Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1973 Black Schwinn Paramount 25 inch frame should I ...

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1973 Black Schwinn Paramount 25 inch frame should I ...

Old 09-07-11, 06:58 AM
  #1  
spotz
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1973 Black Schwinn Paramount 25 inch frame should I ...

Hello fellow bike people

First post on this forum other than my intro so here goes with a question or two. Have been walking past this bike each time I go in and out of the garage for the past 12 years as it hangs from it's hooks. So I have retired from working and I think I will get it down and look it over and I am thinking I need to sell it, try to restore it to original if it's not,( I don't know for I bought it used in 79) or upgrade it with newer components if that is even possible.

I don't know what a fellow runs into with thread sizes,pitches etc. I have other bikes with Indexed shifting and they are pretty sweet compared to the down tube shifters.

So I guess any guidance would be appreciated as to weather it is wise to start hacking on a bike this old or just keep it as is. Any and all opinions welcome.

Some pictures from when I had it down looking it over for those interested



pictures



thanks
Tom Morgan
Springfield, Mo.
spotz is offline  
Old 09-07-11, 11:11 AM
  #2  
SteveSGP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota- the frozen tundra
Posts: 1,947

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1976 Gitane Tour de France

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paramounts are highly sought after and can be quite valuable, I'm not an expert on them but that looks like it has a number of replacement parts on it which would lower it's value a bit but I think you still have a real gem there.
SteveSGP is offline  
Old 09-07-11, 12:32 PM
  #3  
Force 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 903
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If you are looking to sell it, sell it as is. It's a wonderful bike. The frame alone is pretty valuable. Since it already has some parts that are not original, and to maximize value, you could part it out.
Force is offline  
Old 09-07-11, 12:46 PM
  #4  
Zumkopf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 62

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX-10E, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1976 MKM, 1980 Holdsworth Mistral, 1984 Woodrup Giro Touring, 1985(?) Bianchi Stelvio, 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1989 Schwinn (Waterford) Paramount, 1994 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess I'd ask if you enjoyed riding it or not. If you did, and still want to ride, put some tires on it and ride. The Paramount is about as sweet as rides come, and the components on it should work fine, even though many of them are clearly not original. If you want to restore it as a project, you already have the most expensive parts, but the original brakes, seat, et al will not be cheap either. If you want to sell it, you'd get the highest return, I think, by parting it out. Like a lot of aficionados here, I cringe when sellers don't keep original bikes together, but yours has already been, well, un-originalized.
Zumkopf is offline  
Old 09-07-11, 02:16 PM
  #5  
spotz
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zumkopf, all, When I was putting the miles in it was my go to bike, the frame fit better than any thing else I had and was always their with little fuss. I bought it used and did not really know what was supposed to have been original, unless the previous owner stripped what was on it and put what is on it. I suppose the previous 6 years it's life a lot could have happened (73 to 79 when I acquired it). Finding a list of what should have been on it in the way of original equipment then finding the correct parts in a serviceable conditions might be a tall order.

As far as riding it as is, maybe around the block, but any distance the down tube shifters have to go. Is it even possible to retrofit a 38 year old bike with modern components, meaning fitment issues with threads and the like. Any specific sources for information like what should be on it. Is repainting a "vintage" bike a no no? Looking around I see new vinyl stickers are out their also some NOS transfers.

I see how this could turn into a money pit
spotz is offline  
Old 09-07-11, 05:13 PM
  #6  
SteveSGP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota- the frozen tundra
Posts: 1,947

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1976 Gitane Tour de France

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh God no, don't paint it.

From what I see in the pics it's gorgeous, very few vintage bikes are 100% perfect but bikes are only original once and that bike does NOT appear to need paint.
SteveSGP is offline  
Old 09-07-11, 05:51 PM
  #7  
Scooper
Decrepit Member
 
Scooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Rosa, California
Posts: 10,489

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 34 Posts
I agree; don't paint it. I would put it on the market just like it is, rotted hoods and all, and let the new owner make whatever changes he/she wants.

FWIW, it appears to be a P10-9 (eyelets on the dropouts and top tube braze-ons for the rear brake cable instead of three cable clips as on the P13-9). The P10-9 and P15-9 were similar and shared the same two-page catalog spread in the '73 Paramount catalog. The main differences are the P10-9 had a double chainring and Campy Nuovo Record RD, while the P15-9 had a triple chainring and a Shimano Crane long cage RD rebranded as a Schwinn-Approved Le Tour GT-300.

