Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old Drake ten speed bike

Old 10-31-16, 11:30 AM
  #1  
Gashepherd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Logan, UT
Posts: 173

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Old Drake ten speed bike

I just came across an old Drake ten speed bike, so far I have been able to find nothing about it. I have seen postings of Drake three speeds but nothing related to the ten speed, I would like to know if put a fresh coat of paint would it kill the value of the bike, I'm not sure if the paint on there now is original or not,but it's pretty ugly.I was intrigued by the headbadge, the $5 price tag was nice too. I'd just like to make sure that it's not a 1 of 5 in existence.The crank has 6-61 made in England stamped on it
Gashepherd is offline  
Old 10-31-16, 11:33 AM
  #2  
BicycleMonkey
Senior Member
 
BicycleMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 152

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As soon as you can, post up some pics. I'd pay $5 for pretty much any 10 speed.
BicycleMonkey is offline  
Old 10-31-16, 11:50 AM
  #3  
Gashepherd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Logan, UT
Posts: 173

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I'm not sure how to post pictures
Gashepherd is offline  
Old 10-31-16, 11:56 AM
  #4  
BicycleMonkey
Senior Member
 
BicycleMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 152

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On the Quick Reply section below, there's an "Insert Image" button. Use that if you have the images hosted online. Or the manage attachments button if the images are on your PC.
BicycleMonkey is offline  
Old 10-31-16, 12:15 PM
  #5  
Gashepherd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Logan, UT
Posts: 173

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
This is the only picture I have right now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20161012_200025.jpg (97.0 KB, 323 views)
Gashepherd is offline  
Old 10-31-16, 12:20 PM
  #6  
BicycleMonkey
Senior Member
 
BicycleMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 152

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like that head badge and the "Made in England" part. Post more pics as soon as you have them, especially of the drive side of the bike.
BicycleMonkey is offline  
Old 10-31-16, 12:30 PM
  #7  
Gashepherd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Logan, UT
Posts: 173

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I forgot to mention that it is rolling on
26 x 1 3/8 wheels
Gashepherd is offline  
Old 10-31-16, 12:40 PM
  #8  
BicycleMonkey
Senior Member
 
BicycleMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 152

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Aren't 26 x 1-3/8 tires typical 3-speed tires and 10-speeds typically 27 x 1-1/4? Maybe it's an early 60's model or something. Does it have drop handle bars?
BicycleMonkey is offline  
Old 10-31-16, 12:53 PM
  #9  
Gashepherd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Logan, UT
Posts: 173

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
It does
Gashepherd is offline  
Old 10-31-16, 12:56 PM
  #10  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 10,560
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2449 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 580 Posts
-----

Hello Gashepard and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for posting this interesting mount. That is quite a handsome head emblem it wears. Wonder if it may be the Golden Hinde model.

26" wheel "tenspeeds" were common in U.S. chainstores at one time.

Look forward to additional images as you are able to upload them.

-----
juvela is offline  
Old 10-31-16, 01:26 PM
  #11  
Gashepherd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Logan, UT
Posts: 173

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I have read that the drake bikes were part of Raleigh, but everything is talking about 3-speeds,
Finding nothing about any ten speeds
Gashepherd is offline  
Old 11-09-16, 02:18 PM
  #12  
Gashepherd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Logan, UT
Posts: 173

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Can anybody tell me if this bike is worth restoring and if so what were the original components

Last edited by Gashepherd; 11-09-16 at 02:29 PM.
Gashepherd is offline  
Old 11-09-16, 03:07 PM
  #13  
BicycleMonkey
Senior Member
 
BicycleMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 152

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
more pics would be nice.
BicycleMonkey is offline  
Old 11-09-16, 03:10 PM
  #14  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 10,560
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2449 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 580 Posts
-----

Is serial 006?

