Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Looking for vintage bicycle appraisal

Old 09-21-20, 06:21 PM
  #1  
Prairiewind
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Looking for vintage bicycle appraisal

My wife and I are liquidating the estate of a former bicycle shop owner. The shop closed roughly 15 years ago and much of the original inventory is still here. We are looking for a reputable appraiser in the Klamath Falls area to assist. Conservatively there is 500-1000 complete bikes in condition ranging from NOS to requires repairs. If you know of any reputable contacts please contact us.
Prairiewind is offline  
Likes For Prairiewind:
Old 09-22-20, 08:13 AM
  #2  
tpadul 
Senior Member
 
tpadul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chesterton, Indiana
Posts: 284

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Prairiewind View Post
My wife and I are liquidating the estate of a former bicycle shop owner. The shop closed roughly 15 years ago and much of the original inventory is still here. We are looking for a reputable appraiser in the Klamath Falls area to assist. Conservatively there is 500-1000 complete bikes in condition ranging from NOS to requires repairs. If you know of any reputable contacts please contact us.
Wow that must have been a very large bike shop to have that many complete bikes and they have all been sitting in the shop for over 15 years? Holy Cow!! I hope you eventually share photos and posts about them here. While I am not on the West Coast at all and would not be able to buy anything you put up for sale I would sure love to see some photos of what you have. I'm assuming you will become a regular on the forum here and share photos and possibly links to the site when you do end up selling them?
tpadul is offline  
Likes For tpadul:
Old 09-22-20, 08:59 AM
  #3  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 151 Posts
500 to 1,000 is quite a spread.
TugaDude is offline  
Old 09-22-20, 09:03 AM
  #4  
Prairiewind
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Massive shop/warehouse, 4-5 outbuildings all completely stuffed
Prairiewind is offline  
Likes For Prairiewind:
Old 09-22-20, 09:09 AM
  #5  
SurferRosa
Señor Member
 
SurferRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 3,773

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1550 Post(s)
Liked 1,506 Times in 867 Posts
Road trip!
SurferRosa is offline  
Old 09-23-20, 12:31 AM
  #6  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 7,107

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2122 Post(s)
Liked 1,183 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Prairiewind View Post
My wife and I are liquidating the estate of a former bicycle shop owner. The shop closed roughly 15 years ago and much of the original inventory is still here. We are looking for a reputable appraiser in the Klamath Falls area to assist. Conservatively there is 500-1000 complete bikes in condition ranging from NOS to requires repairs. If you know of any reputable contacts please contact us.
There is a fairly strong C+V community in Ashland, I would reach out to some of the shops there for help.

Keith Anderson, if you could find him was a master painter, frame builder and was in K Falls for awhile a few years back.

The Rogue Valley collection was also posted on here a few years ago and might be able to help if you can find them.

Last resort is the Pro's Closet, they buy collections but you have to do all the ground work to get good money out of a deal with them, Sky from Velo Cult transported his collection to Colorado himself as the shipping would have killed the deal.

Any swing at this is a herculean task and will not be for the faint of heart, it needs to be bike people you work with, regular auction/appraiser outfits will not be able to wring this out for decent $$$ to you.

Last edited by merziac; 09-23-20 at 12:35 AM.
merziac is offline  
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-23-20, 03:49 PM
  #7  
Prairiewind
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
There is a fairly strong C+V community in Ashland, I would reach out to some of the shops there for help.

Keith Anderson, if you could find him was a master painter, frame builder and was in K Falls for awhile a few years back.

The Rogue Valley collection was also posted on here a few years ago and might be able to help if you can find them.

Last resort is the Pro's Closet, they buy collections but you have to do all the ground work to get good money out of a deal with them, Sky from Velo Cult transported his collection to Colorado himself as the shipping would have killed the deal.

