Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Ltd. Edition 1991 (?) Marin - Worth it?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Ltd. Edition 1991 (?) Marin - Worth it?

Old 02-12-15, 09:46 AM
  #1  
aswarr714
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ltd. Edition 1991 (?) Marin - Worth it?

Hi!

First time posting, but I'm considering dropping $450 on this Marin ( Marin Road Bike - Rare ) and I'm a little nervous. I know the appearance is garish to some, but I'm a college student and I quite like it. But it's a big chunk of money, and I'm not sure if it's worth the price.



The seller has dropped the infamous "All Shimano parts" which probably means they're ****, and the tagline "Rare" makes me think the price has been inflated.

I can probably get a better bike for my cash, but this fits me in both size and style.

Is the price just outlandish?

Thanks guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
00K0K_7JnBxPMwtv1_600x450.jpg (38.6 KB, 191 views)
aswarr714 is offline  
Old 02-12-15, 10:28 AM
  #2  
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,305

Bikes: Mecian

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think those are really 26" wheels as claimed, bike looks pretty shabby and a bit beat. I love the paint scheme though. I am thinking 300 is a more fair price, but I am not a big fan of tig welded frame either.
howsteepisit is offline  
Old 02-12-15, 10:38 AM
  #3  
SkyDog75
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 3,794

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The Marin Limited Edition was a decent bike, with Tange double-butted tubing and Shimano 105 components. Not super high-end, but pretty nice. Even if you like the bike enough to pay a premium for it, I'd say the price is at least $150 too high, though.
SkyDog75 is offline  
Old 02-12-15, 10:44 AM
  #4  
mparker326
Senior Member
 
mparker326's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,978

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That bike has been posted for a month. The market has spoken. There is no way that bike is in like new condition. It is filthy and chances are it needs a full tune up. Unless you can do those things yourself, you are looking at another $150 on top of what you pay.

I think you can do a lot better for $450.
mparker326 is offline  
Old 02-12-15, 11:20 AM
  #5  
Clang
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South of the Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 3,105
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 100 Posts
I really like this Marin too. The paint is a polarizing feature, and as it appears that since this ad has been up for a month in a strong bike market like Austin, nobody has bitten at $450. Why? It's dirty, the seat is scuffed, you need to replace the pedals if you don't have compatible footwear. The seller can't tell the difference between 26" wheels and 700c, so is he arriving at the price via reason and logic or is he pulling the number out of a hat? He hasn't changed the price in over a month, so how likely is he to budge? Try to get it under $300.

One thing if you look at it is make sure to look at the rear wheel. In the pictures, the rear brake's quick release is open, which could indicate a rear rim with a wobble in it. Maybe it does and the rim is tacoed beyond repair. Maybe it wobbles and it just needs to be trued. Maybe it's true and the dude didn't realize the brake was open. Generally, someone flipping the bike over to do maintenance is a bad sign.
Clang is offline  
Old 02-12-15, 11:41 AM
  #6  
oddjob2
Still learning
 
oddjob2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North of Canada, Adirondacks
Posts: 11,603

Bikes: 45 keepers, 31 others to sell

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 24 Posts
If you're a college student, this Centurion Ironman is more budget friendly. If you're 5'8-5'10 it should fit.

56cm Centurion Road Bike **Dave Scott Ironman edition**

Good value, aluminum Trek
56 cm. - "Trek" * ROAD BIKE * ( Aluminum / Dura-Ace ) - $350

Peugeot - Reynolds 501 Frame - $200, $150 target, but needs an overhaul
Vintage Peugeot 12 Vitesses - Speed Bike 55 cm Light and Small

Last edited by oddjob2; 02-12-15 at 11:52 AM.
oddjob2 is offline  
Old 02-12-15, 02:46 PM
  #7  
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shady Pines Retirement Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 26,834

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 537 Times in 326 Posts
I don't know about rare, but that 24yo bike needs a lot of eblow grease. A complete overhaul and through cleaning, maybe new brake pads as well. No way I would every pay $450 for it in that condition.



