Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Katakura

Old 03-21-13, 08:11 PM
  #1  
67tony
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
67tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Williamsburg, VA Sebastian, FL
Posts: 967

Bikes: 1985 Shogun 500, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Katakura

Don't know much about it, except that it has some pretty cool attachments!
It might be a Katakura Silk Alpha?

Any ideas about it's era, quality, or worth?

Attached Images
67tony is offline  
Old 03-21-13, 08:29 PM
  #2  
oddjob2
Still learning
 
oddjob2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North of Canada, Adirondacks, NNJ
Posts: 11,570

Bikes: Too many

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looks like it has that weird shimano ffs crank system. If true, stay away, they are a Pita.
oddjob2 is offline  
Old 03-22-13, 02:18 AM
  #3  
randyjawa 
Senior Member
 
randyjawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada - burrrrr!
Posts: 9,038

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 1969 Atala Professional, 1970 Torpado Luxe, 1973 Peugeot PX10E, 1978 Norco Magnum SE, 1982 Bianchi Touring, 2000 Cyclops

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The bike looks to be mid to late seventies and of entry level quality. The bike will be quite heavy, for a road bicycle, and less than user friendly, in my opinion. None the less, it can prove to be a fun recreational ride, but little more.

Value would be minimal, depending on condition and location. Personally, I would not want the bike and frequently give such bikes away to a local non-profit organization. If you really like the bike and it is in excellent condition, $50.00 would be the most I would pay, however; were I you, I would keep looking for something that offers better Vintage Bicycle Quality.
__________________
Learn how to find, restore and maintain vintage road bicycles at... MY "TEN SPEEDS"
randyjawa is offline  
Old 03-22-13, 06:36 AM
  #4  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,556
Mentioned: 410 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2378 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
The subject bicycle appears to be a early 1970s. entry level model. The most interesting feature is the rear derailleur which appears to be the relatively rare SunTour Skitter, This was SunTour's bottom of the line derailleur but rarely spec'd, at least in North America. It goes back to the mid-1960s but I don't think the bicycle is that old due to the presence of the chainring mounted guard and brake safety levers, which became popular during the boom. BTW, I don't think that is an FFS crankset. The frame is almost certainly hi-tensile steel. If this is your bicycle or if you have the serial number, I should be able to tell you the exact age, having decoded the Katakura serial number format as part of my Nishiki Serial Number Database study.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 03-22-13, 04:49 PM
  #5  
Chombi 
Senior Member
 
Chombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,139

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 that the crankset is most likely not an FFS, The FFS cranks I've encountered through the years, I think, had aluminum crank arms and did not have cotters on it and had a one piece aluminum spider/chainring/chainring guard..........unless, the one on this bike is an older iteration of the system.....
Chombi is offline  
Old 03-22-13, 09:08 PM
  #6  
67tony
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
67tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Williamsburg, VA Sebastian, FL
Posts: 967

Bikes: 1985 Shogun 500, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, everybody, for the replies. I have not yet examined the bike, since it's a CL ad in a city that I'll be visiting soon...Norfolk, VA. I was attracted to the decent-looking racks, fenders, and generator system, but at 200 clams my interest has waned!

T-Mar, great catch on the SunTour Skitter RD, if I look at the bike I'll try to verify that. Also, thanks for offering to interpret the serial number.

Here are the other pics from the ad:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2.jpg (1.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg
3.jpg (1.2 KB, 73 views)
67tony is offline  
Old 03-23-13, 03:31 AM
  #7  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,556
Mentioned: 410 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2378 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi View Post
+1 that the crankset is most likely not an FFS, The FFS cranks I've encountered through the years, I think, had aluminum crank arms and did not have cotters on it and had a one piece aluminum spider/chainring/chainring guard..........unless, the one on this bike is an older iteration of the system.....
The FFS, came in numerous versions including cottered and Astabula style. Regardless, I still don't think it's an FFS. The picture resolution isn't good enough for a postitve identification but it looks like it may be a Sinko 66.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 04-09-19, 08:36 AM
  #8  
Zbridgman
Katakura
 
Zbridgman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 9

Bikes: 1970’ish Katakura Silk. 1968 Columbia twosome.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About the Katakura.

Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
The FFS, came in numerous versions including cottered and Astabula style. Regardless, I still don't think it's an FFS. The picture resolution isn't good enough for a postitve identification but it looks like it may be a Sinko 66.
i bel
Zbridgman is offline  
Old 04-09-19, 08:38 AM
  #9  
Zbridgman
Katakura
 
Zbridgman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 9

Bikes: 1970’ish Katakura Silk. 1968 Columbia twosome.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Katakura.

Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
The subject bicycle appears to be a early 1970s. entry level model. The most interesting feature is the rear derailleur which appears to be the relatively rare SunTour Skitter, This was SunTour's bottom of the line derailleur but rarely spec'd, at least in North America. It goes back to the mid-1960s but I don't think the bicycle is that old due to the presence of the chainring mounted guard and brake safety levers, which became popular during the boom. BTW, I don't think that is an FFS crankset. The frame is almost certainly hi-tensile steel. If this is your bicycle or if you have the serial number, I should be able to tell you the exact age, having decoded the Katakura serial number format as part of my Nishiki Serial Number Database study.
Please give us the decoder!!! I have a Katakura Silk that has parts that pre-date 1968. Any information would be amazing!!
Zbridgman is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.