Any swing at this is a herculean task and will not be for the faint of heart, it needs to be bike people you work with, regular auction/appraiser outfits will not be able to wring this out for decent $$$ to you.
We greatly appreciate the information. From digging around it appears that Keith Anderson has a music career going and doesn't do a lot with bikes anymore. We contacted Rouge Valley and learned they are now in Rhode Island. We'll just keep fishing around until we find more leads. Thanks again
Prairiewind is offline  
Old 09-23-20, 05:10 PM
  #8  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 7,107

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2122 Post(s)
Liked 1,183 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Prairiewind View Post
We greatly appreciate the information. From digging around it appears that Keith Anderson has a music career going and doesn't do a lot with bikes anymore. We contacted Rouge Valley and learned they are now in Rhode Island. We'll just keep fishing around until we find more leads. Thanks again
You may be able to contact Sky Boyer from Velo Cult, as I said, he closed his shop but is still in PDX and on efbay and maybe Velo Cult on the web, not sure.

I would encourage you to get some pics for us, it may spur somebody to action that could help.

What is your level of bike expertise?
merziac is offline  
Old 09-23-20, 05:30 PM
  #9  
Prairiewind
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
You may be able to contact Sky Boyer from Velo Cult, as I said, he closed his shop but is still in PDX and on efbay and maybe Velo Cult on the web, not sure.

I would encourage you to get some pics for us, it may spur somebody to action that could help.

What is your level of bike expertise?
We have a basic knowledge of various bikes. Frames and complete bikes are relatively easy to research opposed to components. However in this case the sheer volume makes that all but impossible. We should have the 10 posts required to upload pictures and will absolutely do that.
Prairiewind is offline  
Likes For Prairiewind:
Old 09-23-20, 05:45 PM
  #10  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 7,107

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2122 Post(s)
Liked 1,183 Times in 822 Posts
That's good, without basic knowledge, you don't know what you don't know and that can be critical in cases like this.
merziac is offline  
Old 09-23-20, 06:11 PM
  #11  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 7,107

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2122 Post(s)
Liked 1,183 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Prairiewind View Post
We have a basic knowledge of various bikes. Frames and complete bikes are relatively easy to research opposed to components. However in this case the sheer volume makes that all but impossible. We should have the 10 posts required to upload pictures and will absolutely do that.
I assume you have done some research on the more recognizable bikes that you could see from the outside.

Quickest way to get the posts is to respond to each post to this thread.

1 more today and then I think 5 more tomorrow will do it.

5 X 2 days for 10 to get there.
merziac is offline  
Old 09-23-20, 07:31 PM
  #12  
Prairiewind
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
I assume you have done some research on the more recognizable bikes that you could see from the outside.

Quickest way to get the posts is to respond to each post to this thread.

1 more today and then I think 5 more tomorrow will do it.

5 X 2 days for 10 to get there.
Correct the big names Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, etc are pretty simple. I can reasonably ID the older BMX style stuff from when I was younger and drooled over the latest GT, Redline and Diamond Back products. Where my biggest obstacle (so far) comes in is seeing a pile of 150 forks or 200 sets of cranks.
Prairiewind is offline  
Old 09-23-20, 07:54 PM
  #13  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 7,107

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2122 Post(s)
Liked 1,183 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Prairiewind View Post
Correct the big names Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, etc are pretty simple. I can reasonably ID the older BMX style stuff from when I was younger and drooled over the latest GT, Redline and Diamond Back products. Where my biggest obstacle (so far) comes in is seeing a pile of 150 forks or 200 sets of cranks.
If you have BMX knowledge and its there you have a leg up. That stuff can be a big deal because much of it did not survive but as with all else you have to really know it to divide the chaff from the rest.

Your going to want to focus first on the good higher end completes that are in good shape to decide where you want to draw the line.

Whatever you do, do not let anyone cherry pick before you draft a plan, especially if it appears there is not a substantial portion of good stuff.

The cranks and forks could be good but here again, not if a good part of it is not good stuff in good shape, like I said, daunting.
merziac is offline  
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-23-20, 08:18 PM
  #14  
Prairiewind
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
If you have BMX knowledge and its there you have a leg up. That stuff can be a big deal because much of it did not survive but as with all else you have to really know it to divide the chaff from the rest.