__________________
Bianchis '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, '93 Reparto Corse SBX

Others but still loved; '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape SLX Bertoni "Speckled Trout"
Bianchigirll is offline  
Old 02-12-15, 05:00 PM
  #8  
aswarr714
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys, thank you so much. This was exactly what I was looking for when I made this post. You've saved me a ton of money. I decided that a flashy paint job isn't worth the cash that I can put toward a ready to ride bike with better parts.

Originally Posted by oddjob2 View Post
If you're a college student, this Centurion Ironman is more budget friendly. If you're 5'8-5'10 it should fit.

56cm Centurion Road Bike **Dave Scott Ironman edition**

Good value, aluminum Trek
56 cm. - "Trek" * ROAD BIKE * ( Aluminum / Dura-Ace ) - $350

Peugeot - Reynolds 501 Frame - $200, $150 target, but needs an overhaul
Vintage Peugeot 12 Vitesses - Speed Bike 55 cm Light and Small
THANK YOU for your suggestions!! I've contacted the owner of the Trek and I'm loving the Peugeot. Would you suggest going for the Trek, or the Peugeot instead and use the extra money to get it overhauled?
aswarr714 is offline  
Old 02-12-15, 05:09 PM
  #9  
Fahrenheit531 
Must. Find. Shade.
 
Fahrenheit531's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 3,598

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79); Trek Madone 5.2 ('08)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 86 Posts
Trek.
__________________
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Fahrenheit531 is offline  
Old 02-12-15, 05:15 PM
  #10  
aswarr714
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vintage Lightweight Bike - Excellent Condition

This seems like a fine bike as well. Never heard of Takara though... desirable?
aswarr714 is offline  
Old 02-12-15, 06:39 PM
  #11  
oddjob2
Still learning
 
oddjob2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North of Canada, Adirondacks
Posts: 11,603

Bikes: 45 keepers, 31 others to sell

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by aswarr714 View Post
Vintage Lightweight Bike - Excellent Condition

This seems like a fine bike as well. Never heard of Takara though... desirable?
Your instinct about high quality is on the mark. However, the bold caption is exactly why I wouldn't buy it. When you want to sell it, you'll take a beating on price or wait forever.

Personally, if you plan to leave a bike unattended on the Longhorn's campus, I wouldn't spend $400. I'd pick the Ironman and thank my lucky stars. You can always get a new wheel set for $140 if that's important. Lots of fans on BF for them.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...aint-jobs.html

I have a smoke grey Ironman Expert and have bought this very bike from Joe and will mount the wheelset below on it. It's waiting in my friend's garage in Dayton.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...an-expert.html

Wheelset
Mavic CXP22 Shimano 105 Hubs All Silver Road Bike Wheels 32h [66801 & 66802 or 66803] - $139.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike
oddjob2 is offline  
Old 02-12-15, 08:39 PM
  #12  
aswarr714
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2 View Post
Your instinct about high quality is on the mark. However, the bold caption is exactly why I wouldn't buy it. When you want to sell it, you'll take a beating on price or wait forever.

Personally, if you plan to leave a bike unattended on the Longhorn's campus, I wouldn't spend $400. I'd pick the Ironman and thank my lucky stars. You can always get a new wheel set for $140 if that's important. Lots of fans on BF for them.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...aint-jobs.html

I have a smoke grey Ironman Expert and have bought this very bike from Joe and will mount the wheelset below on it. It's waiting in my friend's garage in Dayton.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...an-expert.html

Wheelset
Mavic CXP22 Shimano 105 Hubs All Silver Road Bike Wheels 32h [66801 & 66802 or 66803] - $139.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

Just found out that unfortunately the Centurion was sold three weeks ago. I didn't know there was such an Ironman community, I missed out!
Thank you for the advice.. I agree about being careful with my bike on campus. My Marin Lombard was stolen freshman year and three years later I've finally gained back the confidence to invest in a good bike again.
Deciding between the Trek and Takara... And two nice locks.
aswarr714 is offline  
Old 02-12-15, 09:06 PM
  #13  
DMC707
Senior Member
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 3,751

