Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

peugeot road bike identification

Old 06-27-13, 12:14 PM
  #1  
ifjeepmadeabike
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
peugeot road bike identification

I can't figure it out. How can I identify what model this is?



https://postimg.org/image/419gsp8c3/ef5623a3/
ifjeepmadeabike is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 01:14 PM
  #2  
ifjeepmadeabike
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've still got the original derailleur. It's a simplex something. Screw was missing for it. I've found a lot of px-10's but the badge on the front fork is wrong. Are these valuable at all?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0672.jpg (98.4 KB, 17 views)
ifjeepmadeabike is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 02:53 PM
  #3  
oddjob2
Still learning
 
oddjob2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North of Canada, Adirondacks
Posts: 11,614

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ifjeepmadeabike View Post
I've still got the original derailleur. It's a simplex something. Screw was missing for it. I've found a lot of px-10's but the badge on the front fork is wrong. Are these valuable at all?
What do you mean the front fork badge is wrong? Is there a similar badge on the frame itself?
oddjob2 is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 03:01 PM
  #4  
ifjeepmadeabike
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2 View Post
What do you mean the front fork badge is wrong? Is there a similar badge on the frame itself?
It's missing on the frame. From what I'm gathering it's a px-60 not a px-10. Not sure what to do from here though. Anyone have an idea to value?
ifjeepmadeabike is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 04:34 PM
  #5  
wrk101
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 22,599

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 231 Posts
1. Where are you located?

2. What method/venue do you plan to use for selling?

3. If ebay, what experience do you have as a seller, and are you willing and able to carefully package and ship at a reasonable cost? ebay is the land of variance, one bike goes way high, the next one goes low, another goes just about as expected. Some of it is marketing, some is just luck (it takes two bidders that have to have your bike to drive the price up).

Good money for sure. Replacement rear derailleur is a nasty distraction/wart on the bike, that should be replaced with the original prior to marketing.

Your ability to market, whether a local sale or ebay, will determine about half of the value you do get. Many valuable/worthy bikes sell for well under market due to the seller's insufficient marketing effort.

Personally, I would replace that Bianchi saddle, replace the bar tape, and that rear derailleur before marketing the bike.

Last edited by wrk101; 06-27-13 at 04:53 PM.
wrk101 is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 06:54 PM
  #6  
ifjeepmadeabike
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
1. Where are you located?

2. What method/venue do you plan to use for selling?

3. If ebay, what experience do you have as a seller, and are you willing and able to carefully package and ship at a reasonable cost? ebay is the land of variance, one bike goes way high, the next one goes low, another goes just about as expected. Some of it is marketing, some is just luck (it takes two bidders that have to have your bike to drive the price up).

Good money for sure. Replacement rear derailleur is a nasty distraction/wart on the bike, that should be replaced with the original prior to marketing.

Your ability to market, whether a local sale or ebay, will determine about half of the value you do get. Many valuable/worthy bikes sell for well under market due to the seller's insufficient marketing effort.

Personally, I would replace that Bianchi saddle, replace the bar tape, and that rear derailleur before marketing the bike.

I'm in Indianapolis, the market here is good up to a few hundred dollars, then painful after that. So, what type of tape would you recommend? What type of seat? with those done, what price point should I start it at? Probably going to use ebay/craigslist to sell it. Unless of course there's another method that's a better option. Also, thank you for all the information, it's certainly appreciated.
ifjeepmadeabike is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 07:09 PM
  #7  
bertinjim 
Senior Member
 
bertinjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Region, Canada
Posts: 1,256

Bikes: 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1970s Carlton Kermesse, 1982 Peugeot PB 12

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 65 Posts
ifjeepmadeabike - Definitely a PX 10. PX 60s have a slotted generator tab braze-on found on the left rear seat stay. Your bike does not. Saddle - Brooks Professional was a standard OEM fitting. Replace the levers with Mafac and the Simplex derailleurs. Collectors will not appreciate the modern add-ons and they will severely reduce the value of your offering. Good luck with your re-sale.
bertinjim is offline  
Old 06-27-13, 07:32 PM
  #8  
ifjeepmadeabike
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, now I'm stumped. I've read a couple places the PX-10 wasn't offered in red.
ifjeepmadeabike is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 06:44 AM
  #9  
wrk101
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 22,599

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by ifjeepmadeabike View Post
I'm in Indianapolis, the market here is good up to a few hundred dollars, then painful after that.
That's typical in most markets. At higher prices, C/L is a great place for buyers, lousy for sellers. So I am usually a buyer of the high price stuff, that tends to go for half of ebay pricing or less.

