Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Give me some info on this Lejeune!

Old 01-25-17, 03:09 PM
  #1  
Mr.Toolbox
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give me some info on this Lejeune!

I recently occurred this Lejeune bike and I wonder if any one can shed some light about it. I'd like to know if the components are original, when it was made, model, value ect.


dropbox.com/sh/99n904ne0uuu2qx/AAAfBjVH5kI7QdhlBa_sY5QOa?dl=0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1020093.jpg (99.4 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg
P1020094.jpg (93.5 KB, 210 views)

Last edited by Mr.Toolbox; 01-25-17 at 03:30 PM.
Mr.Toolbox is offline  
Old 01-25-17, 03:45 PM
  #2  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 20,660
Mentioned: 557 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3676 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,091 Times in 812 Posts
Poor pictures but appears to be a lower mid-range model, circa 1974-1976 based on Reynolds 531 DB main tubes decal and Stronglight cotterless crankset. Derailleurs appear to be Simplex Prestige or Criterium and brakes may be MAFAC. Both would be OEM but pics aren't good enough to tell about other components. Wheels may be replacements for OEM tubualrs given small flange hubs and apparent era but would need component details to be sure. Roughly equivalent to mid 1970s Peugeot PR10. Can't judge condition from pics, so no appraisal.

Last edited by T-Mar; 01-25-17 at 03:53 PM.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 01-25-17, 04:00 PM
  #3  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 10,271
Mentioned: 292 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 499 Posts
-----

Mr. Toolbox,

Congratulations on this very interesting intake and thanks for sharing it with the forum.

Prior to letting anyone ride the bicycle please check that there is enough handlebar stem down in the steerer for safety. From the photo it looks dangerous. Somewhere around seventy mm of insertion is about the minimum.

Our resident Lejeune expert @CV-6 shall be along momentarily with more information on the bike for you.

-----
juvela is offline  
Old 01-25-17, 04:46 PM
  #4  
Mr.Toolbox
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I added a few more pictures here postimg.org/gallery/1vjt721ca/
as for the stem apparently it's not the common allen bolt size so i will have to find one that fits. The bike is in need of a good clean, but the bearings appear to be in good condition. the rims are rigida superchromix, the dropouts are campagnolo and there is a "rgf" stamp on the bottom bracket shell but no serial number.

Last edited by Mr.Toolbox; 01-25-17 at 05:09 PM.
Mr.Toolbox is offline  
Old 01-25-17, 05:04 PM
  #5  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 10,271
Mentioned: 292 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 499 Posts
-----

Thanks very much for the additional images.

Stem bolt will take a seven mm allen key.

Chainset is Stronglight model 93. pedals Lyotard 460D, gear ensemble Simplex Prestige, brakeset MAFAC Racer.

Wheel rim shown in closeup definitely not original as bicycle would have come with alloy rims, either tubular or wired-on.

You may be able to get a date on the wheel shown in the closeup by looking at the diamond symbol. If it has a two digit number inside that is the year. Of course this does not help much with date for bicycle itself since it could not be original.

The RGF marking on the bottom bracket shell refers to Gargatte, the maker of the shell.

-----
juvela is offline  
Old 01-25-17, 08:50 PM
  #6  
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it
 
CV-6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cardinal Country
Posts: 5,166

Bikes: Lejeune, Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré, Springfield, Motobecane, John Howard, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 270 Times in 145 Posts
T-Mar and Juvela have got it covered. I have a similar frame built up as single/fixed. Nice bike, good compromise on equipe for the day. Agree the wheels are unlikely original. I wonder about the Campag ends. The frame I mentioned owning has them also, but I have no remains of a 531 decal. I suspect mine is 531, but no faded outline.
__________________
Please do not "like" my posts. This isn't Facebook.

Lynn Travers

Photos

CV-6 is offline  
Old 01-26-17, 07:59 AM
  #7  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 10,271
Mentioned: 292 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 499 Posts
-----

Lynn,

It seems a bit odd that it has 1010 ends as a midliner. Perhaps this is because we are in the mid-'70's rather than earlier? Once you get down from the top in the early '70's they seemed to receive Juy ends.

Thanks for any information.

Mr. Toolbox,

Forgot to mention, headset appears to be Lightrace.

VeloBase.com - Component: Lightrace Grand Luxe

The cycle's Selle San Marco saddle looks to be mounted with a Tron et Berthet (Ideale) saddle clip. This would tend to suggest that the bicycle may have left the factory with an Ideale model of saddle.

The Simplex Prestige shift lever mounting clamp provides an additional dating aid. At launch, ~1971, this model was marked with the winged S emblem. About three years later they went to the S inside an eight pointed star which we see here.

