Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Colnago Super?

Old 11-07-15, 08:10 PM
  #1  
hansgregorius
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colnago Super?

Hi guys,

I have a question about this Colnago bike. The seller said its a Colnago Super. But I never seen Colnago Super with this color scheme.
Do you guys think this is a real Colnago frame? Or maybe its already repainted.
How much will you guys pay for it?

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.JPG (47.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (34.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg
2.JPG (49.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg
3.JPG (46.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg
4.JPG (46.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg
5.JPG (41.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg
6.JPG (48.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg
7.JPG (38.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg
8.JPG (41.9 KB, 54 views)
hansgregorius is offline  
Old 11-07-15, 08:40 PM
  #2  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,423
Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8523 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 72 Posts
Since it has a Colnago rear dropout (I think, it is hard to read in the photo), a few clover cut-outs, and Colnago marked fork, I'd say that it is probably a genuine Colnago.

Can you get a better view of the top of the seatstays, the bottom of the bottom bracket, and all the lugs?

I'm thinking maybe a mid 80's bike (83?)

I can't say for sure about the paint. Like you, I'm not sure I've seen that paint scheme on a Colnago Super, so I'm leaning towards either changing the badges, or a respray paint job.

Value?
It looks like 8s Campagnolo (model?)

I'm thinking $800 to $1000. I wouldn't go any higher unless you can confirm pristine original condition, and not a respray.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 11-08-15, 06:57 AM
  #3  
hansgregorius
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Since it has a Colnago rear dropout (I think, it is hard to read in the photo), a few clover cut-outs, and Colnago marked fork, I'd say that it is probably a genuine Colnago.

Can you get a better view of the top of the seatstays, the bottom of the bottom bracket, and all the lugs?

I'm thinking maybe a mid 80's bike (83?)

I can't say for sure about the paint. Like you, I'm not sure I've seen that paint scheme on a Colnago Super, so I'm leaning towards either changing the badges, or a respray paint job.

Value?
It looks like 8s Campagnolo (model?)

I'm thinking $800 to $1000. I wouldn't go any higher unless you can confirm pristine original condition, and not a respray.
Yes the Dropout is colnago dropout I think.

I'm asking the seller for more photos.
Do you have any tips to check if the paint original or not?
hansgregorius is offline  
Old 11-08-15, 08:13 AM
  #4  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,424

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hansgregorius View Post
Do you have any tips to check if the paint original or not?
Check near the chainstay for paint chipping (or anyplace it chipped) to check for original color not matching topcoat. Also, you can check near lugs to see how crisp the lines are. You should google a guess at a mid-80's Super and see what comes up on "images". You may see something similar.

And +1 to what CliffordK said.

ETA: It's my inclination to believe it is NOT a repaint. The paint scheme is quite complex to duplicate even though I didnt see anything like this on the internet after a short search. Look at the dropout pic, the fade has a factory/shop professional look to it. If it's a repaint, I certainly cant determine from this set of pics. I love the double clubs panto on top of the BB shell.

Last edited by OldsCOOL; 11-08-15 at 08:30 AM.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 11-08-15, 10:45 AM
  #5  
hansgregorius
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
Check near the chainstay for paint chipping (or anyplace it chipped) to check for original color not matching topcoat. Also, you can check near lugs to see how crisp the lines are. You should google a guess at a mid-80's Super and see what comes up on "images". You may see something similar.

And +1 to what CliffordK said.

ETA: It's my inclination to believe it is NOT a repaint. The paint scheme is quite complex to duplicate even though I didnt see anything like this on the internet after a short search. Look at the dropout pic, the fade has a factory/shop professional look to it. If it's a repaint, I certainly cant determine from this set of pics. I love the double clubs panto on top of the BB shell.
here is the extra picture of it.

what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image1 (1).jpg (106.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg
image1 (2).jpg (101.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg
image1 (3).jpg (101.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg
image1.jpg (105.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg
image2 (1).jpg (100.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg
image2 (2).jpg (104.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg
image2 (3).jpg (104.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg
image2.jpg (104.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg
image3 (1).jpg (108.0 KB, 31 views)
hansgregorius is offline  
Old 11-08-15, 10:47 AM
  #6  
hansgregorius
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hansgregorius View Post
Yes the Dropout is colnago dropout I think.

I'm asking the seller for more photos.
Do you have any tips to check if the paint original or not?
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Since it has a Colnago rear dropout (I think, it is hard to read in the photo), a few clover cut-outs, and Colnago marked fork, I'd say that it is probably a genuine Colnago.

Can you get a better view of the top of the seatstays, the bottom of the bottom bracket, and all the lugs?

I'm thinking maybe a mid 80's bike (83?)

I can't say for sure about the paint. Like you, I'm not sure I've seen that paint scheme on a Colnago Super, so I'm leaning towards either changing the badges, or a respray paint job.

Value?
It looks like 8s Campagnolo (model?)

I'm thinking $800 to $1000. I wouldn't go any higher unless you can confirm pristine original condition, and not a respray.
I already put the extra picture of it.

Do you think it worth more than 600 euro?
hansgregorius is offline  
Old 11-08-15, 11:34 AM
  #7  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,424

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hansgregorius View Post
I already put the extra picture of it.

Do you think it worth more than 600 euro?
That's 644.00 USD. I'd buy it (fitment granted).
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 11-08-15, 11:34 AM
  #8  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,423
Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8523 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 72 Posts
The paint has several colors, but there are no sharp lines or complex shapes that would have come later with the art decor bikes. Any person experienced with air brushing should be able to do this paint job, or perhaps one significantly nicer. It is difficult to capture the quality of paint feathering in a photo.

