Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

What to do with my Dads Bike - Jo Routens 1973

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

What to do with my Dads Bike - Jo Routens 1973

Old 11-07-21, 02:54 PM
  #1  
Tstolz12
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What to do with my Dads Bike - Jo Routens 1973

I am going through my dads stuff after he passed away and i'm looking for advice on what to do with his Jo Routens 1973 bike. He got it new when he was going to school in france in Grenoble. He rode it to the 1974 Monaco grand prix. I want to see this bike go to someone who will appreciate it as i just don't have the room for it. Looking for advice on what it is worth and where to sell it. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jo Routens.pdf (14.40 MB, 114 views)
File Type: pdf
IMG_2232.HEIC.pdf (13.13 MB, 78 views)
Tstolz12 is offline  
Likes For Tstolz12:
Old 11-07-21, 08:09 PM
  #2  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 17,228
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2329 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 940 Posts
The details appear to be brand extension and not the Constructeur.
I think one had to evaluate it as for what it is and not the brand.
repechage is offline  
Old 11-08-21, 08:03 AM
  #3  
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen
 
Phil_gretz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
Posts: 7,003

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 801 Posts
My condolences for your loss. I hope that you have fond memories of your father.
Phil_gretz is offline  
Old 11-08-21, 08:14 AM
  #4  
bikemike73 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 643

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 96 Posts
Make room and keep the bike.

The sentimental value will far exceed the dollar amount.

Very sorry for your loss
bikemike73 is offline  
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 11-08-21, 08:27 AM
  #5  
wrk101
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 23,004

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 375 Posts
The sentimental value of keeping my dad's bike (if he had one), would far exceed any monetary value. As far as selling stuff, eBay tends to yield the most, but you have to be willing and able to pack carefully. and ship. And then you have the pesky fees. But I would keep it. Once its gone, its gone...
wrk101 is offline  
Old 11-08-21, 08:29 AM
  #6  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 19,285

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5411 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemike73 View Post
Make room and keep the bike.

The sentimental value will far exceed the dollar amount.

Very sorry for your loss
+ 1 on this post.

I too am sorry that for your loss. This is a difficult time and that is compounded by dealing with your parent's things. If the bike fits you, though, you may find it a pleasure to ride this bike from time to time. I know I do when I ride my father's bike.
bikemig is online now  
Old 11-08-21, 08:32 AM
  #7  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,521
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3127 Post(s)
Liked 1,801 Times in 1,050 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I can't open your links. After you get 10 posts, you'll be able to post pictures here that we can all see.
himespau is offline  
Old 11-08-21, 09:47 AM
  #8  
Tstolz12
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikemike73 View Post
Make room and keep the bike.

The sentimental value will far exceed the dollar amount.

Very sorry for your loss

I am keeping his car and other stuff but at a certain point I have to draw a line... Just want some things to go to a good home.
Tstolz12 is offline  
Old 11-08-21, 09:48 AM
  #9  
Tstolz12
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you!
Tstolz12 is offline  
Old 11-08-21, 09:53 AM
  #10  
cb400bill
Forum Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 20,294

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR gravel Viscount Aerospace Pro Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2718 Post(s)
Liked 4,232 Times in 2,537 Posts
Pic Assist


__________________
Life is good






cb400bill is offline  
Old 11-08-21, 09:57 AM
  #11  
cb400bill
Forum Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 20,294

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR gravel Viscount Aerospace Pro Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2718 Post(s)
Liked 4,232 Times in 2,537 Posts
https://www.ebykr.com/jo-routens-randonneur-excellence/

Joseph “Jo” Routens was one of the greatest makers of randonneur, cyclotouring and cyclosportif bicycles in all of cycling history. The only other name regularly considered alongside his more aged contemporaries, Rene Herse and Alex Singer, Routens was distinct from these seminal influences in his unwavering commitment to the everyday cyclist.
__________________
Life is good






cb400bill is offline  
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 11-08-21, 05:40 PM
  #12  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 19,285

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5411 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
https://www.ebykr.com/jo-routens-randonneur-excellence/

Joseph “Jo” Routens was one of the greatest makers of randonneur, cyclotouring and cyclosportif bicycles in all of cycling history. The only other name regularly considered alongside his more aged contemporaries, Rene Herse and Alex Singer, Routens was distinct from these seminal influences in his unwavering commitment to the everyday cyclist.
that is a great website. Thanks for posting the link.
bikemig is online now  
Likes For bikemig:
Old 11-09-21, 11:06 AM
  #13  
Tstolz12
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
The details appear to be brand extension and not the Constructeur.
I think one had to evaluate it as for what it is and not the brand.
Do you know where i would go or ask to find out what kind of Jo Routens bike this is?
Tstolz12 is offline  
Old 11-09-21, 03:30 PM
  #14  
obrentharris 
Senior Member
 
obrentharris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Point Reyes Station, California
Posts: 3,840

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,796 Times in 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Tstolz12 View Post
Do you know where i would go or ask to find out what kind of Jo Routens bike this is?
From what little I can tell from the photos it appears to be a nice upper-middle quality bike with some quality components.