Interesting that cycle displays the signature Lejeune cable housing guide brazed to the righthand seat stay yet someone has elected not to employ it.


-----

Last edited by juvela; 01-26-17 at 10:14 AM. Reason: addition
juvela is offline  
Old 01-26-17, 09:05 AM
  #8  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 20,660
Mentioned: 557 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3676 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,091 Times in 812 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela View Post
...It seems a bit odd that it has 1010 ends as a midliner. Perhaps this is because we are in the mid-'70's rather than earlier? Once you get down from the top in the early '70's they seemed to receive Juy ends...
Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the extra pictures before the OP emptied the folder. However, I agree that Campagnolo 1010 dropouts would be atypical, especially when you consider that only the main tubes are 531 and the bicycle is fitted with a Simplex Prestige rear derailleur. I don't know if this is intentional, an assembly error or the result of a parts shortage.

I can't recall LeJeune marketing a PR10 equivalent like this. I recall their boom era lineup was more in line with Gitane than Peugeot, in that the two Reynolds models were full 531DB, one with Campagnolo and the other with the mid-range Stronglight/Simplex/MAFAC component mix. Then you stepped down to the entry level models with hi-tensile frames and steel, cottered cranksets. After the boom crashed in 1975, LeJeune seemed to disappear, at least in my region. This model should be post boom based on the Reynolds decal, so they appear to have redesigned the line along Peugeot practice. Certainly, it would have saved a few francs with minimum impact on the weight.

One other thing that puzzled me is the Reynolds decal. The gold band at the bottom seems abnormally wide. I've never seen one like this.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 01-26-17, 10:27 AM
  #9  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 10,271
Mentioned: 292 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 499 Posts
-----

T-Mar,

Thanks very much for your observations.

Poster's added photo gallery is displaying OK for me with Safari browser:

Postimage.org ? free image hosting / image upload

-----
juvela is offline  
Old 01-31-17, 03:58 PM
  #10  
Mr.Toolbox
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful comments! I've started to clean polish and lube the bike.


Originally Posted by CV-6 View Post
T-Mar and Juvela have got it covered. I have a similar frame built up as single/fixed. Nice bike, good compromise on equipe for the day. Agree the wheels are unlikely original. I wonder about the Campag ends. The frame I mentioned owning has them also, but I have no remains of a 531 decal. I suspect mine is 531, but no faded outline.
do you remember if your bike had a french or english bottom bracket? Mine has a stronglight competition bottom bracket but the thread type is't marked on it.
Mr.Toolbox is offline  
Old 01-31-17, 04:08 PM
  #11  
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it
 
CV-6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cardinal Country
Posts: 5,166

Bikes: Lejeune, Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré, Springfield, Motobecane, John Howard, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 270 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Toolbox View Post
Thanks for all the helpful comments! I've started to clean polish and lube the bike.
do you remember if your bike had a french or english bottom bracket? Mine has a stronglight competition bottom bracket but the thread type is't marked on it.
Mine was French and most likely yours is also. Rarely (as in never) have I come across an English thread Lejeune. But never say never with the French. IIRC, a Stronglight French fixed cup will be six sided and have a ring around the spindle hole.
__________________
Please do not "like" my posts. This isn't Facebook.

Lynn Travers

Photos


Last edited by CV-6; 01-31-17 at 04:38 PM.
CV-6 is offline  
Old 01-31-17, 04:26 PM
  #12  
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it
 
CV-6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cardinal Country
Posts: 5,166

Bikes: Lejeune, Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré, Springfield, Motobecane, John Howard, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 270 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela View Post
-----

Lynn,

It seems a bit odd that it has 1010 ends as a midliner. Perhaps this is because we are in the mid-'70's rather than earlier? Once you get down from the top in the early '70's they seemed to receive Juy ends.

Thanks for any information.

Mr. Toolbox,

Forgot to mention, headset appears to be Lightrace.

VeloBase.com - Component: Lightrace Grand Luxe

Interesting that cycle displays the signature Lejeune cable housing guide brazed to the righthand seat stay yet someone has elected not to employ it. -----
This frame has been a bit of a mystery to me since I got it. No one I have asked can account for it. As I said, I think it is three tube 531 mostly because it weighs about half a pound more than comparable all 531 frames. The finish on it is, shall we say, French. Dome end on the chain stay/rear drop and crudely cut off seat stay/rear drop. I can see the OP's frame has the cutoff seat stay also. Very similar to mine. I don't want to get too far into it as I don't wish to hijack the thread. As for the cable housing guide, maybe they did not know what it was for? Mine below.