Unfortunately I don't get to see a lot of Colnago bikes up close

What is Colnago's history of the use of decals vs stencils.

My old Colnago Super (late 60's or early 70's) seems to have some characteristics that makes me think it had all of the logos painted on.
By the mid 70's, it appears as if Colnago was using quite a few decals, I think. What was the quality of the originals?
By the 90's and art decor models, I think they were back to either painting, or very high quality decal work.

So, I might go a bit by whether it appears as if the logos were just stuck on top, or are incorporated in the paint.

No doubt, a company like Cyclart does some excellent quality work, which may be difficult to distinguish from an original.

=========

Have you asked the seller about the history of the bicycle?

If the bike is local, at some point you'll have to go inspect the bike in person and judge it for yourself.

========

Ahhh, Euros, not dollars.

You haven't mentioned where you're located.

600 = $645.

Here in the USA, I think it would definitely be worth $645, although nice Colnago/Campagnolo bikes are still somewhat of a rarity. It is hard to say in Europe where I think they're easier to acquire.

The biggest problem is that everything indicates that the Colnago Super finished production in the early 80's, but your paint job appears to be from the late 80's or early 90's. 8-speed Campagnolo Brifters were also introduced in 1992. And, such an incongruity leaves some questions.

Nonetheless, it is a nice, and perhaps very unique bike. So, yes, that sounds like a good price, but you'll have to consider what YOU WANT as well as your local market.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 11-08-15, 11:43 AM
  #9  
hansgregorius
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
The paint has several colors, but there are no sharp lines or complex shapes that would have come later with the art decor bikes. Any person experienced with air brushing should be able to do this paint job, or perhaps one significantly nicer. It is difficult to capture the quality of paint feathering in a photo.

Unfortunately I don't get to see a lot of Colnago bikes up close

What is Colnago's history of the use of decals vs stencils.

My old Colnago Super (late 60's or early 70's) seems to have some characteristics that makes me think it had all of the logos painted on.
By the mid 70's, it appears as if Colnago was using quite a few decals, I think. What was the quality of the originals?
By the 90's and art decor models, I think they were back to either painting, or very high quality decal work.

So, I might go a bit by whether it appears as if the logos were just stuck on top, or are incorporated in the paint.

No doubt, a company like Cyclart does some excellent quality work, which may be difficult to distinguish from an original.

=========

Have you asked the seller about the history of the bicycle?

If the bike is local, at some point you'll have to go inspect the bike in person and judge it for yourself.

========

Ahhh, Euros, not dollars.

You haven't mentioned where you're located.

600€ = $645.

Here in the USA, I think it would definitely be worth $645, although nice Colnago/Campagnolo bikes are still somewhat of a rarity. It is hard to say in Europe where I think they're easier to acquire.

The biggest problem is that everything indicates that the Colnago Super finished production in the early 80's, but your paint job appears to be from the late 80's or early 90's. 8-speed Campagnolo Brifters were also introduced in 1992. And, such an incongruity leaves some questions.

Nonetheless, it is a nice, and perhaps very unique bike. So, yes, that sounds like a good price, but you'll have to consider what YOU WANT as well as your local market.
The seller said he rarely used the bike. And also he's just selling it for his friend. He knows nothing about the bike. Even when I asked about the size of the frame.
Yes some parts leave some questions, like the RD. I suspect that the RD is a mtb RD not a road bike RD isn't it?
And also I've never seen colnago frame with such a Panto. ( Panto on top of the BB shell, No panto near the Seatpost )

I'm going to check the bike on Tuesday probably.
What should I check on the bike if its repaint or not? Because this is the first time for me buying Colnago bike.
hansgregorius is offline  
Old 11-09-15, 09:36 AM
  #10  
tronnyjenkins 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: DFW
Posts: 653

Bikes: One new one, a couple old ones, and a mountain bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It might be hard to tell depending on the professionalism of a potential re-painter. That being said, trust your gut. Look for errors in the paint. Look at where the fades occur and around the hardware.

Full disclosure, I know nothing about Colnagos except that I would love to have one. I'd probably consider it at that price even if it is a respray. I happen to think it looks cool.
tronnyjenkins is offline  
Old 11-14-15, 09:25 AM
  #11  
Last ride 76 
Senior Member
 
Last ride 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Just moved...1 km S. Now above the "Bike Path" ( River Road, Piermont, NY)
Posts: 881

Bikes: Old Bikes: '74 Ron Cooper, Crashed and repaired '76, restored 2015!!! need restoration '74 Witcomb track bike (bought in '75) '75 Carlsbad Masi, bought in '76 New bikes: 84-85 Gios torino "Professional" '76 Olmo Competition C Titiano

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Late to the party but, yes it's a Colnago imo (and I have seen a few) , what model, hard to say. Original paint, I would guess yes. Some of their paint jobs.... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. At 600 up to 700 euros buy, at 900 euros sell, unless you can find out more about the model and provenance than we know now. That's my range. Cheers, Eric
Last ride 76 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
16Victor
Classic & Vintage
27
11-28-13 05:19 PM
amvtop10
Bicycle Mechanics
8
10-14-12 01:06 AM
sknhgy
Foo
4
05-10-11 08:14 AM
EraserGirl
Classic & Vintage
28
07-21-09 10:43 AM
abuckeye04
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
28
08-04-04 10:47 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.