Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Mystery racer

Old 05-23-13, 03:26 PM
  #1  
Andreas93
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mystery racer

Hi guys, and thank you for this wonderful forum! Now I just acquired this lovely bike. It's Columbus Aelle, and ind pretty great shape. I would really like to know what, if any, brand this bike could be. The "Bødker" sticker is just from a local dealer. So if anyone can recognize anything, please write! The gruppo is Shimano 105, works perfectly.

I would also love to know how much this bike could fetch, if I'll sell it later on. But this is mostly just for fun, since I'm living on the other side of the pond - but I would still like to hear your guesses! Now to the pictures. And just FYI, I paid about $170 for it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0943.jpg (88.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0941.jpg (95.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0940.jpg (90.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0938.jpg (88.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0937.jpg (94.1 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Andreas93; 05-24-13 at 03:23 AM.
Andreas93 is offline  
Old 05-23-13, 04:19 PM
  #2  
FastJake
Constant tinkerer
 
FastJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 7,640
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only one of your attachments worked for me. Can you try reposting the pictures?
FastJake is offline  
Old 05-24-13, 03:19 AM
  #3  
Andreas93
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had not seen that! I'll fix it right away!
Andreas93 is offline  
Old 05-24-13, 04:32 AM
  #4  
randyjawa 
Senior Member
 
randyjawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada - burrrrr!
Posts: 9,138

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, Rocky Mountain Cardiac

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I have no idea what make the bicycle is, but you can determine its vintage by applying the information contained in How Old Is My Bicycle?, paying closest attention to Component Numbers. As for value...

You can learn a bit about Vintage Bicycle Value, if you wish. That said, the price you paid for the bicycle is very good, in my opinion. As it sits, you might easily double your money, depending on market strength, in your area, and assuming that you market the bicycle well.

Hope that is a help. Welcome to the Bike Forums and good luck with your bike.
__________________
Learn how to find, restore and maintain vintage road bicycles at... MY "TEN SPEEDS"
randyjawa is online now  
Old 05-24-13, 05:09 AM
  #5  
Andreas93
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa View Post
I have no idea what make the bicycle is, but you can determine its vintage by applying the information contained in How Old Is My Bicycle?, paying closest attention to Component Numbers. As for value...

You can learn a bit about Vintage Bicycle Value, if you wish. That said, the price you paid for the bicycle is very good, in my opinion. As it sits, you might easily double your money, depending on market strength, in your area, and assuming that you market the bicycle well.

Hope that is a help. Welcome to the Bike Forums and good luck with your bike.
Thank you for answering! I have already flipped quite a lot of bikes, so I hope I know my local market - and it is pretty damn crazy! And thank you for the link to the other thread, I'll definitely check it out!

Money wise, I will probably get somewhere from 450-550, depending on my luck (and the weather).
Andreas93 is offline  
Old 05-24-13, 06:02 AM
  #6  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,816
Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 57 Times in 53 Posts
That's a post 1987 Aelle decal and the group is Shimano 105SC which came out in 1990. It's downtube shifters, as opposed to STI and that appears to be the 7 speed, RD-1055 rear derailleur, as opposed to the later, 8 speed, RD-1056 version, so that should make it 1990-1992.

By this time most large volume and prestige manufacturers were embossing their names and symbols on frames. The lack of embossing and features like straight edged flanges on the shell suggest that this was contract built to a price point for a private label brand. Consequently, those Bodker decals may be original and the shop may be able to tell you who made it.

Given that it is Aelle tubing, there is a good chance that it is Italian. It appears to have a cartridge bottom bracket, so the easiest way tell if it is Italian, would be via a 70mm shell width. Are there any stampings on the BB shell that might provide a clue to the manufacturer?
T-Mar is offline  
Old 05-24-13, 07:23 AM
  #7  
Andreas93
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
That's a post 1987 Aelle decal and the group is Shimano 105SC which came out in 1990. It's downtube shifters, as opposed to STI and that appears to be the 7 speed, RD-1055 rear derailleur, as opposed to the later, 8 speed, RD-1056 version, so that should make it 1990-1992.

By this time most large volume and prestige manufacturers were embossing their names and symbols on frames. The lack of embossing and features like straight edged flanges on the shell suggest that this was contract built to a price point for a private label brand. Consequently, those Bodker decals may be original and the shop may be able to tell you who made it.

Given that it is Aelle tubing, there is a good chance that it is Italian. It appears to have a cartridge bottom bracket, so the easiest way tell if it is Italian, would be via a 70mm shell width. Are there any stampings on the BB shell that might provide a clue to the manufacturer?
T-Mar, you are an infinite pool of bicycle wisdom! The rear derailleur is 7 speed. The shop it came from is unfortunately long gone, so I can't ask them. Funny you should ask about the BB. Because it actually has a stamp, that I just checked. It says Vitus! Now I don't know much about that brand, but Google claims that it is French.
Andreas93 is offline  
Old 05-24-13, 07:24 AM
  #8  
Ivanrf1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool bike!
Ivanrf1 is offline  
Old 05-24-13, 07:30 AM
  #9  
Andreas93
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivanrf1 View Post
Cool bike!
Very! I really would love to keep it, because of it's look and condition, but it is unfortunately too big for me - it's 56, and I am more of a 54 kind of guy :-)
Andreas93 is offline  
Old 05-24-13, 11:05 AM
  #10  
FastJake
Constant tinkerer
 
FastJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 7,640
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So does it have a 70mm shell? Is it an Italian BB or not?
FastJake is offline  
Old 05-24-13, 12:41 PM
  #11  
Andreas93
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake View Post
So does it have a 70mm shell? Is it an Italian BB or not?
Yop, 70mm!
Andreas93 is offline  
Old 05-24-13, 12:58 PM
  #12  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,816
Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 57 Times in 53 Posts
Well, at least we know it's almost certainly of Italian origin.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 05-24-13, 10:08 PM
  #13  
zukahn1
Senior Member
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 7,249

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Don't know much but it is fairly high end late 80's very nice bike.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 05-25-13, 05:41 AM
  #14  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,816
Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 57 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1 View Post
Don't know much but it is fairly high end late 80's very nice bike.
It's more like a very early 1990s, low mid-range model.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 05-25-13, 11:28 AM
  #15  
FastJake
Constant tinkerer
 
FastJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 7,640
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 Mid-level, early 1990s.

Originally Posted by Andreas93 View Post
Money wise, I will probably get somewhere from 450-550, depending on my luck (and the weather).
I could not get anywhere near that here, but if your market is that high go for it.

BTW the rear derailer cable and housing should to be replaced. The cable is looking rusty and the housing has fallen out of the end. Based on that, it definitely needs to be inspected and given an overhaul (bearings greased, new cables, etc.)
FastJake is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
YeA SpecialiZed
Classic & Vintage
9
04-28-14 09:59 AM
phobrek
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
7
04-06-12 06:22 AM
LowCel
Road Cycling
6
03-14-07 12:09 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.