There is a long-standing tradition of subcontractors in the bicycle industry. Just because a bike's decals say "Masi" or "Routens" does not mean that it was made in the Masi or Routens workshop. It may have been ordered from any number of other firms. Some of these subcontractors built bikes for several different companies.

Jo Routens was best known for his extremely high quality frames built with great attention to every detail. Many of them had the "Hellenic" style seat stays. It is very possible that the lesser quality bikes sold at the Routens shop were ordered from some other maker. As you can imagine, unravelling all of this fifty years after the fact can be difficult. Unless you can find someone with intimate knowledge of the Routens shop in the seventies you may never have a clear answer. However, if you can supply us with some detailed photos of the framework we may be able to figure it out for you.

Specifically give us photos of the fork crown, the dropouts, the seat cluster, the bottom bracket, (including any serial number that might be present) the brake bridge, any cutouts in the lugs, and a closer straight-on drive side view of the entire bike. Components don't matter much, as those are often removed and replaced with others during the lifetime of the bike.
Brent
obrentharris is offline  
Old 11-09-21, 04:27 PM
  #15  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 17,228
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2329 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by Tstolz12 View Post
Do you know where i would go or ask to find out what kind of Jo Routens bike this is?
forums tontonvelo
hunt around
use a translate program.
repechage is offline  
Likes For repechage:
Old 11-09-21, 05:02 PM
  #16  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,873
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
https://www.ebykr.com/jo-routens-randonneur-excellence/

Joseph “Jo” Routens was one of the greatest makers of randonneur, cyclotouring and cyclosportif bicycles in all of cycling history. The only other name regularly considered alongside his more aged contemporaries, Rene Herse and Alex Singer, Routens was distinct from these seminal influences in his unwavering commitment to the everyday cyclist.
Thanks for that link! Very interesting.
TugaDude is offline  
Old 11-09-21, 05:12 PM
  #17  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,873
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 266 Posts
Find someone who will appreciate it and gift it to them. Tell them the history of it, about your fathers’s love for it and how he’d be pleased if it brought them enjoyment.
TugaDude is offline  
Old 11-09-21, 05:43 PM
  #18  
jdawginsc 
Edumacator
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 4,020

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,141 Times in 802 Posts
Sorry for the loss of your dad. I am sure he would bring this bike with him! Beautiful bike.

It would be amazing if it were your size and you developed a love of riding with it, but odds are even that if you decided to sell, you might get someone to use and cherish, or might get someone to collect and sell.

If selling, you do the best you can but ultimately how it is used is out of your hands.

You could also break it down and pack in a box for later decisions...kick the can down the road!
__________________
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1980s Vanni Losa Cassani thingy, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981? Faggin, Cannondale M500, etc...Need to do an N -1...



jdawginsc is online now  
Old 11-10-21, 03:52 PM
  #19  
zukahn1
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 8,610

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc View Post
Sorry for the loss of your dad. I am sure he would bring this bike with him! Beautiful bike.

It would be amazing if it were your size and you developed a love of riding with it, but odds are even that if you decided to sell, you might get someone to use and cherish, or might get someone to collect and sell.

If selling, you do the best you can but ultimately how it is used is out of your hands.

You could also break it down and pack in a box for later decisions...kick the can down the road!
Good point that it would be pretty easy to partially break the bike down and box it for storage so it wouldn't take up much space or get damaged. There a a bunch of guides for doing this online.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 11-11-21, 06:28 PM
  #20  
Tstolz12
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by obrentharris View Post
From what little I can tell from the photos it appears to be a nice upper-middle quality bike with some quality components.

There is a long-standing tradition of subcontractors in the bicycle industry. Just because a bike's decals say "Masi" or "Routens" does not mean that it was made in the Masi or Routens workshop. It may have been ordered from any number of other firms. Some of these subcontractors built bikes for several different companies.

Jo Routens was best known for his extremely high quality frames built with great attention to every detail. Many of them had the "Hellenic" style seat stays. It is very possible that the lesser quality bikes sold at the Routens shop were ordered from some other maker. As you can imagine, unravelling all of this fifty years after the fact can be difficult. Unless you can find someone with intimate knowledge of the Routens shop in the seventies you may never have a clear answer. However, if you can supply us with some detailed photos of the framework we may be able to figure it out for you.