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2 View Post
Your instinct about high quality is on the mark. However, the bold caption is exactly why I wouldn't buy it. When you want to sell it, you'll take a beating on price or wait forever.


https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...aint-jobs.html
e
Im enjoying that thread! Really takes me back seeing those Dave Scott signature models ----
Dave Scott and Davis Phinney were my 2 cycling "heroes" as a very young man --- Triathlon was my first interest and i really wanted one of those Centurion's - (When your young and impressionable, brand recognition means a lot - LOL )

My first bike was actually a Marin like the subject of this thread though -- My local Husqvarna/KTM dealer also sold bikes and they cut me a great deal on one --- It wasnt a Centurion, but the more miles i put on, the more i realized that brand names dont matter, and the coolest bikes out there were ones i had NEVER heard of before (DeRosa, Colnago, et al ) -- Needless to say , i rode that day glo machine for 3 years , -- then, (and in keeping with my moto mindset) upgraded to a GT Edge aluminum with tubulars -- it was at least 5 pounds lighter than the steel Marin and felt like it had a turbocharger under the seat in comparison

I started a thread about these old Marins a few months back on here , and i even sent the Craigslist guy an email on this one to see what his "bottom dollar" might be , filth and all --- I dont know why - i have a garage full of lighter, faster, cooler bikes , - but just thought it would be neat to go on a 50 miler on my "old bike" --
--- chances are i would go running back to my '13 Cannondale Carbon bike as fast as i could , --- but good gosh, that garish paint job --- It got to be almost embarrassing taking it out i'd get so many comments on it
--- the most common in that era would be people mistaking it for on the old Team Z bikes from afar, - then they'd get up close, see the mountain bike style Tig welding and 105 components and realize they were duped --

OP -- that Takara looks bichin', ---
--- It looks like it needs nothing , and the Concor saddle is an extra 100 bucks right there (if you can believe ebay prices) -- one of my all time favorite saddles , -- Not sure if its worth $400 -- but its easy to spend more on less
-- the Power Grips on the pedals point to a rider who was a little bit experienced to spec those, -- they're a nice touch from a functional perspective
I only remember Takara for building touring bikes - but obviously this is a sport oriented bike.
I kind of lump them in with brands like Kabuki, Lotus, early Bridgestone, Shogun , among other Japanese brands

Last edited by DMC707; 02-12-15 at 09:23 PM.
DMC707 is offline  
Old 02-12-15, 09:26 PM
  #14  
aswarr714
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707 View Post
Im enjoying that thread! Really takes me back seeing those Dave Scott signature models ----
Dave Scott and Davis Phinney were my 2 cycling "heroes" as a very young man --- Triathlon was my first interest and i really wanted one of those Centurion's - (When your young and impressionable, brand recognition means a lot - LOL )

My first bike was actually a Marin like the subject of this thread though -- My local Husqvarna/KTM dealer also sold bikes and they cut me a great deal on one --- It wasnt a Centurion, but the more miles i put on, the more i realized that brand names dont matter, and the coolest bikes out there were ones i had NEVER heard of before (DeRosa, Colnago, et al ) -- Needless to say , i rode that day glo machine for 3 years , -- then, (and in keeping with my moto mindset) upgraded to a GT Edge aluminum with tubulars -- it was at least 5 pounds lighter than the steel Marin and felt like it had a turbocharger under the seat in comparison

I started a thread about these old Marins a few months back on here , and i even sent the Craigslist guy an email on this one to see what his "bottom dollar" might be , filth and all --- I dont know why - i have a garage full of lighter, faster, cooler bikes , - but just thought it would be neat to go on a 50 miler on my "old bike" --
--- chances are i would go running back to my '13 Cannondale Carbon bike as fast as i could , --- but good gosh, that garish paint job --- It got to be almost embarrassing taking it out i'd get so many comments on it
--- the most common in that era would be people mistaking it for on the old Team Z bikes from afar, - then they'd get up close, see the mountain bike style Tig welding and 105 components and realize they were duped --

