Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

WTB: XL frameset, 70s-80s Trek, 70s Moto Grand Record or Jubilee, or ??

Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

WTB: XL frameset, 70s-80s Trek, 70s Moto Grand Record or Jubilee, or ??

Old 05-03-16, 03:34 PM
  #1  
inkandsilver
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
inkandsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
WTB: XL frameset, 70s-80s Trek, 70s Moto Grand Record or Jubilee, or ??

FOUND! Thanks Kobe. I am looking for a 62-66cm frameset. This is for a 650b conversion to be shod with 42mm tires, so the clearances need to be generous to start with. Cosmetic condition is not a big deal, maybe even minor dents, as long as the frame is straight.

Let me know if you have anything interesting. Thanks!

Last edited by inkandsilver; 05-15-16 at 02:32 PM. Reason: found one
inkandsilver is offline  
Old 05-03-16, 04:57 PM
  #2  
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel
 
Barrettscv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lake Geneva, WI
Posts: 12,266

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 100 Posts
I have a 1978 Trek TX900, I don't think you can get a 650x42 to fit the chainstays.

I also have a 25 inch (largest size made in this model) 1977 Motobecane Grand Record. it should take the 650x42. A 27x1 1/4 fits. I'll send you a PM.
__________________
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-03-16 at 05:27 PM.
Barrettscv is offline  
Old 05-03-16, 05:24 PM
  #3  
oddjob2
Still learning
 
oddjob2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North of Canada, Adirondacks
Posts: 11,617

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
I have a blue PX-10 that was just bought. Also Trek 311 and 500.
oddjob2 is offline  
Old 05-03-16, 05:24 PM
  #4  
randyjawa 
Senior Member
 
randyjawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada - burrrrr!
Posts: 10,580

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 749 Times in 462 Posts
Just got this mid seventies Motobecane Grand Record but it is only 60cm c-c. Willing to part out and sell frame set. Prefer to trade for a GR frame in my size, though. Anyway, Reynolds 531, Campy drops, Campy 1972 NR trans, TA crank and bb, Campy Record headset, Dura Ace first generation high flange black anodized hubs laced to Weinmann concave rims, Dura Ace first gen side pull brakes. Everything is in good shape except the faded paint.

__________________
"98% of the bikes I buy are projects".
randyjawa is online now  
Old 05-03-16, 09:44 PM
  #5  
inkandsilver
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
inkandsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
I also have a 25 inch (largest size made in this model) 1977 Motobecane Grand Record. it should take the 650x42. A 27x1 1/4 fits. I'll send you a PM.
Replied.

Originally Posted by oddjob2 View Post
I have a blue PX-10 that was just bought. Also Trek 311 and 500.
Could you tell me more about year, condition, asking price on these? PM if you prefer.

Originally Posted by randyjawa View Post
Just got this mid seventies Motobecane Grand Record but it is only 60cm c-c.
Thanks, Randy, I wouldn't even mind that condition but 60 is too small for me.
inkandsilver is offline  
Old 05-03-16, 11:23 PM
  #6  
Gartenmeister 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I have a Bridgestone 400 and a 1985 Trek 420. Don't know anything about clearances, but if you are interested I can check. The Trek is the 25.5 size. Has a small dent in TT. The Bridgestone is bigger. It has a WTS listing here.

$75 for Bridgestone, $100 for Trek, F/F/HS. Plus shipping of course.

I can mock up and photograph with 650b/38 if seriously interested.

Also, we are close so shipping should be about as good as it gets (which is still not particularly cheap on big frames like these).

Last edited by Gartenmeister; 05-03-16 at 11:26 PM.
Gartenmeister is offline  
Old 05-04-16, 12:02 PM
  #7  
inkandsilver
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
inkandsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gartenmeister View Post
I have a Bridgestone 400 and a 1985 Trek 420. Don't know anything about clearances, but if you are interested I can check. The Trek is the 25.5 size. Has a small dent in TT. The Bridgestone is bigger. It has a WTS listing here.

$75 for Bridgestone, $100 for Trek, F/F/HS. Plus shipping of course.

I can mock up and photograph with 650b/38 if seriously interested.

