Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

About to break my New Year's Resolution already???

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

About to break my New Year's Resolution already???

Old 01-04-11, 10:03 AM
  #1  
buldogge
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About to break my New Year's Resolution already???

So...There is an early Lemond (should be a Greg Lemond) for sale here...I said I wasn't gonna buy anything unless it was special...but...I might go by and have a look at it.

It is probably a Bilato bike, but perhaps I'll get lucky and it will be a Della Santa!

Unfortunately, it was repainted by Trek in '98 (under warranty? for a cracked tube) in the Zurich colorway for that year...also, the original steel fork was "lost by Trek" and replaced with the current CF fork at the time.

Obviously, I will diligently check for frame damage/repairs!

It is equipped with a Chorus 7sp Gruppo, Cinelli cockpit, and MA40 rims...and tubing is supposedly SPX.

Assuming that the bike is sound what do you think is a fair price...or should I say, what would you pay the guy! ()???
buldogge is offline  
Old 01-04-11, 10:35 AM
  #2  
beech333
Fuji Fan
 
beech333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oswego, Il
Posts: 1,638

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by buldogge View Post

Assuming that the bike is sound what do you think is a fair price...or should I say, what would you pay the guy! ()???
Wrong forum.
beech333 is offline  
Old 01-04-11, 10:37 AM
  #3  
buldogge
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanx...maybe I'll break another resolution as well.

Originally Posted by beech333 View Post
Wrong forum.
buldogge is offline  
Old 01-04-11, 10:46 AM
  #4  
rhm
multimodal commuter
 
rhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ, NYC, LI
Posts: 19,584

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 516 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 179 Posts
Yes, it's too early in the year to go breaking New Years resolutions.

Okay, if you insist, drive a hard bargain. Talking points: Repainted for a cracked tube? You mean, they replaced the tube and repainted the whole thing. Did anyone at Trek still know how to do that in 1998? And they lost the original fork in the spray booth? Before I believe any of that, I'll want to see some documentation from Trek, including a letter of apology about the fork. Call me a cynic, but I don't like the smell of it.
rhm is offline  
Old 01-04-11, 10:51 AM
  #5  
buldogge
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree completely...but, that is the story.

I'm gonna go look at it with a cynics eye and a nearly empty "wallet".

TA

Originally Posted by rhm View Post
Yes, it's too early in the year to go breaking New Years resolutions.

Okay, if you insist, drive a hard bargain. Talking points: Repainted for a cracked tube? You mean, they replaced the tube and repainted the whole thing. Did anyone at Trek still know how to do that in 1998? And they lost the original fork in the spray booth? Before I believe any of that, I'll want to see some documentation from Trek, including a letter of apology about the fork. Call me a cynic, but I don't like the smell of it.
buldogge is offline  
Old 01-04-11, 10:53 AM
  #6  
55/Rad
Form*r Ho*rd*r
 
55/Rad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 11,733

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What is the asking price? You may not have a lot of time to ponder and negotiate.
__________________
55/Rad is offline  
Old 01-04-11, 11:19 AM
  #7  
cb400bill
Inoxidable Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 18,827

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1 Carbon, Cannondale Synapse Alloy, Trek 710 531 Steel

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2202 Post(s)
Liked 2,176 Times in 1,358 Posts
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/2141498203.html
__________________
Be nice

cb400bill is offline  
Old 01-04-11, 05:18 PM
  #8  
buldogge
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couldn't help myself...picked it up for $350.

Rides very nice (limited test ride)...still not sure who made the frame though...gonna remove the Zurich stickers and leave the Lemond stickers for now.

Gonna have to change out the 130mm 1A and 66-42 bars though...I have a 100 or 120 XA and a 64-42 that should do the trick...some fresh (yellow?) tape and it should be good-to-go.

TA
buldogge is offline  
Old 01-05-11, 04:58 AM
  #9  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,149
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by buldogge View Post
Couldn't help myself...picked it up for $350.

Rides very nice (limited test ride)...still not sure who made the frame though...gonna remove the Zurich stickers and leave the Lemond stickers for now.

Gonna have to change out the 130mm 1A and 66-42 bars though...I have a 100 or 120 XA and a 64-42 that should do the trick...some fresh (yellow?) tape and it should be good-to-go.

TA
I lasted all of two days myself!

Nice pick up.

Remember all of those grey Centaur bits I had hanging around Mark?

They are going on a frame in two weeks.
gomango is offline  
Old 01-05-11, 08:00 AM
  #10  
buldogge
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do tell Grady...

BTW, before the year ended, I assembled another Century Gruppo as well...I really need help!

Originally Posted by gomango View Post
I lasted all of two days myself!

Nice pick up.

Remember all of those grey Centaur bits I had hanging around Mark?

They are going on a frame in two weeks.
buldogge is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
RVARider
Road Cycling
27
09-15-15 05:38 AM
nicoth
Classic & Vintage
3
03-10-12 08:55 AM
Welwitschia
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
4
08-29-11 06:44 PM
jambrem
Classic & Vintage
11
10-01-10 10:49 AM
dnlpnd
Bicycle Mechanics
12
06-02-10 07:21 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.