Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Is this Bob Jackson really worth $2k?

Old 09-26-13, 11:16 AM
  #1  
Cyclosaurus
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Cyclosaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago Western 'burbs
Posts: 1,065

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this Bob Jackson really worth $2k?

I'm intrigued by it but the price seems pretty high. It's my size and it seems like something you don't normally come across, so is this the real deal?

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/bik/4092538090.html
Cyclosaurus is offline  
Old 09-26-13, 11:43 AM
  #2  
oddjob2
Still learning
 
oddjob2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North of Canada, Adirondacks
Posts: 11,614

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 31 Posts
A new Bob Jackson touring frame is about $800. $1200 additional would get you pretty decent components, some new, some old, some borrowed.

https://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/pr...products_id=43

Maybe at $1300-$1500 it would make sense?

Then again, a Rivendell touring rig tops out at over $3000 new, so who really knows?
oddjob2 is offline  
Old 09-26-13, 11:51 AM
  #3  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 17,828

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4851 Post(s)
Liked 1,302 Times in 871 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2 View Post
A new Bob Jackson touring frame is about $800. $1200 additional would get you pretty decent components, some new, some old, some borrowed.

https://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/pr...products_id=43

Maybe at $1300-$1500 it would make sense?

Then again, a Rivendell touring rig tops out at over $3000 new, so who really knows?
Oddjob is right. The price depends on how much you value a Bob Jackson. From the point of view of simply buying a touring bike, the price is too high. You can buy a Surly LHT for $1300, have plenty of money to upgrade anything you want with a $2000 budget (esp. since a bike store should be willing to give you some credit for the parts you are upgrading), and actually get a warranty plus after sale service from your LBS. If I were looking for a touring bike, I'd give this a wide pass. If you think Bob Jackson bikes are the coolest thing to hit the cycling world since sliced bread, then you can try to talk the S down to a more reasonable price.
bikemig is offline  
Old 09-26-13, 12:10 PM
  #4  
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 17,117

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 113 Posts
Respectfully - you get what you pay for with a Surly LHT, it isn't a comparable frame. It's more comparable to a Raleigh Super Course, and that's being generous. I'm kind of tired of watching people compare prices of quality lugged double butted frames to tig welded, Taiwanese, mass produced, straight gauge boat anchors. Surly has more in common with a World Sport than this bike. If you want the modern Raleigh Supercourse, that's fine...but don't compare it to a Bob Jackson.

My gut reaction is that it's a little high, but you wouldn't be able to build up a quality tourer much cheaper either; it has a Tubus rack, which is worth about $100...$100 fenders...Paul Cantis ($175)...Phil Hubs...$350...Brooks Flyer $150. We can go on, but I think you're getting the point. This has some pretty nice parts a Surly doesn't have. If I wanted a touring rig, I'd pay 1500 on it without much second guessing - touring bikes get spendy. I have a Koga Miyata Traveler that I've been offered 1500 on...and this MIGHT be worth more to (some) buyers. It might be overpriced, but not by much...and the concept of building this cheaper, or comparably...at this price is totally off base.

Yes - you can build A TOURER for $2000 - but you can't do it with these parts or this frame.

All that said - this would sit all year long on my craigslist forum at that price...eBay? Maybe. Not Craigslist.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 09-26-13 at 12:13 PM.
KonAaron Snake is offline  
Old 09-26-13, 01:04 PM
  #5  
lostarchitect 
incazzare.
 
lostarchitect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 6,951

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
As a guy who loves Bob Jacksons, it's a little high, but it's not crazy. That is a very nice list of parts on a high quality frame, and you would have difficulty replicating it for $2,000.