Here is the two page spread:



__________________
- Stan

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Scooper is offline  
Old 09-07-11, 06:52 PM
  #8  
spotz
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
I agree; don't paint it. I would put it on the market just like it is, rotted hoods and all, and let the new owner make whatever changes he/she wants.

FWIW, it appears to be a P10-9
Thanks for the info Scooper that's more than I knew before. Will do a bit more browsing and looking but me thinks this will turn into more of a chore than I had anticipated. I noticed in my Google'ing their is a fellow local that might be a subject matter expert and if I can run him down will try to visit with him a bit as the best way to pursue this as a project or a "for sale bike". I think his name is Bob Hufford. I guess it could hang for a bit longer like I say I have other bikes to ride.

Coming to terms with what it is worth as how much do I want to throw at it, a collector I am not but it is/was a fine riding bicycle, just old kinda like me tomorrow is my 62nd birthday , yipee for me
spotz is offline  
Old 09-07-11, 07:22 PM
  #9  
SteveSGP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota- the frozen tundra
Posts: 1,947

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1976 Gitane Tour de France

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a link to completed E-bay auctions.

https://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?rt=nc...=p3286.c0.m283
SteveSGP is offline  
Old 09-07-11, 08:02 PM
  #10  
Scooper
Decrepit Member
 
Scooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Rosa, California
Posts: 10,489

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by spotz View Post
Thanks for the info Scooper that's more than I knew before. Will do a bit more browsing and looking but me thinks this will turn into more of a chore than I had anticipated. I noticed in my Google'ing their is a fellow local that might be a subject matter expert and if I can run him down will try to visit with him a bit as the best way to pursue this as a project or a "for sale bike". I think his name is Bob Hufford. I guess it could hang for a bit longer like I say I have other bikes to ride.

Coming to terms with what it is worth as how much do I want to throw at it, a collector I am not but it is/was a fine riding bicycle, just old kinda like me tomorrow is my 62nd birthday , yipee for me
I've got seven years on you; I'm 69.

You can e-mail Bob Hufford (really good guy) at bhufford3@mchsi.com.
__________________
- Stan

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Scooper is offline  
Old 09-07-11, 09:39 PM
  #11  
Paramount1973 
Senior Member
 
Paramount1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The First State.
Posts: 1,165

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930,Trek 660, Novara X-R, Giant Iguana. Fuji Sagres mixte.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by spotz View Post
Zumkopf, all, When I was putting the miles in it was my go to bike, the frame fit better than any thing else I had and was always their with little fuss. I bought it used and did not really know what was supposed to have been original, unless the previous owner stripped what was on it and put what is on it. I suppose the previous 6 years it's life a lot could have happened (73 to 79 when I acquired it). Finding a list of what should have been on it in the way of original equipment then finding the correct parts in a serviceable conditions might be a tall order.

As far as riding it as is, maybe around the block, but any distance the down tube shifters have to go. Is it even possible to retrofit a 38 year old bike with modern components, meaning fitment issues with threads and the like. Any specific sources for information like what should be on it. Is repainting a "vintage" bike a no no? Looking around I see new vinyl stickers are out their also some NOS transfers.

I see how this could turn into a money pit
If you don't like the down-tube shifters you can fit it with bar-end friction shifters. I have a 1973 Paramount that I am fitting with randonneur bars and VO bar-end friction shifters. Rivendell has bar-end shifter pods that will take Campy downtube shift levers from the '70s.

The threads on the frame are still standard in that components are widely available, e.g. the bottom-bracket is a dog-standard English thread, the derailleur hanger thread has not changed, the seat-tube is 27.2mm and the headset is 1" threaded and takes a 22.2 stem. Lots of that stuff available.

Tom in Delaware
Paramount1973 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ronblankenship
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
31
12-24-17 06:26 PM
hjacobson
Classic and Vintage Sales
71
05-22-16 02:08 AM
vintagerando
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
7
12-09-15 08:17 PM
Dust44
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
47
03-02-15 10:16 PM
VicaDylaN
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
10
12-29-09 03:04 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.