Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1987 Lotus Elite 600, is this a good bike?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1987 Lotus Elite 600, is this a good bike?

Old 01-10-18, 06:02 PM
  #1  
TerrorUnico
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1987 Lotus Excelle

I'm about to buy a blue '87 for $130 that has Shimano 105 drivetrain instead of 600, do you think this is worth the trouble of 1 hour drive? I've never seen a Lotus before and currently own a '94 Giant Cadex CFR1 for my weekly rides.

Thanks.
TerrorUnico is offline  
Old 01-10-18, 06:30 PM
  #2  
TerrorUnico
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1987 Lotus Elite 600, is this a good bike?

Hi BF members, I'm considering buying an '87 Lotus Elite 600 that I saw on a local ad in San Diego but I was wondering if the asking price is fair or not, they have it listed for $160 but the drive train is Shimano 105 instead of 600EX, do you thin this is fair and if it worth the effort to drive around 1.5 hours?

Your comments are greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
01212_5S9z3ASvn1m_1200x900.jpg (135.4 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg
00n0n_5ByWdUmC8zR_1200x900.jpg (128.0 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg
00O0O_6kzQdf9ooZM_1200x900.jpg (131.6 KB, 231 views)
TerrorUnico is offline  
Old 01-10-18, 06:42 PM
  #3  
StarBiker
Senior Member
 
StarBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,770

Bikes: Gary Fisher Cobia, Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 71 Posts
You have to ask if this a good deal? They are almost giving it away. If it's your size and the frame is nice go get it now!
StarBiker is offline  
Old 01-10-18, 06:48 PM
  #4  
Justin77
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: canada
Posts: 65

Bikes: Limongis, Marinonis, Treks and more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it is your size, 160$ is a great deal.. Looks like you will need a 9 speed cassette and a front tire/tube though.. and personally, Id change the stem but the shimano 105 5500 group looks clean.
Justin77 is offline  
Old 01-10-18, 06:49 PM
  #5  
cb400bill
Forum Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 20,303

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR gravel Viscount Aerospace Pro Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked 4,252 Times in 2,547 Posts
Condition and size are everything. Pics?
cb400bill is offline  
Old 01-10-18, 06:52 PM
  #6  
cb400bill
Forum Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 20,303

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR gravel Viscount Aerospace Pro Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked 4,252 Times in 2,547 Posts
Originally Posted by TerrorUnico View Post
I'm about to buy a blue '87 for $130 that has Shimano 105 drivetrain instead of 600, do you think this is worth the trouble of 1 hour drive? I've never seen a Lotus before and currently own a '94 Giant Cadex CFR1 for my weekly rides.

Thanks.
Posts moved from C&V to C&V Appraisals and to their own thread.
cb400bill is offline  
Old 01-10-18, 06:54 PM
  #7  
tricky 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upper Left, USA
Posts: 1,821
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by TerrorUnico View Post
I'm about to buy a blue '87 for $130 that has Shimano 105 drivetrain instead of 600, do you think this is worth the trouble of 1 hour drive? I've never seen a Lotus before and currently own a '94 Giant Cadex CFR1 for my weekly rides.

Thanks.
IMO, that's high unless it is completely mint, bearings repacked and ready to ride. That price is more in line with something that has been converted to decent brifters.
tricky is offline  
Old 01-10-18, 07:09 PM
  #8  
cb400bill
Forum Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 20,303

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR gravel Viscount Aerospace Pro Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked 4,252 Times in 2,547 Posts
Merged duplicate threads/posts.
cb400bill is offline  
Old 01-10-18, 07:09 PM
  #9  
TerrorUnico
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker View Post
You have to ask if this a good deal? They are almost giving it away. If it's your size and the frame is nice go get it now!
Oh OK thanks, I asked because I've never seen a Lotus like this before and my vintage Panasonic DX-3000 was sold for $150 6 months ago and was all original but upgraded the wheels since they were rusted but included on the price, frame was a little bit bigger for me.

I'll check on the bike frame and if its ok I'll bring her with me today thanks amigo!
TerrorUnico is offline  
Old 01-10-18, 07:11 PM
  #10  
TerrorUnico
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin77 View Post
If it is your size, 160$ is a great deal.. Looks like you will need a 9 speed cassette and a front tire/tube though.. and personally, Id change the stem but the shimano 105 5500 group looks clean.
That's what I thought when I saw the pictures that I'll need the cassette to get it on running condition, I have a spare tire/tube

Thanks!
TerrorUnico is offline  
Old 01-10-18, 07:15 PM
  #11  
TerrorUnico
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky View Post
IMO, that's high unless it is completely mint, bearings repacked and ready to ride. That price is more in line with something that has been converted to decent brifters.
I've been trying to find some a decent 105 group for an Orbea Tour I'm working on and prices I found so far are little over $100 so maybe its not that high I guess but I'll try to negotiate the price anyway hehehe thanks amigo!
TerrorUnico is offline  
Old 01-10-18, 08:59 PM
  #12  
StarBiker
Senior Member
 
StarBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,770

Bikes: Gary Fisher Cobia, Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 71 Posts
I wouldn't budge on price if I was the seller.

This thread just illiterates how worthless CL is for certain quality bikes.
StarBiker is offline  
Old 01-10-18, 09:06 PM
  #13  
wrk101
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 23,019

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 382 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker View Post
I wouldn't budge on price if I was the seller.

This thread just illiterates how worthless CL is for certain quality bikes.
Yep, and selling a bike that is not currently rideable (no front tire or tube) is nearly impossible. Great for buyers, lousy for sellers.