You are facing a choice, spend some money putting the bike back into its original orientation, or part it out. Both require work, but rebuilding requires work and money for parts. Either way, to part it out, you will need the time/tools/aptitude to disassemble it yourself. Paying others to do so will transfer the profits from YOU to THEM.

Better options than C/L or ebay? Depends on your goal. If highest $$ is most important? ebay is the best, garage sale is the worst. If convenience is the most important? Donating is the best, ebay is the worst. As crazy as it sounds, people donate valuable stuff all the time, from bicycles to cars to furniture.

Selling as is = project = steep discount but less work.
wrk101 is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 09:17 AM
  #10  
HurleyR6
Junior Member
 
HurleyR6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 7

Bikes: 1985 Peugeot PH10LE (FG), 197? Falcon San Remo, 1994 Cannondale M300 commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ifjeepmadeabike View Post
Hmm, now I'm stumped. I've read a couple places the PX-10 wasn't offered in red.
From the catalogs posted on the retropeugeot site, it looks like your bike is a 1977 (specs) or 1978 (specs). According to the spec sheets, red was offered both years.
HurleyR6 is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 12:18 PM
  #11  
ifjeepmadeabike
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
That's typical in most markets. At higher prices, C/L is a great place for buyers, lousy for sellers. So I am usually a buyer of the high price stuff, that tends to go for half of ebay pricing or less.

You are facing a choice, spend some money putting the bike back into its original orientation, or part it out. Both require work, but rebuilding requires work and money for parts. Either way, to part it out, you will need the time/tools/aptitude to disassemble it yourself. Paying others to do so will transfer the profits from YOU to THEM.

Better options than C/L or ebay? Depends on your goal. If highest $$ is most important? ebay is the best, garage sale is the worst. If convenience is the most important? Donating is the best, ebay is the worst. As crazy as it sounds, people donate valuable stuff all the time, from bicycles to cars to furniture.

Selling as is = project = steep discount but less work.
Wow, thank you for the extreme amount of helpful information. Now I've got to figure out if it's worth making it complete. It seems like the prices for the very few missing components I need are pricey, but potentially worth it.
ifjeepmadeabike is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 12:19 PM
  #12  
ifjeepmadeabike
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HurleyR6 View Post
From the catalogs posted on the retropeugeot site, it looks like your bike is a 1977 (specs) or 1978 (specs). According to the spec sheets, red was offered both years.
AH ha! It appears that's the one. Wish I could find some sort of a reference for price, but seems difficult via ebay. Is this a somewhat rare bike?
ifjeepmadeabike is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 12:46 PM
  #13  
Chombi
Senior Member
 
Chombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,138

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
PX10s have been popping up inthe market with more regularity than a few years ago, so prices had been depressed since back then. I still remember a few years ago when PX10s extracted more excitement from buyers and the best examples were easily going over $1K, But I don't thnik that's the case these days. It's not uncommon to see good examples of PX10's today sell for just above $800 on the best days......or less
Supply is just outstripping demand these days....... I don't think PX10s are that rare in general....
Maybe the appetite for Classic French bikes like the PX10s have also been sated for Japanese and other far eastern collectors in the past few years, so demand for such bikes in those hot markets had also gone down.
Maybe it's a good chance to just keep the bike for a while and enjoy restoring and riding it if it fits, then sell it when the market swings up again in the future........
Chombi is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 12:51 PM
  #14  
ifjeepmadeabike
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi View Post
PX10s have been popping up inthe market with more regularity than a few years ago, so prices had been depressed since back then. I still remember a few years ago when PX10s extracted more excitement from buyers and the best examples were easily going over $1K, But I don't thnik that's the case these days. It's not uncommon to see good examples of PX10's today sell for just above $800 on the best days......or less
Supply is just outstripping demand these days....... I don't think PX10s are that rare in general....
Maybe the appetite for Classic French bikes like the PX10s have also been sated for Japanese and other far eastern collectors in the past few years, so demand for such bikes in those hot markets had also gone down.
Maybe it's a good chance to just keep the bike for a while and enjoy restoring and riding it if it fits, then sell it when the market swings up again in the future........
I wish I could ride it. I'm 6'4" and it's a 23" frame. If I could fit it, I'd probably make it my daily for a while.
ifjeepmadeabike is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 12:54 PM
  #15  
ifjeepmadeabike
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the looks of prices I'm better off parting it out I think. I've gotten a few offers but none of them are more than what I can sell even 1/4th of the parts for. Putting another 300 into it to get 600 tops doesn't seem like a good idea either. Sadly, parting it out looks like the only viable option.
ifjeepmadeabike is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 02:59 PM
  #16  
wrk101
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 22,599

