Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

IDing 6 digit Peugeot - possible PX10?

Old 05-28-19, 01:30 PM
  #1  
Scottyttocs
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IDing 6 digit Peugeot - possible PX10?

Hi Everyone,

I picked up this frame on the cheap and was trying to find some info/value on it.







Scottyttocs is offline  
Old 05-28-19, 03:03 PM
  #2  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 7,132

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked 1,208 Times in 834 Posts
@Scottyttocs

No real idea on value or model, PX10 seems plausible with chrome and white paint remnants, however seems to me ones this old (however old that is) came in Blue as well.

Very cool find, color me jealous and value should be worth plenty, especially if it was cheap.
merziac is offline  
Old 05-28-19, 03:32 PM
  #3  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 10,271
Mentioned: 292 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 499 Posts
-----

yes to PX

no later than mid-'60's

is hardwood plug present in south end of steerer?

seat tube transfer indicates the PX10 Super Deluxe model of 1964-67, offered in both blue and in white -

https://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Frame...0Evolution.htm

[scroll down]

-----

Last edited by juvela; 05-28-19 at 03:41 PM. Reason: addition
juvela is offline  
Old 05-28-19, 04:08 PM
  #4  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 17,850

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4861 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 879 Posts
Totally cool graphics.
bikemig is online now  
Old 05-28-19, 05:07 PM
  #5  
Scottyttocs
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela View Post
-----

yes to PX

no later than mid-'60's

is hardwood plug present in south end of steerer?

seat tube transfer indicates the PX10 Super Deluxe model of 1964-67, offered in both blue and in white -

Peugeot PX10 Evolution

[scroll down]

-----

no plug that I saw. Thanks for the site and info. Any idea on value?
Scottyttocs is offline  
Old 05-28-19, 05:11 PM
  #6  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 10,271
Mentioned: 292 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 499 Posts
-----

would think it more valuable than later ones due to numbers/scarcity

leave valuation to the experts...


-----
juvela is offline  
Old 05-28-19, 05:17 PM
  #7  
xiaoman1 
Awaiting Parole
 
xiaoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Weird Coast City of the Angels
Posts: 3,737

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 453 Posts
^^^^ I agree, I wonder when Peugeot start using the riveted number on PX-10 BB shells? I have a mid 60's PX and I believe it has the riveted number.
Best, Ben
__________________
"STAND UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT EVEN IF YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE STANDING"

xiaoman1 is offline  
Old 05-28-19, 05:28 PM
  #8  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 17,850

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4861 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 879 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela View Post
-----

would think it more valuable than later ones due to numbers/scarcity

leave valuation to the experts...


-----
The problem with valuing this bike is that the paint job is shot and a repaint destroys much of what makes this a cool bike.
bikemig is online now  
Old 05-28-19, 06:41 PM
  #9  
Scottyttocs
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1 View Post
^^^^ I agree, I wonder when Peugeot start using the riveted number on PX-10 BB shells? I have a mid 60's PX and I believe it has the riveted number.
Best, Ben
I think I read riveted started in the 70s.
Scottyttocs is offline  
Old 05-28-19, 06:59 PM
  #10  
xiaoman1 
Awaiting Parole
 
xiaoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Weird Coast City of the Angels
Posts: 3,737

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottyttocs View Post
I think I read riveted started in the 70s.
You could be right, I have not looked at it in a while...I'll check to make sure.
Ben
__________________
"STAND UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT EVEN IF YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE STANDING"

xiaoman1 is offline  
Old 05-28-19, 09:59 PM
  #11  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 10,271
Mentioned: 292 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 499 Posts
-----

here is an image of the wooden plug, referred to above, in place -



in case you are curious at to what stock PX's looked like near this time here is an image of a 1963. now this is a "regular" PX, not a Super Deluxe like your example. it is all original/correct save for its shift levers & handlebar wrap -

juvela is offline  
Old 05-29-19, 06:07 AM
  #12  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 17,850

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4861 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 879 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela View Post
-----

here is an image of the wooden plug, referred to above, in place -



in case you are curious at to what stock PX's looked like near this time here is an image of a 1963. now this is a "regular" PX, not a Super Deluxe like your example. it is all original/correct save for its shift levers & handlebar wrap -

This bike is beautiful. Is this part of the famous @juvela collection?

I like the plugs on the high end Peugeots.
bikemig is online now  
Old 05-29-19, 08:41 AM
  #13  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 10,271
Mentioned: 292 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 499 Posts
-----

Miguel -

Image harvested from the "show us your PX" thread here at the forum

did own one for myself - an example purchased new in MCMLXX

find subject frame bike/frame of interest as cannot recall a prior discussion on the Super Deluxe submodel of the mid-'60's

perhaps Scottytocs would enjoy a visit to the thread...


Show us your Peugeot PX10 !

