Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Is this Trek 400 Worth it?

Old 11-20-23, 08:02 AM
  #26  
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 44,495

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12445 Post(s)
Liked 7,319 Times in 3,866 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
No, he flips but does not do maintenance or upgrades. He wants bikes he can make $25-$50 w/o effort. Nothing wrong with that, FWIW.
Oh I see. Not sure what the market is like in TN at the moment, but it would be tricky to get any profit off of that as a straight flip in AZ right now. Would likely take several months to sell it at cost.
LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 11-20-23, 09:45 AM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 9,496

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Heh, maybe they got a deal from Sakae - a few thousand triple cranksets, but only some with granny gears on 'em might've been cheaper than buying half actual double cranks.
+1 I have seen these cranks set up as both 2x and 3x OEM on several bikes from around this time it was a cost cutting measure that several makers use so the could use the same cranks on several models. These cranks were designed to work nicely as either a double or a triple.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 11-20-23, 10:13 AM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Sedgemop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,667

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,212 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
+1 I have seen these cranks set up as both 2x and 3x OEM on several bikes from around this time it was a cost cutting measure that several makers use so the could use the same cranks on several models. These cranks were designed to work nicely as either a double or a triple.
Thanks for the clarification. Cost-cutting measures are frequently the answer to mysteries around here.
__________________
Sedgemop is offline  
Old 11-20-23, 06:20 PM
  #29  
Happy With My Bikes
 
Chuck M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,124

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 2,203 Times in 1,068 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
No, he flips but does not do maintenance or upgrades. He wants bikes he can make $25-$50 w/o effort. Nothing wrong with that, FWIW.
I can agree with there not being anything wrong with that. But I don't know that I could enjoy flipping. Dealing with some of these people on FB and CL for bikes I want is one thing. But for no more than a 25 to 50 buck return, I gotta stick with something I want to keep.
__________________
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels." -- Heinz Stücke

Chuck M is online now  
Old 11-21-23, 01:09 AM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,352
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I can agree with there not being anything wrong with that. But I don't know that I could enjoy flipping. Dealing with some of these people on FB and CL for bikes I want is one thing. But for no more than a 25 to 50 buck return, I gotta stick with something I want to keep.
Oh, I flip a whole lot. Sometimes I even make money but more often than not it just affords me to practice catch and release. That way I can experience more bikes than I have space for.

If I buy a $100 bike I want to ride I could not care less if the previous owner got it for free from a dumpster, I'm just glad that he made it available to me for a price I was happy to pay.
abdon is offline  
Likes For abdon:
Old 11-24-23, 10:31 AM
  #31  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by abdon
Oh, I flip a whole lot. Sometimes I even make money but more often than not it just affords me to practice catch and release. That way I can experience more bikes than I have space for.

If I buy a $100 bike I want to ride I could not care less if the previous owner got it for free from a dumpster, I'm just glad that he made it available to me for a price I was happy to pay.
That pretty much sums up my philosophy as well.
And it's easier to do it with bikes than my former obsession...motorcycles.
RoadWearier is offline  
Old 11-24-23, 11:30 AM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 8,610

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 2,394 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
That pretty much sums up my philosophy as well.
And it's easier to do it with bikes than my former obsession...motorcycles.
So did you pick it up?
curbtender is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.