Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Trek 1000

Old 04-05-18, 10:15 AM
  #1  
Hatchet
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trek 1000

Is it worth the asking price of $500?

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/bik/d...552166834.html


Hatchet is offline  
Old 04-05-18, 11:35 AM
  #2  
Clang
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South of the Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 3,603
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 236 Posts
No. Trek 1000s pop up a lot on CL and should hover around $200. This one has a Brooks, which is nice, but that's not enough to bump up the price to anything approaching $500.
Clang is offline  
Old 04-05-18, 11:38 AM
  #3  
SkyDog75
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 3,794

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Handsome bike, seemingly in decent shape, and with a nice saddle.

...but it's *way* overpriced at $500, especially in the Buffalo market.
SkyDog75 is offline  
Old 04-05-18, 03:01 PM
  #4  
bargainguy
Senior Member
 
bargainguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Trekland
Posts: 1,939
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
In my midwest market, any used road bike without brifters struggles to get $300+ unless rare or unusual. Nice ride but not in that category.
bargainguy is offline  
Old 04-05-18, 10:32 PM
  #5  
oddjob2
Still learning
 
oddjob2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North of Canada, Adirondacks
Posts: 11,614

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 31 Posts
Saddle is worth $90 or so. Better rims and RD than original. I think $300ish is about FMV as shown.
oddjob2 is offline  
Old 04-06-18, 06:52 AM
  #6  
rhenning
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,549
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 70 Times in 49 Posts
I bought a brand new 1000 in 1989 and paid less than $500 way back when. Roger
rhenning is offline  
Old 04-06-18, 11:43 AM
  #7  
zukahn1 
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 8,028

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 148 Posts
I would say with the nice condition, even with the brooks and serviced with new tires it is worth about $300 and may take awhile to sell at that price. You just don't see bikes with aluminium frames, chro-mo forks and dt shifters get anywhere near $500 in most markets. I see a lot of similar bikes pop up on CL in the $300 range that aren't selling.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 04-06-18, 04:36 PM
  #8  
StarBiker
Senior Member
 
StarBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,644

Bikes: Gary Fisher Cobia, Cannondale Super V400, Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 46 Posts
Might have been a 59, needed work including tubes and tires and I let it go as is for $125. Took a month to sell in late Fall. Front derailleur was garbage, and the components were low end. The frame was a beauty though.



I road this for two years and sold it for $225. It needed nothing. All Shimano 105.



Makes you wonder why bother unless you are going to use the bike.

Last edited by StarBiker; 04-06-18 at 04:39 PM.
StarBiker is offline  
Old 04-07-18, 10:32 AM
  #9  
Charliekeet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 488

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, '85 Cannondale SR900, Marin Hawk Hill SE, Giant OCR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 61 Posts
It’s all been said, but my 2 cents:

Excellent entry-level sport bike, strong Al frame- I have one and I’m >200 lbs and I love it. But that price is delusional. I bought it for <$200 last year, granted to someone who didn’t seem to care much. Suntour Edge. Needed nothing but cleaning and new tires.

(It came with worn 25s and i managed to get some 32s on it- I was pessimistic, but I lucked out. Can’t remember what tires they are, but they’re nothing special... just relatively low-profile. 28s should be no prob.)
Charliekeet is offline  
Old 04-07-18, 09:50 PM
  #10  
Lovenutz
kVp & m*s
 
Lovenutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 316

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount... someday

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The seller dropped the price to $333. Maybe he or she is a BF member?
Lovenutz is offline  
Old 04-08-18, 05:53 AM
  #11  
Hatchet
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lovenutz View Post
The seller dropped the price to $333. Maybe he or she is a BF member?
I noticed the price drop and had the same thought as you.
Hatchet is offline  
Old 04-08-18, 06:47 AM
  #12  
voyager1
Senior Member
 
voyager1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Trussville, AL
Posts: 188

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5, 1991 Trek 1200, 1991 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I paid 260 for a 1991 1200. It needed only bar tape and tires (the tires were probably original). The bike didn't have a scratch on it. I would say 300.00 would be a good price for that here where I live. But of course I would I try and get it for less!