Your going to want to focus first on the good higher end completes that are in good shape to decide where you want to draw the line.

Whatever you do, do not let anyone cherry pick before you draft a plan, especially if it appears there is not a substantial portion of good stuff.

The cranks and forks could be good but here again, not if a good part of it is not good stuff in good shape, like I said, daunting.
Daunting might be an understatement. The maddening part is every pile has to be searched. Today's find was a GT-5 drop nose seat still in packaging with the invoice mixed in with heavily damaged parts. Definitely going to be an interesting and educational experience.
Prairiewind is offline  
Old 09-24-20, 12:55 PM
  #15  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 7,107

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2122 Post(s)
Liked 1,183 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Prairiewind View Post
Daunting might be an understatement. The maddening part is every pile has to be searched. Today's find was a GT-5 drop nose seat still in packaging with the invoice mixed in with heavily damaged parts. Definitely going to be an interesting and educational experience.
Yep, gonna be a lot of chaff.
merziac is offline  
Old 09-24-20, 01:08 PM
  #16  
bOsscO
bOsscO
 
bOsscO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 406

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 2012 Cervelo R5, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
BF needs a notification option so when Prairiewind posts on this thread I can check in
bOsscO is offline  
Old 09-24-20, 02:24 PM
  #17  
cb400bill
Inoxidable Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 18,806

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1 Carbon, Cannondale Synapse Alloy, Trek 710 531 Steel

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2190 Post(s)
Liked 2,149 Times in 1,339 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO View Post
BF needs a notification option so when Prairiewind posts on this thread I can check in

__________________
Be nice

cb400bill is offline  
Old 09-24-20, 02:53 PM
  #18  
bOsscO
bOsscO
 
bOsscO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 406

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 2012 Cervelo R5, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
bOsscO is offline  
Old 09-25-20, 01:09 PM
  #19  
Prairiewind
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Working on getting the necessary 10 posts. Once completed I'll be able to check the messages some of you have sent and get some pictures posted
Prairiewind is offline  
Old 09-25-20, 05:04 PM
  #20  
jiangshi
OFG in Exile
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,733
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Prairiewind View Post
Working on getting the necessary 10 posts. Once completed I'll be able to check the messages some of you have sent and get some pictures posted
Reply to this and you will be one closer
jiangshi is offline  
Old 09-25-20, 05:21 PM
  #21  
bOsscO
bOsscO
 
bOsscO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 406

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 2012 Cervelo R5, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Prairiewind View Post
Working on getting the necessary 10 posts. Once completed I'll be able to check the messages some of you have sent and get some pictures posted
And this!!
bOsscO is offline  
Old 09-25-20, 05:46 PM
  #22  
Prairiewind
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO View Post
And this!!
just need a few more and guaranteed we'll get pictures posted
Prairiewind is offline  
Old 09-26-20, 11:41 AM
  #23  
Prairiewind
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Prairiewind View Post
just need a few more and guaranteed we'll get pictures posted
Two more posts and we'll get pictures rolling. Hopefully by this afternoon!!!
Prairiewind is offline  
Old 09-26-20, 08:32 PM
  #24  
zukahn1 
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 8,025

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 147 Posts
This is supper tough one figure low end per bike 100 at average with 500 so your looking at 400.000 value discounted. So A really tough sale get some pics of the nicer stuff and some members here will likely want a bike or two beyond that Good Luck we do what we can at the BF' .
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 09-26-20, 08:44 PM
  #25  
Prairiewind
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1 View Post
This is supper tough one figure low end per bike 100 at average with 500 so your looking at 400.000 value discounted. So A really tough sale get some pics of the nicer stuff and some members here will likely want a bike or two beyond that Good Luck we do what we can at the BF' .
Pictures will be posted very soon as this should give us the required 10 posts.
Prairiewind is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.