is also set up in TT style with the elbow/arm rest extended handlebar mounted to the drop bars, and the grouppo is all Campy.

It has friction gear shifters mounted on the down tube and the Gilmour logo does not have the cross in the letter O as I see presently used.

So I am wondering does anyone on the forum know how I can determine this bicycle's age?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2903.jpg (91.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2904.jpg (92.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2906.jpg (102.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2909.jpg (100.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2910.jpg (97.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2912.jpg (94.8 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by mr_blimp; 10-22-15 at 07:45 AM.
mr_blimp is offline  
Old 10-22-15, 03:26 PM
  #2  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 14,889
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_blimp View Post
This guy who used to live on my street, his mom still does, recently dropped off some wheels and tires at my house as he knows I have somewhere around 30 bicycles. While he was over he told me that he just bought a house down the street, the opposite way from where his mom lives, and that when he moves in he will drop off some bicycle frames he has that he was going to be getting rid of.

Yesterday he drops off two. One is a partial frame, which I haven't checked out yet, It seems to be just the seat post and stays, the back triangle only. The other frame was the gem, a Andy Gilmour.

The bike wasn't just a frame, in fact, it was everything but the front wheel and the computer (the mount was on the handlebars). Funny thing was that in the pile of wheels and tires he had earlier dropped off I found that wheel with the tire still mounted.

The bike is also set up in TT style with the elbow/arm rest extended handlebar mounted to the drop bars, and the grouppo is all Campy.

It has friction gear shifters mounted on the down tube and the Gilmour logo does not have the cross in the letter O as I see presently used.

So I am wondering does anyone on the forum know how I can determine this bicycle's age?
I would see if Andy will return an email or phone call about the bike.

Gilmour Bicycles

I love the color of the frameset and I have zero to say about the bike's age.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 10-23-15, 12:44 PM
  #3  
Drillium Dude 
NNNN
 
Drillium Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 9,240

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, 1973 Colnago Super concept, 1979 Medici Pro Strada, 1979 Dennis Sparrow, 1980 Alpina, 1983 Colnago Mexico, 1985 Casati Perfection, 1985 Somec Super Corsa, 2002 Bill Davidson custom

Mentioned: 160 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Post this on the Facebook page Steel is Real. If you tag Andy I guarantee he'll come back with some info on your bike.

I'm guessing early 80s from the details, but that's just a guess. I know for sure that's a sweet and valuable frame!

DD
__________________
My Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30331021@N08/

Drillium Dude is offline  
Old 10-23-15, 05:10 PM
  #4  
mr_blimp
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
mr_blimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 11

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude View Post
Post this on the Facebook page Steel is Real. If you tag Andy I guarantee he'll come back with some info on your bike.
DD
Unfortunately I don't do Facebook.

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude View Post
I'm guessing early 80s from the details, but that's just a guess. I know for sure that's a sweet and valuable frame!
DD
Yeah I figured as much - after I replaced the wheel and tightened up the stem and seat tube bolt I was considering going to see the guy who dropped it off to see if he understood its value.

Then, tonight, I came home and found 2 brand new 700x28C Gatorskins, tags still on them, at my front door which I assume were also dropped off by the same guy, so I figured he just doesn't want this stuff.

Besides, I told him anytime he wants to go for a bike ride he can drop by and borrow a bike from my garage.
Here's a picture that shows about 1/3 of my collection:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2914 8x10.jpg (103.9 KB, 40 views)
mr_blimp is offline  
Old 10-23-15, 08:50 PM
  #5  
exxongraftek
Senior Member
 
exxongraftek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bike Heaven (Sunnyvale CA)
Posts: 768

Bikes: No-name LH drive track. Also ride an Exxon Graftek, a Masi, a Trek R200 or a RR Boneshaker for fun!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude View Post
I'm guessing early 80s from the details, but that's just a guess.
Early to mid 80's I would agree. Looks like a mix of NR and lower-grade Campy from what I can see.
exxongraftek is offline  
Old 10-23-15, 09:05 PM
  #6  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 8,117
Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 27 Posts
if wheels original to bike you should be able to get a date from the inner face of the campag hub locknuts.

is skeleton an allhallows eve decoration or does it have a medical didactic purpose?

that sure is one fine looking frame!
juvela is offline  
Old 10-24-15, 08:31 AM
  #7  
exmechanic89
Senior Member
 
exmechanic89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Richmond VA area
Posts: 2,725

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have a friend with FB post the questions for you..
exmechanic89 is offline  
Old 10-24-15, 07:46 PM
  #8  
mr_blimp
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
mr_blimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 11

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela View Post
is skeleton an allhallows eve decoration or does it have a medical didactic purpose?
Skeleton goes on either the rack on the back of my recumbent or on the stoker seat of my tandem for the weeks before Halloween.
mr_blimp is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
blacky94
Bicycle Mechanics
9
06-02-16 10:55 AM
edwinw
Bicycle Mechanics
4
02-21-14 10:31 AM
kq6ee55
Bicycle Mechanics
3
06-19-10 01:00 AM
will015
Bicycle Mechanics
13
02-11-10 09:52 PM
kramonut
Mountain Biking
0
08-02-05 03:24 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.