OP -- that Takara looks bichin', --- my only thoughts are
1) Did Takara make a bike that high end back then? Or did somebody upgrade a lower tiered frame --- I only remember Takara for making touring style bikes
--- It looks like it needs nothing though , and the Concor saddle is an extra 100 bucks right there (if you can believe ebay prices) -- one of my all time favorite saddles ,
I'm going to do some research on the Takara tonight. I'm really leaning toward it right now though, going to maybe test ride this weekend.

I'd love to know what the seller of that Marin says! I offered 350 earlier (before deciding I didn't want it) and he accepted easily.
I don't want to have to put any work into my new bike, so I guess it'd make a good project for someone.
aswarr714 is offline  
Old 02-12-15, 09:44 PM
  #15  
DMC707
Senior Member
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 3,751

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by aswarr714 View Post
I'm going to do some research on the Takara tonight. I'm really leaning toward it right now though, going to maybe test ride this weekend.

I'd love to know what the seller of that Marin says! I offered 350 earlier (before deciding I didn't want it) and he accepted easily.
I don't want to have to put any work into my new bike, so I guess it'd make a good project for someone.
LOL -- thats good to know i guess --- I was internet browsing looking for one of those 2 months ago (thread below) - and up yours popped
---- I mentioned in this thread i might go "Long Green" for the right bike, but not that filthy little thing- LOL , but its a neat bike in a way --- mine only cost me $750 i think in late 1991 or 92 . - But i'd really like to find one still in great shape


https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...rin-bikes.html


I have a massive collection of Park tools and a decent workstand , so im not really afraid of a project or two, --- but its aggravating working on bikes that people never took care of --- I just finished a similar clean up operation on a Cannondale Criterium bike and it took 2 full evenings (spread out between runs to the parts store for cables, housing, and other things - , - the headset was dimpled for instance from someone applying Armstrong torque to the steering nut at one time, and the bike had been pressure washed a time or two, as the bottom bracket bearings were pitted little sludge balls
----- On the outside before i dug in , the bike looked great though -- LOL

Good luck on whatever you settle on ---- like i said , i never should have clicked on that photo thread of the Centurion's -- LOL - which was in roughly the same category of bike as this Marin --- these aren't vintage Masi's or Battaglin's ! Why am i looking? ---- LOL -- old bikes are fun.
DMC707 is offline  
Old 02-13-15, 09:56 AM
  #16  
oddjob2
Still learning
 
oddjob2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North of Canada, Adirondacks
Posts: 11,603

Bikes: 45 keepers, 31 others to sell

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 24 Posts
Bargain Centurion LeMans $100 - cool paint. REI will get you rolling with a pair of Serfas Secas and tubes for about $75.

Ten Speed Bike

Last edited by oddjob2; 02-13-15 at 09:59 AM.
oddjob2 is offline  
Old 02-13-15, 09:06 PM
  #17  
Narhay
Senior Member
 
Narhay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 3,215
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 182 Times in 122 Posts
I've never seen a seller like the one with the Marin max out the number of available photos and still show next to nothing useful. I have a tricolour 1991 Team Marin mtb and I like it but people sometimes s****** when they see the paint.
Narhay is offline  
Old 02-25-15, 01:19 PM
  #18  
MinkelR
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked one of these up for $100 not too long ago in a little worse shape. It rides and handles well. Like others have said it's not worth what the guy is asking.
MinkelR is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
IcySmooth52
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
7
01-27-15 10:00 PM
miticomari
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
6
06-03-13 08:51 AM
j2thel
Classic & Vintage
10
02-08-13 09:06 PM
ohaider
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
5
09-28-11 03:45 PM
adclark
Road Cycling
6
02-10-11 09:18 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.