Also, we are close so shipping should be about as good as it gets (which is still not particularly cheap on big frames like these).
I like those Bridgestones but I think that one's a bit too big. I am interested in the 420 but it looks like it had fastback seatstays... not sure if that makes for enough clearance, but yes, I am interested enough to ask for a mockup. There's no big hurry, though.

Thank you!
inkandsilver is offline  
Old 05-04-16, 06:30 PM
  #8  
Gartenmeister 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by inkandsilver View Post
I am interested in the 420 but it looks like it had fastback seatstays... not sure if that makes for enough clearance, but yes, I am interested enough to ask for a mockup. There's no big hurry, though.
I don't know what fastback is but the seatstays are fine with 38s. Chainstays however are close. You could get away with running the 38s on this frame but no way on 42s.









Gartenmeister is offline  
Old 05-05-16, 08:18 AM
  #9  
Gartenmeister 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
How about this? It is a 1976 Gitane Interclub. Has 531 frame, like TdF. Paint is terrible, but if you can get by it there is a cool bike underneath. Measures around 63x59. Clearances look pretty generous.

$125 for F/F/HS. Some other parts available, cheap.



Gartenmeister is offline  
Old 05-05-16, 08:19 AM
  #10  
Sedgemop
Senior Member
 
Sedgemop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 352

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '72 Gitane Tour de France '78 Raleigh Super Course '85 Trek 830 '85 Trek 760

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by inkandsilver View Post
I am looking for a 62-66cm frameset. This is for a 650b conversion to be shod with 42mm tires, so the clearances need to be generous to start with. Cosmetic condition is not a big deal, maybe even minor dents, as long as the frame is straight.

Let me know if you have anything interesting. Thanks!
To use tires as big as 42mm on a vintage Trek, you'll probably have to go with a full blown tourer, like the 720 or 620. I tried doing the same as you on an '78 TX500 and could only go as big as 38mm, as others have said. You'll have to crimp the chainstays to go larger.
Sedgemop is offline  
Old 05-05-16, 08:23 AM
  #11  
Sedgemop
Senior Member
 
Sedgemop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 352

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '72 Gitane Tour de France '78 Raleigh Super Course '85 Trek 830 '85 Trek 760

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Not mine, but might be worth checking out:

Road frames for sale basso rossin trek specialized reynolds columbus

[h=2]Road frames for sale basso rossin trek specialized reynolds columbus - $140[/h]




many road frames measurements are center to top of seat tube:
specialized carbon allez frame 22" $175
specialized carbon allez EPIC FRAME AND FORK 23" $190
TREK 770 REYNOLDS 531 PROFESSIONAL 23" $190

Italian ItalVega Super Special Campagnolo Dropouts 24.75" FRESH POWDERCOAT $190
TREK 714 REYNOLDS 531 25.5"
BASSO COLUMBUS 25" $260
CANNONDALE CRITERIUM xx SMALL FOR 650 WHEELS 18" $140
I HAVE SOME WHEELSETS AVALIABLE
Sedgemop is offline  
Old 05-05-16, 11:22 AM
  #12  
inkandsilver
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
inkandsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gartenmeister View Post
How about this? It is a 1976 Gitane Interclub. Has 531 frame, like TdF. Paint is terrible, but if you can get by it there is a cool bike underneath. Measures around 63x59. Clearances look pretty generous.

$125 for F/F/HS. Some other parts available, cheap.
Ooh, is that orange? Hmm, I am getting lots of interesting options. Still waiting for photos of a few others.

Originally Posted by Sedgemop View Post
To use tires as big as 42mm on a vintage Trek, you'll probably have to go with a full blown tourer, like the 720 or 620. I tried doing the same as you on an '78 TX500 and could only go as big as 38mm, as others have said. You'll have to crimp the chainstays to go larger.
True, that's what I did on my 600. Thanks for sending those listings, too.
inkandsilver is offline  
Old 05-05-16, 11:54 PM
  #13  
Gartenmeister 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by inkandsilver View Post
Ooh, is that orange? Hmm, I am getting lots of interesting options. Still waiting for photos of a few others.
No, it is a hideous faded red. The frame is cool, but the paint is truly wretched. Good candidate for a powder coat, or build a bike that you don't have to lock up.
Gartenmeister is offline  
Old 05-09-16, 08:59 AM
  #14  
Roger M
Senior Member
 
