Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Vintage Rixe West German road bike 100% original everything

Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Vintage Rixe West German road bike 100% original everything

Reply

Old 07-31-17, 04:25 AM
  #1  
Vintagehoney
Vintage cycle with swag
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 1

Bikes: Rixe western mens vintage road bike model SR27 (the upgraded of Rixe' finest premium 10 speed racer)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Vintage Rixe West German road bike 100% original everything

So I came into an amazing old road bike today I purchased the most beautiful 100% original rixe western german road bike model number SR 27. How much money are we looking at? The detail of this bike is incredible

Last edited by Vintagehoney; 07-31-17 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Adding photos
Vintagehoney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 03:58 PM
  #2  
Drillium Dude
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 9,198

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, 1973 Colnago Super concept, 1979 Medici Pro Strada, 1979 Dennis Sparrow, 1980 Alpina, 1983 Colnago Mexico, 1985 Casati Perfection, 1985 Somec Super Corsa, 2002 Bill Davidson custom

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Wish we could see it and give you an answer. If you added pics they aren't showing up for me

DD
Drillium Dude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 12:21 PM
  #3  
everyman07
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Marysville PA
Posts: 21

Bikes: Multiple Rixes, DaVinci in2ition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Sorry to bring an old post back to the top.

I collect Rixe's. I have a Club - lower end version of the 27. I would be very interested in your SR27.

I tried emailing you since I don't have enough posts to PM you.

Please respond if you are still active here.

Thanks,

Andrew
everyman07 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 12:32 PM
  #4  
everyman07
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Marysville PA
Posts: 21

Bikes: Multiple Rixes, DaVinci in2ition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
In order to not resurrect an old thread without adding new information.

The Rixe SR27 was one notch down from the top of the line. The top of the line was the SR60 which had Campy equipment.

The SR27 had the same frame with Nervex lugs but had Simplex gear.

The original Rixe brochure for the US (dated late 50s) can be found on my site theseeker dot com -> Rixe bikes -> brochure. Sorry I can't post a direct link until I have more posts.

I would be interested in a SR60 in any condition as long as it has the original Campy gear or a good condition SR27.

Andrew
everyman07 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 02:31 PM
  #5  
Binky
Senior Member
 
Binky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 673

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Originally Posted by everyman07 View Post
Sorry to bring an old post back to the top.

I collect Rixe's. I have a Club - lower end version of the 27. I would be very interested in your SR27.

I tried emailing you since I don't have enough posts to PM you.

Please respond if you are still active here.

Thanks,

Andrew
I had no idea these were collectable. I just got rid of a Rixe T-26 tandem bike. Basically gave it away. Heavier than a dead priest but the seats on it were marvelous to behold, some kind of brown vinyl that looked better than leather.
I kept the two matching seats...

Bink
Binky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 10:03 AM
  #6  
everyman07
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Marysville PA
Posts: 21

Bikes: Multiple Rixes, DaVinci in2ition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Bink -

I got into Rixe's because of a Rixe tandem. It was one of the one's with the springer front ends and was selling for $100.

I don't know that too many people would consider them "collectable".

I chose them because I think they are good looking bikes. They were only brought into the US in the mid-50s to early 60s - although service men brought them back from time to time.

The US distributor was in the next town over so there are more around here then most places and they are cheap because they are not particularly in demand.

In Germany there were a lot them because they were a popular mid-level producer. They also have a bit of an interesting history. However, in 1984 they were bought by a Chinese company then became part of the conglomerate that also owns Raleigh. Effectively the real Rixe is no more but the name marches on.
everyman07 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 10:27 AM
  #7  
Binky
Senior Member
 
Binky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 673

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Originally Posted by everyman07 View Post
Bink -

I got into Rixe's because of a Rixe tandem. It was one of the one's with the springer front ends and was selling for $100.

I don't know that too many people would consider them "collectable".

I chose them because I think they are good looking bikes. They were only brought into the US in the mid-50s to early 60s - although service men brought them back from time to time.

The US distributor was in the next town over so there are more around here then most places and they are cheap because they are not particularly in demand.

In Germany there were a lot them because they were a popular mid-level producer. They also have a bit of an interesting history. However, in 1984 they were bought by a Chinese company then became part of the conglomerate that also owns Raleigh. Effectively the real Rixe is no more but the name marches on.
My tandem had the fancy front end as well. I spent a month in Berlin, Dresden & Bad Schandau last year and saw a few Rixe bikes still in service, especially in Berlin, but no other Rixe tandems.

I am a retired millwright so before I went I posted a note on TripAdvisor saying that I had seen enough paintings of Marys-with-babies, ascensions and crucifixions to last me a lifetime and wanted a list of suggested and recommended museums filled with industrial and technological marvels of the past 10 centuries. I got a list of the best military and technology museums - filled with old airplanes, automobiles, marine equipment, bicycles, trucks, lathes, mills, mining equipment, farming tractors, fabrication equipment, stamping presses, forges, looms, tools and hardware.

I wish you all could have seen the stuff I saw. Some bikes were too weird to be ridden and some were shaft driven.
Binky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 02:01 PM
  #8  
everyman07
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Marysville PA
Posts: 21

Bikes: Multiple Rixes, DaVinci in2ition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Binky View Post

I wish you all could have seen the stuff I saw. Some bikes were too weird to be ridden and some were shaft driven.
That would be cool. Is there a weird bike picture thread or would you be interested in posting pics from the museum in a thread in the Vintage section? If so let me know, I'd like to see that.
everyman07 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 03:36 PM
  #9  
Binky
Senior Member
 
Binky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 673

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Originally Posted by everyman07 View Post
That would be cool. Is there a weird bike picture thread or would you be interested in posting pics from the museum in a thread in the Vintage section? If so let me know, I'd like to see that.

See if this does anything for you...

My wife is actually the relatively more rabid bike enthusiast, not me, and these are a few of her pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1vgju5z7q...6IlTZYkda?dl=0

Last edited by Binky; 01-13-18 at 03:39 PM.
Binky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-18, 11:11 AM
  #10  
everyman07
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Marysville PA
Posts: 21

Bikes: Multiple Rixes, DaVinci in2ition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Binky View Post
See if this does anything for you...
Very nice. Really like the Rudge triplet and that Praga
everyman07 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 09:00 PM
  #11  
Thelandmarc
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tandem in the shed

Iíve got a ďNOT West GermanĒ tandem in the shed that I came across in barn. Iíve only been able to find out bits and pieces about it, but Iíd love to learn more. It would be great to find it a new home where someone could really treat it right. Any info would be helpful!
Thelandmarc is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service