EDIT: Went back and looked at the OP's album. The finish at the rear drops on his bike is superior to mine. Neither are dome ends.

Lejeune Fixed res_06 by L Travers, on Flickr



Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the extra pictures before the OP emptied the folder. However, I agree that Campagnolo 1010 dropouts would be atypical, especially when you consider that only the main tubes are 531 and the bicycle is fitted with a Simplex Prestige rear derailleur. I don't know if this is intentional, an assembly error or the result of a parts shortage.

I can't recall LeJeune marketing a PR10 equivalent like this. I recall their boom era lineup was more in line with Gitane than Peugeot, in that the two Reynolds models were full 531DB, one with Campagnolo and the other with the mid-range Stronglight/Simplex/MAFAC component mix. Then you stepped down to the entry level models with hi-tensile frames and steel, cottered cranksets. After the boom crashed in 1975, LeJeune seemed to disappear, at least in my region. This model should be post boom based on the Reynolds decal, so they appear to have redesigned the line along Peugeot practice. Certainly, it would have saved a few francs with minimum impact on the weight.

One other thing that puzzled me is the Reynolds decal. The gold band at the bottom seems abnormally wide. I've never seen one like this.
Agree that this is a post 75 frame. Built in what I call the "not quite Carré" way.
__________________
Please do not "like" my posts. This isn't Facebook.

Lynn Travers

Photos


Last edited by CV-6; 01-31-17 at 04:37 PM.
CV-6 is offline  
Old 01-31-17, 05:22 PM
  #13  
Mr.Toolbox
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ye that cable housing guide is a mystery. have to get a better wrench, it's slipping! I hope it's french threaded or I'll just en up tightening the bb. It seems like we have different types of lugs on our bikes. the seatpost size seems to be 26.4 not 100% sure tho as the original seatpost had no size stamp. what can you tell me about this front sticker?



Last edited by Mr.Toolbox; 01-31-17 at 05:27 PM.
Mr.Toolbox is offline  
Old 01-31-17, 06:52 PM
  #14  
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it
 
CV-6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cardinal Country
Posts: 5,166

Bikes: Lejeune, Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré, Springfield, Motobecane, John Howard, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 270 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Toolbox View Post
ye that cable housing guide is a mystery. have to get a better wrench, it's slipping! I hope it's french threaded or I'll just en up tightening the bb. It seems like we have different types of lugs on our bikes. the seatpost size seems to be 26.4 not 100% sure tho as the original seatpost had no size stamp. what can you tell me about this front sticker?

No mystery to the cable guide. It was a feature on Lejeunes. Check Sheldon Brown for a surefire fixed BB cup removal tool if you get into too much difficulty. My post is also 26.4mm. The sticker is a bike shop logo.
__________________
Please do not "like" my posts. This isn't Facebook.

Lynn Travers

Photos

CV-6 is offline  
Old 02-03-17, 02:24 PM
  #15  
Mr.Toolbox
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah so it's just an extra feature? seems kinda unnecessary to me. After a few hours I finaly got the the fixed cup out! As for the rear wheel, it was both out of dish and it had the wrong spacing so i'm trying to find washers for the rear wheel. Turning it in to a singlespeed did cross my mind... how much does your your bike weigh?







Mr.Toolbox is offline  
Old 02-03-17, 05:15 PM
  #16  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 10,271
Mentioned: 292 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 499 Posts
-----

Mr. Toolbox,

Looks like you are coming along just fine with this cycle. Good work. Take your time and enjoy the process.

With advisors of the calibre of CV-6 and T-Mar you can't go wrong!

Looking forward to your next update.

-----
juvela is offline  
Old 02-03-17, 05:34 PM
  #17  
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it
 
CV-6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cardinal Country
Posts: 5,166

Bikes: Lejeune, Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré, Springfield, Motobecane, John Howard, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 270 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Toolbox View Post
Ah so it's just an extra feature? seems kinda unnecessary to me. After a few hours I finaly got the the fixed cup out! As for the rear wheel, it was both out of dish and it had the wrong spacing so i'm trying to find washers for the rear wheel. Turning it in to a singlespeed did cross my mind... how much does your your bike weigh?
As a single speed configured just a little different from the photos, 9.5 kilo.
__________________
Please do not "like" my posts. This isn't Facebook.

Lynn Travers

Photos

CV-6 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
1600
Classic & Vintage
59
11-09-19 12:50 PM
capnjonny
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
5
01-26-18 06:20 AM
flannel
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
9
06-16-17 04:15 AM
rkymtnhi
Classic & Vintage
8
06-23-16 11:40 AM
b_e_r_s
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
6
06-16-10 12:58 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.