Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Is an '87 Schwinn Traveler worth $125?

Old 06-14-12, 07:46 AM
  #1  
zachh
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is an '87 Schwinn Traveler worth $125?

Below is the ad for the bike and the link to the ad which has the picture on it.

Excellent original condition with new tires. 21" frame with a stand-over height of 31 ".

https://images.craigslist.org/5Gb5K55...6ed5371549.jpg
zachh is offline  
Old 06-14-12, 07:47 AM
  #2  
zachh
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or how about this for $50?
Early 70's schwinn 27" ten speed. New cables, HB tape, seat and break pads.
zachh is offline  
Old 06-14-12, 07:55 AM
  #3  
sfotex
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The first one is much higher quality then then then the 2nd one. $125 wouldn't be bad if you just want something to commute on, etc.

Last edited by sfotex; 06-14-12 at 01:43 PM.
sfotex is offline  
Old 06-14-12, 08:10 AM
  #4  
sportridertex
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver,Washington
Posts: 228

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale SR500,TREK Mendota 2011

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The frame sizes are so different, do you know what size of bike fits you? Either one looks like a good bike, but if they don't fit, they don't fit....
sportridertex is offline  
Old 06-14-12, 08:12 AM
  #5  
wrk101
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 23,142

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 429 Posts
+1 Dramatically different sizes there.

+1 That second bike is a turd. The first one is pretty decent for the price. Got to love the "new cables". Oh yeah, just one problem, guy lost the Schwinn cable stops, so the rear brake cable is just looped through.
wrk101 is offline  
Old 06-14-12, 08:53 AM
  #6  
zachh
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
+1 Dramatically different sizes there.

+1 That second bike is a turd. The first one is pretty decent for the price. Got to love the "new cables". Oh yeah, just one problem, guy lost the Schwinn cable stops, so the rear brake cable is just looped through.
I'm about 5' 9"-5' 10" would either of these bikes work? and is the fact that the rear brake cable is looped through going to cause any problems?
zachh is offline  
Old 06-14-12, 09:18 AM
  #7  
atmdad
Oh Snap, not again...
 
atmdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cardiff, Ca
Posts: 608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your about my height, the first one, 21" frame should be a good starting point. The second one, 27" frame, umm, maybe if you like to ride while wearing a cup.

The rear brake cable looped, ehhh, shouldn't be a deal breaker, more aestheitcs, might lose a little grab on the rear brake but the majority of your stopping power comes from the front.
atmdad is offline  
Old 06-14-12, 09:29 AM
  #8  
zachh
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atmdad View Post
Your about my height, the first one, 21" frame should be a good starting point. The second one, 27" frame, umm, maybe if you like to ride while wearing a cup.

The rear brake cable looped, ehhh, shouldn't be a deal breaker, more aestheitcs, might lose a little grab on the rear brake but the majority of your stopping power comes from the front.
thanks a lot! That's very helpful. Would it be ridiculous for me to offer $100 for it or is that still a fair price?
zachh is offline  
Old 06-14-12, 10:18 AM
  #9  
atmdad
Oh Snap, not again...
 
atmdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cardiff, Ca
Posts: 608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not ridiculous IMO, it's Craigslist afterall, you are supposed to haggle a bit. For someone looking to flip it they won't make anything off it, but you sound like someone looking for something to use/ride so I would say it is a "Fair" price. Although, I would actually offer $80 as a starting point and see what the seller might counter with. If they come back at $100 everyone is happy. Quick tip, only negotiate face-to-face, the only thing you say over the phone/email is "I am interested in the Bike when/where can I take a look at", or something along those lines.

Just my opinion even at $125 that is probably a much better bike than you would get spending the same $125 on something brand new at the big box stores, doubt you would find an entire bike for $125 at a LBS.

Last edited by atmdad; 06-14-12 at 10:26 AM.
atmdad is offline  
Old 06-14-12, 11:44 AM
  #10  
zachh
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atmdad View Post
Not ridiculous IMO, it's Craigslist afterall, you are supposed to haggle a bit. For someone looking to flip it they won't make anything off it, but you sound like someone looking for something to use/ride so I would say it is a "Fair" price. Although, I would actually offer $80 as a starting point and see what the seller might counter with. If they come back at $100 everyone is happy. Quick tip, only negotiate face-to-face, the only thing you say over the phone/email is "I am interested in the Bike when/where can I take a look at", or something along those lines.

Just my opinion even at $125 that is probably a much better bike than you would get spending the same $125 on something brand new at the big box stores, doubt you would find an entire bike for $125 at a LBS.

Thanks for the advice!I learned a lot in just a couple posts
zachh is offline  
Old 06-14-12, 01:24 PM
  #11  
robtown
Muscle bike design spec
 
robtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sterling VA
Posts: 3,688

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The first bike at $125 is a good price - if it fits you. I sold an 85 that was slightly different (stem shifters) with new tires for $150 last week. Of course, rural areas a better price might be $100; in NYC it could be $200.
__________________
Korval is Ships
See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page
robtown is offline  
Old 06-14-12, 08:21 PM
  #12  
bobjpage
Senior Member
 
bobjpage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Traveler looks pretty good.
bobjpage is offline  
Old 06-15-12, 03:48 AM
  #13  
jjames1452 
Senior Member
 
jjames1452's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 1,369

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 38 Posts
I rode a Traveler for 25 years, indluding a TOSRV (200 miles in 2 days) on it. I loved it. This one is later and lighter than my old bike.
jjames1452 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
CharlieC
Fitting Your Bike
6
12-02-15 08:47 PM
MasterDwarf
Road Cycling
20
08-25-15 09:34 AM
Voere
Classic & Vintage
6
10-27-14 10:47 AM
ricortes
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
4
10-07-13 09:10 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.