-----
juvela is offline  
Old 11-09-16, 05:23 PM
  #15  
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator
 
AlexCyclistRoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,202

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gashepherd View Post
Can anybody tell me if this bike is worth restoring and if so what were the original components
How much 'restoration' does it need? If you overpaint it, you'll likely destroy at least half of the value. Post pics of the components, hubs, bars, saddle, etc.....
AlexCyclistRoch is offline  
Old 11-10-16, 01:18 AM
  #16  
Gashepherd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Logan, UT
Posts: 173

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
These are the components from the Drake, looks like parts from several bikes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20161109_163007.jpg (100.8 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg
20161109_163119.jpg (97.2 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg
20161109_163102.jpg (96.8 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg
20161109_163205.jpg (98.0 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg
20161109_163744.jpg (100.9 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg
20161109_163752.jpg (98.9 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg
20161109_163800.jpg (99.9 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg
20161109_164100.jpg (101.3 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg
20161109_164428.jpg (96.8 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg
20161109_164737.jpg (100.7 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg
20161109_164726.jpg (100.2 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg
20161109_164844.jpg (101.3 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg
20161109_170311.jpg (100.3 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg
20161109_225053.jpg (97.6 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg
20161109_225112.jpg (99.3 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg
20161109_225248.jpg (96.8 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg
20161109_225507.jpg (98.6 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg
20161109_225601.jpg (99.3 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg
20161109_225658.jpg (99.5 KB, 279 views)
Gashepherd is offline  
Old 11-10-16, 08:26 AM
  #17  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 10,560
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2449 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 580 Posts
-----

Thank you for these new images.

Pedals are Phillips Apollo model.

Looks like someone has been at adjustable bottom bracket cup with a punch.

Resilion front wheel likely original; rear wheel not.

Weinmann and Simplex bits appear to be later additions.

Have you found a serial number?

Are shell and steerer threaded 26TPI or 24TPI?

-----
juvela is offline  
Old 11-10-16, 05:44 PM
  #18  
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator
 
AlexCyclistRoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,202

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm surprised that you got the NDS BB cup off. Most Raleigh builds have them firmly driven into the thread leads so hard that it usually makes more sense servicing that cup in situ.
AlexCyclistRoch is offline  
Old 11-10-16, 08:17 PM
  #19  
Gashepherd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Logan, UT
Posts: 173

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela View Post
-----

Thank you for these new images.

Pedals are Phillips Apollo model.

Looks like someone has been at adjustable bottom bracket cup with a punch.

Resilion front wheel likely original; rear wheel not.

Weinmann and Simplex bits appear to be later additions.

Have you found a serial number?

Are shell and steerer threaded 26TPI or 24TPI?

-----
It is 24tpi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20161110_184953.jpg (96.8 KB, 258 views)
Gashepherd is offline  
Old 11-10-16, 08:23 PM
  #20  
Gashepherd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Logan, UT
Posts: 173

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch View Post
I'm surprised that you got the NDS BB cup off. Most Raleigh builds have them firmly driven into the thread leads so hard that it usually makes more sense servicing that cup in situ.
It wasn't too bad, once I realized that it has left handed threads
Gashepherd is offline  
Old 08-26-20, 04:45 PM
  #21  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 10,560
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2449 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 580 Posts
-----

marking on barrel of rear hub is a Raleigh one

it depicts Sir Wally about to cast his cape to rescue the lady from the mud puddle

in front of him is a shield bearing the letters R I indicating "Raleigh Industries"

this symbol was employed for several decades and seemed to fall into disuse around 1970

here is a better view on a frame pump handle -




it looks like the rim of the rear wheel is marked "ARAYA MADE IN JAPAN" - this is not something Raleigh would have been using circa 1960 so perhaps the wheel has been rebuilt...
---

bar -

note how much narrower is the trail than the top

this is not a normal configuration and usually indicates a deformation

---

serial -

its placement on the outer face of the left dropout is one of the spots employed by Raleigh

the format of five numerals followed by two letters is one of the formats employed by Raleigh

the letter N was employed to indicate Nottingham. it is somewhat unclear if the final character is to be taken as an H or as a W. since its sides/verticals taper narrower as they go downward we might take it as a letter W which was used to indicate the Raleigh factory located in Worksop, England. in this serial format the five numerals taken as a whole would indicate the year of manufacture (no code).

https://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_serials.html#55

---

shift levers -

these appear very slightly later than the 1961-62 date suggested for the cycle by the marking on the Williams chainset. for 1962 this model of Huret shift lever is depicted with a sheet metal shroud below each lever assembly as here on a page from the 1962 edition of the French publication le Cycle -




so either the levers are not original to the bicycle or the bicycle is slightly later than a date of 1961-62

---

rear mech -

the Huret Allvit rear derailleur shown could not be original as it is marked "SPRINT" which is a designation employed by Schwinn for some of their Schwinn Approved parts and accessories for a period on the 1960's and 1970's.

