Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

How much do components add to the value of a bike?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

How much do components add to the value of a bike?

Old 08-27-19, 12:56 PM
  #1  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Logan, UT
Posts: 214

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 20 Posts
How much do components add to the value of a bike?

So, I was scanning the local classifieds and ran across this 1984 Fuji Espree listed for $975, so of course I had to check it out it is an absolutely beautiful bike but everything I found online was around $75-$250, so I guess my question is how much does campagnolo components add to the value of a bike. Here is his list of components
"Frame: 61cm Steel Tri-Butted Tubing
Crank: Campagnolo Chorus 170mm
Chainrings: Campagnolo Brev
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo 980
Cassette: Campagnolo Record
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Chorus
Shifters: Campagnolo Syncro II C-Record
Brake Levers: Dia Compe 152
Brakes: Tektro R539 Long Reach w/ Kool Stop Pads
Stem: Nitto
Handlebars: Nitto Olympiade 114
Rear Wheel: Mavic Open Pro w/ Continental Gran Prix 4000s II
Front Wheel Mavic Reflex w/ Continental Gran Prix 4000s II
Front Hub: Campagnolo Record
Rear Hub: Campagnolo Chorus
Seatpost: Kalloy Laprade
Saddle: Selle Italia XO Flow"
Is all of this worth $700
Gashepherd is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 01:02 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,321
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Depends on the buyer, but I wouldn't pay anywhere near the asking price for that bike.
BFisher is offline  
Likes For BFisher:
Old 08-27-19, 01:06 PM
  #3  
1/2 as far in 2x the time
 
Last ride 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northern Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 1,746

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
That mix, on that bike, almost nothing. The bike is very pretty, but I wouldn't pay even near half the ask.. Admittedly I am ignorant about Fuji bikes, but still that's nuts.
Last ride 76 is offline  
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 08-27-19, 01:07 PM
  #4  
1/2 as far in 2x the time
 
Last ride 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northern Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 1,746

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
belongs in appraisals, btw
Last ride 76 is offline  
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 08-27-19, 01:14 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
malcala622's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pico Rivera, CA
Posts: 4,182

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
For 700 bucks you can build a far superior bike than the Fuji.
malcala622 is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 01:17 PM
  #6  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Logan, UT
Posts: 214

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
belongs in appraisals, btw
Sorry, but I'm just after some schoolin, not asking for an appraisal, and I don't think that there is any better place for schoolin than you all

Last edited by Gashepherd; 08-27-19 at 01:23 PM.
Gashepherd is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 01:21 PM
  #7  
Banned.
 
Drillium Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PAZ
Posts: 12,294
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Typical novice mistake (not the OP, but the person who put the bike together), starting with a lump of a frame and attaching nice components.

OP: if you're looking for a bike, look for a quality frame at the center of the build - you can always change out/upgrade components. To answer your specific question: components only add real value to a bike if they're hung on a well-made, quality frame.

DD
Drillium Dude is offline  
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-27-19, 01:25 PM
  #8  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Logan, UT
Posts: 214

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Typical novice mistake (not the OP, but the person who put the bike together), starting with a lump of a frame and attaching nice components.

OP: if you're looking for a bike, look for a quality frame at the center of the build - you can always change out/upgrade components. To answer your specific question: components only add real value to a bike if they're hung on a well-made, quality frame.

DD
So,the whole lipstick on a pig comes to mind
Gashepherd is offline  
Likes For Gashepherd:
Old 08-27-19, 01:39 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 6,153
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
I wouldn't call that frame a "lump", but the components (for the most part) definitely deserve a better host. So the real question is -- can you find a better frame, in your size, that would be appropriate for (and compatible with) the components on this bike, transfer everything, sell off the Espree frame (which won't get you much), and will THAT bike be worth the investment of both time and money?

Okay, that's two questions.....

As for "schoolin", it's pretty much the same crowd that hangs out in the appraisals section as here. Just more of a forum guideline, when you need to ask "how much is X worth", it's better to post there.
madpogue is offline  
Likes For madpogue:
Old 08-27-19, 01:58 PM
  #10  
Banned.
 