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by ifjeepmadeabike View Post
From the looks of prices I'm better off parting it out I think. I've gotten a few offers but none of them are more than what I can sell even 1/4th of the parts for. Putting another 300 into it to get 600 tops doesn't seem like a good idea either. Sadly, parting it out looks like the only viable option.
That's what happens often on higher end bikes, particularly one that is not complete. The frameset on feebay will probably bring as much or more than the bike as it sits. And returning it to stock will not be cheap as you discovered.

As far as pricing, there are plenty of completed auctions on ebay for PX10s. Keep your search simple, don't muck it up asking for just red ones or whatever.

Although some sellers of PX10s on ebay put rare in their title, bikes are not rare. Look how many sell on ebay. There are about 25 PX10 bikes or framesets in my completed auction search.

Ignore asking prices! Sellers can ask any price they want, including sky high ridiculous prices. Its all about what buyers will pay, not what silly sellers hope to get.

As far as parting out being sad, consider if you want to return your bike to its original configuration, you would NEED someone else to part one out to provide those parts. Now if it were some super rare, one of a kind bike, then yes, parting it out would be really sad.
wrk101 is offline  
Old 06-28-13, 08:08 PM
  #17  
ifjeepmadeabike
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
That's what happens often on higher end bikes, particularly one that is not complete. The frameset on feebay will probably bring as much or more than the bike as it sits. And returning it to stock will not be cheap as you discovered.

As far as pricing, there are plenty of completed auctions on ebay for PX10s. Keep your search simple, don't muck it up asking for just red ones or whatever.

Although some sellers of PX10s on ebay put rare in their title, bikes are not rare. Look how many sell on ebay. There are about 25 PX10 bikes or framesets in my completed auction search.

Ignore asking prices! Sellers can ask any price they want, including sky high ridiculous prices. Its all about what buyers will pay, not what silly sellers hope to get.

As far as parting out being sad, consider if you want to return your bike to its original configuration, you would NEED someone else to part one out to provide those parts. Now if it were some super rare, one of a kind bike, then yes, parting it out would be really sad.

Ah, that's a valid point. I could be giving new life to someone else's incomplete.

I was looking at some of those completed and damn, 150.00 for a complete seems like it would hurt. Plus figuring about 20% will get gobbled up by Ebay and paypal, ouch. Ebay is pretty much the lottery. 750 for one in worse shape than mine, 150 for one in somewhat the same. There needs to be a better way.

Last edited by ifjeepmadeabike; 06-28-13 at 08:34 PM.
ifjeepmadeabike is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 03:27 PM
  #18  
aciresi132
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im also located in Indianapolis are you going to plan on selling this bike?
aciresi132 is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 03:40 PM
  #19  
oddjob2
Still learning
 
oddjob2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North of Canada, Adirondacks
Posts: 11,614

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 31 Posts
It's been on craigslist for over a week.
oddjob2 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
akis
Classic & Vintage
3
09-14-14 07:02 PM
Zodist
Classic & Vintage
10
06-24-14 03:44 PM
mrgarbageman
Classic & Vintage
7
04-17-14 06:27 PM
kingbabi
Classic & Vintage
6
04-16-14 12:36 PM
randyjawa
Classic & Vintage
13
01-11-12 09:05 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.