Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

94 Merckx Pista Frameset... Worth??

Old 04-03-12, 06:09 AM
  #1  
majorhunadadun
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
94 Merckx Pista Frameset... Worth??

majorhunadadun is offline  
Old 04-03-12, 05:01 PM
  #2  
majorhunadadun
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody? Anybody??
majorhunadadun is offline  
Old 04-03-12, 05:23 PM
  #3  
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby
 
Poguemahone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Je suis ici
Posts: 5,321

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Your basic Merckx frame is a 400 dollar and up proposition. Figure in this is a track frame and add 200/300. Older track frames are rarer birds, so believe me, this may be low.

I've an older Serotta track frame, and I have recieved eleven unsolicited offers for it in the last year. I think the market for these very much is in the seller's favour.

Buying or selling?
__________________
"It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Poguemahone is offline  
Old 04-03-12, 07:46 PM
  #4  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,174
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by majorhunadadun View Post
How do you know it is a 1994?

Looks like a late 80s scheme.

Do you have a serial #?

I just sold a TSX Century frameset locally for four digits plus and these Pistas sell for a boatload of $$$.

A nice one is currently offered at $2,400 bin on ebay.

It's already at $900 with the reserve not being met.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 04-03-12, 08:09 PM
  #5  
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby
 
Poguemahone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Je suis ici
Posts: 5,321

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango View Post

I just sold a TSX Century frameset locally for four digits plus and these Pistas sell for a boatload of $$$.
Geez. Four digits on a tsx frameset? I may need to rethink that 10th anniversary I found.

Like I said, my estimate might be low. Track frames, at least older ones, are a seller's market. Hard to price.
__________________
"It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Poguemahone is offline  
Old 04-03-12, 10:24 PM
  #6  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,174
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Poguemahone View Post
Geez. Four digits on a tsx frameset? I may need to rethink that 10th anniversary I found.

Like I said, my estimate might be low. Track frames, at least older ones, are a seller's market. Hard to price.
I'll be honest.

I receive offers fairly often for my bikes.

Most are available if someone really wants them, and my frameset was nos when I bought it.

I put very few miles on that bike.

I set the frameset price high and a local party really wanted it.

End of story, especially with an MX Leader frameset due on two months.

Here is a sample Pista frameset.

Not an apples to apples comparison, but still:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EDDY-MERCKX-...item20c447f0db
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 04-03-12, 10:45 PM
  #7  
majorhunadadun
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Poguemahone View Post
Your basic Merckx frame is a 400 dollar and up proposition. Figure in this is a track frame and add 200/300. Older track frames are rarer birds, so believe me, this may be low.

I've an older Serotta track frame, and I have recieved eleven unsolicited offers for it in the last year. I think the market for these very much is in the seller's favour.

Buying or selling?
Thx for the response! Considering buying. He's asking 1500 for the frameset. Seems a bit high but it is in good shape... Sound high??
majorhunadadun is offline  
Old 04-03-12, 10:51 PM
  #8  
majorhunadadun
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
How do you know it is a 1994?

Looks like a late 80s scheme.

Do you have a serial #?

I just sold a TSX Century frameset locally for four digits plus and these Pistas sell for a boatload of $$$.

A nice one is currently offered at $2,400 bin on ebay.

It's already at $900 with the reserve not being met.

Thx for your response! The seller told me it was a '94. I thought it looked older too. He's asking 1500 for it. I'm gonna ask him for a serial #. Good call! Yes I saw that one on EBay for 2400. It's pretty scrumptious looking with that color scheme and chrome!
majorhunadadun is offline  
Old 04-04-12, 05:50 AM
  #9  
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby
 
Poguemahone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Je suis ici
Posts: 5,321

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
1500 seems high. Watch the end of the auction gomango posted. It should give you a better idea of the market, and it may not reach the seller's reserve. The auction ends today.

Again, older high end track frames are in a market of their own. Scarcity rules. Looking for one takes time.

Gomango may recieve regular offers on his bikes (he has nicer bikes I think), but I rarely do and was surprised at how people responded to my Serotta trackie. At the price your seller is asking, check the bike thoroughly.

One last note you may want to factor into my estimates is that I am notoriously cheap.
__________________
"It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Poguemahone is offline  
Old 04-04-12, 06:42 AM
  #10  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,174
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Poguemahone View Post
1500 seems high. Watch the end of the auction gomango posted. It should give you a better idea of the market, and it may not reach the seller's reserve. The auction ends today.

Again, older high end track frames are in a market of their own. Scarcity rules. Looking for one takes time.

Gomango may recieve regular offers on his bikes (he has nicer bikes I think), but I rarely do and was surprised at how people responded to my Serotta trackie. At the price your seller is asking, check the bike thoroughly.

One last note you may want to factor into my estimates is that I am notoriously cheap.
Do we even know what year Merckx this is ?

I would do more research before I'd shell out that kind of dough.

BTW I rarely post bicycles for sale. Word of mouth usually takes care of this locally.

...and the simple fact we are crawling with bikes in the Twin Cities.

Doesn't hurt our local/state economy is going gangbusters in certain segments and the biggest piece to the puzzle here is the high number of colleges/universities.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 04-04-12, 10:53 PM
  #11  
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby
 
Poguemahone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Je suis ici
Posts: 5,321

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
By some miracle, it looks like my estimate is at least pretty close, given the end of the auction gomango posted. However, I reiterate: High end older trackies are a seller's market. Some of the value may be contained in where you live, as well. Gomango lives in a hotter bike market than me, for instance. Here (Richmond, Virginia) the bike market is hot up until you hit about $200. Anything above that is a difficult sell. There's no way I would get four figures for a vintage Merckx frame here.

The seller likely knows this. I think the price is high, regardless of the vintage. And even if you're shelling out the 700 or more I estimated the bike at, you still need to check it thorough. I would argue on a trackie, condition is more important than vintage in this case. We're talking the seller maybe being ten years off, but the value is in that it is a trackie, not the age of the bike I would argue. And the seller may have a minimum he will sell the bike for, knowing it would be hard to replace-- a minimum that is seperate from any market value.

Don't get me wrong, I think knowing the vintage is important info. It won't hurt to know it. May help. The decals do appear to be earlier. But assess the bike-- down to frame alignment, if you can. At that price, you need to know.
__________________
"It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Poguemahone is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Spaghetti Legs
Classic & Vintage
3
09-21-19 05:41 AM
paramount
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
3
08-14-18 03:39 PM
mxs
Classic & Vintage
2
12-31-11 03:41 AM
maym036
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
6
10-26-10 02:09 PM
cpsqlrwn
Classic & Vintage
32
10-08-10 01:43 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.