Drillium Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PAZ
Posts: 12,294
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Gashepherd
So,the whole lipstick on a pig comes to mind
Exactly

Buying used is tough sometimes when knowledge is thin. As others have noted, however, we do have a thread for appraisals; there are people that check in there that are super-knowledgeable about every different kind of bike there is. I bet if you posted it there, someone would give you an accurate value the way it currently stands.

What's It Worth?

DD
Drillium Dude is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 02:07 PM
  #11  
1/2 as far in 2x the time
 
Last ride 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northern Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 1,746

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Gashepherd
So,the whole lipstick on a pig comes to mind
You might say that, but the mash-up of parts also reduces the over all value.

*** But DANG, that seller takes one heck of a photograph! Serious skill there.
Last ride 76 is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 02:08 PM
  #12  
1/2 as far in 2x the time
 
Last ride 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northern Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 1,746

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
I wouldn't call that frame a "lump", but the components (for the most part) definitely deserve a better host. So the real question is -- can you find a better frame, in your size, that would be appropriate for (and compatible with) the components on this bike, transfer everything, sell off the Espree frame (which won't get you much), and will THAT bike be worth the investment of both time and money?

Okay, that's two questions.....

As for "schoolin", it's pretty much the same crowd that hangs out in the appraisals section as here. Just more of a forum guideline, when you need to ask "how much is X worth", it's better to post there.
Not a chance.
Last ride 76 is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 02:19 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
ryansu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 2,841

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
that is a silly price it has no basis in reality. IMHO. Its not the top of the line, it looks like a repaint people do seem to be willing to pay lots for campy stuff but that appears to be a mishmash of entry level to higher end stuff. I might bite for $200 or less if I had a firm grasp of the campy parts market on ebay but you could do a lot better for $700 I think.
ryansu is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 02:23 PM
  #14  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Logan, UT
Posts: 214

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
As for "schoolin", it's pretty much the same crowd that hangs out in the appraisals section as here. Just more of a forum guideline, when you need to ask "how much is X worth", it's better to post there.
Again, I apologize, I was lucky to get the post into the vintage bike section, I don't maneuver on my phone very well and usually someone comes along and redirects me and my posts
Gashepherd is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 02:32 PM
  #15  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Logan, UT
Posts: 214

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
*** But DANG, that seller takes one heck of a photograph! Serious skill there.
I would have to agree with you there, I have a hard enough time just getting the bikes to stand up with no kickstand
Gashepherd is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 02:33 PM
  #16  
Veteran, Pacifist
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 13,327

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
The components are a hodgepodge.
Mismatched hubs & rims
Front derailleur = low end
DiaCompe levers
Tektro brakes
Laprade post

I would say almost zero added value from components.

It might ride nice, but asking is 3X market value.
__________________
Vintage, modern, e-road. It is a big cycling universe.
Wildwood is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 02:36 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,072

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
A higher end Japanese Tange 1 frame with that stuff on it might be worth it but IIRC that's a basic low-end Fuji frame.

Generally pantographed components add value, and anything that's original or otherwise difficult to get.

One thing I will say- if that was a Campy freewheel and not a cassette, that would almost be worth it alone because of the absurd prices old Campagnolo freewheels and cogs go for on eBay, but freehub cassettes aren't really that expensive.
sheddle is offline  
Likes For sheddle:
Old 08-27-19, 04:01 PM
  #18  
señor miembro
 
SurferRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 6,607

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,462 Times in 3,195 Posts
To me, the lower-level frameset is nearly worthless, and the upgraded components -- even the strange hodgepodge that they are -- make the build attractive.

But i'm talking like $200, total.

Last edited by SurferRosa; 08-27-19 at 04:43 PM.
SurferRosa is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 04:33 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 23,223
Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
In a case where a frame is seriously over-dressed (i.e. the components are much higher level than the frame), the value is effectively that of the components.

In a case where the frame is seriously under-dressed (i.e junk components on a high grade frameset), the value is effectively that of the frame.