What size is that thing? Looks small.
voyager1 is offline  
Old 04-08-18, 09:13 PM
  #13  
SkyDog75
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 3,794

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by voyager1 View Post
What size is that thing? Looks small.
I'd guess the bike in the original post is 58 cm, judging by the head tube length. If that's a small bike for you, you must be a tall individual.
SkyDog75 is offline  
Old 04-08-18, 10:21 PM
  #14  
1500SLR
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 443

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What you've got is an almost bottom of the line Trek. It goes from the 500 series, to 1000 series, then 1500, and then something up in the 5000 series. It's really worth about half that price. I paid $400 for my mint 07 1500 frame, this bike is not a $500 bike.
1500SLR is offline  
Old 04-09-18, 12:57 AM
  #15  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,595
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2147 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 1500SLR View Post
What you've got is an almost bottom of the line Trek. It goes from the 500 series, to 1000 series, then 1500, and then something up in the 5000 series. It's really worth about half that price. I paid $400 for my mint 07 1500 frame, this bike is not a $500 bike.
The 1500 isn't a series, it has always been pretty much the same frame and series as the 1000.


The bicycle the OP shows in the photo is pretty much equipped as an early '90s 1400 would have been with Ultegra 6400 7 speed. Pretty nice, but dated.
Kontact is offline  
Old 04-09-18, 01:00 AM
  #16  
1500SLR
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 443

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
The 1500 isn't a series, it has always been pretty much the same frame and series as the 1000.


The bicycle the OP shows in the photo is pretty much equipped as an early '90s 1400 would have been with Ultegra 6400 7 speed. Pretty nice, but dated.
Incorrect it's a completely different bike. The aluminum that my 1500 is made out of is completely different. The SL for all intents and purposes is completely different to the SLR. It's like trying to compare a Domane to an Emonda to a Madone. Or for better reference its like trying to compare a 1500 to a CAAD or TCR. These are higher end aluminum bikes. The basic 1000 isn't even made out of the same type of metal.

Last edited by 1500SLR; 04-09-18 at 01:03 AM.
1500SLR is offline  
Old 04-09-18, 01:06 AM
  #17  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,595
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2147 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 1500SLR View Post
Incorrect it's a completely different bike. The aluminum that my 1500 is made out of is completely different. The SL for all intents and purposes is completely different to the SLR. It's like trying to compare a Domane to an Emonda to a Madone.
Are you aware that your 2007 1500SLR is a TIG welded Asian frame made 20 years after the US made lugged and bonded Trek in the OP? The two bikes have almost zero to do with each other. So maybe making general comments about they relative ranking is a bit inappropriate. It doesn't sound like you know anything about the old Treks to comment.
Kontact is offline  
Old 04-09-18, 01:12 AM
  #18  
1500SLR
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 443

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
Are you aware that your 2007 1500SLR is a TIG welded Asian frame made 20 years after the US made lugged and bonded Trek in the OP? The two bikes have almost zero to do with each other. So maybe making general comments about they relative ranking is a bit inappropriate. It doesn't sound like you know anything about the old Treks to comment.
it has always been pretty much the same frame and series as the 1000.
Except it hasn't always been the same, and this statement shows your complete lack of understanding of the facts. Whether its welded or lugged whatever. It does not make that much of a difference that people care. The manufacturing process is quite similar to any other mid level Taiwanese bike from Giant, or Specialized or whatever.

They did not have "pretty much the same" groupsets there has been different groupset options along the way. You are spreading misinformation and I'd kindly like you to stop and think about what you are doing before continuing with what you are doing.

The higher the model number of the bike in a Trek, the better the quality it generally is, the only real difference is that by 2007 they had basically replaced the 5xxx series with the Madone for all intents and purpose.

Do you know what happens when you spread misinformation? People come along and read it as a gospel and then the whole world is dumber for it.

Last edited by 1500SLR; 04-09-18 at 01:26 AM.
1500SLR is offline  
Old 04-09-18, 01:43 AM
  #19  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,595
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2147 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 1500SLR View Post
Except it hasn't always been the same, and this statement shows your complete lack of understanding of the facts. Whether its welded or lugged whatever. It does not make that much of a difference that people care. The manufacturing process is quite similar to any other mid level Taiwanese bike from Giant, or Specialized or whatever.

They did not have "pretty much the same" groupsets there has been different groupset options along the way. You are spreading misinformation and I'd kindly like you to stop and think about what you are doing before continuing with what you are doing.

The higher the model number of the bike in a Trek, the better the quality it generally is, the only real difference is that by 2007 they had basically replaced the 5xxx series with the Madone.
Okay, let me be clear - you don't know what you're blathering about. Learn:

I started working for a Trek dealer in 1990. The bike in the OP is either a '88 or '89 Trek 1000 frame that is made in the US by gluing it together out of aluminum, and it has been equipped '89 or '90 Utegra - as if it were a 1400. This basic frame was offered with a variety of component groups, and the model number referenced the components, not the frame. This was the way Trek handled all the bikes in this series that ran from 1000 to 2000 model numbers. Model numbers 2100 and up had 3 carbon tubes instead of aluminum.