This one is a deal, only reason it is around is it is not rideable.
__________________
See my vintage steel bike tribute page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BillsVintageSteelBikes

Last edited by wrk101; 01-14-18 at 08:24 AM.
wrk101 is offline  
Old 01-10-18, 09:09 PM
  #14  
StarBiker
Senior Member
 
StarBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,770

Bikes: Gary Fisher Cobia, Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
Yep, and selling a bike that is not currently rideable (no front tire or tube) is nearly impossible. Great for buyers, lousy for sellers.
But that is a more than reasonable price in a good market for that bike.

You and I both know that tires are an easy fix. But yeah, the lazy clueless CL buyers don't care.
StarBiker is offline  
Old 01-10-18, 09:16 PM
  #15  
ramzilla
Senior Member
 
ramzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fernandina Beach FL
Posts: 3,528

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 225 Posts
The Lotus Elite in the second set of pictures above is worth $160. Needs a front tire & some pedals. Need to get rid of that weird stuff on the handlebars.
ramzilla is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 01:34 PM
  #16  
tricky 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upper Left, USA
Posts: 1,821
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by TerrorUnico View Post
I've been trying to find some a decent 105 group for an Orbea Tour I'm working on and prices I found so far are little over $100 so maybe its not that high I guess but I'll try to negotiate the price anyway hehehe thanks amigo!
I see I missed the pics from the duplicate thread. I didn't realize it was brifter 105 and not downtube shifter. Looks like a good deal if everything works. And a good rule of thumb for bikes is that a complete bike will usually be worth less then the sum of its parts.
tricky is offline  
Old 01-11-18, 04:58 PM
  #17  
Pemetic2006
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Elite 600
Pemetic2006 is offline  
Old 01-12-18, 01:05 PM
  #18  
TerrorUnico
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Success! I pick up the bike last night and the seller (my new amigo Dan who is the service manager at a bike shop) even included a nice set of wheels with Ultegra hubs, continental tires and a 9 speed cassette for the same price so I'll only need the pedals to enjoy this nice looking bike, the frame have some rust spots on the top tube cable guide but I guess wont affect the integrity of the bike but will make sure and take her to a shop just to make sure, paint is not bad and seems that the Shimano 105 is working fine but I'll know until I take her for a ride.

I can't load up pictures yet until I have 10 post so be patient, meanwhile I'll take her some better pictures at daylight this weekend.
TerrorUnico is offline  
Old 01-13-18, 10:28 AM
  #19  
oddjob2
Still learning
 
oddjob2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North of Canada, Adirondacks
Posts: 11,620

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
$130 for a STI shifting bike with the extra rims? You stole it! Enjoy!

Lotus bikes are few and far between, but oh so handsome.
oddjob2 is offline  
Old 01-13-18, 12:47 PM
  #20  
StarBiker
Senior Member
 
StarBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,770

Bikes: Gary Fisher Cobia, Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2 View Post
$130 for a STI shifting bike with the extra rims? You stole it! Enjoy!

Lotus bikes are few and far between, but oh so handsome.
Yep. Unless somehow that rust on the cable guides is bad it was a great deal. There might be enough paint wear on the frame to have dropped the price. That sunny picture glare, as bad as flash pic glare doesn't help.
StarBiker is offline  
Old 01-13-18, 08:36 PM
  #21  
zukahn1
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 8,610

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by TerrorUnico View Post
Success! I pick up the bike last night and the seller (my new amigo Dan who is the service manager at a bike shop) even included a nice set of wheels with Ultegra hubs, continental tires and a 9 speed cassette for the same price so I'll only need the pedals to enjoy this nice looking bike, the frame have some rust spots on the top tube cable guide but I guess wont affect the integrity of the bike but will make sure and take her to a shop just to make sure, paint is not bad and seems that the Shimano 105 is working fine but I'll know until I take her for a ride.

I can't load up pictures yet until I have 10 post so be patient, meanwhile I'll take her some better pictures at daylight this weekend.
You did great a nice $250-300 bike with $150 wheel set for $130 it doesn't get much better than that. The only issue I can see is the 9 speed cassette may not index correctly with the older 105 stuff but this is a easy fix $40-50 for a new cassette and some pedals and you have a $400-450 great riding bike.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 01-15-18, 09:57 AM
  #22  
TerrorUnico
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2 View Post
$130 for a STI shifting bike with the extra rims? You stole it! Enjoy!

Lotus bikes are few and far between, but oh so handsome.

That's my thought exactly! I'm very happy with my new year's present and will try riding some miles this weekend to get a feel of the bike.
TerrorUnico is offline  
Old 01-15-18, 10:00 AM
  #23  
TerrorUnico
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker View Post
Yep. Unless somehow that rust on the cable guides is bad it was a great deal. There might be enough paint wear on the frame to have dropped the price. That sunny picture glare, as bad as flash pic glare doesn't help.
Seems that the rust is not that bad but will take some close up pictures to share as well as some at day light because my phone does not take good quality pictures at night
TerrorUnico is offline  
Old 01-15-18, 10:07 AM
  #24  
TerrorUnico
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1 View Post
You did great a nice $250-300 bike with $150 wheel set for $130 it doesn't get much better than that. The only issue I can see is the 9 speed cassette may not index correctly with the older 105 stuff but this is a easy fix $40-50 for a new cassette and some pedals and you have a $400-450 great riding bike.
Whoa!! $250-300 bike? I thought top cost estimate would be $200 but you guys are the experts on these bike's because this is my first Lotus.
TerrorUnico is offline  
Old 02-12-18, 04:24 PM
  #25  
TerrorUnico
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


Finally took her for a ride and its a great bike, I'm no expert but didn't had any trouble with the 9 speed cassette index correctly with the older 105, 71 kilometers thru the scenic road from Rosarito to Ensenada in Baja... I'm very happy with the bike, o though its a tad bigger for my size (note the seat post all the way down)
TerrorUnico is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.