Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Eddy Merckx i.d. challenge...

Old 06-09-11, 08:33 PM
  #1  
tugrul
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
tugrul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 2,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Eddy Merckx i.d. challenge...

Grainy photos from seller... what am I looking at?






Higher resolution should be linked in this gallery... I couldn't make out any detail on the fork crown or seat stay caps even with the original jpegs in my email.


The seller is going to take measurements tomorrow after work. I got the "I don't know nothing about bikes but somebody told me it's worth $1000" line, so I doubt it'll be disappearing all that quickly.
tugrul is offline  
Old 06-11-11, 10:21 AM
  #2  
Belg-Ital Steel 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NW Phoenix area
Posts: 265

Bikes: large herd that needs thinning

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hard to tell from the grainy pic. Recommend you have the seller send you a close-up pic of the underside of the BB where the SN is located. Then with these #s in hand, go to www.cadre.org and use the SN info to verify EM model and year.
Belg-Ital Steel is offline  
Old 06-11-11, 10:41 AM
  #3  
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shady Pines Retirement Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 28,301

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 793 Posts
it certainly looks interesting and judging from the HS, brake calipers and maybe crank started life with a Campi group but someone upgraded to ultegra brakelevers and drive train
__________________
One morning you wake up, the girl is gone, the bikes are gone, all that's left behind is a pair of old tires and a tube of tubular glue, all squeezed out"

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Bianchigirll is offline  
Old 06-11-11, 11:59 AM
  #4  
longbeachgary
Senior Member
 
longbeachgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Beautiful Long Beach California
Posts: 3,603

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Belg-Ital Steel View Post
Hard to tell from the grainy pic. Recommend you have the seller send you a close-up pic of the underside of the BB where the SN is located. Then with these #s in hand, go to www.cadre.org and use the SN info to verify EM model and year.
Very nice. Unique top tube cable routing - looks like internal. I'd like to see photos of the seat stay caps and the fork crown.

Oh, that's a big bike!!!
longbeachgary is offline  
Old 06-11-11, 12:37 PM
  #5  
tugrul
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
tugrul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 2,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The ad is gone, so I suppose somebody picked it up.

Figured I had more time at that price on this CL, but I guess not.

I'll keep that in mind for next time.
tugrul is offline  
Old 06-23-11, 12:43 PM
  #6  
tugrul
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
tugrul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 2,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Got stripped and put on eBay...

EDDY MERCKX vintage steel road bike frame - 63cm NICE



It was $600 OBO on CL.
tugrul is offline  
Old 06-23-11, 12:49 PM
  #7  
jet sanchEz
Senior Member
 
jet sanchEz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 8,801
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 299 Posts
Looks like a re-paint to me, someone tried to make their own team scheme.
jet sanchEz is offline  
Old 06-23-11, 01:00 PM
  #8  
bobbycorno
Senior Member
 
bobbycorno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz View Post
Looks like a re-paint to me, someone tried to make their own team scheme.
If it's the same one I'm watching, yeah, it's a repaint - and not a very good one. Hoping I can win it cheap...

SP
Bend, OR
bobbycorno is offline  
Old 06-23-11, 01:13 PM
  #9  
jet sanchEz
Senior Member
 
jet sanchEz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 8,801
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 299 Posts
I almost think that the internal cable routing is not original to the frame either.

I have two Merckx' with internal brake cable routing through the top tube and the holes are much further in from the head tube and seat tube, about 4 inches in. And the hole is much neater and narrower too, the hood is more ornate. Also, the front hole is at about 5 o'clock and the rear at 12 o'clock on both of mine while here, they are both at 3 o'clock. I would ask the seller if the holes are linked via a tube or if the housing itself is to provide the routing. If there is no internal tube within the top tube then definitely the internal tubing is not original (and who the heck knows how safe that might be).
jet sanchEz is offline  
Old 06-23-11, 01:57 PM
  #10  
bobbycorno
Senior Member
 
bobbycorno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz View Post
I almost think that the internal cable routing is not original to the frame either.

I have two Merckx' with internal brake cable routing through the top tube and the holes are much further in from the head tube and seat tube, about 4 inches in. And the hole is much neater and narrower too, the hood is more ornate. Also, the front hole is at about 5 o'clock and the rear at 12 o'clock on both of mine while here, they are both at 3 o'clock. I would ask the seller if the holes are linked via a tube or if the housing itself is to provide the routing. If there is no internal tube within the top tube then definitely the internal tubing is not original (and who the heck knows how safe that might be).
Not to mention how much rust there might be in there...

SP
Bend, OR
bobbycorno is offline  
Old 06-23-11, 06:21 PM
  #11  
longbeachgary
Senior Member
 
longbeachgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Beautiful Long Beach California
Posts: 3,603

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tugrul View Post
Got stripped and put on eBay...

EDDY MERCKX vintage steel road bike frame - 63cm NICE



It was $600 OBO on CL.
It may not reach $600. There is a limited market for 6 foot 5 bike riders. And it is definately a repaint and yeah, not a very good one.
longbeachgary is offline  
Old 06-27-11, 10:00 AM
  #12  
tugrul
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
tugrul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 2,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
It may not reach $600. There is a limited market for 6 foot 5 bike riders. And it is definately a repaint and yeah, not a very good one.
It didn't ($441).

However the $600 OBO was for a complete bike, with an assortment of parts, so depending on what he got it for he might still make some money if the fees don't kill him.
tugrul is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
robertofergy
Classic & Vintage
35
09-06-19 11:32 AM
nesteel
Classic & Vintage
5
12-28-14 06:27 PM
blue9
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
5
09-08-11 05:21 PM
23skidoo
Classic & Vintage
9
03-26-11 01:01 PM
robertofergy
Classic & Vintage
22
01-09-11 11:10 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.