Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

My friend just got in a wreck with my bike, CDI?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

My friend just got in a wreck with my bike, CDI?

Old 09-06-11, 10:00 AM
  #1  
jwstwd
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My friend just got in a wreck with my bike, CDI?

Hey guys, so I bought this road bike a little while ago.
As my friend was riding it he got hit by a car. He is ok, but basically the bike it totaled. I need to figure out what kind of bike it is/ how much its worth for insurance purposes..

The frame is confusing to me because it has CDI logos- which I have never heard of...
Other components include sun-tour, and Schwinn.

Does anyone know what this bike is and how much its worth??

Here are some pictures:
before https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/36/cdibike.jpg/
after https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/5/cimg2194m.jpg/
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/263/cimg2195z.jpg/
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/cimg2209g.jpg/
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52/cimg2208q.jpg/
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/cimg2207b.jpg/
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/cimg2204.jpg/
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84/cimg2203r.jpg/
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/89/cimg2202a.jpg/
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/cimg2201g.jpg/
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/714/cimg2200f.jpg/
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/638/cimg2199u.jpg/
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/155/cimg2197n.jpg/
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/cimg2196q.jpg/

Also if you need more info/pictures please let me know.
jwstwd is offline  
Old 09-06-11, 10:31 AM
  #2  
Peacob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 174

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like a low to midrange schwinn. Cottered cranks and lower end suntour components... Honestly, its not even worth dealing with the insurance company on this.. the bike was worth around 150 tops before the crash anyway.

Strip off anything in good condition and trash it and find something else.

Last edited by Peacob; 09-06-11 at 10:36 AM.
Peacob is offline  
Old 09-06-11, 10:38 AM
  #3  
Scooper
Decrepit Member
 
Scooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Rosa, California
Posts: 10,489

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 34 Posts
Is there a serial number or date code on the frame? Look at the rear dropouts, the bottom of the bottom bracket shell, and the head tube just above the lower bearing cup as likely locations.

Tips: When photographing a bike, a picture of the drive side is always more helpful than pictures of the non-drive side. Close-up detailed photos of the head tube lugs, the seat lug cluster, the BB shell, the dropouts, and the components are very helpful. Are the tires 27" or 700c? What is the seatpost diameter?

EDIT - Agree with Peacob after looking at more of the photos. It's probably a low end Schwinn with straight gauge (non-butted) hi-ten frame and fork. Looks like steel 27" rims. I wouldn't even bother with an insurance claim.
__________________
- Stan

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.

Last edited by Scooper; 09-06-11 at 10:44 AM.
Scooper is offline  
Old 09-06-11, 10:39 AM
  #4  
jwstwd
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres View Post
Do you have any documentation for what you bought it for?

And what a used bike is "worth" depends on the area of the country as well. San Francisco is quite a bit higher than in my hometown. Where do you reside?
hmm I don't have any documentation cause I bought it off craigslist...
I live in Fort Collins, CO where there is a large % of bikers- I'm not sure if that will be in my favor.
jwstwd is offline  
Old 09-06-11, 10:50 AM
  #5  
jwstwd
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peacob View Post
Looks like a low to midrange schwinn. Cottered cranks and lower end suntour components... Honestly, its not even worth dealing with the insurance company on this.. the bike was worth around 150 tops before the crash anyway.

Strip off anything in good condition and trash it and find something else.
ah dang.. well I bought the bike for about $130 so its not a huge loss I guess..
The front half of the bike is pretty messed up, so I could only salvage the rear components.
thanks for the info

Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
Is there a serial number or date code on the frame? Look at the rear dropouts, the bottom of the bottom bracket shell, and the head tube just above the lower bearing cup as likely locations.

Tips: When photographing a bike, a picture of the drive side is always more helpful than pictures of the non-drive side. Close-up detailed photos of the head tube lugs, the seat lug cluster, the BB shell, the dropouts, and the components are very helpful. Are the tires 27" or 700c? What is the seatpost diameter?
Here is a pic of the serial # https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/cimg2206e.jpg/
the seatpost dia is 1"
tires are 27"

thanks for the help
jwstwd is offline  
Old 09-06-11, 11:01 AM
  #6  
prathmann
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bay Area, Calif.
Posts: 7,239
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jwstwd View Post
Hey guys, so I bought this road bike a little while ago.
As my friend was riding it he got hit by a car. He is ok, but basically the bike it totaled. I need to figure out what kind of bike it is/ how much its worth for insurance purposes.
Are there any bike shops in your area that sell used bikes? If so I'd take a couple of your pictures around to them and have them give you a written estimate for what they'd charge you for a similar bike (incl. tax and any other fees). That should be sufficient for the insurance company and you can then either use the money to buy a bike from the shop that provided the estimate or shop around on Craigslist for a better deal.

