Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1991 Specialized Epic Carbon Fiber

Old 02-01-11, 04:00 PM
  #1  
JeremyWF
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1991 Specialized Allez Epic Carbon Fiber

I was looking for a bike and found this bike for sale locally. I am new to cycling and was wondering if someone could give me an idea what it may be worth. It does come with the Shimano 105 group set and time pedals. I have done some research but still not sure what price to put on it. Thanks for any help.


Last edited by JeremyWF; 02-01-11 at 04:09 PM.
JeremyWF is offline  
Old 02-01-11, 05:24 PM
  #2  
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shady Pines Retirement Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 28,309

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 1,332 Times in 797 Posts
if the components are in great shape, I may offer $200 or 250 for it. a 20yo bonded carbonfibre frame could last for years or break next week.
__________________
One morning you wake up, the girl is gone, the bikes are gone, all that's left behind is a pair of old tires and a tube of tubular glue, all squeezed out"

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Bianchigirll is offline  
Old 02-01-11, 05:26 PM
  #3  
mulveyr 
Senior Member
 
mulveyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the wilds of NY
Posts: 1,572

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyWF View Post
I was looking for a bike and found this bike for sale locally. I am new to cycling and was wondering if someone could give me an idea what it may be worth. It does come with the Shimano 105 group set and time pedals. I have done some research but still not sure what price to put on it. Thanks for any help.

You might want to do some deeper research - the early Epics are reputed to have issues with the frames de-bonding. That would ruin your whole day, to put it mildly.
__________________
Knows the weight of my bike to the nearest 10 pounds.
mulveyr is offline  
Old 02-01-11, 08:16 PM
  #4  
JeremyWF
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your input. I did not know that. I appreciate the heads up.
JeremyWF is offline  
Old 02-01-11, 08:28 PM
  #5  
Frogbutter 
King of the Obscure
 
Frogbutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin. USA
Posts: 715

Bikes: It's a SICKNESS!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by mulveyr View Post
You might want to do some deeper research - the early Epics are reputed to have issues with the frames de-bonding. That would ruin your whole day, to put it mildly.
There is a reason Specialized only warranted the frames for 10 years. Really nice bikes just look at it real close.
__________________
Originally Posted by iab View Post
Why do you mock the cycling gods?

Your only hope is reciting 10 hail campagnolos to our lady of the duraace.


I'm happy to say that I own more Steel then Carbon. My Stable! ---> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVZBep7
Frogbutter is offline  
Old 02-02-11, 11:27 AM
  #6  
abarth
Я люблю суп
 
abarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is an email from Specialized to me regarding the Carbon Epic de-bonding issue:

We seem to get that question a lot. Because other company had similar designs to ours, and have had problems, it does not mean we have had issue with our design. I would continue ride your current bike knowing that there has never been a recall. If you do run into any issue regarding your bike, please keep in mind that your current frame is covered by a life time warranty.

Please feel free to contact me at the phone number and extension listed below if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,
Don
(877) 808-8154 Ext. 7740

If you want to know about the issue with Epic tubes separation read this thread.

So sick and tired of people passing misinformation around.
abarth is offline  
Old 02-02-11, 11:49 AM
  #7  
mulveyr 
Senior Member
 
mulveyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the wilds of NY
Posts: 1,572

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by abarth View Post
This is an email from Specialized to me regarding the Carbon Epic de-bonding issue:

We seem to get that question a lot. Because other company had similar designs to ours, and have had problems, it does not mean we have had issue with our design. I would continue ride your current bike knowing that there has never been a recall. If you do run into any issue regarding your bike, please keep in mind that your current frame is covered by a life time warranty.

Please feel free to contact me at the phone number and extension listed below if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,
Don
(877) 808-8154 Ext. 7740

If you want to know about the issue with Epic tubes separation read this thread.

So sick and tired of people passing misinformation around.

Did you notice they did not actually say "There has been no de-bonding issue with the Epic?" ;-)

In regarding to throwing around threads about de-bonding: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ber-Allez-Epic , posts 17+ are rather interesting.
__________________
Knows the weight of my bike to the nearest 10 pounds.

Last edited by mulveyr; 02-02-11 at 11:53 AM.
mulveyr is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Hoonigan
General Cycling Discussion
8
02-01-16 06:55 PM
ScaryPillow
General Cycling Discussion
15
04-11-15 12:42 PM
Alandalf
Road Cycling
3
01-17-13 09:32 AM
dooodstevenn
Road Cycling
8
01-12-13 09:56 AM
hamfoh
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
0
05-27-11 09:08 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.