Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1989ish Dave Tesch S-22 Value?

Old 12-26-18, 04:04 PM
  #1  
PaigeV
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1989ish Dave Tesch S-22 Value?

This neon, hot pink Tesch S-22 bike has been hanging in my garage, unridden, for at least 14 years. Fourteen years ago I rode it one time, and prior to that it sat unridden for probably 11 years. I am the original owner and loved this bike when I was riding regularly with a group in Philadelphia for a year or two. I could never bring myself to get rid of it. Thirty years and four kids later, I am ready to say good-bye.

I have absolutely no idea of what value to put on it? I swapped out the handlebars in the early '90s in an effort to save my back, and swapped the seat at the same time in an effort to save my ability to have children ;-) Otherwise I think it is all original. Never had an accident, no problems. The paint has faded, but is original.

Any idea of its value? Also, any idea how I can post photos in here since I have not made 10 posts yet?
PaigeV is offline  
Old 12-26-18, 04:21 PM
  #2  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,278
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by PaigeV View Post
This neon, hot pink Tesch S-22 bike has been hanging in my garage, unridden, for at least 14 years. Fourteen years ago I rode it one time, and prior to that it sat unridden for probably 11 years. I am the original owner and loved this bike when I was riding regularly with a group in Philadelphia for a year or two. I could never bring myself to get rid of it. Thirty years and four kids later, I am ready to say good-bye.

I have absolutely no idea of what value to put on it? I swapped out the handlebars in the early '90s in an effort to save my back, and swapped the seat at the same time in an effort to save my ability to have children ;-) Otherwise I think it is all original. Never had an accident, no problems. The paint has faded, but is original.

Any idea of its value? Also, any idea how I can post photos in here since I have not made 10 posts yet?
You may upload your pics to an image hosting site and post a link here. Otherwise you need 10 posts in order to upload directly on this site.
TugaDude is offline  
Old 12-26-18, 04:55 PM
  #3  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,278
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 78 Posts
Tesch was a talented builder and his frames garner good reviews. I'm sure there will be interest. List the components as they contribute to the value. From what I can tell, the bikes typically were equipped with nice groups. Condition and size are important so be sure to list the seat tube and top tube measurements when you post your photos.
TugaDude is offline  
Old 12-26-18, 06:20 PM
  #4  
rando_couche
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,187
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 36 Posts
Just a gut feeling, but seems to me that Tesch bikes are under-appreciated and under-values compared to other builders of the same era (Ritchey and Eisentraut in particular). But that could just be my 'traut-colored glasses.

SP
OC, OR
rando_couche is offline  
Old 12-26-18, 06:36 PM
  #5  
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby
 
Poguemahone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Je suis ici
Posts: 5,322

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche View Post
Just a gut feeling, but seems to me that Tesch bikes are under-appreciated and under-values compared to other builders of the same era (Ritchey and Eisentraut in particular). But that could just be my 'traut-colored glasses.

SP
OC, OR
This is true in general for American customs.

OP, we really need pics (multiple) as well as size and a components list.
__________________
"It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Poguemahone is offline  
Old 12-27-18, 10:18 PM
  #6  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,458
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 262 Posts
And you did not mention the size... That does influence value.
I have one of these, in that outrageous Hot Neon Pink. 56 cm, Center to top.
Purchased as a frame and fork. Love the bike. This bike is not for everyone, but it is Stiff like a tree trunk.
Chainstays are 25mm at the bottom bracket. Beef.
Unfortunately for value, I must advise that they fly under the radar. The 101's get more attention.
Won mine on an ebay auction, under $200 delivered. Smile for me, frown for the seller.
repechage is offline  
Old 12-28-18, 08:24 AM
  #7  
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby
 
Poguemahone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Je suis ici
Posts: 5,322

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
Won mine on an ebay auction, under $200 delivered. Smile for me, frown for the seller.
Quite a nice buy!

