Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1995 Slingshot Road Bike

Old 12-27-12, 02:52 PM
  #1  
bikie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1995 Slingshot Road Bike

Hi,

Does anyone know what this bike with everything else might be worth?

There are no dents, just minor scratches on the frame. The date stamp on the bottom of the frame is 7-22-95-1. The bike’s frame size is 55cm and it is set up for 700cc. The Seat angle - 73 DEG; head angle - 72 DEG; top-tube length - 53 CM; head tube length - 12.7 CM; bottom bracket height - 310 MM; chainstay length - 420 MM. Three sets of rims and tires - Rims: 1. MAVIC Reflex (front & rear) Never used! 2. Araya front and Sun rear. 3. SATURNE HT-C21 (Clinchers) (front & rear) Never used! with hand built spokes; Tires: Continental sport (front & rear), LHR (front & rear), & Vittoria Kevlar 3D Compound Clinchers (front & rear) Never used but old! Rear derailleur: Shimano 105; Front derailleur: Shimano 105; Headset: Shimano 105; Brakes: Shimano 105 STI Fork: EMS Composite; Handlebar: DIA-COMPE; Shifters: Shimano 600; Pedals: plastic - cheap; Crankset: Shimano 600; Cassette: Shimano 600; Hubset: Shimano 600; Seatpost: Titec; Stem: Salsa Ahead; Approx. weight: 22 lbs.; Frame material: 4130 Chromoly. *Notice the three (3) sets of rims and tires including the pair of Clinchers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00167.jpg (94.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00193.jpg (100.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00169.jpg (97.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00181.jpg (104.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00190.jpg (100.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00192.jpg (100.7 KB, 38 views)
bikie is offline  
Old 12-27-12, 03:49 PM
  #2  
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium
 
thinktubes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Across the street from Chicago
Posts: 5,475

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 392 Posts
Wow, haven't seen one of these since....1995. Interesting design, but never caught on.

first, sell all the extras seperately - you'll just be giving them away if you include them with the bike.

Hate to say it, but a part-out would be the way to go here. Small frame, (very) limited audience, and low-endish tubing will hold the price down.

I'm sure you could get over $600 as a partout, probably less than $300 if sold together.
thinktubes is offline  
Old 12-27-12, 05:17 PM
  #3  
bikie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes View Post
Wow, haven't seen one of these since....1995. Interesting design, but never caught on.

first, sell all the extras seperately - you'll just be giving them away if you include them with the bike.

Hate to say it, but a part-out would be the way to go here. Small frame, (very) limited audience, and low-endish tubing will hold the price down.

I'm sure you could get over $600 as a partout, probably less than $300 if sold together.
Thank you, that's a lot more work - parting out... and once again, I don't know how much all the separate partouts would sell for or who would be interested in buying them or where to sell them??
bikie is offline  
Old 12-27-12, 05:20 PM
  #4  
TiHabanero
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,360
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 272 Posts
Those were built right here in Grand Rapids, MI. Used to know those guys. Their first "sales rep" lived 2 doors down from me as well. The bikes are not for heavier riders, that is certain, and even with a 150lb rider they are flexible flyers. Hammering corners is interesting, but once adapted to, no big deal. There is a cult following for the bikes, do some research and price accordingly. Part out may provide the highest source of revenue.
TiHabanero is offline  
Old 12-27-12, 05:22 PM
  #5  
FastJake
Constant tinkerer
 
FastJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 7,859
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 43 Posts
You could get rid of the wheels and tires easily enough on craigslist. List them all in one ad, and let potential sellers pick and choose (list prices for each item.) They look like they might be pretty nice wheels that you could get more money for on ebay, but then you need a good seller reputation and be willing to ship.

How did you measure 55cm out of that frame? Looks way smaller than that.
FastJake is offline  
Old 12-27-12, 05:26 PM
  #6  
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium
 
thinktubes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Across the street from Chicago
Posts: 5,475

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by bikie View Post
Thank you, that's a lot more work - parting out... and once again, I don't know how much all the separate partouts would sell for or who would be interested in buying them or where to sell them??
Ebay is the way to go here. This bike would be a very tough sell on Craigslist.

Rough breakdown on parts:

Wheelsets: $100-150 each.
Fork: $100
Frame: $150-175
Tires: $30-40
105 bits: $125
600 bits: $50-75
The rest: $50-75
thinktubes is offline  
Old 12-27-12, 05:29 PM
  #7  
wrk101
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 22,599

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 239 Posts
Part out = sell on ebay. Its your choice, sell complete for 1/2 the money, or part out via ebay, with all the associated headaches and fees that come with ebay.

Its more work, that's one reason it brings more money. In addition, selling the bike complete for $300 could be a lot of work and take a lot of time to find a buyer (depends on your location). The beauty of ebay is in 7 days, everything is gone (unless you start the auctions at some crazy high price and don't get any bids).
__________________
See my vintage steel bike tribute page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BillsVintageSteelBikes

Last edited by wrk101; 12-27-12 at 05:48 PM.
wrk101 is offline  
Old 12-27-12, 06:11 PM
  #8  
bikie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake View Post
You could get rid of the wheels and tires easily enough on craigslist. List them all in one ad, and let potential sellers pick and choose (list prices for each item.) They look like they might be pretty nice wheels that you could get more money for on ebay, but then you need a good seller reputation and be willing to ship.