In my experience insurance companies are pretty reasonable about giving decent value for the broken bike since they're more concerned about possible injury claims. Make sure your friend is really ok (sometimes injuries don't show up immediately) and if so then he'll probably have to sign a statement relinquishing any further claims against the insurance company.
prathmann is offline  
Old 09-06-11, 11:06 AM
  #7  
Peacob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 174

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann View Post
Are there any bike shops in your area that sell used bikes? If so I'd take a couple of your pictures around to them and have them give you a written estimate for what they'd charge you for a similar bike (incl. tax and any other fees). That should be sufficient for the insurance company and you can then either use the money to buy a bike from the shop that provided the estimate or shop around on Craigslist for a better deal.

In my experience insurance companies are pretty reasonable about giving decent value for the broken bike since they're more concerned about possible injury claims. Make sure your friend is really ok (sometimes injuries don't show up immediately) and if so then he'll probably have to sign a statement relinquishing any further claims against the insurance company.
But again, we're talking about a bike that was worth less than 150$ before the crash... The bike needs to be atleast worth $400 to even make an insurance claim worthwhile, in my opinion at least.
Peacob is offline  
Old 09-06-11, 11:26 AM
  #8  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,716
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by Peacob View Post
But again, we're talking about a bike that was worth less than 150$ before the crash... The bike needs to be atleast worth $400 to even make an insurance claim worthwhile, in my opinion at least.
that depends, if it's being paid for the by other driver's insurance all it costs him is a little of his time to get about $100 for his next CL purchase. For me I'd put the value at +/- 4 hours of my time as the break even point.
himespau is online now  
Old 09-06-11, 11:21 PM
  #9  
Zumkopf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 62

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX-10E, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1976 MKM, 1980 Holdsworth Mistral, 1984 Woodrup Giro Touring, 1985(?) Bianchi Stelvio, 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1989 Schwinn (Waterford) Paramount, 1994 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by himespau View Post
that depends, if it's being paid for the by other driver's insurance all it costs him is a little of his time to get about $100 for his next CL purchase. For me I'd put the value at +/- 4 hours of my time as the break even point.
Agree. The guy ought to at least buy you another bike, if he's at fault for wrecking yours.
Zumkopf is offline  
Old 09-07-11, 06:57 PM
  #10  
prathmann
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bay Area, Calif.
Posts: 7,239
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Peacob View Post
But again, we're talking about a bike that was worth less than 150$ before the crash... The bike needs to be atleast worth $400 to even make an insurance claim worthwhile, in my opinion at least.
The bike cost $130 on CraigsList. I'd guess that a bike shop selling used bikes would sell a similar model for considerably more than that. And I'd expect an insurance settlement from the driver to cover getting a used bike from an established business rather than put the burden on the crash victim to search for a particularly good deal on CraigsList.

And I really don't see the reason for saying it's only "worth it" if the claim is for over $400. One of my crashes only damaged my fork. I had to take it to a bike shop anyway to see what replacements were available. Having them fax an estimate to the driver's insurance company didn't cost me anything extra and may have taken a few minutes of my time. I figured that was worthwhile even though the total cost was only about $100.
prathmann is offline  
Old 09-07-11, 07:13 PM
  #11  
Zumkopf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 62

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX-10E, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1976 MKM, 1980 Holdsworth Mistral, 1984 Woodrup Giro Touring, 1985(?) Bianchi Stelvio, 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1989 Schwinn (Waterford) Paramount, 1994 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not sure how insurance measures in here. If the rider was hurt in a road collision, there already is an insurance claim, so you could find another one like the old one for sale at a bike shop (even over the internet), copy the ad, and send it to the insurance company with a note stating that this is the replacement cost of a comparable. If the rider wasn't hurt, I can't imagine the driver would want an insurance claim on his record over a $150 bike, so send him the same ad and the same demand.
Zumkopf is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Big Time
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
1
06-01-14 09:04 PM
EskimoCold
Classic & Vintage
5
06-20-13 05:49 AM
schujg25
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
1
08-17-12 10:50 PM
bobotech
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
11
02-28-12 01:30 AM
QNelson
Classic & Vintage
24
06-25-10 10:55 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.