Specifically give us photos of the fork crown, the dropouts, the seat cluster, the bottom bracket, (including any serial number that might be present) the brake bridge, any cutouts in the lugs, and a closer straight-on drive side view of the entire bike. Components don't matter much, as those are often removed and replaced with others during the lifetime of the bike.
Brent

Here are some close up pictures of the bike.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jo Routens 2256.Done.pdf (30.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf
Jo Routens 2257.Done.pdf (32.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: pdf
Jo Routens 2258.Done.pdf (41.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf
Jo Routens 2260.Done.pdf (38.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf
Jo Routens 2263.Done.pdf (31.4 KB, 10 views)
Tstolz12 is offline  
Old 11-11-21, 10:15 PM
  #21  
degan
Mote of Dust
 
degan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 891
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 38 Posts
Can we stick to ID/appraisal please? It seems weird to try to impart our own sentimentality into someone else. We don't know whats important for this person and their dad. Maybe it just hung in the garage all these years. Maybe it was just around but not a cherished item. Whatever the reason it none of us are privy to it or the circumstances surrounding it, I don't think we should be poking at this persons motivation here.
degan is offline  
Likes For degan:
Old 11-11-21, 10:40 PM
  #22  
obrentharris 
Senior Member
 
obrentharris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Point Reyes Station, California
Posts: 3,840

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,796 Times in 644 Posts
Perhaps we could ask @cb400bill for another image assist. I can't figure out how to post those photos here.

The photo of the bottom bracket is most interesting. There does not appear to be a traditional bottom bracket shell. Rather it appears welded or fillet brazed. The resolution of the photo is not great but it appears that if there are fillets they are very small. This is something that appears in other Routens bikes but not in bikes coming from larger workshops as far as I know.

I went searching on line for photos of other Routens bikes and found a couple with similar v-shaped crimp at the top of the seat stays.

I find this bike fascinating. The fork crown is quite chunky by Routens standards and the dropouts appear to be stamped instead of forged, a detail that, after the fifties, is usually indicative of middle or lower line models. The lugwork is nice, but not spectacular. At this point I think this bike was probably built at the Routens workshop rather than by a subcontractor, but I have no real expertise on Routens bikes other than to have admired the couple I have seen in person and the many I have seen in photos.

Perhaps @verktyg, @bertinjim, @juvela, @Catnap or the inimitable @MauriceMoss might be able to help us.

Brent
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jo Routens 2257.Done.pdf (32.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf
Jo Routens 2258.Done.pdf (41.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf
Jo Routens 2260.Done.pdf (38.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf
Jo Routens 2263.Done.pdf (31.4 KB, 6 views)
obrentharris is offline  
Old 11-12-21, 05:38 AM
  #23  
cb400bill
Forum Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 20,294

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR gravel Viscount Aerospace Pro Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2718 Post(s)
Liked 4,232 Times in 2,537 Posts



__________________
Life is good






cb400bill is offline  
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 11-12-21, 08:14 AM
  #24  
bertinjim 
Senior Member
 
bertinjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Region, Canada
Posts: 1,355

Bikes: 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1970s Carlton Kermesse, 1982 Peugeot PB 12

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 105 Posts
Tstolz12-

It is possible your bike is a mid-range sub-contracted bike for Routens. Like many other smaller shops and builders, mid-range bikes would be sourced from larger firms like Cycles France-Loire or Manufrance. I believe yours is a Manufrance based on the lug work, stay caps and overall design. The frameset is likely Vitus Durifort or 172 as these were popular tubesets to use at that price point. Manufrance especially built this level frameset without forged rear dropouts just as yours has. There is a similar bike here as a comparison: Manufrance Hirondelle Restoration By Jimi - The Velo Collective

Also, the suggestion to use TonTon Velo is a good one and you can find them here: https://forum.tontonvelo.com/viewforum.php?f=2
bertinjim is offline  
Likes For bertinjim:
Old 11-12-21, 10:56 AM
  #25  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 11,676
Mentioned: 328 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Liked 1,333 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris View Post
Perhaps we could ask @cb400bill for another image assist. I can't figure out how to post those photos here.

The photo of the bottom bracket is most interesting. There does not appear to be a traditional bottom bracket shell. Rather it appears welded or fillet brazed. The resolution of the photo is not great but it appears that if there are fillets they are very small. This is something that appears in other Routens bikes but not in bikes coming from larger workshops as far as I know. =
NERVEX offered lugless bottom bracket shells. what we see in the photos may be NERVEX item Ref. 3300.

joinery of tubes to shell appears it may be accomplished with the "inexternal" technique.

-----

Last edited by cb400bill; 11-12-21 at 11:13 AM.
juvela is offline  
Likes For juvela:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.