How did you measure 55cm out of that frame? Looks way smaller than that.
Yes, I made a mistake and measured wrong... the correct measurement is 48cm (from the bottom of crank bracket to the top of seat tube) Thanks
bikie is offline  
Old 12-27-12, 09:24 PM
  #9  
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shady Pines Retirement Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 27,338

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 460 Posts
I might be interested in a set of the tubular wheels depending on the hubs
__________________
Bianchis '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, '93 Reparto Corse SBX

Others but still loved; '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape SLX Bertoni "Speckled Trout"
Bianchigirll is offline  
Old 12-28-12, 08:00 AM
  #10  
Trakhak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,587
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 534 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by bikie View Post
Yes, I made a mistake and measured wrong... the correct measurement is 48cm (from the bottom of crank bracket to the top of seat tube) Thanks
That's a tricky frame to measure, given the sloping top tube, etc. To get a useful ball-park frame size figure, measure the length of the head tube and the effective horizontal top tube length (center of head tube to center of seat tube, measured horizontally) and then look at frame geometries of road bikes (see, e.g., https://motobecane.com/rdti/#geo). The equivalent frame size might be around 51 or 53 cm.
Trakhak is offline  
Old 12-28-12, 10:04 PM
  #11  
bikie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, so I got it disassembled, not an easy task. I thought of a few questions to ask before I do ebay... not sure what gets sold together or apart. For example, do the front a back derailleurs get sold separately or together and likewise, do the front a back brakes get sold separately or together as a pair? Are the brakes cables included in the sell with the brakes? Also, do the spocket rings get included with the crank or are they sold separately since they can be detached? The Aero-bars and seat and post are worth $50 each or so, right? Sorry, I've never parted out a bike before so it's all new to me and I haven't a clue.
bikie is offline  
Old 12-29-12, 01:40 PM
  #12  
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium
 
thinktubes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Across the street from Chicago
Posts: 5,475

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 392 Posts
Derailleurs: Separate
Brake Calipers: Together (no cables)
Crankset: With chainrings (include crankbolts)
Seatpost: separate
Aerobars: separate
Pedals: as a pair
Headset: separate
BB: separate
Seat: separate
Wheelsets: as a pair
Tires: separate (but mention in the auction text that you have another for sale)
Stem: separate
Shifters: as a pair
Brake Levers: as a pair
thinktubes is offline  
Old 12-29-12, 09:15 PM
  #13  
bikie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes View Post
Derailleurs: Separate
Brake Calipers: Together (no cables)
Crankset: With chainrings (include crankbolts)
Seatpost: separate
Aerobars: separate
Pedals: as a pair
Headset: separate
BB: separate
Seat: separate
Wheelsets: as a pair
Tires: separate (but mention in the auction text that you have another for sale)
Stem: separate
Shifters: as a pair
Brake Levers: as a pair
Thanks for all your help and info... would you mind looking at the prices below and seeing if they're right and if not adjust them accordingly?

Frame: $150–175
Fork: EMS Composite: $100
Wheelsets: $100–150 each
Derailleurs: Shimano 105: Separate – $125 each
Brake Calipers: Together (no cables) – Shimano 105 – $125
Crankset: With chainrings (include crankbolts) - Shimano 600 - $50 - $75
Seatpost: Titec: separate – $50
Aerobars: separate – $50
Pedals: as a pair (NO PEDALS)
Headset: Shimano 105: separate – $50
BB: Shimano H/C: separate – $50
Seat: Vetta: separate – $50
Tires: separate (so take them off the wheels and sell for $30 each?) – $30
Stem: Salsa: separate – $30
Shifters: Shimano 600: as a pair – $50
Brake Levers: DIA Campe Alloy: as a pair – $30
bikie is offline  
Old 12-29-12, 10:30 PM
  #14  
FastJake
Constant tinkerer
 
FastJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 7,859
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 43 Posts
Do not separate the frame from the fork. Sell the frame/fork/headset as one unit. People (me, and others I'm sure) hate buying a frame without a fork.

Originally Posted by bikie View Post
Thanks for all your help and info... would you mind looking at the prices below and seeing if they're right and if not adjust them accordingly?

Frame: $150–175
Fork: EMS Composite: $100
Wheelsets: $100–150 each
Derailleurs: Shimano 105: Separate – $125 each
Brake Calipers: Together (no cables) – Shimano 105 – $125
Crankset: With chainrings (include crankbolts) - Shimano 600 - $50 - $75
Seatpost: Titec: separate – $50
Aerobars: separate – $50
Pedals: as a pair (NO PEDALS)
Headset: Shimano 105: separate – $50
BB: Shimano H/C: separate – $50
Seat: Vetta: separate – $50
Tires: separate (so take them off the wheels and sell for $30 each?) – $30
Stem: Salsa: separate – $30
Shifters: Shimano 600: as a pair – $50
Brake Levers: DIA Campe Alloy: as a pair – $30
- Shimano 105 derailers should go for maybe $25 each if you're lucky, $125 is way out of the ballpark. Same goes for the 105 brake calipers.
- Crankset: I think $50 for the crank is a bit optimistic, but not unreasonable.
- Seatpost: leave it on the bike or expect to get about $10 for it separate.
- Bottom bracket: maybe $30
- Tires: sell the tires in pairs, or leave them on if they're tubulars.
- Stem: $20 max
- Shifters: maybe $20-30
FastJake is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
kunsunoke
Classic and Vintage Sales
9
09-18-16 11:17 AM
puppetnonsense
Road Cycling
15
08-05-14 06:26 AM
Digibop
General Cycling Discussion
1
02-26-12 02:16 AM
henrymiller
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
1
09-06-10 08:21 PM
mkwdrs
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
3
09-01-10 07:53 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.