-----
juvela is offline  
Old 05-29-19, 09:53 AM
  #14  
rustystrings61 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Greenwood SC USA
Posts: 1,383

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1974 Allegro No. 76, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1973 Raleigh GS, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 242 Posts
If memory serves, the riveted serial number plates start circa 1970, around the same time head badges become foil decals rather than riveted badges, and around the time of the gold and black stripes parallel with the "Peugeot" lettering on the down tube. The riveted serial number plates last until c.1978 or so when the decal scheme changes - EXCEPT there are still a number of c.1973-74 PX-10s with the steeper, more upright angles that have what look for all the world like hand-stamped serial numbers running parallel to the line of the crank spindle.
rustystrings61 is offline  
Old 05-29-19, 02:41 PM
  #15  
Scottyttocs
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So letís say i wanted to make this rideable. What do you think that would cost and where would I even start?
Scottyttocs is offline  
Old 05-29-19, 02:59 PM
  #16  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 10,271
Mentioned: 292 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 499 Posts
-----

Scottyttocs -

To get meaningful responses you would be best to specify if your goal is period correct OEM fittings or just "get it rolling"

A Verot model 63 chainset, for example, is quite a big bucks item...and difficult to locate...

it enjoyed a production life of only three to four annum


-----

Last edited by juvela; 05-29-19 at 03:01 PM. Reason: addition
juvela is offline  
Old 05-29-19, 04:09 PM
  #17  
Scottyttocs
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela View Post
-----

Scottyttocs -

To get meaningful responses you would be best to specify if your goal is period correct OEM fittings or just "get it rolling"

A Verot model 63 chainset, for example, is quite a big bucks item...and difficult to locate...

it enjoyed a production life of only three to four annum


-----
Doesnt have to be OEM. Just rideable with good parts not top of the line.
Scottyttocs is offline  
Old 05-30-19, 07:53 AM
  #18  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 17,850

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4861 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 879 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottyttocs View Post
So let’s say i wanted to make this rideable. What do you think that would cost and where would I even start?
Originally Posted by Scottyttocs View Post
Doesnt have to be OEM. Just rideable with good parts not top of the line.
What are you planning on doing to the finish?

You don't have to spend big bucks to get it rideable if you don't care about this being OEM. One way to think about this is that there were a ton of 10 speeds out there back in the day and a lot of those parts are out there floating around. The headset, bottom bracket, and rear drop out are a bit harder as French specific but there are reasonably priced ways of dealing with those three.

Mafac racers are available and don't cost a lot.

Simplex derailleurs can be pricey but you could run a derailleur on a claw.

You might be able to find the brakes and derailleurs at a co-op which will save you money.

Do you have a functioning headset and bottom bracket? French cups are available inexpensively on Amazon. Velo Orange has French threaded headsets that won't cost you a fortune.

You should be able to track down a serviceable 120 mm wheelset without paying big bucks.

You can run a 22.2 stem and handlebars but you may need to sand it down a bit.

Off the top of my head, I think you can do this for $200-$300 but that does not include refinishing the frame.

Last edited by bikemig; 05-30-19 at 08:02 AM.
bikemig is online now  
Old 05-30-19, 10:02 AM
  #19  
Scottyttocs
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
What are you planning on doing to the finish?

You don't have to spend big bucks to get it rideable if you don't care about this being OEM. One way to think about this is that there were a ton of 10 speeds out there back in the day and a lot of those parts are out there floating around. The headset, bottom bracket, and rear drop out are a bit harder as French specific but there are reasonably priced ways of dealing with those three.

Mafac racers are available and don't cost a lot.

Simplex derailleurs can be pricey but you could run a derailleur on a claw.

You might be able to find the brakes and derailleurs at a co-op which will save you money.

Do you have a functioning headset and bottom bracket? French cups are available inexpensively on Amazon. Velo Orange has French threaded headsets that won't cost you a fortune.

You should be able to track down a serviceable 120 mm wheelset without paying big bucks.

You can run a 22.2 stem and handlebars but you may need to sand it down a bit.

Off the top of my head, I think you can do this for $200-$300 but that does not include refinishing the frame.


Thanks for the info. Honestly Iíd leave the frame as is. I like the look of it as found. $200-$300 isnít too bad. Thought itíd be way more. My buddy built a bike using a co-op. Sounds like thatís the way to go. Would be a first time build for me so I probably would need all the help I can get. Lol.
Scottyttocs is offline  
Old 05-30-19, 10:45 AM
  #20  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 17,850

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4861 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 879 Posts
Easiest way to save money on the wheels is to find out whether you can make a 120 mm 27 inch wheelset work. 700c 120 mm clincher wheels are not as common as 27 inch wheelsets. I'll bet a 27 inch wheel will work just fine but you never know for certain until you try. Craigslist is likely your best source for cheap 27 inch alloy wheels. If you find a pair with hi flange hubs (not hard to do), they will look decent on this bike.
bikemig is online now  
Old 05-30-19, 12:06 PM
  #21  
gbi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Scottyttocs, it looks like your frame might have been white, the most common colors found on Super De Luxe PX10's are blue or white, like Juvela and Merziac pointed out.

FYI, i recall seeing an early 60's Super De Luxe PX10 in a lime green color.

Last edited by gbi; 05-30-19 at 12:35 PM.
gbi is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
dwing
Classic & Vintage
27
08-02-18 06:15 AM
westfalia
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
26
11-06-12 08:37 AM
lovinbiking
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
8
06-17-12 07:51 PM
tjacques
Classic & Vintage
5
08-02-10 09:38 AM
tjacques
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
0
08-01-10 11:16 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.