Low, but not ridiculously off, I think. Most American Customs are somewhere in the 200-350 range with a (very ) few names pulling more. For frame/fork, natch.
__________________
"It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Poguemahone is offline  
Old 12-30-18, 08:23 AM
  #8  
Vonruden 
Gold Member
 
Vonruden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ocean County, NJ
Posts: 2,925

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
And you did not mention the size... That does influence value.
I have one of these, in that outrageous Hot Neon Pink. 56 cm, Center to top.
Purchased as a frame and fork. Love the bike. This bike is not for everyone, but it is Stiff like a tree trunk.
Chainstays are 25mm at the bottom bracket. Beef.
Unfortunately for value, I must advise that they fly under the radar. The 101's get more attention.
Won mine on an ebay auction, under $200 delivered. Smile for me, frown for the seller.
I would love to find a Neon Pink in the 59-61cm rane for the price
__________________
"My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my bicycles for what I told her they cost."

Get on your bikes and ride!

https://instagram.com/norseamerican/
Vonruden is offline  
Old 12-31-18, 04:38 PM
  #9  
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shady Pines Retirement Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 26,772

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1714 Post(s)
Liked 506 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by PaigeV View Post
This neon, hot pink Tesch S-22 bike has been hanging in my garage, unridden, for at least 14 years. Fourteen years ago I rode it one time, and prior to that it sat unridden for probably 11 years. I am the original owner and loved this bike when I was riding regularly with a group in Philadelphia for a year or two. I could never bring myself to get rid of it. Thirty years and four kids later, I am ready to say good-bye.

I have absolutely no idea of what value to put on it? I swapped out the handlebars in the early '90s in an effort to save my back, and swapped the seat at the same time in an effort to save my ability to have children ;-) Otherwise I think it is all original. Never had an accident, no problems. The paint has faded, but is original.

Any idea of its value? Also, any idea how I can post photos in here since I have not made 10 posts yet?

Welcome to the forums! Personally I think you should start riding it again. You can email me some pics and Iíll get them posted for you BianchiGirll@yahoo.com
__________________
Bianchis '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, '93 Reparto Corse SBX

Others but still loved; '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape SLX Bertoni "Speckled Trout"
Bianchigirll is online now  
Old 12-31-18, 05:07 PM
  #10  
GailT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
There is some info on Dave Tesch in Dave Moulton's blog. Sounds like a very interesting guy.
GailT is offline  
Old 01-01-19, 08:01 PM
  #11  
satbuilder 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 1,276

Bikes: 1969/70 Legnano Roma, 1971 Guerciotti, 1972 Cinelli SC, 1973 Bianchi Team, 173 Colnago Super, 1974 Marnati Corsa, 1974 ish Motobecane CT, 1971 Mercier 300, 1977/78 Colnago Mexico, 1982 Pinarello Italia,Tesch S-22, 1983 Peugeot Mixte

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts
Iíve had 2 of the 101ís and currently have an S-22. I do agree with others the 101ís get more attention and therefore fetch a higher price. The Flintstone style graphics on the S-22ís I think was a drawback for some, although I liked them. Massive chainstays as mentioned make it stiff.
The OP never mentioned how the bike is equipped, this will have an influence on overall value. The 101 I sold in 2003 was full C Record, including Delta brakes, in mint condition, with an extra set of wheels, and I got $1300 for it on the auction site. I sold a 101 frame a couple years ago for $700 and change. The S-22 I picked up thru a CL purchase and got it for $200. Shipping took it to close to $300. 105 equipped, with a couple small dents in the driveline side chainstay, and the wheels had seen better days.
satbuilder is online now  
Old 04-12-19, 07:44 AM
  #12  
Pt71
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you still have the s22?

if you still have the s22 I might be interested ... what size is it
Pt71 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Rallyebmx13
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
1
06-02-19 08:43 AM
Joerisner83
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
15
05-07-18 05:46 AM
Lexi143smith
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
2
04-30-18 12:50 PM
ifgd
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
17
02-18-18 09:44 AM
savolk77
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
0
05-08-17 08:16 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.