(And I agree that comparing it to a LHT is not useful. Compare it to a Merican or maybe a Riv.)
__________________
1964 JRJ (Bob Jackson), 1973 Wes Mason, 1974 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1986 Schwinn High Sierra, 2000ish Colian (Colin Laing), 2011 Dick Chafe, 2013 Velo Orange Pass Hunter
lostarchitect is offline  
Old 09-26-13, 01:11 PM
  #6  
oddjob2
Still learning
 
oddjob2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North of Canada, Adirondacks
Posts: 11,614

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 31 Posts
It's offered on ebay at $2k or BO.
oddjob2 is offline  
Old 09-26-13, 02:53 PM
  #7  
Bandera 
~>~
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 5,931
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus View Post
I'm intrigued by it but the price seems pretty high. It's my size and it seems like something you don't normally come across, so is this the real deal?
Not common, and it's your size. Worth the $, only you can say.

You can always have BJ build one for you in choice of color and you can spec it as you please:

"World Tour 550.00

Built from Reynolds 631 Oversize tubing & Fork Blades. Cast Long Point lugs & BJ top eyes on the seat stays, cast bottom bracket shell & crown as the End to End. Cast Horizontal dropouts are also fitted with double eyes front & rear. (Rear Dropout spacing is 130mm as standard, 135mm available on request).This frame is built to fit Cantilever or `V` brakes which allows a 700-32 tyre(MAX) with mudguards to be fitted. Fitted with Lever bosses on the down tube (for down tube levers) & cable eyes on lower headtube (for STI`s, Ergos & bar end shifters), 3 sets of bottle fittings, rack eyes fitted to the seat stays & lowrider fittings on the fork blades, pump pip behind headtube, chain hook, 2 slotted stops on side of the top tube for rear brake cable. Crown, brake& chainstay bridges are tapped for mudguard fitting."

https://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/pr...products_id=43

-Bandera
__________________
'74 Raleigh Internat'l. '77 Trek TX900 FG. '90 Vitus 979. '10 Merckx EMX3. '13 Soma Stanyan
Bandera is offline  
Old 09-27-13, 08:12 AM
  #8  
Cyclosaurus
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Cyclosaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago Western 'burbs
Posts: 1,065

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone. Now I just have to solve n+1 = mad wife problem.
Cyclosaurus is offline  
Old 09-27-13, 08:25 AM
  #9  
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby
 
Poguemahone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Je suis ici
Posts: 5,321

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake View Post
Respectfully - you get what you pay for with a Surly LHT, it isn't a comparable frame. It's more comparable to a Raleigh Super Course, and that's being generous. I'm kind of tired of watching people compare prices of quality lugged double butted frames to tig welded, Taiwanese, mass produced, straight gauge boat anchors. Surly has more in common with a World Sport than this bike. If you want the modern Raleigh Supercourse, that's fine...but don't compare it to a Bob Jackson.

My gut reaction is that it's a little high, but you wouldn't be able to build up a quality tourer much cheaper either; it has a Tubus rack, which is worth about $100...$100 fenders...Paul Cantis ($175)...Phil Hubs...$350...Brooks Flyer $150. We can go on, but I think you're getting the point. This has some pretty nice parts a Surly doesn't have. If I wanted a touring rig, I'd pay 1500 on it without much second guessing - touring bikes get spendy. I have a Koga Miyata Traveler that I've been offered 1500 on...and this MIGHT be worth more to (some) buyers. It might be overpriced, but not by much...and the concept of building this cheaper, or comparably...at this price is totally off base.

Yes - you can build A TOURER for $2000 - but you can't do it with these parts or this frame.

All that said - this would sit all year long on my craigslist forum at that price...eBay? Maybe. Not Craigslist.
Agreed. The question is if you want all that stuff or not. The bike is worth more parted, I suspect in the range the seller is asking. The parts list on this bike is exceptional.
__________________
"It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Poguemahone is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
rperkins146
Classic & Vintage
23
04-11-17 09:52 AM
DandyDave
Touring
30
06-23-13 06:52 AM
longhaultrucker
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
17
07-13-12 04:54 AM
Indy452
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
7
06-29-12 05:15 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.