Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Giant Innova hybrid bike - Worth it or not?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Giant Innova hybrid bike - Worth it or not?

Old 02-13-15, 12:48 PM
  #1  
Youal
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant Innova hybrid bike - Worth it or not?

I went by local swap shop just a few days ago and I saw that a Giant Innova hybrid bike in tuned-up riding condition was on sale for 79$. This seems like a good deal. Please let me know if its worth it or not. Thanks.
Youal is offline  
Old 02-13-15, 01:46 PM
  #2  
Thumpic
Senior Member
 
Thumpic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Sunny South
Posts: 1,913
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it fits and you want a casual rider, its ok. That's all it'll ever be worth though. Of course with no pics; it may have a bent fork or something else that might have been over looked.
Thumpic is offline  
Old 02-13-15, 06:15 PM
  #3  
davester
Senior Member
 
davester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 1,881

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 134 Posts
Where is said "swap shop" located? If it's in the SF bay area I might just drop by and see if it is my wife's stolen Giant Innova. Is the bike metallic green?

Originally Posted by Youal View Post
I went by local swap shop just a few days ago and I saw that a Giant Innova hybrid bike in tuned-up riding condition was on sale for 79$. This seems like a good deal. Please let me know if its worth it or not. Thanks.
davester is offline  
Old 02-13-15, 09:49 PM
  #4  
Youal
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davester View Post
Where is said "swap shop" located? If it's in the SF bay area I might just drop by and see if it is my wife's stolen Giant Innova. Is the bike metallic green?
Swap shop is the actual name of the store and no, its not in the SF bay area. I'm from Canada and the frame is white so its not your wife's stolen bike...sorry about the loss.

Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
If it was a good deal, it should be gone by now. If they still have it, it probably isn't such a good deal. Without pics, no idea. In general, vintage Giant hybrids are not worth much. So if it needs much TLC, deal is not so hot. Swap shops around here sell bikes in as found condition, they tend to need full service, tires, cables, etc. Doesn't keep them from describing them as "ready to ride".
The frame is in good condition, no bend or damage. I think the shop around here has a policy of not selling a bike unless they can get it fully functional. The model could be from either mid to late 90's.

Thanks for the tip everybody. If I get a chance, I'll swing by there again and try to get some pictures to post here.
Youal is offline  
Old 02-13-15, 11:00 PM
  #5  
sunnyone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 184

Bikes: 1992 Trek 750 Multitrack, 1983 Zebrakenko Wind, 1982 Takara Tribute, 77 Takara mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I bought one used in '09 for 25 dollars, but it needed a fair amount of work. I overhauled it, tuned it up, put upright "tourist" bars on it and use it for my grocery-getter. Mine is white with blue decals. It has a cromolly frame and fork, nice Araya rims, and Shimano 200 push-push shifters. I really like the bike. The only problem I had with it was the shifters tended to go wacky when the weather got cold. I guess they were gummed up with old grease. I flushed them with copious amounts of WD40 and that seemed to take care of the problem.
sunnyone is offline  
Old 02-14-15, 09:14 AM
  #6  
Youal
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
I bought one used in '09 for 25 dollars, but it needed a fair amount of work. I overhauled it, tuned it up, put upright "tourist" bars on it and use it for my grocery-getter. Mine is white with blue decals. It has a cromolly frame and fork, nice Araya rims, and Shimano 200 push-push shifters. I really like the bike. The only problem I had with it was the shifters tended to go wacky when the weather got cold. I guess they were gummed up with old grease. I flushed them with copious amounts of WD40 and that seemed to take care of the problem.
That could be the exact model at the shop as yours. This also has white with blue decals and it has a cromolly frame. If you happen to have any pictures of it, it would be great if you can post it here as I'm curious to see what it looks like. That's a pretty good deal you got there.
Youal is offline  
Old 02-14-15, 09:14 PM
  #7  
sunnyone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 184

Bikes: 1992 Trek 750 Multitrack, 1983 Zebrakenko Wind, 1982 Takara Tribute, 77 Takara mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts


Here's an older photo - before I put the tourist bars on. It's a nice solid bike; I'd pay 80$ for one if it was in good shape, and I wanted it for my own rider.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
giant innova.jpg (102.2 KB, 298 views)
sunnyone is offline  
Old 02-15-15, 04:16 AM
  #8  
oddjob2
Still learning
 
oddjob2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North of Canada, Adirondacks
Posts: 11,614

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 31 Posts
Rideable bike in good nic? If it fits, what's to lose? Check out mytenspeeds.com for evaluation tips. Hybrids are under appreciated in this forum, but provide good value for 97% of the population that need or want a utilitiarian bicycle.
oddjob2 is offline  
Old 02-15-15, 12:47 PM
  #9  
Youal
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post


Here's an older photo - before I put the tourist bars on. It's a nice solid bike; I'd pay 80$ for one if it was in good shape, and I wanted it for my own rider.
Yep, thats the one, minus the handle bar and fender and yours looks in perfect condition in comparison. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by oddjob2 View Post
Rideable bike in good nic? If it fits, what's to lose? Check out mytenspeeds.com for evaluation tips. Hybrids are under appreciated in this forum, but provide good value for 97% of the population that need or want a utilitiarian bicycle.
Even though I never own a Hybrid bike before, I think this type could serve my needs for just commuting and riding on the road at moderate distances. I wonder why its undervalue around here. Your site has been helpful so I appreciate your advice.
Youal is offline  
Old 07-18-17, 07:23 AM
  #10  
mtc1966
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
I bought one used in '09 for 25 dollars, but it needed a fair amount of work. I overhauled it, tuned it up, put upright "tourist" bars on it and use it for my grocery-getter. Mine is white with blue decals. It has a cromolly frame and fork, nice Araya rims, and Shimano 200 push-push shifters. I really like the bike. The only problem I had with it was the shifters tended to go wacky when the weather got cold. I guess they were gummed up with old grease. I flushed them with copious amounts of WD40 and that seemed to take care of the problem.
hows the riding position . did you have to buy longer cables ? I have 2 innovas we haven't used in years . moving to a beach area was thinking of putting fat tires big seat and taller bars to make a cruiser . but not sure if its worth it may be better of buying a cheap beach cruiser to ride to the pool and back
mtc1966 is offline  
Old 07-18-17, 09:06 AM
  #11  
sunnyone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 184

Bikes: 1992 Trek 750 Multitrack, 1983 Zebrakenko Wind, 1982 Takara Tribute, 77 Takara mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mtc1966 View Post
hows the riding position . did you have to buy longer cables ? I have 2 innovas we haven't used in years . moving to a beach area was thinking of putting fat tires big seat and taller bars to make a cruiser . but not sure if its worth it may be better of buying a cheap beach cruiser to ride to the pool and back
It's my most comfortable bike, with a pretty upright riding position. The bars go up and come back, not as much as cruiser bars, but more like the old Raleigh 3 speeds. Very similar to the Velo Orange tourist bar. I believe I did need longer cables.
sunnyone is offline  
Old 07-18-17, 10:32 AM
  #12  
mtc1966
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
It's my most comfortable bike, with a pretty upright riding position. The bars go up and come back, not as much as cruiser bars, but more like the old Raleigh 3 speeds. Very similar to the Velo Orange tourist bar. I believe I did need longer cables.
okay thanks looks like my wife wants full on cruiser. so now to try and sell 1996 bikes . I am guessing buyers will be slim pickins
mtc1966 is offline  
Old 07-18-17, 12:25 PM
  #13  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 20,667
Mentioned: 557 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3676 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,093 Times in 814 Posts
That looks more like very early 1990s, possibly with Exage 300LX.
T-Mar is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
1965nova
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
9
01-02-16 02:48 PM
ecycler
Road Cycling
3
03-09-14 10:21 PM
SlickCycles
Triathlon
0
11-19-13 07:38 AM
tomtom123
General Cycling Discussion
10
10-06-13 03:19 PM
_dylan
Hybrid Bicycles
2
07-02-12 05:59 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.