The last of the bonded and lugged US made aluminum road bikes was in 1998 with the 1220. Starting in 1999 Trek changed the numbering convention entirely and called all their aluminum road bikes 2000 or larger and had them made by Giant with those big toothpaste welds. Those bikes have nothing to do with the old bonded US made bikes in construction, model numbering system, ride, quality, factory or anything else.

So when you make comparisons between a '88 bonded/lugged frameset built up with higher end parts to your bike, you aren't making a lot of sense.

Trek, Fisher, Klein, Lemond bike catalogs, bicycle brochures
Kontact is offline  
Old 04-09-18, 01:47 AM
  #20  
1500SLR
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 443

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
Okay, let me be clear - you don't know what you're blathering about. Learn:

I started working for a Trek dealer in 1990. The bike in the OP is either a '88 or '89 Trek 1000 frame that is made in the US by gluing it together out of aluminum, and it has been equipped '89 or '90 Utegra - as if it were a 1400. This basic frame was offered with a variety of component groups, and the model number referenced the components, not the frame. This was the way Trek handled all the bikes in this series that ran from 1000 to 2000 model numbers. Model numbers 2100 and up had 3 carbon tubes instead of aluminum.

The last of the bonded and lugged US made aluminum road bikes was in 1998 with the 1220. Starting in 1999 Trek changed the numbering convention entirely and called all their aluminum road bikes 2000 or larger and had them made by Giant with those big toothpaste welds. Those bikes have nothing to do with the old bonded US made bikes in construction, model numbering system, ride, quality, factory or anything else.

So when you make comparisons between a '88 bonded/lugged frameset built up with higher end parts to your bike, you aren't making a lot of sense.

Trek, Fisher, Klein, Lemond bike catalogs, bicycle brochures
Actually they're not higher end components, my bike came off the floor with full Ultegra 6600 I've since upgraded to 6770 DI2.
This was the way Trek handled all the bikes in this series that ran from 1000 to 2000 model numbers. Model numbers 2100 and u p had 3 carbon tubes instead of aluminum.
Pretty much what I said. The model number referenced the groupset.Further to the point above, the quality of the bike if anything got better when switching to Asian manufacturing over American. In fact bikes in general have gotten better not worse.
1500SLR is offline  
Old 04-09-18, 02:00 AM
  #21  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,595
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2147 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 1500SLR View Post
Actually they're not higher end components, my bike came off the floor with full Ultegra 6600 I've since upgraded to 6770 DI2.
Pretty much what I said. The model number referenced the groupset.Further to the point above, the quality of the bike if anything got better when switching to Asian manufacturing over American. In fact bikes in general have gotten better not worse.
You misunderstood. This 1000 didn't come with Ultegra. The 1000 in the OP has been upgraded with higher end parts than it came with. I don't care what your bike came with. Your bike's numbering has nothing to do with the numbering system or much of anything else from the US made bikes, except that it is also aluminum. If your bike was from 1999, it would be a 2000-something model.

So it doesn't make sense to make any comparisons between them. They are completely different and the model number on this 1000 no longer refers to the parts it has on it.
Kontact is offline  
Old 04-09-18, 03:35 PM
  #22  
Clang
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South of the Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 3,603
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 236 Posts
Like Kontact said, it's an '88 (the only year this was offered in Aqua).

1500SLR's comments are misguided. It's as if we were talking about Trek's flagship 720 touring bike and someone interjected with the claim that the model was a low-end hybrid. Same number, but different era, and different bike!

Clang is offline  
Old 04-09-18, 06:51 PM
  #23  
Charliekeet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 488

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, '85 Cannondale SR900, Marin Hawk Hill SE, Giant OCR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Clang View Post
Like Kontact said, it's an '88 (the only year this was offered in Aqua).

1500SLR's comments are misguided. It's as if we were talking about Trek's flagship 720 touring bike and someone interjected with the claim that the model was a low-end hybrid. Same number, but different era, and different bike!
...
Exactly. In 1988, 89, the 1000, 1100, 1200, & 1400 were all the same frame, Trek/Alcoa 6061 T6 (with varying components) according to the catalog I have in front of me.
The 1500 back THEN was the different one in the all-Al series, an “Easton 7000 T6 double butted” frame.

Last edited by Charliekeet; 04-09-18 at 06:56 PM.
Charliekeet is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mhawaii
Road Cycling
3
04-10-13 08:23 PM
shiro13
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
8
05-13-12 09:07 AM
GordoTrek
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
6
02-21-12 08:03 AM
boulder bound
Mountain Biking
2
07-20-10 05:58 PM
mthayer
Touring
17
01-04-10 10:05 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.