Obviously there is a lot of room in between these extremes, where the components do add some value. In this case, the mismatched brands, eras and levels of components don't help. Worse yet, are the band-aids necessary to make things fit the frame (i.e. putting a claw hanger on the derailleur, adopting the Syncro levers to a clamp). Potential buyers will tend to focus on what they use, offering an appropriate amount for those parts plus what they know they can sell and maybe adding a small amount on top for the remainder and the frame.

As for the photo, it is well lit but the resolution is poor, so I wouldn't call it a good photo. If I hadn't been told the components, I would be hard pressed to have identified anything beyond the crankset and the I would immediately have passed this over based on the claw hanger and clamp style shift levers.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 06:21 PM
  #20  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Logan, UT
Posts: 214

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
In a case where a frame is seriously over-dressed (i.e. the components are much higher level than the frame), the value is effectively that of the components.

In a case where the frame is seriously under-dressed (i.e junk components on a high grade frameset), the value is effectively that of the frame.

Obviously there is a lot of room in between these extremes, where the components do add some value. In this case, the mismatched brands, eras and levels of components don't help. Worse yet, are the band-aids necessary to make things fit the frame (i.e. putting a claw hanger on the derailleur, adopting the Syncro levers to a clamp). Potential buyers will tend to focus on what they use, offering an appropriate amount for those parts plus what they know they can sell and maybe adding a small amount on top for the remainder and the frame.

As for the photo, it is well lit but the resolution is poor, so I wouldn't call it a good photo. If I hadn't been told the components, I would be hard pressed to have identified anything beyond the crankset and the I would immediately have passed this over based on the claw hanger and clamp style shift levers.
There were more component photos i just didn't want to take up too much space
Gashepherd is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 07:22 PM
  #21  
aged to perfection
 
mpetry912's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PacNW
Posts: 1,809

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 1,250 Times in 660 Posts
Campagnolo record cassette on DT shifters ? it's a lashup.

Question I feel you should need to ask yourself is - do you like the bike ? Does it fit ? will you still like it in a year ?

Everybody's taste is different. There are a few on here who have really beautiful bikes, exactly correct in every detail, shined to perfection. Mine are "resto-mods" with some updates that are functional but in reasonably good taste. Others are serious modders. But here's the thing - the frame and the fit are key ! if that's not right, then the parts pick is meaningless. If you are new to the vintage bike game, a Raleigh International is a great entry point and I have seen very nice frames go for 500 buck on ebay.

I think the consensus here is that this bike is a pass at asking price.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
mpetry912 is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 07:28 PM
  #22  
Forum Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 20,644

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,582 Times in 3,775 Posts
Thread moved to C&V Appraisals.
cb400bill is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 08:10 PM
  #23  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Logan, UT
Posts: 214

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
Campagnolo record cassette on DT shifters ? it's a lashup.

Question I feel you should need to ask yourself is - do you like the bike ? Does it fit ? will you still like it in a year ?

Everybody's taste is different. There are a few on here who have really beautiful bikes, exactly correct in every detail, shined to perfection. Mine are "resto-mods" with some updates that are functional but in reasonably good taste. Others are serious modders. But here's the thing - the frame and the fit are key ! if that's not right, then the parts pick is meaningless. If you are new to the vintage bike game, a Raleigh International is a great entry point and I have seen very nice frames go for 500 buck on ebay.

I think the consensus here is that this bike is a pass at asking price.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Honestly, I was never interested in buying the bike, just trying to figure out if the higher end components would actually add that much value. The truth is that I'm only 5'7" so it's a lot too big for me, but I do appreciate everybody's input.
Gashepherd is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 08:53 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
xiaoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 4,870

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Not that much!!!
Ben
__________________
"EVERY PERSON IS GUILTY OF ALL THE GOOD THEY DID NOT DO"
Voltaire

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors



xiaoman1 is offline  
Old 08-28-19, 10:50 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,068

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
It all boils down the inverse law of assembled bike value.
__________________
My bikes: '81 Trek 957, '83 Trek 720, '85 Trek 500, '85 Trek 770, '81 Merckx, '85 Centurion Cinelli, '85 Raleigh Portage, '92 RB-2, '09 Bianchi
nesteel is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.