-----
juvela is offline  
Old 08-26-20, 04:54 PM
  #22  
WGB
WGB
 
WGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 2,553

Bikes: Astron Corsaro, Fuji Espree and Takara GT

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 200 Posts
Could it be a 3 speed converted to 10???
WGB is offline  
Old 08-26-20, 05:56 PM
  #23  
Gashepherd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Logan, UT
Posts: 173

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela View Post
-----

marking on barrel of rear hub is a Raleigh one

it depicts Sir Wally about to cast his cape to rescue the lady from the mud puddle

in front of him is a shield bearing the letters R I indicating "Raleigh Industries"

this symbol was employed for several decades and seemed to fall into disuse around 1970

here is a better view on a frame pump handle -




it looks like the rim of the rear wheel is marked "ARAYA MADE IN JAPAN" - this is not something Raleigh would have been using circa 1960 so perhaps the wheel has been rebuilt...
---

bar -

note how much narrower is the trail than the top

this is not a normal configuration and usually indicates a deformation

---

serial -

its placement on the outer face of the left dropout is one of the spots employed by Raleigh

the format of five numerals followed by two letters is one of the formats employed by Raleigh

the letter N was employed to indicate Nottingham. it is somewhat unclear if the final character is to be taken as an H or as a W. since its sides/verticals taper narrower as they go downward we might take it as a letter W which was used to indicate the Raleigh factory located in Worksop, England. in this serial format the five numerals taken as a whole would indicate the year of manufacture (no code).

https://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_serials.html#55

---

shift levers -

these appear very slightly later than the 1961-62 date suggested for the cycle by the marking on the Williams chainset. for 1962 this model of Huret shift lever is depicted with a sheet metal shroud below each lever assembly as here on a page from the 1962 edition of the French publication le Cycle -




so either the levers are not original to the bicycle or the bicycle is slightly later than a date of 1961-62

---

rear mech -

the Huret Allvit rear derailleur shown could not be original as it is marked "SPRINT" which is a designation employed by Schwinn for some of their Schwinn Approved parts and accessories for a period on the 1960's and 1970's.

-----
first the wheels, you are mostly correct, the front wheel is a resilion hub with the araya rim, the rear wheel is the raleigh hub with a dunlop rim.
I figured that the front wheel had been trashed and the rim had been replaced not quite sure about the rear wheel, honestly I imagine that the raleigh hub could have come with the dunlop rim


I assume that by bar you are referring to the handlebars which by the way have definitely seen a few better days.

the serial number is 22054NW

as far as the shifters go obviously both of the tension bolts have been replaced with the D-ring bolt on the front side and a flat head screw on the rear

I imagine that this is what the bolts should look like.

About the rear derailleur, from everything else on the bike I can only assume that someone just used whatever was handy.

By the way here is the fork




as far as a 3 speed conversion, with the lack of any mention of a Drake 10-speed online and a few 3-speed examples mentioned I would not be surprised
Gashepherd is offline  
Old 08-26-20, 07:58 PM
  #24  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 10,560
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2449 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 580 Posts
-----

thank you for the additional information and imagery

wheels -

either could be original but not both

Resilion had ceased play by 1961 so it is a bit of a grey area for them timewise

what make is the gear block? T.D. Cross perchance?

fork -

born in Ohio prior to emigrating westward to the Beehive State

expect you shall wish to locate a tubular example in order to proceed with rebuild/restoration

shift levers -

your set is later than those on the green Schwinn frame

note the difference in the outer washers

-----
juvela is offline  
Old 08-26-20, 10:55 PM
  #25  
Gashepherd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Logan, UT
Posts: 173

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela View Post
-----

thank you for the additional information and imagery

wheels -

either could be original but not both

Resilion had ceased play by 1961 so it is a bit of a grey area for them timewise

what make is the gear block? T.D. Cross perchance?

fork -

born in Ohio prior to emigrating westward to the Beehive State

expect you shall wish to locate a tubular example in order to proceed with rebuild/restoration

shift levers -

your set is later than those on the green Schwinn frame

note the difference in the outer washers

-----
the gear cluster is an Atom

honestly I have no idea what I'm looking for as far as the fork goes

The green Schwinn is one of a pair of 63 varsitys that I just found a replacement cage for the front derailleur after about four years of looking

to replace this

and the difference in the outer washers depends on which side you look at


Gashepherd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.