Roger M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Snohomish, WA.
Posts: 2,255
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 94 Posts
I have a green 62cm Peugeot PR10 Frame, fork, hs, bb, from about 1975. It's in real good shape, but has a few scratches. $130 plus shipping & pp fees.
Roger M is offline  
Old 05-09-16, 10:34 AM
  #15  
jjames1452 
Senior Member
 
jjames1452's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 1,353

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 34 Posts
I have a complete Trek 720. Search 720. The thread was a month or two ago.
jjames1452 is offline  
Old 05-09-16, 11:09 AM
  #16  
Kobe 
Senior Member
 
Kobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Schwenksville, Pa
Posts: 2,690
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 78 Posts
A have a 65cm Sequoia and a 65 cm Trek 420 if you are still looking. I don't know about 650b, but the Sequoia will accept 700x35 and the Trek will take 700x42, both originally came with 27" tires. I like to keep it simple and stick to 700c.



__________________
'78 Chris Kvale, '88 Proteus, '07 Rivendell AHH, '13 Black Mountain Cycles Cross, '16 Clockwork All-Rounder, '19 Gunnar Sport





Kobe is offline  
Old 05-09-16, 12:01 PM
  #17  
brandon98
Senior Member
 
brandon98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Columbia County, Georgia
Posts: 286

Bikes: Schwinns: Paramount (Waterford), Peloton (1986 and 1999), 1987 Super Sport. Offbrand bikes: Bianchi Intenso, Diamondback Interval TG (Ironman), Peugeot Triathlon, Masi CX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a copper colored 1980 Raleigh Super Course 12 that is in very good shape. 25" Reynolds 531 frameset. It has the original Raliegh pantographed Suntour derailleurs, Sugino crank, and Weinmann brakes. Original Barcons! It does not have the original wheels. I'd be willing to make somebody a good offer.


Very similar to DAF1009's here:

brandon98 is offline  
Old 05-09-16, 01:22 PM
  #18  
inkandsilver
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
inkandsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, a bunch of great bikes.

Originally Posted by Roger M View Post
I have a green 62cm Peugeot PR10 Frame, fork, hs, bb, from about 1975. It's in real good shape, but has a few scratches. $130 plus shipping & pp fees.
Holy cow, Roger, I have posted before in admiration of that bike... Will send a PM.

Originally Posted by jjames1452 View Post
I have a complete Trek 720. Search 720. The thread was a month or two ago.
Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
A have a 65cm Sequoia and a 65 cm Trek 620 if you are still looking.
Both the 720 and the 620 are great bikes, but I am leaning toward something other than a full-on touring bike.
Kobe, can you post or PM me a little more info about the Sequoia? Top tube length, geometry if you know it, condition, price for f/f/hs, anything else.

Originally Posted by brandon98 View Post
I have a copper colored 1980 Raleigh Super Course 12 that is in very good shape. 25" Reynolds 531 frameset. It has the original Raliegh pantographed Suntour derailleurs, Sugino crank, and Weinmann brakes. Original Barcons! It does not have the original wheels. I'd be willing to make somebody a good offer.
Those are such good looking bikes. I'm just looking for a frameset, though.
inkandsilver is offline  
Old 05-11-16, 07:41 AM
  #19  
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within
 
Standalone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Haven, CT, USA
Posts: 3,398

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Trek brake bridges are fairly high, and fork clearances are fairly low IME. It looks like I will have to use some rather long reach Mafac Racers just to get 700c's to work on my 520.
__________________
The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. Christopher Morley
Standalone is offline  
Old 05-15-16, 02:34 PM
  #20  
inkandsilver
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
inkandsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Found a big-boy frame. Very excited; will post it when complete. Thanks to all for the offers and info.
inkandsilver is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
randyjawa
Classic and Vintage Sales
2
05-04-16 05:08 AM
Roypercy
Classic & Vintage
7
11-02-15 11:11 PM
Roypercy
Classic & Vintage
13
08-15-13 09:40 PM
Anthoswart
Classic & Vintage
41
09-04-12 03:00 AM
twolve
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
4
02-26-11 03:34 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.