Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1984 Raleigh Team Cadet...

Old 10-23-23, 08:49 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Binky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 870

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 129 Times in 56 Posts
1984 Raleigh Team Cadet...

Usually when I get a call from a local scrap metal guy, I am not impressed with the find.
The nicest bikes are most often the wrong size or worn out.
This one is the right size (60cm) and in very decent shape.
With scrap prices at $250.00 per ton for "mixed" scrap, the scrappers can get about $2.50 to $3.00 for a decent bike by weight and welcome my offer of $10 to $20 (Canadian, or about $7 to $15 US).

This was a welcome find yesterday, a 40-year old Raleigh Team Cadet, the "repro" of the Raleigh "Team" model of the previous year, that was put away with a flat tire many, many moons ago -- by the original owner.

Noice, as my daughter would say...














Binky is offline  
Likes For Binky:
Old 10-26-23, 02:26 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 9,496

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 601 Posts
Based on really nice condition I would say $175-200 ready to ride. I really like the paint.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 10-26-23, 04:53 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 170

Bikes: 2022 Ibis Ripmo AF, 2022 Cannondale Synapse, 2022 Ritchey Outback, 197(?) Manufrance Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 61 Posts
No idea about the value, but a good looking machine for sure. Not to mention it has the desirable Aerospace Contour feature.
Maxey is offline  
Old 10-27-23, 08:41 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Binky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 870

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 129 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxey
No idea about the value, but a good looking machine for sure. Not to mention it has the desirable Aerospace Contour feature.
Yeah....about the Aerospace Contour feature....

The 1984 Raleigh catalog says that the Team Cadet frame is Raleigh Controlled Carbon "Aero" 18-32 tubing... and also says that the bike was built " using Raleigh's own unique round-oval-round tubing form in Reynolds 501 cromalloy or Raleigh's own 18-23 cycle tubing. This new tubing section has its major axis aligned with the vertical axis of the frame improving stiffness and responsiveness whilst retaining the lightness required for speed".

Actually, considering that I expected a beater, I am delighted with how solid and agile the bike feels.

M


Binky is offline  
Old 10-27-23, 06:50 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 9,496

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 601 Posts
While lower mid lever the 18 series tubed Raleigh's ride good and have very good forks. Components are all over the place so maybe original or not but I bet likely original on as found . This one screams low budget Tri bike trainer.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 10-27-23, 08:49 PM
  #6  
Happy With My Bikes
 
Chuck M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,116

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 1,065 Posts
Originally Posted by Binky
With scrap prices at $250.00 per ton for "mixed" scrap, the scrappers can get about $2.50 to $3.00 for a decent bike by weight and welcome my offer of $10 to $20 (Canadian, or about $7 to $15 US).
Nice score and thanks for saving it from the dump. I'd give that price for the spoke reflectors to put on my '84 Competition.
__________________
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels." -- Heinz Stücke

Chuck M is offline  
Old 10-28-23, 08:15 AM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Dickinson, ND
Posts: 170

Bikes: 2022 Ibis Ripmo AF, 2022 Cannondale Synapse, 2022 Ritchey Outback, 197(?) Manufrance Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Binky
Yeah....about the Aerospace Contour feature....

The 1984 Raleigh catalog says that the Team Cadet frame is Raleigh Controlled Carbon "Aero" 18-32 tubing... and also says that the bike was built " using Raleigh's own unique round-oval-round tubing form in Reynolds 501 cromalloy or Raleigh's own 18-23 cycle tubing. This new tubing section has its major axis aligned with the vertical axis of the frame improving stiffness and responsiveness whilst retaining the lightness required for speed".

Actually, considering that I expected a beater, I am delighted with how solid and agile the bike feels.

M


It's all good, just a little good-natured teasing on my part, couldn't resist because of the Space Shuttle graphic. Bottom line the bike is a hell of a score. It just blows my mind that something so nice can end up at the dump.
Maxey is offline  
Old 10-28-23, 12:41 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Binky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 870

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 129 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxey
It's all good, just a little good-natured teasing on my part, couldn't resist because of the Space Shuttle graphic. Bottom line the bike is a hell of a score. It just blows my mind that something so nice can end up at the dump.
A decal with a little picture of the 1982 Space Shuttle on the bike meant that it was REALLY space-age ....so very modern and up-to-date !!

​​​​​​​Binky


Binky is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.