Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Trek 1420 Alumunum

Old 11-12-20, 07:17 AM
  #1  
justcynn 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 250

Bikes: (2) 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 All Chrome, 1985 Schwinn Peloton, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Prelude, 1988 Schwinn Premis, 1987 Trek 520,, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur, 1985 Schwinn LeTour Luxe, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur, 2011 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
Trek 1420 Alumunum

Believed to be a 1992 model seller says itís in excellent condition . To my eye itís a 60CM/24Ē- seller asking $150. Thoughts?
justcynn is offline  
Old 11-12-20, 07:48 AM
  #2  
plonz 
Senior Member
 
plonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Western MI
Posts: 2,468
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 141 Posts
It's hard to argue with spending $150 on a road bike that's ready to roll. If I were selling this bike, I'd probably ask $200 and take $160.

Worth it IMO.
plonz is offline  
Likes For plonz:
Old 11-12-20, 07:00 PM
  #3  
bargainguy
Senior Member
 
bargainguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Trekland
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 76 Posts
Worth the ask. Round tube aluminum Treks - made with Alcoa or Easton tubing - are nice rides. The later Alpha Aluminum series with the triangular section downtube, not so much.

Couple things about this one:

Wonky pedals, you might want to replace with road appropriate ones.

Seatpost has a massive setback. This will make fit problematic unless you like being stretched out. Might want to swap this out as well, to something a little closer to zero setback.
bargainguy is offline  
Old 11-12-20, 07:24 PM
  #4  
dmark 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 379

Bikes: 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 84 Trek 520, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 61 Posts
Good deal.
__________________
Last new bike 1991
dmark is offline  
Old 11-12-20, 07:35 PM
  #5  
justcynn 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 250

Bikes: (2) 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 All Chrome, 1985 Schwinn Peloton, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Prelude, 1988 Schwinn Premis, 1987 Trek 520,, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur, 1985 Schwinn LeTour Luxe, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur, 2011 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
thanks all, I am travelling to the location where this bike is located next week, if still available - will buy! I just like the look and if it rides well, all the better
justcynn is offline  
Old 11-12-20, 08:00 PM
  #6  
ramzilla
Senior Member
 
ramzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fernandina Beach FL
Posts: 3,515

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 217 Posts
That would be gone in about 1/2 a day around here. Go get that right now or fuhgetabowdit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's it. That's all. Done deal. Be good. Have fun.
ramzilla is offline  
Old 11-13-20, 09:00 AM
  #7  
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shady Pines Retirement Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 27,678

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked 932 Times in 568 Posts
I’d buy it just for the ‘kit’ at that price.
__________________
ďOne morning you wake up, the girl is gone, the bikes are gone, all that's left behind is a pair of old tires and a tube of tubular glue, all squeezed out"

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Bianchigirll is offline  
Old 11-16-20, 07:58 PM
  #8  
justcynn 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 250

Bikes: (2) 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 All Chrome, 1985 Schwinn Peloton, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Prelude, 1988 Schwinn Premis, 1987 Trek 520,, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur, 1985 Schwinn LeTour Luxe, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur, 2011 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
Iíd buy it just for the Ďkití at that price.
alright, one more - with a name Bianchi Girl this one might be rght up your ally. What do you think this Bianchi is worth? Its the right green, looks supers original and nice but $700 is way too rich for me, but I do have some trades and where I live, virtually no way this bike sells anywhere close to the ask

https://fortsmith.craigslist.org/bik...231941011.html
justcynn is offline  
Old 11-16-20, 08:39 PM
  #9  
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shady Pines Retirement Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 27,678

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked 932 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by justcynn View Post
alright, one more - with a name Bianchi Girl this one might be rght up your ally. What do you think this Bianchi is worth? Its the right green, looks supers original and nice but $700 is way too rich for me, but I do have some trades and where I live, virtually no way this bike sells anywhere close to the ask

https://fortsmith.craigslist.org/bik...231941011.html
This is a beautiful bike. Don't get caught up the Campione del Mondo thing that is a just a sticker that was put on almost ever '87,'88,'89 Bianchi sold after Moreno Argentin won the World Road Championships in '86.

This beautiful '87 Limited has a rather unique paint color of Metallic Celeste and it has a very nice pearlescent shine in the sun. While this bike is beautiful and very clean and appearing unused I am not sure I'd spend $700 on it. I think the retail price on this was somewhere between $600-700.

These came in 47, 50, 53, 56, 59 and 62cm measured center to top so this one is likely a 59





__________________
ďOne morning you wake up, the girl is gone, the bikes are gone, all that's left behind is a pair of old tires and a tube of tubular glue, all squeezed out"

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Bianchigirll is offline  
Old 11-17-20, 07:05 AM
  #10  
justcynn 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 250

Bikes: (2) 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 All Chrome, 1985 Schwinn Peloton, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Prelude, 1988 Schwinn Premis, 1987 Trek 520,, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur, 1985 Schwinn LeTour Luxe, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur, 2011 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
This is a beautiful bike. Don't get caught up the Campione del Mondo thing that is a just a sticker that was put on almost ever '87,'88,'89 Bianchi sold after Moreno Argentin won the World Road Championships in '86.

This beautiful '87 Limited has a rather unique paint color of Metallic Celeste and it has a very nice pearlescent shine in the sun. While this bike is beautiful and very clean and appearing unused I am not sure I'd spend $700 on it. I think the retail price on this was somewhere between $600-700.

These came in 47, 50, 53, 56, 59 and 62cm measured center to top so this one is likely a 59





thanks - indeed beautiful. I will keep an eye on it and see what happens, but $700 too much for me although I would love to own it and ride it on occasion.
justcynn is offline  
Old 11-17-20, 04:43 PM
  #11  
tkamd73 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Menomonee Falls, WI
Posts: 1,294

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 287 Posts
At least the Bianchi will probably still be there in a week, that Trek will be long gone. If the 1420 is your size, and at that price, I would just buy it now, your going there in a week anyway!
Tim
tkamd73 is offline  
Old 11-17-20, 04:56 PM
  #12  
justcynn 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 250

Bikes: (2) 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 All Chrome, 1985 Schwinn Peloton, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Prelude, 1988 Schwinn Premis, 1987 Trek 520,, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur, 1985 Schwinn LeTour Luxe, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur, 2011 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73 View Post
At least the Bianchi will probably still be there in a week, that Trek will be long gone. If the 1420 is your size, and at that price, I would just buy it now, your going there in a week anyway!
Tim
sadly, my trip cancelled and the Trek 1420 is going to be a great deal for someone else, we were going to Foley AL for a VB tourney and our team had to bow out due to a covid outbreak. too far to make the trip for a even a beautiful. Trek The irony, I have collected all of these bike with this new hobby because of Covid and the one I really wanted slipped away because of covid. I suppose I could use the money I saved on the trip for the Bianchi...hmmm? Prob not, getting a deal is the biggest part of the trill for me
justcynn is offline  
Old 11-22-20, 09:31 AM
  #13  
DMC707 
Senior Member
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 4,612

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by justcynn View Post
sadly, my trip cancelled and the Trek 1420 is going to be a great deal for someone else, we were going to Foley AL for a VB tourney and our team had to bow out due to a covid outbreak. too far to make the trip for a even a beautiful. Trek The irony, I have collected all of these bike with this new hobby because of Covid and the one I really wanted slipped away because of covid. I suppose I could use the money I saved on the trip for the Bianchisee...hmmm? Prob not, getting a deal is the biggest part of the trill for me
offer $500 for the Bianchi and see if they take it.

just checking but for bikes in this size range, youre at least 5í10 or 11 right?
DMC707 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.